Realism Invictus

I also agree with krasny's post above. In terms of realism it would be nice that size of your army would be tied to overall population a bit more tightly.

Also, when are you guys planning to start merging Revolutions mod? I know it could be massive work, but that would make this mod even better.

Enjoying the mod as always! :thumbsup:

This may be hard coded into civ 4, so I'm not sure if anything could be done about it, but defensive pacts are quite flawed for 3 reasons:

1) The AI doesn't seem to take into consideration the defensive pacts that a civ has signed when they decide to attack them.

2) A WWI situation is impossible and so is a NATO-type situation. For example, if I have a defensive pact signed with 3 civs and one of them is attacked this isn't considered an act of war against all 3 civs. What happens is I automatically declare war on the civ who was the attacker and my 3rd defensive pact is cancelled.

3) You are considered an aggressor by the friends of the AI that you were triggered to automatically attack when they declared war on the civ you have the defensive pact signed with. (I still think that civ you are automatically triggered to declare war on should still give you the "-3 you declared war on us," just not that civ's friends).

Essentially, defensive pacts are useless if you're a superpower, or you don't think you are going to be attacked anytime soon. You just end up fighting a bunch of wars for weaker civs. If you wanted to do this you could just unilaterally declare war on an expansionists civ that attacked a weaker civ - the end result would be the same. I tried to use defensive pacts to protect some friendly buffer states in strategic areas so I could limit AI expansion by some rival civs (that are too scared to attack me), but since the AI doesn't seem to realize that, "by attacking this civ that 5x weaker, I am also forced into war with a civ that's 2x stronger."

I also didn't receive any diplomacy bonuses for signing a defensive pact with a civ. A +2, or a +3 bonus would be ideal IMO.

Two questions regarding the mod:

1. If I'm reading the OP properly, has MAF stopped being a big issue on random maps on 32 bit systems? This was a huge issue for me when I played the mod in the past, but if I understand correctly, it's been addressed to some extent?

2. If there were one thing I'd want to add to RI, it'd be something like C2C's leader development system, where over time leaders receive new traits, both positive and negative. Are there any plans to implement something like this?

Otherwise, amazing work, and I can't wait to get home so I can take the latest version out for a spin!

Hi all, wonderful mod. However, being of the Portuguese persuasion I immediately went for the Portuguese Civ. To my surprise, in spite of it being in BtS, it's not available for pick in RI...

However, going to the Civilopedia I can see that Joao II and the Portuguese are listed and defined normally within the RI ruleset. I just don't seem to be able to pick them from the new game interface for some reason.

At this point I'm pretty sure this is probably happening to multiple civs and I just happened to stumble into one. What's up with that? How can I fix this? Thanks!

Hi all, wonderful mod. However, being of the Portuguese persuasion I immediately went for the Portuguese Civ. To my surprise, in spite of it being in BtS, it's not available for pick in RI...

However, going to the Civilopedia I can see that Joao II and the Portuguese are listed and defined normally within the RI ruleset. I just don't seem to be able to pick them from the new game interface for some reason.

At this point I'm pretty sure this is probably happening to multiple civs and I just happened to stumble into one. What's up with that? How can I fix this? Thanks!
There are fewer civs that are playable than there are civs listed. The rest are AI controlled in various scenarios (or are playble only within a scenario). Some appear on the map if you grant them independence and they become your vassal (Finns for Vikings for example, or Texans for Americans). It's possible to arrange it so you can play them, but many are lacking in certain units. The Portuguese, like the Dutch, can't build settlers until very late in the game, as they're supposed to represent "city states". So if you rig it so you play as the Portuguese, you'll find yourself playing one-city-challenge. Also, some are "lesser civs" like the Khmer or the Aborigines with the leader option severely hampered by a punishing negative trait that makes competing with others impossible. They're meant to be there for the world map, but not meant to be a serious contender.

I believe they are available to play in the Custom Game settings, just not in the scenario's. Lol, I could be wrong of course, as I am still playing the world scenarios pretty constantly.

Hi,

Portugal isn't playable unless beeing set free from Spain or a revolution.

To be clear, many european civs (Portugal, Netherlands, Hungary, Finland, Austria, HRE, Byzance) aren't playable (or added) because we thought (and still think) that Europe is over represented. I know it's pity. I add that adding a civ in RI is a very looooong task as we try to have flavor units, two National units, one National building, one National Improvement, some flavor wonders, unique list of Great peoples... Long, very long task...Belive me.

On my side, I would be pleased to add Byzance - as I really like this Empire - but our choices are a Team concensus.

I have a question about the ranged attack.

So i have 20 cannons and i think they are going to all range attack a stack. However only a few can range attack and get a fusiler down to 9/12 then none of the remaining cannons can now fire. This leaves other units like the viking carolean with a higher strength and better defence against my other units untouched. So when my cavalry try to attack they have to face units untouched by ranged attack, while ive got 18 cannons that cant fire.

I presume this is because all 20 cannons can only range attack the best defender against them and even at 9/12 the fusiler is still the best defender against them but i want to reduce all the units by 25% with ranged fire, is this no longer possible?

I always thought that even if im at a disadvantage as long as you have a pile of artillery to pound an enemy stack and reduce most of their units to below full strength then you have got a chance but with this i just end up with lots of unusable cannons.

Thanks,

Cliff

Hey Everyone,

I have been playing Civilization IV for years, playing with community player mods for the last 4 years. I have created a fair number of them myself including Extreme2, Age of Discovery, Multiverse to name just a few.

Somehow I missed this mod until now. I am so impressed with the details and modification within this terrific set of rules.

I generally play Civ 4 in a multiplayer setting with a few friends over IP and we have been have a blast with this.

Truly engaging and so many cool changes, its like playing the game for the first time again. My hat is off to all of the modders of this mod.

Question: We started playing a new game last night. Renaissance era with Raging Barbs and we found the Barbarian cities almost impossible to take over. They create a city and instantly have 3 Wardens with 2 to 4 melee units. Those Wardens are just CRAZY with defensive city bonuses -- 65% city defense, with a 50% hill defense, and they essentially heal in 2 turns. I attacked a city last night with 8 trebuchets, 6 longbowmen, and 5 swordsmen and was annihilated. Is this intentional?

Seems like early siege weapons are lacking -- they have no collateral damage and can only damage a single opponent to 75% which it seems they can heal back in 1 turn. I never had one siege engine survive a battle -- so they are a 1-shot unit as far as I can see. Is this intentional?

Again -- outrageously cool mod. I will be playing this for months.

There is something wrong with multiplayer stability on 3.25. I have played (and finished) dozen of games on RI 3.2 via Direct IP connection and never had 'Out of sync' issue.
Quite recently I have started playing on version 3.25 with my friend. We had OOS on each of three games we started. It's usually around ~2800 BC. We use exactly the same game settings as on 3.2 (Tech transfer on, Tech trading/brokering off, Holy city migration on, Protect Valuable Units on, AI plays to win on, Random events on). Loading autosave (even auto-save 10 turns earlier) won't fix the OOS - it's always showing up after loading game.

First I thought it was because of the steam update for Civ4 multiplayer and because we played over steam, not by Direct IP connection. We did revert version to the one that had Direct IP option but the OOS issue remain :(

Any possible ideas what might be the reason or any tips to have stable OOS free multiplayer game ? :confused:

I just downloaded the mod and have played six games on Direct IP without any OOS errors. Perhaps one or more of the versions have slightly modified files? Try uninstalling it completely and remove any other files, then reinstall. Hold down your shift key to dump the cache files and try again.

We do have an odd multiplayer problem though. After the first time we play, all players have to essentially load IR twice to play or it crashes. So they load IR then after its loaded, they then go under advance and load it again. After that, it will load into the save and play without crashing. It stumped us for a long time and it only happens after the first save.

Just something to be aware of.

Hey Everyone,

Question: We started playing a new game last night. Renaissance era with Raging Barbs and we found the Barbarian cities almost impossible to take over. They create a city and instantly have 3 Wardens with 2 to 4 melee units. Those Wardens are just CRAZY with defensive city bonuses -- 65% city defense, with a 50% hill defense, and they essentially heal in 2 turns. I attacked a city last night with 8 trebuchets, 6 longbowmen, and 5 swordsmen and was annihilated. Is this intentional?

To answer a question with a question, when did worldwide colonialism start? Did it start in the era of longbowmen? You might find it to be an easier job with gunpowder!

The built-in RI map generator is extremely biased towards luxury resources at the expense of strategic and food resources. On the last map I generated (huge), there were more than 40 instances each of sugar, dyes, gems, and gold, 37 elephants, but only 3 potatoes, 3 wheat, 2 rice, and 0 corn. Horses could be found on 2 of 7 continents (4 instances in total).

I concur that there are some lopsided nature of resources. As sulfur is utterly essential in the game, like Oil in the original game, I found myself without any on my continent. I am wondering if this could be fixed with a building called a Chemical Factory that could take Hard Wood or Coal and convert the resource in Sulfur?

Either that, add some early gunpowder units -- call them Mercenaries -- that the civ doesn't need sulfur but could still get gun units.

Truly engaging and so many cool changes, its like playing the game for the first time again. My hat is off to all of the modders of this mod.

Thanks.

Yes, it is.
Barbarians are intended to be a plague until gunpowder era. And that's they are. :D
It's very difficult, almost impossible in some cases to destroy them without gunpowder units.

Seems like early siege weapons are lacking -- they have no collateral damage and can only damage a single opponent to 75% which it seems they can heal back in 1 turn. I never had one siege engine survive a battle -- so they are a 1-shot unit as far as I can see. Is this intentional?

Yes it is. Before the gunpowder era most siege units were built to destroy walls, castles and other fortifications.
What we call siege units in RI (and civ) became effective against units with the first cannon.

So, everything is as intended. :)

I concur that there are some lopsided nature of resources. As sulfur is utterly essential in the game, like Oil in the original game, I found myself without any on my continent. I am wondering if this could be fixed with a building called a Chemical Factory that could take Hard Wood or Coal and convert the resource in Sulfur?

Either that, add some early gunpowder units -- call them Mercenaries -- that the civ doesn't need sulfur but could still get gun units.

There's a line of units that don't need any ressources: Irregulars -> Conscript -> Paramilitary. They are weaker but with some luck and well chose promos, they can do the job.

There's a line of units that don't need any ressources: Irregulars -> Conscript -> Paramilitary. They are weaker but with some luck and well chose promos, they can do the job.

Awesome! My friends and I are no longer playing EQ2 but instead playing RI every night. Pulling our hair out, this is a good thing -- although most of us don't have the hair to lose any longer.

We are enjoying the new challenges. Several friends said they simply love the barbarians --- their look, feel, and style of play.

We are enjoying the new challenges. Several friends said they simply love the barbarians --- their look, feel, and style of play.

Difficulty levels are very important. The last three can be very challenging and in some cases almost impossible without a good knowledge of RI.

Barbarians are our "babies", and especially mine. I want to make them a real pain, a awesome problem and as annoying as possible. :trouble: Despite they are still not as intended -but close to - the goal is reached.
They got their own units, some very special buildings, their leaders with a unique trait. As soon as I will find time, some updates will be made to give them even more taste and dangerousness. :devil:

Good game ! ;)

Thanks for the continued excellence! This is generally the first stop when I start playing Civ4, again and again, and again...:goodjob::thanx::cheers:

Hi,

I came back after some time - still a great mod :)

One problem remains though. the startup time of the game with the mod seems to be very long, a couple of minutes actually. Is this normal ?

I am currently playing one of the most recent svn revisions and I launch the game together with the mod, via the appropriate command line option.

Hi,

I came back after some time - still a great mod :)

One problem remains though. the startup time of the game with the mod seems to be very long, a couple of minutes actually. Is this normal ?

I am currently playing one of the most recent svn revisions and I launch the game together with the mod, via the appropriate command line option.
Indeed, the first load will take 5-10 mins. I usually set it up, and then go do some stuff around the house or with the kids to pass the time. You can avoid this by never re-booting you 'puter.:badcomp: So the choice is there to do that.

Top Bottom