1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Strategy (AI) 1.7

Making AI better. One bit at a time.

1. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Game 3:

In the first 2 turns Gilga effectively captured a smaller Nubian city.
    After this Gilga captured a free city and then suddenly made peace with Nubia…

After some turns Nubia declared formal war on me, I asked Gilga to join,
    so now we have the Third Nubian War… I have to defend my city near Nubia…

a picture tells it: My city to defend is north of Nubia, I defend with arty and infantry corps...
    Third Nubian War - 1.jpg

2. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@V. Soma
    Please keep the save file from the above situation. I see Gilga built planes, bombers and biplanes (?) - does he use them actually?
    I will post a version of RST with some tweaks to planes. If you keep the file, you can then reload the situation and continue to see if there was a difference. It would take however 15+ turns to re-apply changes to operations, old ones must finish and new ones must start with a different mixture of units.

3. V. Soma

Oh, this war was very short... Nubia did some damage to my troops, but then Gilga pressed her from the west,
    so Nubia offered me peace and 350 gpt, which I accepted (I need money to upgrade my science).
    Maybe I can look for a save file though before this peace treaty...

Unfortunately I don't have the save file - but I am sure another war will come and then I will :)

4. Qarisma

Qarisma Chieftain

So I have just finished an epic war with Suleiman (It's always the Ottomans). He took one of my cities while I was at war with both him and Mongolia. Fortunately the Spanish declared war on Mongolia, prompting them to agree to end our war which allowed me to focus my troops on the Turks. After a long and brutal war where I actually had to keep in mind tactics and carefully position my troops to take advantage of support and flanking bonuses, I was able to take back my city and the Ottomans' capital. I had to end the war there as my cities were all on the brink of revolt, but I believe Suleiman won't be a problem for a while.

The early game is a blood bath with no walls. My most recent modification is to allow all units to start with a promotion which kind of allows you to specialize your troops earlier. It seems this has inadvertently made the AI even more aggressive than they already were with my mods. I've had to restart the last three games because I lost in the first 15 turns or so.

5. V. Soma

And here we go, Gilga has another war vs. Nubia - I saved the file and a pic...
    Gilga has jet bombers...

Gilga has jet bombers.jpg

6. V. Soma

where can I find the mod about this start with promotion? :)

7. Infixo

Infixo Deity

What exactly such a mod would do?

8. V. Soma

Report on the Gilga jet bombers: as far as I can see from the actions of the first 3-4 turns, Gilga does NOT use them...

9. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Walls heavily influence the valuation of the cities. At some point in game (between ancient/classical) having no walls in a city is just an invitation for an attack.

10. V. Soma

Ah, Gilga has a GDR at the front line - will he use that?

11. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

While I agree that the cause is somewhere else the symptom of low amenities affecting the AI in war, especially capturing cities, is easy to confirm. If you want to instantly ramp up their conquest efforts just do something crazy like add a free amenity to the monument since they tend to build one of those in every city. I suspect there are a few root issues- war weariness (mostly due to how many units they lose in a war), no effort to control population growth in their own cities and suboptimal use of things like entertainment districts.

Perhaps a good solution is to make sure the AI values amenities more if they're going for a domination victory? I don't know I haven't messed with the AI in a while since I was annoyed with no dll access.

12. Infixo

Infixo Deity

That is actually possible via .sql. I tweaked few civs in RST to value a bit more Amenities but it is difficult to confirm if this really have a desired effect. They seem to build strong empires with high-pop cities (e.g. Amanitore, Poundmaker, Jayavarman, Robert) but other civs that treat amenities in a standard way can also do that, so it is not conclusive.
    Anyway, regardless if the capturing is affected by Amenities or not, conquest may quickly push a civ into negatives, so having some surplus in this area won't hurt.

13. V. Soma

I report that Gilga uses bombers and biplanes, as got promorion level 2 for bombers and level 1 for biplane.
    And he uses the GDR, too...

14. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Awesome. Any more details? What is he doing exactly with them? Does he attack cities and/or units?

15. V. Soma

Hard to tell by watching, but I would say the bombers attack units...
    EDIT: and cities too... (I see the city health degrading when no melee or arty was near...)

We entered info era, Gilga has 750 science, Nubia has 450, I have 300
    Gilga has 6500 military, Nubia has 2200, I have 1200

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  16. V. Soma

Gilga's having dark age problems, as Nubia is in heroic age - and this will remain for the rest of the game...

Gilga dark age.jpg

EDIT: I forgot about the Future Era, which is the last... and now everyone has dark age,
    so Gilga can return to normal war stlye...
    but in this long special interval Nubia got strong, she has 7000 military now, Gilga has 7500...
    I also have the techs, and will get nukes ;)

17. V. Soma

Game 3 - turn 400

Here is a new picture report on the Gilga vs Nubia war:
    Gilga 400.jpg

I am curious as how this will end...
    I build the nukes, I just dont know what should I do with them ( I will have two thermonuclear ones)

EDIT:

turn 423 brought a world war: I guess Nubia attacked Gilga and thus me (ally) too.

Well, I dropped my two nukes on the two big Nubian cities near me at the front and razed the cities...
    I have 4 air units to use and start to make a new nuke... I hope Gilga will conquer a bit...

EDIT 2

here is the situation at turn 431
    I do offensive moves! I never would have thought that before in this game...
    war vs Nubia - t 431.jpg

EDIT 3

at turn 443, after my 3rd nuke and Gilga's offense...
    war vs Nubia - t 443.jpg
    I don't know how AI can afford that many GDRs - may be some mod thing...

Against Nubia, I managed to hunt down the 2 GDRs that were coming to me again and again,
    but I don't think I will have a chance vs. Gilga at the end...
    Only if I bulid up sg. like two dozen nukes... (which I doubt I can)

18. V. Soma

Gedemon put up GS version of Autoplay, so I can test AI mods, yesss! :)

19. Infixo

Infixo Deity

You know you can use FireTuner for that? Plus in FT you can see how RST works using a special tab (see my 3rd post in this thread).

20. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Infixo updated Real Strategy with a new update entry:

Version 1.2 Gathering Storm, cont'd

Read the rest of this update entry...