Real World Map Collection

Evanescence

Timeless Mochi Lord
This map collection is for those who like to play on a slice of the Earth!
All maps in this collection have random starting positions and no preset resources.

List of All Released Maps:

Northeast Asia
Spoiler :

Aegean
Spoiler :

Appenine
Spoiler :

Jutland
Spoiler :

Hawai'i
Spoiler :

Iberia
Spoiler :

Yucatan
Spoiler :

South Africa and Madagascar
Spoiler :

Indonesia (In progress)

Sometimes, the maps will undergo changes to improve accuracy and/or gameplay.
Check back for updates from time to time!

These look awesome! Do you know what size these would be (standard, small, large, etc.)?

EDIT: Ah, never mind. Forgot to click the link. Will be trying these out!

Dude, I love you. Those are some of the greatest maps I've seen! :D :D :D :D :D

Finally a resourced Aegean Sea map! And the Appenines, time for some Punic Wars! I'm looking forward to trying these out! BTW, do you take map requests? I've sure been looking for a map of Indonesia for quite some time. Anyway, thank you for your work! :D

@Omega_Kabob: I see you've already looked at the map dimensions. I tend to map things out in small or standard size, but eventually, I will get around to increasing map size as larger maps allow for greater terrain accuracy.

@Petiscator: Thanks for the compliment! And I've actually been thinking about doing the Indonesian islands for a while now. A great archipelago-style map that would make for sure... though I'm still undecided about how much area I am going to include.

@Petiscator: Thanks for the compliment! And I've actually been thinking about doing the Indonesian islands for a while now. A great archipelago-style map that would make for sure... though I'm still undecided about how much area I am going to include.

You're very welcome! I actually tried doing a Huge/Large Indonesian Islands map a few days ago, but I'm terrible at this... my maps end up out of scale, even when I use an image for comparison. Quite hard to put a real life location on a hex-grid, you've got some talent! Any tips for a grasshoper? :mischief:

If this helps at all, I used this map for inspiration. I guess the map size should be a bit larger for Indonesia - if you end up doing it - as it is a quite wide area. Thanks again! :D

You're very welcome! I actually tried doing a Huge/Large Indonesian Islands map a few days ago, but I'm terrible at this... my maps end up out of scale, even when I use an image for comparison. Quite hard to put a real life location on a hex-grid, you've got some talent! Any tips for a grasshoper? :mischief:

If this helps at all, I used this map for inspiration. I guess the map size should be a bit larger for Indonesia - if you end up doing it - as it is a quite wide area. Thanks again! :D

It is hard to put all the intricate details of a natural terrain onto a hex grid map! I personally keep a satellite view of the actual terrain I'm doing in the background, so I can switch between WB and that to make the most direct comparison possible. Still, with the map size constraints, sacrificing some details is inevitable.

Thanks for the map--good topographical maps are a must when mapping real terrain! I like that the map you gave me also has rivers. Finding maps with rivers is the hardest part of it all, methinks.

Yeah, it is a nice map :) I'll keep checking this thread for more of your amazing works. Played on the Iberia map today (as Morocco, against Portugal, Spain and Arabia) and is was awesome! :D

Great work! :)
When putting them into my game, and choosing "Random" as map, is there a chance those are selected?
Thanks in advance. :)

Are these in the Steam Workshop? I can't seem to find them in the collections.

Unfortunately Yucatan and South Africa maps have the Jungle on grass bug and are therefore gimped for actual gameplay... Evanescence, could you fix that? Your maps are very interesting and could provide a baseline for some very local TSL maps.

@ Evanessence: I downloaded the maps and placed them in "Public maps" on my CIV 4 BTS but for some reason the files are not recognized and I can't load the maps. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

@ Evanessence: I downloaded the maps and placed them in "Public maps" on my CIV 4 BTS but for some reason the files are not recognized and I can't load the maps. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Well, I guess that's because those are Civ V maps, and not Civ IV :crazyeye:

Just want to say, *loving* that Iberia map. With all those rivers, woods, and mountains, it's a bit of a pain to get around at first, but once you've put in the roads and cut down some woods to make farms and whatnot, there's a real sense that you've carved a kingdom out of the wilderness!

Unfortunately Yucatan and South Africa maps have the Jungle on grass bug and are therefore gimped for actual gameplay... Evanescence, could you fix that? Your maps are very interesting and could provide a baseline for some very local TSL maps.
There is a mod on the Steam Workshop that fixes this, allowing you to place Jungle on Plains tiles as it's supposed to be. Iirc it's called something like 'Worldbuilder Fix'. OP may want to edit his or her maps to give a more authentic experience - unless ofc the Jungle on Grass is done on purpose. You could argue that Jungle on plains is either too crippling or inaccurate from a realism pov. I've always thought that the 'Plains' terrain type in Civ represents poor agricultural soil in general, not only the vast open steppes, but YMMV.

Stellar land form on the maps btw, although they're a bit too hilly for my taste. Civ really needs a 'plateau' terrain to represent level areas at a great height; it's high time (pun intended I guess :p) we got it in Civ VI imo.

Top Bottom