RBTS8 - Rhye's of the Mayans

India is the master of two civilizations?! One of which is PERSIA?! I don't think this ever happened before XD

I think you civ veterans should congratulate yourself at:

1) surviving the mongols and eliminating them soon;
2) Seeing a huge INDIAN empire. Really, for all the RFC fans who are posting here, this is about the rarest thing that ever happens. We were thinking that to be the first in score, you are competing with China, Rome, Arabia (those would really have been historical) or any of the late European powers. But Indian?!? You probably have seen (or done) something that none of us has seen before.

Hat off.

Good job repelling the Mongolians. I think to get your trade up, you should consider declaring war on the Arabians(who will never be a threat to you being so far away) and opening borders with India, Khmer and Persia. (You can always close them if a plague is coming--did I mention closing borders with an afflicted civ lessens your chance of catching the plague?)

Looks like you guys are doing pretty well, if you ask me.

A strong India at this date (or need any date...) is truly abnormal, they are a bit hard done by in terms of their terrain in this mod.

Regarding the plague, they aren't completely random as far as timing goes, so you can sort of prepare for them - they coincide to the biggest historical pandemics. The next one you have to worry about will be some time around the middle of the 14th century, and the one after that mid-17th century IIRC. So try and have a sacrificial backwards unit in place in each city by 1320 or so - a unit with a medic promotion also helps a lot (especially in keeping workers alive - stop them working if they contract the disease, and get them healed up). The exact date the plague arrives is somewhat random I believe so I don't think it's possible to give more specific dates. Certainly a case of being forewarned being forearmed however.

Cheers, Luke

Oohps, just realized that you are already in the mid-14th century! When was the last plague that hit you? In the 6th century? If so that means you've go another one coming very soon :-( If desperate, move units out of cities that are unlikely to be attacked (e.g in Japan) and concentrate them all in a single city to try and cut your losses. And if you have any unused promotions hanging around, use them on becoming medics...

Cheers, Luke

Cheers, Luke

Back from my trip, but too late/tired to play tonight, expect turns in about 24 hours. Sorry for that delay.

Will try to build units to finish the mongols, and watch for plague (will prioritize the Compass and Guilds buildings for health in our larger cities). Also will try to get a settler to Manila and start on exploration towards the americas/down under. Will build a few embassies too as we apparently don't have unit in Europe anymore (is our contact with European civs because they built embassies with us, or are we just in the grace period and it will go in a few turns?)

Not sure what to research after Optics. Do we want to take Astro from Liberalism?

Building embassies for the European civs sounds like a good idea - at the very least it's nice to be able to keep an eye on their scores, even if they don't trade much.

Astro sounds good to me, I quite like the idea of Japan ruling America :)

Garath

Sorry, apparently forgot to take pictures of much of anything.

T0: Looks good. Move a samurai to Anshan to counter the Mongol pillagers.
IBT: Meet France, who is a vassal of Germany. Plague appears in Rome, Paris, and Frankfurt, and manages to jump to Kyoto instantly, while hitting nothing in between :rolleyes: It infects one new city per turn more or less; the starvation is exacerbated by it always killing the lone garrison and thus putting a lot of "we're undefended!" unhappiness. I generally whipped one health improvement per city as it got infected, not sure if that helped.

T1: Clean up the mongol pillagers north of Anshan, giving GG (which is settled in Beijing to allow 3-promotion units). Make a deal with Louis: Guilds (which almost everyone has) for Theology, map, gold. Map shows us rest of Europe, and whole African coastline.

T2: Mongols DOW India + vassals.
T3: Inda builds U of Sankore.
T4: Border pop in Jakarta gives us hut scout. He's fortified there, a ship could land him in Australia to look for huts.

T5: Optics in. I pick Banking, as more civs are starting to get Philosophy. No one has Education yet so I feel safe hoping for a trade.

T6: A mongol raiding party (samurai, xbow, keshik) is killed at loss of 3 of our units. Unfortunately I felt I had to attack them in forest, fearing that plague in Anshan would make garrisoning the city instead a losing proposition.

T7: Summer Palace (=FP in vanilla) done in Luoyang, giving a modest economic boost.

T8: On interturn, 4 mongol units suicide against Xbows/pikes on our iron hill. No enemy in sight, and plague is gone too. More good news, get this deal:

Didn't notice until end that their map had all of Australian coast.

T9: 1st caravel heads east. I really like the added movement + ocean move bonus, it can get to Hawaii (which is useless peaks apparently) in 2 turns, nice change of pace. Banking done, set to liberalism.

T10: In "news we couldn't possibly care about", we hear that Utica is captured by barbs from Independents.

Army is massed on iron 1NW of beijing. Recommend waiting one turn for another siege weapon + healing, then heading out. Mongols have a 2nd city west of Karakorum, but shouldn't have many units left.

We could resettle 1NE of Karakorum, would be decent with 2 sheep + horse. Still would like to see the Phillipine city founded, I was planning to but plague threw a wrench into that. Also, a galley is in the southern home island b/c I was hoping to use it on a settler, it could be moved back to Jakarta so the worker there can plantation the banana and drop the scout down under.

Finally, 3 cities (marked with signs) are w/o defenders courtesy of plague, so Bejing should fill those out when it has a chance (there's no military threat to them, but is causing some happiness issues). On the plus side, we didn't have the worker holocaust that the first round did to us.

Attachments

• RBTS8 - Rhyes of Japan AD-1425 Turn 236.CivBeyondSwordSave
    635.5 KB · Views: 60
Really atypical game here--India is probably going to beat you to education/liberalism if you don't gun for it soon.
You should go meet Mali for some trades (Divine Right).
Make sure you have gunpowder when you reach the native civs (if they haven't been met by other old world civs already)...you'll know why.

I wouldn't worry about India beating us to Liberalism, since we're six turns away and they don't even have Education yet. ;)

Looks like the Mongol invasion is just about wrapped up. Thankfully we weathered another round of plague without too much trouble. I think the next move will involve pushing into Central Asia (where there's some decent land for cities) and beginning the move to colonize Australia. We could likely sit on our hands for the next 100 turns and win the game with ease, but what fun would that be?

I think the next move will involve pushing into Central Asia (where there's some decent land for cities) and beginning the move to colonize Australia.

Careful with the overexpansion instability.

What I hate about it the most, is when a strong AI nation which looks like it'd be fun to play against collapses because of it. I've actually made it more forgiving in my private version of the mod.

Yes, I wouldn't recommend going to central Asia. The land isn't that good and it will hurt your stability. The islands of SE Asia on the other hand are pretty safe and worthwhile. They can also get quite high pop for your score.

Am I up? I've lost track of the roster. I'll try to open the game for some thoughts tomorrow either way - I don't have a very good sense of where we are right now other than 'winning'.

Garath

Hey Garath, you're up. :)

Yes, I know. Sorry about the delay, I'm having problems with my internet connection at the moment, particularly on my CIV-playing computer (this isn't it). I'm free to play as soon as I can get that fixed and actually download the save, so hopefully as early as tomorrow morning.

Garath

I have to agree with Sulla. I tried the game as Persia and had to reload several times due to goofy mechanics. At one point, my empire was 16 cities or so with Jails and courthouses and any other thing that brings stability (and I read their Wiki completely). My civ went unstable for no reason and I lost every city except the capitol....absolutely rediculous. Did all 15 of my mayors decide to switch in the same turn.
I also went through the misery of losing my highly promoted CR units much like you guys. My frustration led me to try out other mods. Ive been really enjoying the Wolfshanze mod lately.

Sorry folks, I haven't been able to convince my main computer to talk to the network in any way today. Sulla, you can play if you like, or we can wait until mh is back. If neither, and I still can't fix my windows computer, I'll do something like buying a memory stick so I can faff around and transfer saves between computers.

Garath

Top Bottom