1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Strategy (AI) 1.5.1

Making AI better. One bit at a time.

1. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Game 3 - war test of 1.1

I also add FortifAI mod to the mod set I already had.

This game is immortal, domination only
    Me as Mansa Musa on a tiny pangea vs. Gilga, Cleo and Nubia.

after 50 turns I am to put down my 3rd city on a very rough terrain,
    while Gilga and Nubia has 3, Cleo has 4 cities.

I have three CSs near me in all directions - so AI civs are kind of far…
    Every AI is unfriendly with me.

Das Capitolin likes this.
  2. V. Soma

Game 3 - war test of 1.1

turn 68: I Gilga has swords and war-carts… He has 250 military, I have 100.
    We are neighbours, he is unfriendly and I don’t feel too good about this…

and yes, turn 87 I get surprise war from Gilga…
    I have one city walled and encamped, but I have to keep alive my 3 warrior units for 3 more turns to get swords…
    Gilga has 500 military (!), I have 120 - so my hopes are kind of slim…

3. V. Soma

Game 3 - war test of 1.1

turn 101

We enter Medieval Era. This is a dragging war - I am surprised to find myself still having all my cities:
    Gilga turned back from the north to send those units vs. my southern city
    /this is clear AI mistake: he SHOULD have attacked my northern city and take it in 2 turns/.

Anyways, he is getting to my southern city, but I hold still…

turn 102

Gilga suddenly offers me peace and all his wealth (24 GPT and spices) - oh, just why on earth did he do THAT?!
    /at this moment he has 420 Military and I have 220 - maybe he felt I am getting strong?/

EDIT: I see Gilga has war vs. Egypt... so it can be a factor...?

Now I should build my land and science: I have 10, while Gilga has 80...

BTW with the mods I have I can't simply build mines on hills - so Mansa is hard to play with ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. Infixo

Infixo Deity

5. V. Soma

Gilga: no rams, but one cat

turn 159:

We enter the Renaissance.

I build peacefully, while Egypt is shrinked to 5 cities vs. Nubia (she has 13 cities now)
    Science: I have 83, Gilga has double as much - but hey, I now have an alliance with him (military)!
    I made this alliance so I can build with big bro Gilga helping me.

Nubia has 56 sci, Egypt has 20… my eyes are set on Nubia’s advance,
    as my plan is to get strong and capture Nubia at my east...

6. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Chieftain

So here's my Gathering Storm scenario using Real Strategy AI: Information Era start for Domination Victory as Shaka against nine other war-focused civilizations. For the first 50 turns or so, every leader wants to declare friendship with me (I decline every time). After I completed my first Information Era Civic, this must have triggered something, because nearly half the leaders (4 - large map), denounce me for having a different government (?). I've gone another 50 turns, and although nobody has declared war (on anybody), I have noticed there are a few Space Race projects being completed. Since the only victory option is Domination, why would AI be building Space Ports and completing Space Race projects?

V. Soma likes this.
  7. V. Soma

Game 3

turn 203
    We enter a very dark Industrial era, as all 4 civs are in dark age...
    Egypt is still living with 4 cities, I don't know how she gets that with so vrey low science (20) and two enemies (Gilga, a Nubia).
    Add the fact that Nubia military is 2000, Gilga 1300, and Egypt is 200...

I have a growing empire and 110 science, as Gilga of course is ahead with 270. Nubia has 90.

8. Qarisma

Qarisma Chieftain

I see many people aren't having extremely aggressive AI in their games like there are in mine. I should also add that I'm playing with no outer city walls which might help the AI some. I definitely recommend getting the "remove dirty walls" mod from the steam workshop. It's a much more interesting game when leaving your city unprotected can result in a capture in 3 turns or less. Surprise Wars are the only wars in early eras. You must be constantly watching your neighbors and catapults are extremely effective without outer defenses. I've seen the AI build 4-5 catapults while I was at war with them and they intended to use them to take my city. I obviously didn't let them get close enough, but I was very happy to see that they would not accept peace even though the war had gone on for over 150 turns.

glider1 likes this.
  9. V. Soma

Game 3 - turn 220

Gilga has infantry and arty - Egypt is down to 1 city
    I have muskets and will get industrialisation tech soon...

EDIT:
    Nubia simply did not want to capture the last Egypt city, Gilga took it when he got there...
    We are down to 3 players, Nubia acience is same as mine: 121, Gilga is 310.
    I have Gilga as ally - will we attack Nubia?

EDIT 2:
    Gilga almost instantly attacked Nubia! forces of 2500 vs 3000, but Gilga is modern, Nubia is kind of Renaissance - infantry, machine gun and arty vs.pikes...
    I will join the party on Gilga's side with muskets and bombers...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  10. steemroller

steemroller Chieftain

I saw similar behavior to this in an auto play-diety-dom-no turn limit game. Civs were reducing each other to rubble with nukes and GDRs, but many cities were going uncaptured or razed. DV could have certainly come more quickly with a finishing blow.

11. Melkus

Melkus Chieftain

Fooling around with this on Immortal (smoother difficulty + slightly slowed tech) as well. Just two things I noticed:

I feel like my AI ally Gitarja really missed an opportunity here. This is prime real estate for a Petra city (yes, Petra is still available in the 9th century), instead she settles Ternate and fades after a promising start. She's stuck in an endless war with Washington, but neither AI is doing much about it. (this game had the bug with the missing barbarians on one continent, so that's not the problem)

Also, Washington should have settled this Gdansk spot in the Ha Long Bay... (I founded Gdansk in turn 113, and even I should have gotten there much earlier - my lands in the north are boring in comparison. Admittedly I beat his settler by one turn.) He did put up a decent fight for Lublin though, went for it twice and brought three or four swordsmen and cats the second time, while I could barely afford one sword. (He also has the +5 on his continent, so I had to improvise a little, which is rare in GS so far)

He couldn't withstand my crusade of Baltimore, but +10 combat strength is a lot.
    upload_2019-3-16_17-25-16.png

12. Infixo

Infixo Deity

I am really confused about such comments.
    1. Re: wars I specifically wrote a few times already: this is not how strategies work. And yet the comments continue. Please read my previous answers.
    2. Re: space race. AIs will (almost) always build Space Ports and launch rockets because there is PSEUDOYIELD_SPACERACE defined in the game code which is active always. RST lowers priority for Space Race if a civ goes for Culture or Religion, and boosts if it goes for Science.

I have a suggestion (edit: for everybody). If you really wanna enjoy Real Strategy and better AI, please start using it in a way it is designed and intended to use. For a variety of gameplay, to have various challenges, for each civ to choose its own way you need to have few victories active, not only one. And Military victory is the worst to leave as a single one because there is no control from strategy level over wars.

glider1 likes this.
  13. Infixo

Infixo Deity

In the post with "Systems description" I write what AI takes into consideration when scoring settle plots. As you might guess, nothing like "what I can build in the future" matters. Desert is generally avoided because of low yields over there.

14. Infixo

Infixo Deity

This is a vanilla-game issue. Inability to capture low-health cities by AI has been reported in many posts.

15. V. Soma

It may be related to low amenity the AI has...

16. steemroller

steemroller Chieftain

Could be, but why not raze the city, then? It's not like everyone's not a warmonger for good under this scenario.

17. Infixo

Infixo Deity

18. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Chieftain

My post was primarily made to ask why AI would build Space Ports and complete rocket missions even though the only victory option was Domination. Perhaps you previously explained PSEUDOYIELD_SPACERACE in one of the previous nine pages of posts and I didn't see it. Anyway, I won't bother you with anymore questions.

19. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Chieftain

@Infixo: It is really quite easy to disable the ability for players to create Space Ports. If you wanted to ensure that AI could not pursue Space Race projects when Science Victory was disabled, I imagine it could be a simple thing for you to do. I will build a Disable Space Race mod, and release it to the community. You are welcome to incorporate it into RST.

20. V. Soma

Game 3

The First Nubian War was a stalemate
    - it lasted about 15-20 turns, and with the FortifAI mod also on, I could not get a 80 strength city with 3 bombards and few melee...
    Gilga also got to nothing...

After some cease fire Gilga attackaed Nubia again in turn 260
    - now Gilga has mech infantry, bombers (!), rocket arty - Nubia is on my level: muskets and pike&shots.

Gilga has 600 science (22 cities), Nubia has 210 (14 cities), I have 160 (9 cities)...