Realism Invictus

So I have some observations if people care to read them:

The Gymnasium gets no :) from alcohol, which means the Greeks have no use for that resource. An oversight maybe?

In addition to being the happiness building for coffee, sugar and tobacco, the Trading Post is also a very powerful trade booster. I think this puts a lot of extra importance on those specific three resources and I don't really see the logic behind that.

The Sacerdotal Palace has a priest slot, which is rather superfluous.

There seems to be no reason to make a merchants republic. While there is synergy between Republic and Merchant Princes through the Grand Arsenal, but that is only useful if you plan on waging naval wars. Maybe it's an idea to add a Patrician's Senate, similar to the Senate with Nobility but instead build-able with Plutocracy.

Just my 2 cents

So I have some observations if people care to read them:

The Gymnasium gets no :) from alcohol, which means the Greeks have no use for that resource. An oversight maybe?

I'm pretty sure we had figured something out, since well Gymnasia were essentially my idea.
We must have given that Alcohol bonus somewhere else. Was it Baths? To represent the Roman tradition?
Or the Hippodrome? Or had we agreed to give the Hippodrome a happiness bonus with a Statesman or somesuch?
Or was it the Odeon?

I'm pretty sure we had figured something out, since well Gymnasia were essentially my idea.
We must have given that Alcohol bonus somewhere else. Was it Baths? To represent the Roman tradition?
Or the Hippodrome? Or had we agreed to give the Hippodrome a happiness bonus with a Statesman or somesuch?
Or was it the Odeon?

Well, I'm looking at it, and all 3 those buildings have no special stats on them compared to the generic versions.

Thanks for Responding Walter, here are some other thoughts:

It is already fine, if situational. You will want to adopt it in isolated starts or during wars/large buildup efforts. It might be the Free Market that is overpowered...

well, ok if you think that

Don't forget the penalty for those who don't have it. From the point of view of a civ leader, we wanted Labor Union to be a "necessary evil". I think it already feels that way.

yes but please change at least to +2 happiness and +2 health to social g. because -20% gold is too much

True, that's precisely why they were changed. Too useful. But they are cheaper now to compensate.

but why? it's nice that they are useful

There are no ministries before late Renaissance era, and it will likely stay that way.

i said in the beginning or middle of the industrial era, not renaissance. Please evaluate it well because this is pretty important (it's like 1st building for a city for me).

For free, and better offshore platforms.

but why won't you include the +1 production in city water titles?

Keep the awesome work RI team!!!!!:goodjob::goodjob::D:D:

Well, I'm looking at it, and all 3 those buildings have no special stats on them compared to the generic versions.

Actually, he's right. Currently wine (and distilled alcohol, IIRC) is useless to Greeks. Which isn't realistic, since Greeks appreciated wine as much as any other people. We could give this bonus to Odeon for example, but all above-mentioned buildings have the same drawback: they all come significantly later than Tavern, which once again means that wine is less useful to Greeks than to all others. Perhaps we should return this bonus to Gymnasium if not for historical, then for gameplay reasons.

Thanks for Responding Walter, here are some other thoughts

In general, so that you understand what we are currently doing better: in 3.2, we're trying to reduce power of individual buildings; if you try to build something 100% of the time, it reduces the decision-making potential. The Pyramids are one such example: I found that I go for them 100% of my games, and if I build them, I consider myself at least halfway to winning. That's wrong. Buildings shouldn't be useless, but they also shouldn't be so useful as to be indispensable in any situation.

Actually, he's right. Currently wine (and distilled alcohol, IIRC) is useless to Greeks. Which isn't realistic, since Greeks appreciated wine as much as any other people. We could give this bonus to Odeon for example, but all above-mentioned buildings have the same drawback: they all come significantly later than Tavern, which once again means that wine is less useful to Greeks than to all others. Perhaps we should return this bonus to Gymnasium if not for historical, then for gameplay reasons.

I guess you are right.

Hi, I used to be able to see the SVN revision log but I've moved house and in the move had to reset my browser and I lost the link. Does anyone have a link to the latest SVN revision log? IGNORE THIS... I FOUND THE PAGE.

Is it still the plan to add K-Mod to RI? Has it been done and is there likely to be a climate change feature added?

Hi, I used to be able to see the SVN revision log but I've moved house and in the move had to reset my browser and I lost the link. Does anyone have a link to the latest SVN revision log? IGNORE THIS... I FOUND THE PAGE.

Is it still the plan to add K-Mod to RI? Has it been done and is there likely to be a climate change feature added?

K-Mod has long been added and will be a part of the upcoming 3.2. Any SVN user already uses K-modded RI.

K-Mod has long been added and will be a part of the upcoming 3.2. Any SVN user already uses K-modded RI.

Brilliant, thanks. I take it that means RI now has some kind of climate change then? It's been a while since I read about K-MOD.

Hi, first item - thank you for amazing mod. Second item - is there any date when will be 3.2 released, or it depends on how well you can repair bugs?

Thanks again to the R:I team for the years spent laboring to make one of the best games ever written even better!

I am eagerly waiting for 3.2 (and 3.3!), but couldn't hold out any longer, so I'm trying the SVN again after several months off. From what little I've seen (to maybe mid-Classical), everything is looking fantastic. Again, I especially appreciate the love and attention being given to the Armenians -- my own heritage (though it's been nearly a century since my grandparents fled).

I do have a question, as much for the people playing the SVN as the team: What map script(s) are you using and how are you setting them up? Of the three bundled, EE3 looks broken (like others I just get a map of solid grassland +/- forest and some rivers). Meanwhile I saw an earlier post which stated that RI_Planet_generator isn't something you're supporting yourselves, which is fine.

That leaves Perfect Mongoose. I admit to a love/hate relationship with the PerfectWorld series. Ever since I first discovered Cephalo's scripts, I've been unable to play any others. Unfortunately, since he left for Civ V, PW for BTS hasn't really kept up. A lot of people have done a lot of work bringing PW3 to the Civ IV community, and I commend the work of LunarMongoose and the others. Still, I have a hard time generating what I consider a playable map with PW3/PM.

What settings are people generally using for PerfectMongoose? When I use the default options on a huge map, I tend to get narrow, stringy continents made almost impassable from mountain chains, with few valid/desirable city sites and sparse food resources. Additionally, without actually counting tiles, the world map looks like way too much water, with just some scattered crescent-shaped continents, and Civs piled almost on top of each other in the little usable space.

If I select "Low sea level," I tend to get a little more usable land, though it feels a bit heavily skewed to jungle and marsh. I also tried editing the file to raise the land percentage (0.38-0.43ish) and/or reduce the number of meteors, but was underwhelmed with the results (more land, but still not laid out well).

I'm really not eager to go back to the PW2 landmass generator, which trades the snaky continents for the old "Fried egg" ones, and gives up all of Ceph's evolutionary changes/improvements from PW3.

As an aside, I've always been a little iffy about how PW sets up resources. Usually, if I see four or more matched fish/crab/clams in my capital FC, I just regenerate since I know the local area is going to be bizarre. Also, while I understand the clusters of luxuries in theory, seeing five of my eight land tiles plugged up with dye instead of useful, varied terrain is a bit disheartening.

I realize that most of the team's time is focused on getting the mod's resources and gameplay done and not tweaking the map scripts, but I would like to know if anyone has played around with the settings enough to figure out what works for them.

Top Bottom