RBC11 - Cultured Communist Comrades variant (Byzantines/emperor/archipelago)

Dearest apologies on city locations friends, I forgot to print out a dotmap when I started my turns; in addition I had to hold the Viking settler from claiming the location and when I had just founded Prilep it seemed the Hittites where trying to settle the area as well.

Ridge,

I think the map looks pretty good, but I also thing we really want to start thinking about expanding onto the island to our north (the one that the Iroquois have begun to settle) and the other islands to our W.

LAM, I don't think it is a good idea for us to slow down on settler production as we need to claim as much land as possible as quickly as possible...

So, in light of the above comments, I think we need to continue to push settler production and build some more dromons. If anyone else decides to demand stuff from us, refuse them and hopefully we'll be able to net ourselves a dromon-induced GA...

JMB

Originally posted by Lord_all_Mighty
in addition I had to hold the Viking settler from claiming the location and when I had just founded Prilep it seemed the Hittites where trying to settle the area as well.

I had a feeling that that was the case from reading your turn report. So my appologies to you if I came across too aggressively. As for keeping the dotmap available, I had Dwip's post in front of me in another Window. I could swap back and forth as needed. Hopefully that will work for you.

JMB, I agree that we want to settle the other islands. But absent a luxuries or some other very good reason to settle there, my thought is to fill up our island to its potential first, so that we maximize our wonders. As for the Aztec sites, those are all about claiming luxuries. We could really benefit from additional happiness.

My thought about the GA is to wait for us to finish settling. Our island, at least. That way, all of our cities can benefit from the GA.

BTW, I would not be opposed to declaring on the Vikings. Nabbing their settler for 2 slaves and razing their blemish on our lands would be good. Then, we can continue settling on OUR lands.

What does everyone think of these ideas?

Ridgelake, thanks for your help to increase my postcount :goodjob: (j/k)

"Knight's Templar and such

I like the idea of the Knights Templar. I was thinking the same thing myself. Actually, I think that we should go for all of the early MA wonders. We have enough of a lead that we should be able to get them. Sardica, Heraclea, and Nicaea could hopefully build Sistene, Templar, and Leos, in no particular order.

After Constan finishes Suns, it could go cathedral, colliseum (maybe), and then military. We can support tons of units and can benefit from MPs.

I think that we should go to war with the Vikings sooner rather than later. We don't want them to have any real good reason to send Zerkers to our lands. So removing them from our lands now gets the war over with before they can zerk us. With our weak military, they could do a lot of damage with those."

I like Ridgelake's ideas. I was thinking about claiming the Viking cities myself.

IHT: I prepare the troops for battle vs the Vikings. I want to reclaim our land and take Stavanger. Research is on Chivalry, due in 7 with science at 80% (-30 gpt with 964 gold in the treasury). The Vikings and Romans are in the Middle Ages but haven't got a tech yet. The others are even more backward. The library in Nicomedia is whipped. Trebizond switched from worker to Dromon.

IT: Rome want more for the lux deal, but we run a deficit at the moment. So I must pass for now.

Turn 1 (310 AD) Nicaea: Foreign Palace->Sistine (in 75 :( ). Sistine takes too long->switched to aquaduct to grow. Nicomedia: library->courthouse. One city riots, but I can prevent others from doing the same.

I demand the Vikings to remove their troops from our lands and they do so. I trade ivory, horses and 18 gpt for silks and incense with the Romans. The Dromon in Trebizond is whipped.

IT: The Aztecs finish the Great Wall.

Turn 2 (320 AD) Smyrna: worker->cathedral. Trebizond: Dromon->library.

Turn 3 (330 AD) Naissus: worker->cathedral. Ohrid founded on the pink dot. Starts library.

IT: A barbarian horse kills one our our ancient cavalry.

Turn 4 (340 AD) Chalcedon: spear->settler. Science can be dropped to 50% and we still have Chivalry in 3.

IT: An Aztecs settler nears our second pink dot!

Turn 5 (350 AD) ... : worker->settler. Iconium, Brusa: worker->library. I settle Vicon SW of the purple spot on the island, on the furs. The Aztecs have a lot of troops here and will beat us otherwise... It starts with a harbor.

Turn 6 (360 AD) Heraclea: aquaduct->Sistine Chapel.
Cathedral in Varna whipped for 3 citizens. Science to 40%, Chivalry in 2.

Turn 7 (370 AD) Varna: cathedral->marketplace. Septum: harbor->courthouse. Ancyra, Prileb: worker->library. Science to 20%. Chivalry in 1.

Turn 8 (380 AD) We discover Chivalry and next up is Engineering (in 7 at 80% science).

IT: Finally a Viking galley ends next to our Dromon :evil:

Turn 9 (390 AD) The Vikings know Feudalism now. I declare war on Scandinavia and sink their galley.

We are in the Golden Age :hammer:
Luxury can go from 20% to 10%. We have Engineering in 4 and income is -21 gpt.

-A 5 hitpoint vet AC is redlined vs a spear in Stavanger. The spear has two hitpoints left.
-A 4 hitpoint regular AC kills the wounded spear and loses one hitpoint.
-A 4 hitpoint regular AC kills a regular spear and Stavanger is ours. I keep the city for now.

I demand the Hittites to leave our country and they do so.

Turn 10 (400 AD) Constantinople finishes Sun Tzu. Next up is a cathedral. Science to 70%, Engineering still in 3. We could whip a cathedral in Adrianople (3 citizens). The library in Ancyra is whipped and 2 citizens are killed.

The Aztecs, Romans and Vikings are in the Middle Ages. Rome and Scandinavia have Feudalism, but they can forget about Sun Tzu :D

400 AD save

Changes in our world:

Aggie
Charis <-- Away til Feb 12 or 13 (can jump in on any spot on return)
JMB <-- Up
Dwip <-- On deck
Ridgelake
LAM

Good turn, Aggie.

I got a chance to look at the save. I would be sorely tempted to let Adrianapole and Sardica finish cathedrals and then go on wonders. Adrianapole with SISTENE and Sardica with Templar. Heraclea swap to cathedral and then go for Leos.

Swap tiles around with Varna, Constan, and Nicaea to let Adrianapole get all the BGs and other good tiles around. It will be able to finish Sistene quicker than Heraclea can now do it.

Outside of that, my suggestion is to continue founding cities, particularly on our continent. The two spots on either side of the Iroquois blemish would be good to grab.

It would also be a good idea to get more defenders in our Aztec fur town. They could roll over it in a heartbeat right now....

Lets keep up the good playing

:hammer:

I see it and will play tomorrow night. Then we can either let Dwip take it (and letting Charis play after) or wait until Charis picks it up.

I'll look into the wonders bit and more settling... (we actually might want to think of settling a la Passive Agressive style...)

JMB

0 - Swap Heraclea to a Cathedral, Varna to a settler, Symrna to a settler, Amorium to a settler, Dyrrachium to a settler. IBT, nothing.

1 - Whip citizen in Caesarea to speed up cathedral production. IBT, Palace expansion. The Iroquois begin the GL.

2 - It looks like their might be an Iroquois sneak attack... (they have moved a regular warrior up next to Ancyra). Engineering is due this turn... I also notice that the Hittites have settled on our tundra peninsula... (just as I was sending a settler there...) IBT, the Iroquois declare war on us and the Vikings move a couple of galleys towards us. We defeat their warrior and promote. Begin researching invention (6 turns). The Romans complete the GL.

3 - Our Dromon loses 4 straight to the Viking galley. Prepare for the upcoming invasions... IBT, Palace expansion. One of our ACs kills 6 barb horsemen and promotes twice to elite. Surprisingly enough, no landings.

4 - Are we industrious or something? How come it only takes a worker 4 turns to clear a forest? Nothing much.

5 - We sink an Iroquois galley and kill their warrior. IBT, Palace expansion.

6 - Well, we can get peace with the Vikings at any time (they will even pay us 4 gpt and 42 gold...). I see no reason to stop right now, so we stay at war with them... IBT, we defeat a Viking archer outside our Aztec town. Another Palace expansion.

7 - Nothing much. IBT, Palace expansion...

8 - Nothing much. Invention due next turn... I decide it is time to clear our lands or foreign aliens and declare war on Mursilis. We capture Tyrana. Wow, war weariness as a Feudalist republic sucks. IBT, begin researching Gunpowder.

9 - We destroy Alepo. IBT, nothing.

10 - We capture Tyendenaga and an Iroquois worker.

I'll leave the game here with several units left to move (a few military units and a settler). We can make peace with the Vikings now and get one or two cities out of it, and we can also make peace with the Iroquois for a city. I'll leave it up to the next leader to decide. We aren't really under any threat from either of them, so feel free to continue the wars if desired... :hammer:

Keep your eyes peeled for :whipped:ing opportunities (ie, short-rushing)...

Here's the save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/RBC11BC500AD.zip

Have Fun! :D

JMB

Good turn JMB. When you say that War Weariness sucks, I conclude that it is time to make peace with the Vikings. I'm almost sure that we have war hapiness from the Iroquois, so I would not end that war.

Aggie
Charis <-- Up
JMB
Dwip <-- On deck
Ridgelake
Lord All Mighty

EDIT: Are you sure it is war weariness and not unhapiness from whipping. We have to whip imho, but people get unhappy from that.

Ridgelake on our war-weariness:

What caused our appearant unrest is the loss of Roman luxuries when we declared on the Hittites. Our trade route to Rome goes through Hittite coastline. Lets pray that Rome doesnt trade away the luxes during our war with the Hittites. Actually, they might not have anyone to trade them to besides us and the Hittites.

What does everyone think about invading the Hittite lands? We need more cities and they can be hooked up to our mainlands by harbor. They are weak and have some incense in their territory, IIRC.

I'm sure Charis will make a good decision. :hammer:

:cool: <-- Picture of Charis on a Carribean beach :D

Looks like good turns here - I should be able to hop in. I think I'm only up in two (here and RBC1) unless I missed one.
I like your last line of comment, Ridgelage! :hammer:

Charis

Aggie,

Nope, the WW was either caused from declaring on the Hittites or from losing the lux that we were purchasing from Rome (darn, I should have checked on that... Hopefully we were paying them gpt). We have yet to make peace with the Vikings... :hammer:

Also, about the whipping, yes, it does cause unhappiness, but I was about to hit next turn when I decided to declare war on the Hittites. Then, when I went through the cities again, I saw that several (3-4) had went from happy people to content people, and several more had went from content people to unhappy people. I wrote my comment about WW after noticing the significant change in the attitudes of our citizens without considering that it might have been due to a lux-loss.

JMB

We have some war weariness if I read correctly, though weariness vs Hittites?
They have very few cities, but won't talk to us. Likely when they do, in a few,
they may be scared enough to give one? We're also in the middle of a Golden Age which
still has a good lifespan to it. I better reread notes for GA and war declarations -
9 turns left on GA, will last til almost end of my turn. We declared war on Vikings
11 turns ago, the Iro on us 8 turns ago, and us on the Hitties 2 turns ago. You guys
are serious warmongers!! No wonder we're weary, we keep doing the declaring 8-\

The two cities we can get from Iro include Caughnagawa on the isle near us, and
Oka which has a small island to itself (but room for one more). From the Vikings
we're offered Alesund, the medium island west of the other two, which has 2 mixed other
cities on it. The Hitties are small and would likely value peace in some way. What to do?

Our goal is expansion, first on our own continent due to wonderous bonuses, and
second on islands, due to the power of our Dromans. The other primary goal is to
build culture, rapidly (the first goal does this too). Everything else is really
secondary to those. The wonder race is: empty? There is *NO ONE* besides us building
ANY wonders, and we're working on Knight's Templar and Sistine in a GA :lol:
I'm not concerned with 20K in capital - it can be abandoned near the very end without
the civ losing the 19.9K from that city, if it comes to that. Actually, we're not
building one in our capital, though we could get Leo's in 14 for denial. I can't
see why not, actually.

Who are our rivals? Aztecs and Iro mainly, also Americans and Vikings, so beating
on the little guys is not beneificial in itself. Who is on our home continent?

[0] 500AD - A few tile swaps for MM, and a few other swaps like pike to colosseum.
At Edessa our ACav kills a spear, then we fish on their archer, and win.
Gunpowder is due in 4 turns, although we need not really speed along in research.
IBT Ragnar begs for peace. We decline and he lands two archers next to a far-off
city (Vidin) defended by one spear.

[1] 510 - The landing of the Viking forces entices us to take peace. That Vidin
is just asking for trouble though, and it has had a small stack of Aztecs next
to it for a while. Peace is granted for the city of Alesund, plus 18g. The weariness
must have been small, no change in happiness.

[2] 520 - Taormina is founded near Tyenedaga in North, and New Constantinople in South.
Oh MY it's nice to see newly founded cities already with temple, granary and rax!

[3] 530 - Have I mentioned the Dromon bombard attack animation is rather cool :p
Splish-splash goes a Hittite boat. Not only that, we promoted on the lethal bombard.

[4] 540 - Gandasetaigon hits size 2, nice! Our ACav in waiting position now strikes,
and defeats the one spear to take the city.

[5] 550 - The wetland in North is cleared, and we can now settle - New Adrianople.

[6] 560 - Hittite and Iro ships sunk. New Caesarea is founded.

[7] 570 - The rest of the world FINALLY thinks about a wonder. Romans start Leo's.
That's 7 turns before we're due to finish it in Constantinople :p

[8] 580 - Semi-quiet turn, killing two loose Iro units, and moving up on next city.
Maybe it's time to check diplo? Rome and Vikings lack Mono and Gunpowder.
Americans are WAY behind, middle of Ancient Era, as are Incans.
It's been a while since my last turn, but... what happened to our rep? The Aztecs
sell us a worker for 98g but would not take gpt for it 8-\ Be glad we're not
needing to buy much tech. Other civs aren't as upset, and will trade gpt.
Vikings take a plain RoP.

[9] 590 - Golden Age will end at end of this turn. Last turn I noticed/thought we
had no saltpeter (!) but now see that a road connecting Tyendenaga runs across our
lone supply! Glad we took that city :goodjob:
The Iro landed some units at Ganda, so we had to kill them rather than strike Kahn
this turn. BTW, Centralia is an "insult" city so it's sitting on something nice.

[10] - 600 AD - Chemistry arrives, we start Metallurgy (avoiding Education just for
a short time for the sake of ToA). We attack Kahn, kill one, and retreat.

Notes:
- I can see no reason to prolong war with Hitties (we declared). They'll offer
Hattusha which would give us another ivory. They've stopped sending ships.
But if not... I have a ship unmoved in the area to bring over the few ACav nearby :p
- I can see no reason not to kick Iro off the island we're expanding nicely on,
especially since Centralia is sitting on a hidden resource. (ie No peace yet with Iro)
- If the Aztecs demand tribute, we cave or Vidin is toast. It needs rax, harbor,
and upgrade to muskets to be able to survive. (It might not be worth it either)
- There's a settler-ACav on a boat next to a brand new island. But on approach we
see a barb camp with 10 horses. So be careful how/where you land! (Or bombard to
death, but that'll be slow)

Aggie
Charis
Dwip <-- UP
JMB <-- On Deck
Ridgelake
LAM

RBC11 Save file 600AD

Good luck, Dwip,
Charis

The roster is actually:

Aggie
Charis <-- Just played
JMB <-- Played before Charis
Dwip <-- UP
Ridgelake <-- On Deck
LAM

JMB

[0] 600 AD - I'd like to pause for a moment to examine the total and utter rediculousness of our situation. Among other things, we have great land, and more of it than anybody but the Iroquois. We have as many wonders as the rest of the world combined. And our tech situation? Let's not go there. The Iros haven't even got currency, and we're working on Metallurgy. Yikes.

Anyway.

Checking the notes... Is there anything we particularly want out of the Hittites right this instant? No, not really. I'd love to go invade with all those ACs we have doing homeland security, but since there's a chronic spear shortage in Byzantium, that'll just need to wait. I'd rather go zot the Iros for a while, anyway. They deserve it. I dial up Mursilis (Merciless? I'd like to be...) and get Hattusha for peace.

Apparently I'll need to tap one of the ACs for security up in Hittiteville, because they're REAL unhappy with the whole operation. I do so. Turns out they got whipped the good whip. Ah well. It's land.

(IBT) - The Iros get some sort of idea that they can attack our 1 hp AC with archers and win. The sad part is, they're right.

[1] 610 AD - Ohrid Settler->Courthouse, Alesund Warrior->Worker.

Say, that's a lot of barb horses down south. Well, we will not be detered. I land the AC on the mountain nearby, leave the settler on the boat, and lay some fiery burnination on the barbs.

Various and assorted workers do their thing.

[2] 620 AD - Nicaea Market->Musket, Heraclea Courthouse->Musket.

Our newly healed elite AC goes up against a vet unfortified in the open spear that landed next to our troops up in Iroland, and is forced to retreat. Yeesh.

[3] 630 AD - Trebizond Courthouse->Market. Knights Templar completes in Sardica ->Musket (I'll have us defending the homeland and utilizing that horde of cav if it's the, er, second and third thing I do.)

Stavanger riots just 'cause. I sic some tax collectors on them, and they quiet down.

Dromon bombard is way too much fun to be legal. The Iroquois don't think so, but they're all party poopers anyway.

We have REALLY got to do something about this total lack of offensive military. Really. Which I'm somehow solving by building DEFENSIVE military. Yeah. We've got a plan, folks. We really do.

(IBT) - As cool as the Iros thought they might be, trying to attack us with a bunch of archers and such, dropping a pike and an AC to 1 hp, they weren't, really.

[4] 640 AD - Varna Colosseum->'duct. Move some guys around.

(IBT) - Attempts to lure out the barb horde fail, and we lose our AC. Ah well. I did try. However, I have no idea what to do with the settler now.

[5] 650 AD - Iconium Worker->Harbor, New Adrianople Spear->Harbor. I actually get to move some reinforcements around.

(IBT) - The Vikings are building Leo's in some random pathetic city. I'm not sure if we can hold them off for one whole turn. It'll be close.

[6] 660 AD - I also forget to check people, and Ohrid riots. I never claimed to be good at managing happiness. Ani Harbor->Market.

New Nicaea founded down on the ice penninsula. I realize there are supposed to be spots open up north, but I can't bring myself to settle them. *shrug* And that spot with the AC on it seemed like a perfectly reasonable spot for a fishing village operation.

[7] 670 AD - The Vikings somehow lose the Leo's race. I was really worried there for a sec. Constantinople ->Musket. Heraclea Musket->Musket. Stavanger Worker->Courthouse.

(IBT) - The Inca apparently need an alliance vs. the Vikings. This bodes not well at all for the Inca. Speaking of which, that isn't their last galley down by our dromon midway down our continent, is it? Hrm. No, they have a city out by Alesund.

[8] 680 AD - Nicaea Musket->Musket, Sardica Musket->Knight, Naissus Courthouse->Market.

Our settlement spots down south suck. Badly, without backup. But I feel like we need to get SOMETHING in place before the Aztecs do, and I can't divert anything to go off the barbs, so...New Varna founded way down in Aztecland.

We'll have a bunch of reinforcements ready for the Iros next turn, but for this turn, we try on Kahn:

Vet AC vs Vet Spear, -2 hp, we win.
Vet AC vs Reg Spear, redline spear, lose. Gak.
Elite AC vs 1hp Spear, Kahn razed.

We'll need some settlers over there at some point.

(IBT) - Good thing for Caesar, he had a settler pair RIGHT there.

[9] 690 AD - Caesarea Courthouse->Marketplace, Chalcedon Harbor->Courthouse, Nicomedia Colosseum->Knight, Samoseta Musket->Courthouse.

Assorted minor fighting.

[10] 700 AD - Constantinople Musket->Colosseum. Dyrracheum riots because, well, you know me and happiness checks. Or the lack thereof. You'd think, since I scold myself every single game about doing them, that I might remember. You'd be wrong, of course, but.

Our way south dromon Greek fires a barb galley. I take great joy in ordering it.

Not much to report. A crusader/AC ready for transport to the fighting over by Septum, and a bunch of muskets going off to relieve AC defenders and garrison empty towns on the mainland. Sistine's in six. Metallurgy in two.

Save the Iroquois for Fuedalism!

Aggie
Charis
JMB
Ridgelake <-- UP
LAM <-- On Deck

:sheep:

Well, things are obviously going great :) What are we going to research after Metallurgy? Military Tradition or Education? I'd go for Education if we would be in danger of losing wonders like Copernicus. But since the AI is terribly backward (I've NEVER seen such a backward AI in an emperor game before this early in the game) we could afford to do otherwise.

I really think we should go the Education route. We've delayed it long enough and seeings as most of our big cities already have Cathedrals, there are few cultural buildings (other than Coloseums (sp?)) for them to build, and our cheap universities are definitely worth more (in terms of culture per shield invested)... Once we research education though, I think we should probably build the temples first, and then the universities in our big cities.

Military tradition really does nothing for us... (while it would be fun to trounce the AIs with Cav while they were still using Pikemen, it isn't in the spirit of our variant and doesn't allow us to build any new cultural buildings). We really need to stay focused on the goal of this variant and make decisions based on that goal rather than just doing things because we have an unsurmountable lead... (we'd almost assuredly get away with it, but we might end up losing because we waited too long to get our cultural buildings up and running (personally, I think it would a bit disappointing (read: a bit like a loss) if we were forced to take out several AIs capitals and/or reduce their civilization to rubble in order to prevent a space race loss because we failed to concentrate on our main objective of a 100K victory...)

JMB

Top Bottom