Realism Invictus

Since every civ has unique national epic and military epic like art wonders, I think they should be created by great artists instead of being built.

Production of irregular units should increase in cost like every other unit. It's ok to have resourceless unit available but it is too easy to produce them in great numbers fast.

Do you also play with barbarians off because they are outside your control and exist only to harm your civ (and other civs)?
Well, no, but barbarian invasions are predictable and something I can respond to. Religious shock, not so much. It's immediate with no opportunity for impact, and I'm not guaranteed to have the resources necessary to re-spread that religion.

If it's to stay, though, could Rabbi's be moved to an earlier tech? As it is they come very late relative to the religion, and their tech founding Christianity makes rushing for Rabbis a religion self-sabotage.

Since you made it optional and we can both play to our preferences, not much reason for a debate the matter... Except for a few comments below, that I want to add. :p

This is why my efforts are, at least in part, devoted to introducing factors that tend to disrupt the "status quo" of a given game. Religious shock is one of those ways of disrupting a status quo. It leads to bursts of separatism in cities left unhappy and shifts of allegiances between converting civs.
I think that's a great idea, but could I suggest shifting where this happens? I don't think any religion ever began by immediately uprooting anything around it. Usually new religions/cults are minimal and stigmatized before they become popular. It's not until someone makes it a big deal that it becomes an issue.

So I suggest making Religious shock not happen with founding of religions, but instead happen with religious changes. Changing from religion A to religion B impacts religion in that civ. Probably not all that strong or problematic in its own right, but reflects a lot of actual history, and adds a much strong power level to changing another civ's religion via espionage, which I think is key. Religious shock is no longer a "wrong place, wrong time" situation, but instead a tool used to disrupt other civs, which sounds perfectly in line with what you wanted.

Additionally, perhaps spiritual leaders should be exempt from religious shock.

Except for Judaism and some frontier territories (such as Balkans), up until very recently, most "cities" on Earth in Civ 4 terms were mono-religious.
True, but that was usually a matter of force. The Roman empire eliminating pagan beliefs/traditions, the Arabian conquests eroding Zoroastrianism, persecution of Buddhism, Native Americans being wiped out, etc. Less to do with natural spread and more to do with the policies of the powers-that-be.

Now that I think about it, I think allowing religion to spread to religious cities is actually a great solution, if multiple religions increases separatism. Removing religion will become a much stronger aspect of the game, and lend more credence to "No non-state religion spread" civics. New religions will have an easier time spreading so they aren't extinct-on-founding.

Thanks! I never even considered this as a potential issue when I set the average era to be the trigger. It may not be easy to fix, as average era is calculated by the dll, but I will definitely give thought to fixing it.
Maybe it's possible for it to function as "average era of met civilizations"?

Thanks! Those are excellent suggestions! I will keep those in mind when improving the barbarian civ component. While I don't think they should start at war with all civs, as that might be harmful for those civs themselves (as AI might take these new wars seriously and abandon the actual productive stuff it was doing in favor of a new war across the whole world), they should probably start at war with their immediate neighbors.
Could it vary by leader?

I think barbarians uniting into a civ should be seen as a momentous occasion in that new civ, and the assigned leader can reflect the nature of that occasion. Some might be like Genghis Khan uniting various tribes with the intent to conquer, but most, I imagine, would reflect the barbarian civilization maturing and stabilizing to the point of not needing to raid, etc.

By the way, Walter, I am a programmer. Some experience with Python and none with C, but let me know if I can be of any help. I actually have time off from now until January 2nd, so PM me it you want to try and coordinate a time. :)

Maybe it would be best if religions are founded randomly,like a special in-game event without influence of players. Only thing that stays the same every time is that Judaism and Christianity are founded in the same city.
And religious wonders should be possible to build only if religion is present in that city. How can you build Notre Dame or Sistine Chapel without Christianity in your empire?

Production of irregular units should increase in cost like every other unit. It's ok to have resourceless unit available but it is too easy to produce them in great numbers fast.
They do, the rate of increase is just much lower than for regular units. Walter pretty much said that this is an intentional decision.

Man, i really like soundtrack from Ancient Era on mod, sometimes i catch myself listening to your soundtrack for that era, so good.
I would like to see more soundtracks for mod, does anyone has idea for soundtracks at Classical Era and Medieval Era, to make mod even less like vanilla civ 4, for imersion sake?

I am playing last version 3.4 immortal. It is good coming new version, thanks.
-When I played world map, with Julius Caesar as a political leader, nobody declare war to me. All players are friendly, even after I declare war. I think it is bug, not normal.
-AI sometimes is not clever, does not declare war If I have strong army(when it can be harmful for me with taking some cities), if they declare war, they start with 2-4 civilizations to me, It is like all is one and I am one. sometimes going into swamp and I erased all their army. AI also not be aware about logistic problems, They put 20-30 units into one tile, they do not dismantle army. I think it is very nice thing, I mean logistic problems increased strategic view.
-Some countries are very disadvantages until gunpowder era, but until this era the game already finishes nearly. With Iron working some countries have no soldier or no horse soldiers. it is restrictive, so we rewrite history, it should not be very restrictive like that. Some civilizations are very powerful, especially Russia.

Last edited:
Hey where can we get 3.5 version. I used SVN, but couldn't start it or I didn't understand instructions clearly. Also I would suggest re-balancing health for higher difficulties especially on world maps. I play with a friend together on higher difficulties, but many civs have simply unplayable starts, with as much as -5 unhealthiness and negative food. On one map Austronesia needs like 60 turns to complete a worker. While I understand that harder difficulties are meant to be hard, this gives player no choice. It would be nice to have even or positive health on level 1 village maybe level 2, so you can train a worker or build a building for health if needed..or have any choice at all.

Keep up the good work :)

Whenever I try to update the SVN, it gives me the error "Unexpected HTTP status 413 "Request Entity" too large on '/p/civmods/code/!svn/me' "

Is there a more simple place to download the new update?

The Ancient era music actually comes from the game 0 AD.

Last edited:
Whenever I try to update the SVN, it gives me the error "Unexpected HTTP status 413 "Request Entity" too large on '/p/civmods/code/!svn/me' "

It works fine for me, I updated to svn 5209 without problems ... Did you use the right URL with your svn manager ? I use TortoiseSVN with : https://svn.code.sf.net/p/civ4mods/code/realism/bts/trunk/mod

By the way ... A very good 2019 for everybody [party] and especially to Walter a big thank you for his great work !

It works fine for me, I updated to svn 5209 without problems ... Did you use the right URL with your svn manager ? I use TortoiseSVN with : https://svn.code.sf.net/p/civ4mods/code/realism/bts/trunk/mod

By the way ... A very good 2019 for everybody [party] and especially to Walter a big thank you for his great work !

I changed the URL, but now its giving me this error every 5 minutes or so:

ra_serf: The server sent an improper HTTP response

I am currently playing the world map scenarios and I have noticed that some civs have a bonus in diplomacy called "from traits".
For example, the Bantu Kingdom has a +5 with all civs except mine.
How can I remove this bonus?

Firstly, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone; I am back from a rather lengthy vacation. Sadly, there's no 3.5 yet, and it isn't up to me at this point. Can't give you any ballpark either, unfortunately. Though for everyone with SVN, current revision is basically 3.5 (maybe without a couple of fixes and tweaks).

Since every civ has unique national epic and military epic like art wonders, I think they should be created by great artists instead of being built.

This has been sitting in my plans for some time now. I was just too lazy to implement it...

If it's to stay, though, could Rabbi's be moved to an earlier tech? As it is they come very late relative to the religion, and their tech founding Christianity makes rushing for Rabbis a religion self-sabotage.

Definitely. Moved in the recent update.

Additionally, perhaps spiritual leaders should be exempt from religious shock.

Had no time to code this, but seems like a good idea. Noted for future.

True, but that was usually a matter of force. The Roman empire eliminating pagan beliefs/traditions, the Arabian conquests eroding Zoroastrianism, persecution of Buddhism, Native Americans being wiped out, etc. Less to do with natural spread and more to do with the policies of the powers-that-be.

Now that I think about it, I think allowing religion to spread to religious cities is actually a great solution, if multiple religions increases separatism. Removing religion will become a much stronger aspect of the game, and lend more credence to "No non-state religion spread" civics. New religions will have an easier time spreading so they aren't extinct-on-founding.

The only catch in this line of thought is the poor AI, unaware of those changes. Anyway, at this point that's basically true for all separatism stuff, hence it's off by default.

Maybe it's possible for it to function as "average era of met civilizations"?

It certainly is possible, but it would be very detrimental for performance, as the current function used to calculate it is a default one, very fast, while I'd have to write a clumsy custom one for that. We're searching for an adequate solution...

By the way, Walter, I am a programmer. Some experience with Python and none with C, but let me know if I can be of any help. I actually have time off from now until January 2nd, so PM me it you want to try and coordinate a time.

Sorry for not having replied earlier; was on my vacation. You're very welcome if you want to try helping out. Feel free to have a look at what I did and suggest tweaks to the code - though unfortunately our weakest link is currently C++, which I am totally inept at.

Maybe it would be best if religions are founded randomly,like a special in-game event without influence of players. Only thing that stays the same every time is that Judaism and Christianity are founded in the same city.

As it was historically. :D

I don't feel that taking agency in founding religions from players would be a good change. It would trade an element of game strategy for an element of random chance.

And religious wonders should be possible to build only if religion is present in that city. How can you build Notre Dame or Sistine Chapel without Christianity in your empire?

Well, blame Firaxis for that, for putting them into the game this way. Since too many of stock wonders are tied to Christianity, it would create too much imbalance if they would require it. And I definitely don't want to go through creating their counterparts for every other religion to offset that...

Hey where can we get 3.5 version. I used SVN, but couldn't start it or I didn't understand instructions clearly. Also I would suggest re-balancing health for higher difficulties especially on world maps. I play with a friend together on higher difficulties, but many civs have simply unplayable starts, with as much as -5 unhealthiness and negative food. On one map Austronesia needs like 60 turns to complete a worker. While I understand that harder difficulties are meant to be hard, this gives player no choice. It would be nice to have even or positive health on level 1 village maybe level 2, so you can train a worker or build a building for health if needed..or have any choice at all.

There is currently no installer for 3.5 yet. The only way to access it is through SVN.

World map is a scenario, where civs are not supposed to be on equal footing. Some are easier, some are harder, and some are probably impossible on higher difficulty levels. But yeah, there is a general feeling that health penalties from difficulty are too steep. This will change.

Not yet, because there is no new update yet. As soon as the installer is ready, it will of course be available for downloading.

Yeah, and a bunch of other stuff as well. At some point a while ago, we were in direct communication with 0AD team, and we're very thankful to them for letting us use their assets.

I am currently playing the world map scenarios and I have noticed that some civs have a bonus in diplomacy called "from traits".
For example, the Bantu Kingdom has a +5 with all civs except mine.
How can I remove this bonus?

It's not "with all civs except mine", it's simply "with all civs". Relation values towards you don't affect your decisions as a human so it is pointless to have them; relation values are therefore only relevant towards AI civs. As for those in particular, they are there for tribal civs, and they are there to avoid pointless wars. Those modifiers disappear (or rather are offset with an equal negative) as soon as another civ begins bordering them directly. If not for these, AI civs would gladly sometimes declare war on them across half a map and waste lots of time and resources on pointless marching there and fro. You can of course edit Hunter-Gatherer trait to remove them, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Hmm... What if relation values did affect the human player as well? :) What if they affected war weariness. Your people wouldn't like waging war against a charismatic fellow of the same faith who you've had nothing but peaceful and profitable trade relations with, but would have little problem fighting against an infidel with a history of demanding arrogant tributes.

This is not meant to be taken as a serious suggestion in any way, btw. Just an idle thought.

While playing I found out that Orthodoxy can be unlocked via World Builder and it seems to be workable - I can build temples, monasteries, missionaries. Does it mean that it is possible to use Orthodoxy in self-made scenarios? If yes, then does it spread on its own or only by missionaries?

Btw have you considered the idea of renaming "Empire" to "Kingdom", "Republic", "Federation" etc, depending on government type? Like for example "Celtic Republic" (Republic), "Indian Kingdom" (Monarchy).

Btw, religious shock seems to be bugged. When religion is founded somewhere it even says in message bug occured some number...and something. Also religion dies always in your capital even if it is founded on other continent.

And for some reason there are no Potatoes on Terra map?

Last edited:
Hi. I have been playing this mod for several years and would like to say thanks alot for an amazing mod :)

I am one of those who like the exploration part of the game. I like the world to be as unknown as possible at the start of the game. For this reason I would love the following possibility:

* When setting up a new game I would like to be able to choose random number of AI players and random world size. This way you dont know if you play on a tiny earth and already met all civs or if you are actually playing huge world and just met a few of all civs. I'm not sure if anyone else would like this option but I would:)

I also always thought that the boats are to static and that it's a bit to late in the game before you can travel on open sea, especially if you playing Vikings (they reached america around 1000 AD). To make the boat exploration a bit more exciting I would propose the following:

* Early boats that cannot enter ocean should actually be able to enter ocean but only have a small chance to survive on the ocean (for example 25% chance every turn). Maybe after researched Optics, this chance to survive can increase to 40% per turn. I think this would make exploring the sea much more exciting :)
* Specifically for the Viking, I would like if they got an special boat unit (maybe togehter with tech Rudder) that can enter ocean earlier. This would be more in line with history and give an extra touch to that civ.

This is just some suggestions and maybe I am the only one that cares about this... Thanks again for a fantastic mod :)

Hi. Recently I updated this mod to 5215 with SVN, then I used PakBuild to pack art assets as before to reduce startup time. But when the mod starts, all art assets can't be imported to the game.I have tried many times following http://www.realism-invictus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=825 accurately, it still doesn't work. Doesn't the new version of the mod support PakBuild?

Hi. Recently I updated this mod to 5215 with SVN, then I used PakBuild to pack art assets as before to reduce startup time. But when the mod starts, all art assets can't be imported to the game.I have tried many times following http://www.realism-invictus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=825 accurately, it still doesn't work. Doesn't the new version of the mod support PakBuild?
Hi Aisale,
I updated to 5215 too and it works fine for me. I packed the art folder with PakBuild, but as recommended without the 'Movies' folder. To do so I create a 'pak' folder and inside it an 'Art' folder. Then I copy everything except the movies from the 'Assets/Art' folder to the 'pak/Art' folder. Then I execute PakBuild. I choose File/new and select my 'pak' folder. Now the Art folder appears in the input folder in the PakBuild window. I check 'Store full paths' and push the 'New Pak File' button. Then I push the 'Rename' button and enter 'RealismArt.FPK' as the new name. Then I choose PAK/build of PakBuild. This takes some time then ... The new RealismArt.FPK file is created in the pak folder. You have to wait till PakBuild has finished and the list of all files appears in the Packed Files window of PakBuild.. When this is done I close PakBuild without saving. Then I move the new RealismArt.FPK file from the 'pak' to the 'Assets' folder. The Art folder of the Assets folder should now only hold the 'Movies' folder.
This should work now. Before you update, just copy all files from the pak/Art folder back to the Assets/ Art folder.
If this doesn't work, the problem is not located in the PakBuild procedure but elsewhere.
Hope this helps ...

Top Bottom