1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Realism Invictus

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Walter Hawkwood, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Darkphoenix

Darkphoenix Warlord

Happy Birthday Walter!

Many thanks for all the work you've done on this mod! :goodjob:

2. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Thanks guys! :hatsoff:

3. NDU

NDU Chieftain

I am one day late but i also wanted to say, Happy Birthday Walter, thank you to all your work you have done with this mod! :DDD :goodjob: hope you had a great day!

4. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Some questions and observations:

AI uses espionage much more wisely. I see them stealing money from me occasionally and assassinating my governor just when they stand outside my city with a large army. Paradoxically, the turn after the money gets stolen my treasury jumps back to the former amount, t.i. I don't loose any money at all.

City razing is much more common. AI cities until renaissance stay mostly small (size 4 -5) and within a war city razing is very much common, leaving large land areas to the barbs. Is that intended?

What is this Earth evolution 3 map script? It only generates a large landmass. And what is the reason you only allow three map scripts now?

Is there a way to include a (uninhabited) New World into the Planet Generator map script? I miss the Terra map script and always liked the games where after all civs reached a certain development level, a large new landmass was up for colonization.

Also it seems weird that in PI maps jungle is sometimes next to tundra or even polar ice. The script seems to understand forest and jungle interchangely as forested land regardless of the latidude.

In the large World map the lesser tribes go around rampaging the continents. I was playing as Carthage and the Bantus went around with a large 15 unit force including Pikemen (???) and destroyed Egypt, Zulu, Mali, Numidians and finally me. I suppose this isn't intended?

5. Walter Hawkwood

Four days actually (19th), but thanks anyway. :D

Worth looking into.

Not really. We still investigate why this is happening.

That was unintentional and fixed back in the last revision. Earth Evolution 3 is supposed to generate an Earth map with randomized starting locations IIRC.

I think it is more of a matter of tundra and ice, which represent not only polar regions, but also high elevation. At least that's how it is in PW3.

I'll check, but I didn't see anything like that before.

6. Lt_Cmdr_Data

Lt_Cmdr_Data Chieftain

I don't know if you have also noticed that MAF's (on older computers) start to happen regardless of the save file size. I've been playing some tiny maps on my old PC and would start to get MAF's at the end of the medieval era/beginning of the renaissance, while my save file would not exceed 700KB. Before, when I was trying to play larger maps, they would usually start happening when the save file was about 1,5MB.

7. Lt_Cmdr_Data

Lt_Cmdr_Data Chieftain

It would be cool though that once you get there there are very strong barbarian settlements on the new landmass, making it harder to colonize it. Possibly even not as cities, but barbarian forts, so you can't get free cities when you conquer them.

EDIT: Or maybe as cities that are by default razed by conquest.

8. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Thanks for your quick answers, Walter!

My guess regarding the city razing would be that civs aren't able to expand that much. Therefore they destroy the city thus only crippling the enemy civ without overexpanding. It might also be related to the amount of unhappy citizens you get when taking over the city. Maybe it's just not worth keeping them.

9. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bummer, I was looking forward to playing again but 'SourceForge' seems down:mad:..Keep getting 404error code. Was the same for another mod I just tried to download, (Star Trek 2)

Any chance of alternate d/l mirrors/sites. Thanks from what I remember,this is a great mod:goodjob:

10. Walter Hawkwood

http://www.moddb.com/mods/realism-invictus/downloads

11. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Hian the Frog

Hian the Frog TR Designer and XML

@ Ambassador:

AI uses espionnage very nicely now. It can be a real pain to the a**. Spies can stole your treasure, can spy your techs, etc. Having a good defense against espionnage is very useful. As an example, in my last game my two major cities were attacked twice each. Either water supply was poisoned, either there was unrest but in both situations, I lost two or three pop. :eek:

City size is in fact limited by tech progress. I mean that your cities can't grow bigger as long as you're not progressing in agricultural and husbandry techniques. That's intended. In late classical - early middle age, you can find a large number of techs and buildings that boost your food income. Example: Irrigation, Iron working, compass, peasant servitude, etc. I also add that AI try to avoid unhappiness. That's why cities are so small. Another fact is that AI uses wisely the possibility of farming GPs. Often, AI chose to limit the size to -say- 4 but farms a great people.

World maps have to be reworked a bit. We all know that. That's a question of time. I wait for Josh to update the dll. Then, I will add Austronesia as playable civ and make some updates.

13. pioswa

pioswa Chieftain

As mentioned before in RI_Planet_Generator there are to many jungles. Jungle can by found in tundra/ice region (normal temperature settings), and not only in the mountains tops etc. but everywhere (in polar region). Also in the equator there are desserts in the middle and jungle next to it and i think it should by another way around (jungle exactly on the equator and dessert near tropic of cancer and tropic of capricorn). Also savanna should not by present in colder regions of earth (in normal temperature seating).

14. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

In a recent game, the "Age of Muskets" event occurred, and stated that specific advantages would be given if a civ was running the Vassalage civic. Last time I looked, the Vassalage civic wasn't one of RI's civic repertoire. So that event could be reworked.

Regarding the AIs razing cities, I found that when I toggled off various non-military victory conditions, the AIs increased their razing of enemy cities, leaving large areas vacant in the aftermath. After some time, the AIs that survived would then recolonize these areas vacated by the razed cities. I don't have a large enough sample group of games to draw strong conclusions, but my impression is that the more victory conditions I turned off, the more likely it was that the militarily powerful AIs would raze cities captured. FYI, I turned off cultural, time, and spaceship victories each time that this happened. When I started playing again with all victory conditions turned on, the large-scale razing of cities stopped occurring. I also have the impression that if a city/s is/are too far away from the razing AI's capital, or likely to be surrounded by other AI's culture zones after conquest, they might raze the city/s.

15. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Just a small suggestion. Since the Germans already have a Mine replacement in the Bergwerk I'd suggest for the Spanish a different one. The Molinos, the windmills against which Don Quichote fought so famously. Their graphics are also very recognizable (have a look at the Wikipedia entry).

16. Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest Chieftain

I can't seem to recall, but once in a while when I'm loading a game it gives me a hint that a certain map generator program is compatible with this mod, what's the name of that generator? I can't remember for the life of me. Could you post a link to it?

17. Walter Hawkwood

We don't really support this map script ourselves, but I will pass that on.

The civic in question is now called Aristocracy.

German and Spanish mines are quite different, and are among the improvements I personally am quite content with. Though your idea is good, it should have come before we implemented all the improvements. :)

Most of them are. Just choose your favorite. In 3.2 we'll ship some scripts specifically tailored for RI, but generally most of what you'll find here on CFC will work.

18. Pepo

Pepo Prince

I have been playing these game for a lot of time(well total realism )and i really like it.is fun ,and unit balancing,althrougth(in my opinion)has some flaws,i think is very good.continue with the great job you are doing ;) !!!!

19. Propunk

Propunk Warlord

RI guys: please tell me that the new version is coming before Christmas! Please, please, please, please,please !!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

The AI seems to be spamming mounted and light mounted troops in my game, with only a small number of foot units. I'm not sure if this is because it values units weird, or because of the fact light/mounted troops are pretty awesome. A large light/mounted force has amazing hitting power, decent anti-mounted power because light mounted gets a 25% bonus against mounted, and versatility because of speed. The only counter I can find is an archer/pike/cat combo until longbows show up.

The catapults are important, because the archers/pikes can't really defend too long against a mounted force that does collateral damage. Especially a large one, meaning to defend, you need about 1:1 parity or close to against the attackers. Far less if you attack first with cats.

Because the AI seems to be pumping out gigantic mounted armies at the cost of everything else, xbows are really losing their luster and are more of a niche unit. This specialization sounds like it would be a bad thing, except that overall, the mounted thing works. Russian (AI) invasions, I think, use mainly mounted troops as the spearhead for attacking while the French defeated my large invasion through mounted spam due to collateral damage.

Then again, it probably is just me not knowing how to counter it. :(