RBE DSG4 - Beyond Deity

The way things are going it doesn't look like I will be able to play anything (at all!) until at least Thurs and more likely Fri, but I will have access to Civ3 where I am headed. Whoever wants to jump ahead of me is welcome to, or we can just skip me this round if we get far enough through the rotation before I can hop in.

Well, let's get moving again.

Checking out Giza - OUCH. It's losing 6 of 8 shields to corruption! That will require a courthouse before the FP, for sure.

Why's the worker just SE of Giza improving a non-bonus grass square before a bonus one? Urug, you're better than that ;)

Adjust Alexandria to finish granary before growing.

As I said, I want to ensure we claim that iron in the jungle. It's a third-ring square for both Heliopolis and Thermopylae; and we can't count on Helio staying ahead in culture. I swap Thebes to settler to do this.

Lux tax dropped to 10%, no entertainers required.

Diplo check: Gandhi's got Horseback Riding and we've got Code of Laws. No need to hoard the tech (China and Greece have it), so we trade.

730 BC: Buy a Greek worker.

English complete Great Library.

690 BC: Our Map Making payments run out, but it doesn't help us. Alex is four techs ahead of the rest of the known world.

630 BC: Argh, Giza is unhappy at size 5 and there isn't anything we can do about it. It would take 30% lux tax to get even one happy face here.

Asyut is founded in the jungle to claim the iron. Yeah, it's actually within Heliopolis' workable tiles. But Helio only has one other tile of overlap, and this is the safest way for us to claim the iron. Plus it gives us a link of our own territory all the way down to Pi-Ramesses, and it's also on fresh water.

610 BC: The three civs we know all got contact with all four other civs. We don't have anything besides cash to trade for any of it, though. We have one-beaker Currency finishing in 2 turns, and India hasn't gotten that yet...

590 BC: but then India gets Currency before ours finishes.

Contact with Russia is the cheapest; I buy it from India for 63 gold. Buying the cheapest contact is the way to go, since they're usually far enough behind that you can trade them some tech for the rest of the contacts. That holds true here.

Contact with France from Russia for Mathematics. We don't have any tech to sell France, though. So I trade Code of Laws to Russia for contact with England plus Russia's TM. The last contact is Germany, and I trade our WM to Russia to get it.

I want to finish brokering our world map, but the only one who will give anything for it is Germany. WM + 39g to Germany for Literature.

No further deals available until we finish Currency this turn.

570 BC:

Currency to France for Philosophy and her TM.
Currency to Russia for the full World Map.
Currency to Germany for his 40g and WM, which has some more map info.

England and Greece have The Republic, but we aren't anywhere near buying it (171 + 30/turn is "doubtful".) Buy it as soon as we can, of course, and it should be good to trade for Polytheism and/or Construction. We've got some marketplaces coming in, which will help.

Unfortunately, there are no sea trading routes to the new civs; trading with them will have to wait for Navigation.

Chop some of those forests for Giza to get its courthouse done, and maybe cash rush it if we get into Republic soon. Alexandria's building a settler to stick in one more tundra village next to Abydos, since Abydos can't ever work more than two land squares.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/rbe4-egypt-550bc.zip

Sulla, if you're ready to go, take it and we'll bypass Zed this round; or you can wait for Zed, your call.

Why's the worker just SE of Giza improving a non-bonus grass square before a bonus one? Urug, you're better than that :)

My turn might not have been the best this time, but your question could be explained easily: The worker came from mining the grassland 2 tiles southeast of El-Armana and couldn't reach the bonus grassland you mentioned, and he was indeed heading for it. I decided letting him build a road on his current position first instead of letting him do nothing last turn. I haven't checked the save file, but I really hope he builds a road and is not mining the tile, which could indeed wait.

May as well skip me this time around, you guys ought to be able to complete a round before I can get some time to play. I'll jump in again next time.

No need to wait for Zed, I'll take it and have it back within 24 hours. I haven't been posting in this thread a lot, but I have been following the game closely. A great job from everyone on the contact trading; being behind by only a couple of techs at this stage of the game is nothing short of incredible. I'm glad you guys were able to see that purple border under the fog!

(0) 550BC Most everything seems to be running well when I pick up the game. I notice one interesting thing though, in that both Hieraconopolis and El-Amarna are building temples and can whip them if desired. Both are hopelessly corrupt at the moment (El-Amarna is only getting 1 out of 7 shields!) so it doesn't seem worthwhile not to rush them. They have enough food tiles not to need harbors, so it doesn't look like the plan was to whip a building and then switch over to something else. If it was, then I'm sorry but there was no note from anyone else. Both cities are whipped, getting 17 shields each (not quite a perfect twenty) for their temples. I couldn't find a convincing argument not to whip them, if this was a mistake I'll take the credit.

Diplomatically, I note that we are at parity technologically with Germany, Russia, and France. India is up Polytheism on us, China is up Polytheism and Construction on us, and Greece/England are in the Middle Ages with The Republic. With a marketplace completing in Thebes next turn, we will probably be able to trade for Republic @3rd and get the techs we need to enter the Middle Ages. Let's see what happens.

(1) 530BC Iron is hooked up this turn by El-Amarna. Even if we dial our luxury tax down to 0%, we still can't afford to pick up the Republic, or come even close to it. 201g + 41gpt is still doubtful to pick up the tech. Since we need to increase our luxury tax, not decrease it, I think it would be better to get what we can by popping into the Middle Ages now. Construction from China for 197g + 19gpt. Polytheism + 59g from India for Construction. We enter the Middle Ages in 530BC, not too shabby for a Deity game in which contact was delayed for some time. The tech laggards of course are too poor to give us anything for these techs and Republic remains insanely expensive. If we're lucky, some of the other civs will research Republic before Polytheism/Construction and we'll be able to get it relatively cheaply. We are down only Republic and the freebie tech Monotheism to the tech leaders at the moment and sitting in the middle of the pack where all of the brokering opportunities exist. A good place to be at this stage in the game. Luxuries to 20% to prevent rioting in Thebes and Heliopolis. Memphis and Elephantine both switched from markets to aqueducts so they can continue growing.

(2) 510BC Tech leaders grabbed Monarchy this turn. Maybe one of the laggards will get it and we can trade them Poly and Construction for it. That would be nice... I pull in extra gold trading WMs around like I will do every turn, since we really need that gold. I forgot to mention last turn that the 20% luxuries lets us get rid of the taxman in Giza, and we are now able to get 3 shields/turn instead of 2 towards our courthouse. :D

(3) 490BC Alexandria produces its settler, set to aqueduct. A quiet turn with nothing going on diplomatically.

(4) 470BC France picked up Polytheism this turn, the other laggards remain behind. No other new techs. Found an embassy with India because it is only 37g; Delhi has barracks, granary, temple, library, is working on colosseum, is garrisoned by 4 spears and an archer, and India is running 40% science. I also noticed something this turn: Greek workers clearing jungle unfazingly picked out one that had a bonus grassland under it from 5 or 6 that were identical. Seems like they can tell that as well as future resources.

(5) 450BC Memphis finishes an aqueduct, Byblos finishes its harbor. Some tiles are reshuffled between them to get Memphis growing once again. They are set to market and temple respectively. World maps get traded but no one has any new techs. Just for refernce, we are 6th in land area and 4th in population, 6th overall on the histograph. That's nothing short of remarkable for a game like this (though Russia and India really got abused badly to make them weaker than us).

(6) 430BC Asyut (T-Hawk's iron culture wedge city) hits size 2 and whips out its temple. We definitely need culture here ASAP, and the city's surrounded by jungle without really any good tiles to work. Russia picked up Polytheism this turn, but other than that no new techs. Of course it's possible that the leaders have Theology and we just can't see that, but I would expect a Sistine popup message if that were the case. Found an embassy with China for 47g, Beijing has barracks, temple, library, colosseum, four spears, and archer, 2 settlers (?) in it, running 40% science and working on Hanging Gardens (due in 24 turns even at only 6 shields/turn). We have embassies with all of our closest neighbors; founding them with the far away civs is probably not as urgent.

(7) 410BC Heliopolis finishes market. For lack of something better, I set it to colossuem, which possibly could become a cathedral if we're lucky and get Monotheism soon. Greece has moved two settler/spear pairs towards the Giza area; what could they be up to? All of the land in that region has been claimed. No tech progress as usual.

(8) 390BC Avaris founded in the northern tundra as another overlapped fishing town. Every tile counts, after all! Feudalism has been discovered by the AI civs this turn, though only Greece and England (the tech leaders have it). France also picked up Construction and jumped into the Middle Ages this turn while China picked up The Republic. The prices for everything are ludicrously high, and far out of our range. It's really a shame we can't trade our (many) excess silks around.

(9) 370BC The Greeks pulled something very clever this turn: they turned their settlers around and merged them into Pharsolus, increasing its population from 7 to 11. Not the kind of thing you would expect to see an AI civ do. Thebes finished a colossuem this turn, starts on library. It should be fine in terms of happiness up to size 12 now.

(10) 350BC Nothing of interest other than trading maps around happened this turn.

At the moment, we're sitting in the middle of a pack of AI civs. Greece and Egypt are out in front, and the buying techs at 3rd civ prices is prohibitively expensive. China has both government techs, and they refuse to sell them as well. No one else has any government techs. India and France have the exact same techs as we do, Russia and Germany are behind on Construction. We can't really move forward until we pick up The Republic; obviously that needs to be the next tech we acquire. Once more civs get it the price will come down; at the moment all our gold + 30gpt just gives us a "doubtful" message. In 10 turns we will get back the 20gpt I traded in order to get Construction. This wasn't a waste since we got Polytheism as well and were able to construct aqueducts in cities that were not growing before. We were nowhere close to buying Republic at the start of my turn. I'd advise trading world maps around every turn; while it's boring it nets about 7-10gpt extra, which is a lot when we only make 15gpt. And in this game, we need every advantage we can get. Good luck to the next player! :)

RBE4 350BC

Good turn. I would've held out to buy Republic instead of the other techs, but such is the fun of an SG; I can't ever call a 2-for-1 tech deal a bad move. :) And we do need the aqueducts.

I was doing world map sales every turn too, netting an extra 4-8 gold per turn; it does definitely add up.

JMB - Up Now
Urugharakh - On Deck

350 - Everything looks good and there is nothing to change... Elephantine completes aqueduct, starts marketplace. Giza completes courthouse (we are now getting 6 spt), begins FP (we also need an aqueduct, but since it will take 17 turns to complete, if the next player wants, they can change it...). Our first palace expansion!

330 - Move warrior from Byblos towards Asyut to help protect against flips. I move several workers down towards Pi-Ram to clear jungle... I want to get our dyes online asap. China declares war on the Indians.

310 - Not much. Elephantine grows and needs a scientist to prevent disorder. Greece demands our TM and 28 gp. We cave. Memphis completes marketplace, begins Spearman.

290 - Not much. Thebes completes library, begins spearman. Greeks begin the Sistine Chapel.

270 - Not much.

250 - Whip temple in Byblos. Chinese want an alliance versus the Indians. We don't accept. English are beginning the Sistine Chapel. The English complete the Hanging Gardens. Greeks cascade to Sistine... The Greeks might be getting aggressive (a few units enter our borders and a couple mass around Asyut). Everyone except France has gotten both Monotheism and Republic this turn.

230 - I decide to protect our workers with warriors to hopefully discourage the Greeks... Realize that I forgot to try to buy Republic. An alliance versus the Indians is worth about 400 gp to China. Alliance versus the Indians, 277 gp, and 14 gpt to China for Monarchy. Monarchy, 3 gp, 5 gpt to Germany for the Republic. Monotheism and 3 gp from Russia for Monarchy and 8 gpt (I dropped our lux tax to by 10% to be able to make this deal...). I decide to revolt this turn (many of our cities would go into disorder this turn anyways...). Because we are broke, we will probably end up selling off something this turn... Fortunately, we didn't.

210 - We sucessfully weather the storm and are now a Republic. I really think we are going to get attacked by Greece within the next 2 to 3 turns (they moved in more troops... They are however polite towards us...). They seem to be heading towards Pi-Ram. I try trading them 12 gpt, but couldn't get anything for it. Pretty much everyone has Feudalism now.

190 - Nothing much. More troops move towards Pi-Rameness... There must be some resource within its radius...

170 - I trade the Greeks 4 gpt for 62 gp. As expected, the Greeks declare war. We lose Pi-Rameness. The Chinese begin Sun Tzu's.

150 - Troop shuffling. We lost our source of iron (for our lower cities) so I moved a bunch of workers onto the mountain outside Asyut to build a road. Boy am I am glad that I get to pass this game off... *smile* (actually, I'll probably shadow along for fun...) The two Greek galleys heading up the coast are probably heading for our lightly/undefended tundra cities.

Right now, Greece's best unit is a swordsman. I say we go on a pillaging campaign (especially around Pharalos which has one of their horses, their only silks, and their only source of iron...). If we are able to prevent them from building more swordsmen (and from getting knights (at present, they only have horsemen)), get Feudalism, and our iron hooked up, we could do a lot of damage to their infrastructure... BTW, it is probably a good idea to move the warrior in Alexandria to cover our worker (and pillage their source of iron...) before going on to the next turn.

JMB

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/RBEDSG4-150BC.zip

Originally posted by JMB

230 - I decide to protect our workers with warriors to hopefully discourage the Greeks... Realize that I forgot to try to buy Republic. An alliance versus the Indians is worth about 400 gp to China. Alliance versus the Indians, 277 gp, and 14 gpt to China for Monarchy. Monarchy, 3 gp, 5 gpt to Germany for the Republic. Monotheism and 3 gp from Russia for Monarchy and 8 gpt (I dropped our lux tax to by 10% to be able to make this deal...). I decide to revolt this turn (many of our cities would go into disorder this turn anyways...). Because we are broke, we will probably end up selling off something this turn... Fortunately, we didn't.

It once happened that I had to pay large amounts of gpt, revolted and while in anarchy, didn't have the money to pay. Thought I'll lose a building. I didn't but I lost my rep.

Originally posted by JMB

170 - I trade the Greeks 4 gpt for 62 gp. As expected, the Greeks declare war. We lose Pi-Rameness. The Chinese begin Sun Tzu's.

I guess you didn't lose yours though. I'm puzzled :confused: .
You can stay in anarchy, not pay your dues and not get a rep-hit?

PS Good luck with the war against the greeks.

(0) 150 BC: I kill the 2 warriors near Memphis and and archer near Heliopolis without loss and get an elite spear. No need they pillage our precious tiles.

Send a spear to greece silks.

Do some further troop shuffeling.

How have the 2 workers southeast of Asyut moved? According to the road status they must have either been already dead or moved there from our territory. The 2 spears will probably die in open terrain against 2 swords, one of them vet and an archer. Time for a desperate move. A vet warrior from Asyut looses against the reg sword, then one of the vet spears kills it. At least our workers have a chance now.

Why in hell are there 2 greek galleys on our western coast and our nearby galley hasn't attacked them? The odds are 50-50 we would have won, but they would have lost 3 troops in case we where successful.

Interturn: One of our spears died, but the archer didn't attacked, so workers are still ours. Chinese kill a indian galley on our northern coast.

The preturn took me more than one hour. I have to leave this evening for the weekend. So I might have to give back the turn I stole from Zed in the beginning due to time reasons unless you are willing to wait until monday. :)

Go get 'em Urugharakh! :hammer:

If we could somehow take the cities inside our territory, like Pharsalos and Ephesus, this could help out our situation quite a bit. I don't know if that's going to be possible or if simply defending is all that we can do... I am somewhat glad that I'm not playing these turns too. :) Don't be afraid to trigger our War Chariot golden age if needed; surviving an attack and expanding a bit would be a good of it. Best of luck, we might need it!

(post#1000 for me, btw) [party]

OK, I managed to finish my turn in time. We fight a very successful defending war with few losses and a couple of kills.

Concerning Sullas war charriot golden age: we need horses for this and have none. Concerning the assault on Alex cities: I leave that to Zed-F, T-hawk and maybe even you, Sulla.

(1) 130 BC: Thebes finished our first sword and will produce spears with 20 shields/turn from now on. Switched tiles between Thebes, Manphis and Byblos, so that the latter pulls 3 shields/turn instead of 1. Mephis away from archer, so it can finish a sword once our Iron is online next turn. Heliopolis finished Catherdal and will add a warrior to be upgraded to a sword next turn. Elephantine hires an entertainer, Alexandria switches scientist to clown and Giza hires scientist all to prevent revolt next turn. Fortunately this doesn't cost a shield in Giza. Otherwise I would have opted for raising luxes to 30% at the cost of 17 gpt.

(2) 110 BC: Iron connected. We upgrade 3 warriors to swords. Memphis and Heliopolis will both buid swords every 3 turns, while Thebes will add a spear per turn. Elephantine switched to cathedral ready next turn and will then add to our military. We need every sword and I decided the market has to wait.

Interturn: Spear at greece silks defends successful against a newly produced sword from Pharsalos.

(3) 90 BC: One of our new vet swords kills a sword on the gold hill beside Asyut and promotes to elite.

Interturn: 2 spears got killed in the assault on Asyut, but the city is still ours. Gandhi asked for peace. Unfortunately I had to decline because our MA with Mao. :( WE can expand our palace. [party]

(4) 70 BC: We kill a vet warrior and a vet sword. Switch Asyut from granary to wall, wich will be ready next turn.

Interturn: A vet sword pillaged a tile beside Asyut. Our spear at greek silks kill another sword.

(5) 50 BC: We kill a vet sword near Asyut, which is now save. We kill our first hoplite. Even the first sword was successful and has one hitpoint left. I can't allow a hoplite pillaging campain. Now the greek galleys are out of 3 turn range form Alexandria. So I move the defending spear onto greek iron for pillaging.

(6) 30 BC: We pillage Alex iron.

Interturn: Silk spear kills another attacking sword. London completes Sun Tzu. Alex starts Copernicus.

(7) 10 BC: We kill another 2 archers and a horse.

Interturn: Alex signed Liz to an MA against us.

(8) 10 AD: Alex wants 220 g for peace. We have only 2 horses left in our territory, both not dangerous at the moment and no war weariness. So I decline. With now 9 swords, 3 of them elite, and buildin one sword and one spear every turn we should think about some rewards our of this war. I would like to have Pharsarlus, Hereiklia, Ephesus and our Pi-Ramesses. Well, that is wishful thinking.

Interturn: Germany joined the war. I feared something like that, but an MA against Liz was too expensive last turn.

(9) 30 AD: We kill another 2 archers and a hoplite. Our territory is currently without foreign units.

Interturn: 2 archers kill one of our precious spears on a hill.

(10) 50 AD: Our swords kill another 2 archers and a horse. Peac with Alex drops to 200 g. War weariness hits. I raise luxes to 30% and hire a couple of specialists in our corrupt cities. We can afford feudalism, but not theology for a 2 to one trade with Joanie. So I don't do it.

We defended ourself successful during the last 10 turns. Our military changed from 11 warriors, 13 spears and a very dangerous position near Asyut in 150 BC before i took over:

to 7 warriors, 17 spears, 11 swords and a secure position now.

But we have lost Pi-Ramesses in the war and gained nothing so far. I want at least Pharsalos before we make peace. This would give us a silk monopol, horses one additional iron and denies iron to Alex. I would prefer taking Ephesus in addition, which would reduce cultural pressure on Asyut consideralbe. Hereiklia and Pi-Ramesses would be fine, but are no must have. If necessary we should switch to monarchy, wich is not too bad being religious. Eventually we should kick Alex from our continent, though thats not the question at the moment.

We currently face 2 phony wars with Liz and Otto. I doubt there will be any danger but you never know. At least our relation towards them are bad. We get back our gpt payments to Mao and Cathy in 6 turns and hopefully can do a 2 for 1 deal including feudalism and theology with Joanie. Lets hope we can get something out of a peace treaty with Gandhi then. Currently he has nothing to offer.

PS.: Please recheck happieness according war weariness. I'm not sure I did everything optimal in this department.

AD0050

Urug,

I didn't attack the Greek galley's because we weren't at war at that point. The turn that they attacked, I had the galley inside a city (the end of it's turn; for protection) and then I sent the galley after them...

About the workers. I had several more workers on that tile (they were clearing the jungle) and they had just finished clearing it the trun before. If I had moved them all (without roading the square first), I wouldn't have been able to get to the mountain (and they would have still been in danger from another couple swords, if I remember correctly). So I used 2 workers to complete the road that turn, got most of the workers out of there and then brought in reinforcements.

Nice job!

JMB

I agree with Urugharakh, we need to grab at least Pharsolus and hopefully Ephesus as well before signing peace with Alex. He's lost his iron supply so we can expect to see nothing worse than horses and archers, neither of which is dangerous at all in the stupid way that the AI uses them (and it's a damn good thing we pillaged it, otherwise we could be seeing knights! :eek: ) We are at war with England, Germany, and India but since they are all overseas (Germany can't even reach us at the moment) we have nothing to worry about. Monarchy if war weariness gets too high but hopefully we can maintain our Republic. A very, VERY nice job managing a crisis situation and turning it into one where we can potentially make gains against Greece. :goodjob: Good luck T-Hawk; it's going to be an interesting turn...

(Can't believe I forgot we lacked horses so no War Chariots, heh. Weediness on my part. :smoke: )

Zed's up now, not me, and I am not going to be back at my Civ 3 computer until Monday afternoon. So it might be awhile again..

We're in Republic, so absolutely we should trigger our golden age as soon as we get the opportunity. Looks like we'll have to take some horses by force of sword first, though...

Well, I wanted another RBE2-class game, and we just might have one on our hands :) Great recovery. Did Greece get their golden age? If so, we're going to have a FLOOD of units on our hands... If not, let's see if we can end the war before they do so, or (better yet) just after?

BTW, Sirian, if you're lurking, we've seen most of the map by now, so feel free to join in any commentary :)

Didn't have time to take detailed notes, sorry. Our shield wall on the western border is holding up, and giving out far more punishment than it is taking :hammer: , which is a good thing since Alex sends another 2-3 swords every 2-3 turns or so. He used to be sending horses as well but I haven't seen any recently. About a third of our sword production has so far gone to replenishments on this front. In the early fighting we got a GL, Ramses, and I thought about using him to grab Sistine but unfortunately we didn't have the tech and couldn't get it, so he went to make a sword army.

The south is pretty quiet; Alex was bringing a couple archers every once in a while for a bit but that has slowed down somewhat. I managed to scrape a few swords together and take Ephasus with Ramses' help, so we can now build the Epic. I have not started it though, we need troops more. :)

Alex did land a couple individual troops in our north, which I killed, but we are SO WEAK up there... all our cities were on long builds so I didn't do anything about it for most of my turn, though we have 1 sword building up there now. On the plus side, now that Ephasus is ours I have amassed a fair-sized stack of swords to tackle Pharsalos. There are a couple irrigated tiles around I didn't think to pillage (sorry) so the city is still size 9. Alex has been sending swords out of there periodically but so far it hasn't been too much trouble. Once our army gets to Thebes and heals, we should be ready to go on the attack.

We have a couple spears near Thebes that need to go south to Heliopolis to reinforce the shield wall and protect the swords that hang out there. The swords near Thebes are heading to our rallying point south of Pharsalos.

In other news, Germany and England are willing to talk peace but want lots of cash for it. I'll let the next leader tackle that, and diplomacy in general, which I mostly ignored on my turn. We are also woefully behind on tech, as Sistine, Copernicus, and Bach's have already been built. Lux tax is up to 40% and our northern icy fishing villages had to starve to size 1 to keep happy since they are so corrupt they can't generate cash. Fortunately our FP should be online in a few turns to improve that situation. Still, we need to end this war soon, hopefully after we capture Pharsalos and maybe the fishing village next to it.

Save file:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/RBE-DSG4-250ad.zip

EDIT: I should mention that we're at peace with India. China betrayed us and made peace early, not that we care, since India's in no position to make war with anyone any more... :hammer:

Top Bottom