Real Strategy (AI)

Real Strategy (AI) 2.3.1

Thanks for this mod enjoying it so far.

Do you think that the Real Strategy AI is capable of multiple defensive/offensive operations ie) handling multiple fronts in war?

I only ever saw this in VP and never in the Civ5 AI which seemed to only handle one operation at a time with reactive uncoordinated homeland tactical moves.

Gilder1,

In my last game something "un civ" happened. Felt like I was playing a human player for a moment...
setup:
- duel map inland sea
- 4 civs
- emperor difficulty. No mods except for Real Strategy

Mongolia was North of me. Scythia far East.
On turn 25-ish: Mongolia marched a small army Southwards. I quickly commanded my slingers to go to my capital. Mongolia returned home.
On turn 50: (Mongolia had been expanding rapidly. I had 3 cities, they 6'ish)
-> Mongolia marched a big army southwards towards me. Next turn he tricked me. I've never seen this in civ 5 or civ 6. While marching his army towards me, he sent me a delegation. I received it and sent one back. We were buddies. Then he was in the middle of two of my cities. I thought he was going for Scythia. Instead, he surprise attacked me. So cool! He totally crushed me. Anyway to answer your question, I had a scout way up north. Mongolia, while attacking me, left my scout up North (didn't attack), but instead marched a small army North West to crush a small barbarian army and barb camp. So he was coordinating 2 attacks
Mongolia was extremely coordinated and efficient. I have never seen this happen in any civ 5 or civ 6 game. Eventually I retired. Mongolia didn't came after my capital, instead they stayed organised in the last city they took from me. Even though they could have just taken my capital as well. I’ve seen this before as well; AI hesitant in taking captials (AI vs AI). They take and crush everything except for captals
Now I wonder if this is Real Strategy or Vanilla scripting...? (The tricking me part)

The coolest part was that he tricked me by sending and accepting a delegation with joy and fruit and women just before surprise attacking me. As if Khan was actually thinking like a human player. You know... like the horse of Troy kind of deception.

But then again, during the same game, Scythia called me a filthy liar without any previous interaction whatsoever. She was denouncing for no reason at all and attacking Brussels just for the sake of it. Bit odd

Last edited:
Do you think that the Real Strategy AI is capable of multiple defensive/offensive operations ie) handling multiple fronts in war?
The answer is yes and no.
Yes - because AI is able to run multiple offensive operations at the same time. They can be run against different civs. It can also run multiple defensive ops, and they don’t relate to the attacker, rather to the cities most threatened.
No - because all these ops are still run separately.

VP added additional layer of tactics, so AI ops are in fact better coordinated.

Now I wonder if this is Real Strategy or Vanilla scripting...? (The tricking me part)
Diplomacy is untouched by RST. There are 2 diplomatic attempts during the offensive op. I am not sure however if they are supposed to happen before or after dow.

But then again, during the same game, Scythia called me a filthy liar without any previous interaction whatsoever. She was denouncing for no reason at all
Tomyris received the Aggresive trait in the last patch, along with a few other leaders. They have Denouncement as a preferred diplo action, so yes, she will denounce for no reason from time to time.

Diplomacy is untouched by RST. There are 2 diplomatic attempts during the offensive op. I am not sure however if they are supposed to happen before or after dow.

Tomyris received the Aggresive trait in the last patch, along with a few other leaders. They have Denouncement as a preferred diplo action, so yes, she will denounce for no reason from time to time.
Yeah seems like it. And Im ok with that. Just silly calling me a liar without any kind of interaction. Just feels unpolished-buggy. Like if you start with the Maori and meet someone before you settle your first city, the AI will inform you they just sent a delegation to your capital, with you being in a boat without any settlement whatsoever. Just unpolished-unfinished. Little annyoing bugs like these are easy to fix (by Firaxis ofcourse, not you ;) )

Has anyone else seen the AI not defend itself against bombers? I parked a carrier with two bombers off the coast of Korea and just leveled their civilization over the course of 50 turns. No fighters, no AA or SAMs. I felt bad after a while. Russia did bomb and kill several of my units, however they again did not attempt to stop my bombing campaign.

I had a lovely great game on Smoother Emperor level, tiny pangea, quick speed, as Frelenor... :)

I tried to be peaceful (again), and Japan threatened to make a cultural victory, he was very close to in the Industrial age.
I stole lots of great works, maybe this and giving the works to Germany helped to counter Japan...

And then Germany was leading, heading for science victory.
And Japan for diplo, he had 9/10.

At turn 290 I realized I have to attack Germany to stop his victory... fortunately every civ had war vs. Germany...
It took me a very concentrated effort btween turns 290-315 to capture 2/3 of Germany (about 10 cities EDIT: maybe 15 I think) and all his Spaceports...
AI attacked my units with fighters, though not with bombers... he also had some waves of units... but my bombers made the big difference...

I was lucky to stop Japan's diplo win. And 3 turns before end I managed to reach science victory - a great triumph for me!

Last edited:
AI attacked me units with fighters, though not with bombers...
Finally a proof that AI can use fighters against units.
Bombers are considered more as siege units, AI should use them against districts in the first place. Fighters have promos specifically to fight units.
Awesome.

Finally a proof that AI can use fighters against units.
Bombers are considered more as siege units, AI should use them against districts in the first place. Fighters have promos specifically to fight units.
Awesome.
Well, as 2nd promo the bomber can get +12 against land unit - my bomber could make 30HP damage to a 4promo GDR... I wouldn't dismiss that... but OK, maybe fighters first against units...

Well, as 2nd promo the bomber can get +12 against land unit - my bomber could make 30HP damage to a 4promo GDR... I wouldn't dismiss that... but OK, maybe fighters first against units...
You are right ofc. The trouble is however that individual promos don’t matter for AI, only how the unit is defined in AiUnitInfos.

Hi Infixo. If you have got the time trying to work out what caused this Real Strategy error in the log. I loaded up a save file. The original log before I loaded contained a lot more errors but it was wiped when I restarted the game.
Thanks

EDIT: reattached the log

Attachments

• Lua log Real Strategy.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 127
Another game I enjoyed, again on Smoother Emperor, tiny pangea, usual many mods,
This time I played Australia and went for being agressor from start on.
The game was easier this way - but very entertaining. :)

First in Classical age I captured 3 Maori cities on the east coast to me - then went to the north and west to get some Netherland cities...
And then I got a Military Emergency against me, and Maori came with a large army to successfully recapture the needed city to complete the emergency...
That was nice, Mr. AI :goodjob: - of course I moved to the East and recaptured and more: captured more Maori cities across the ocean, too...

Then Netherland and India on my west came with a joined liberation war against me - ah 2 AI vs me.
This war was mainly defensive on my part, and I had some loyalty problems too...

I had to attack India as he was close to get a religious victory... I wiped him out...

AI Brazil was quite developed and angry at me for the many wars - he also attacked me a few times...
First I defended... in the meantime I wiped out Maori.

I tried to go for cultural win, but in the end in Modern times I won by religion...

Another game I enjoyed, again on Smoother Emperor, tiny pangea, usual many mods,
Enough with these tiny/small test games! Your experiences with them are ... limiting your experience. :)
How can you report on different environmental effects of the mod without playing them?
Please try some std/larger maps (even continents?) on occasion.

From one who has only played huge continents, and takes days-weeks to finish a game. :rolleyes:

Enough with these tiny/small test games! Your experiences with them are ... limiting your experience. :)
How can you report on different environmental effects of the mod without playing them?
Please try some std/larger maps (even continents?) on occasion.

From one who has only played huge continents, and takes days-weeks to finish a game. :rolleyes:
I surely would ;), but I have limitations...
first by machine, I have a 6 yrs old intel i5 760, with 6 GB RAM...
second is time: I am a working man, and even in my spare time I have other things/persons, like a wife (you know)... :)

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked before.
I go back and forth between two PCs. To transfer my game from one PC to the other, do I need to copy and transfer the lualog to transfer the AI's existing strategies as well and, if so, where is it saved?

Small map continents, quick speed... I am (was) USA.
Smoother Immortal level AI Frelenor on the other continent has got cultural victory in the early Atomic Age... I totally forgot to check her...

I had about 50 techs, would have begun spaceports - and had dark age loyalty problems as the other lady, Englenor was my neighbour...
I had her kept behind my in techs, Georgia was on my level, but my hopes for spaceships were in vain...

Infixo, thanks for having iOS support listed. I very much want to use the latest version of the mod because having anti-strategies enabled is very important to me (I like playing Domination-only), but it seems those features were only enabled in v1.3 or v1.4... You recommend using v1.0. Why do you not recommend the more recent versions on iOS? Is there anything I can do to make the later versions work, like deleting the tree file you specified?

Also, Aspyr released an update for the iOS app a few days ago. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
@chi7891 Versions 1.1 and further were created for Gathering Storm. They will not work with iOS.
Edit. They could be adapted for iOS, some work is needed.
As for the app update, i know there was a stability fix. This fix changes nothing in regards to mods, features, etc. The game is still 1.0.0.194 afaik.

Top Bottom