Realism Invictus

Thanks for the kind words everyone; seems like 3.55 is more or less working, as I saw nothing gamebreaking being reported. A question to people playing it with Rev on: do you also have a missing revolutions tracker button (upper left)? Because I cannot reproduce its disappearance on my side.

Hi folks,

tried this mod and i am beginning to loving it.

Nevertheless i have found one point that bothers me. It is not mod specific. It affects vanilla Civ 4 too.
This point is the enemy army.
IT is quite difficult to see which units are all standing in a stack. For an overview i use the military consulter and click on the enemy from which I would like to See the units.
Is there an easier way to see which enemies are all in a stack?

I know what you're talking about, and the interface in Civ4 is generally the thing that aged the most. Unfortunately, I feel rather intimidated by most UI python stuff, and as such any large overhauls are definitely too much for me, even if I feel they're needed.

hi Walter,
may i ask you,
i like the idea of finish moves for units in transport when moving to hostile tile.

can you direct me where the code for this is located? i wish to port it m if thats ok...

thank you,
remarkable work.

Sure. As I am a bad coder, it is simply in CvEventManager.py, in onUnitMove event. Probably has a larger than needed performance impact too... :blush:

Thanks for the kind words everyone; seems like 3.55 is more or less working, as I saw nothing gamebreaking being reported. A question to people playing it with Rev on: do you also have a missing revolutions tracker button (upper left)? Because I cannot reproduce its disappearance on my side.
I can confirm it's working fine for me. Everything looks great!

The only issue I'm having is frequent BtS app crashes. I'm assuming this has less to do with the mod and more to do with the limitations of the Civ4 engine? Possibly memory spikes?? It's mostly occurring when I click on a tracker button, or receive or initiate some sort AI request.

I've allocated <2 GB RAM to Civ with CFF Explorer and have set the game to high priority in task manager, but am still experiencing issues. I was wondering if you have any suggestions?

I have Windows 7 with 16GB of RAM and a 4.0 ghz 4 core processor, so I'm not hardware limited.

Last edited:
I just installed 3.55. All of the water textures are black in game.
blackocean.jpg

I was going to try to unpack the "RealisticTerrain.FPK", but it errors when it gets to "art/terrain/water/zephymask.dds". Since no one else has reported this I bet the file is just corrupted on my end. Maybe reinstall. For now I just removed the FPK, and rocking the vanilla textures.

I have the same problem as MightyToad. Water is pitch black, but waves are still visible.

I actually had this one pop up myself a couple of times, or something close; I think it's some weird cache loading issue, and usually it was gone after a reboot. But I'll examine other possible causes too.

I just installed 3.55. All of the water textures are black in game.
View attachment 598778
I was going to try to unpack the "RealisticTerrain.FPK", but it errors when it gets to "art/terrain/water/zephymask.dds". Since no one else has reported this I bet the file is just corrupted on my end. Maybe reinstall. For now I just removed the FPK, and rocking the vanilla textures.

Same here. But not only with water tiles.

I restarted and tried again, and now ALL tiles, land and water, are black.

@walter you said the interface of Civ 4 aged tho most.
Thats funny.
Im trying the 3rd. Time to get in Touch with civ 5 (Vox populi) and one of the things i miss most is information. Even with a lot of UI mods, the civ 5 interface looks full of useless Information. For the relevant Information you have to klick yourself to a lot of menues and there are nearly zero overviews.
And the worst thing: no Graphs.
In civ 4 i have the fealing that I have full control and be aware of every single important Information.
Cant understand why Firaxis didnt worked on a better interface for civ 5.

Ok Maybe it is just me that I never really understood civ 5

I've done a bit more troubleshooting on the black graphics.
I previously used "Dragon UnPacker 5" when trying to unpack "RealisticTerrain.FPK". PakBuild was able to unpack it without issue. Unpacking and removing "RealisticTerrain.FPK" solved the issue.
Running in windowed mode also solved the issue. However, that also decreased the resolution severely depending on the zoom. It also disabled the ability to use the mouse to move the field of view around. So, not acceptable to me.
Clearing the cache had no effect.
Running on integrated graphics also had no effect.

I've tried rebooting and clearing the cache multiple times. Best I could do was get the land to appear again. Not sure what else I'm missing.

I've tried rebooting and clearing the cache multiple times. Best I could do was get the land to appear again. Not sure what else I'm missing.
Did you it deleting the content in the folders C:\Users\[YOUR USER]\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Profiles and C:\Users\[YOUR USER]\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache?

[...] C:\Users\[YOUR USER]\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Profiles [...]
My understanding is that deleting the profiles folder will reset the graphics settings, along with all other settings on the Options screen. I'd at least make a backup so that the old settings can be restored if it turns out that the reset doesn't help.

Had the same issue with black tiles here.
I deleted both C:\Users\[YOUR USER]\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Profiles & Cache
and C:\Users\[ADMINISTRATOR]\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Profiles & Cache and it's back to normal

Not sure if it was that which actually fixed the problem.

Im trying the 3rd. Time to get in Touch with civ 5 (Vox populi) and one of the things i miss most is information. Even with a lot of UI mods, the civ 5 interface looks full of useless Information. For the relevant Information you have to klick yourself to a lot of menues and there are nearly zero overviews.
And the worst thing: no Graphs.

Never claimed the later iterations of Civ got it right ;)

The 5 and 6 are good games in their own right, they just don't feel like Civ games to me. They feel like Civ-inspired board games. Lots of design decisions (1UPT, districts) brought them much close to the look, feel and gameplay of a nice board game, which isn't bad by itself, I just wish we also had a modern game that followed 1-4 general direction.

As far as the UI is concerned, it just feels... Old. I don't really know how to put it better - but it feels like the same-generation UI as, speaking of Paradox games, EU2 or Vic1 had - and their games might have gotten better or worse over the years (it's all in the eye of the beholder), but one thing I'm definitely sure of, is that EU4 interface works so much better than that of EU2 (or CK3 vs CK1, for another continued game series).

I've done a bit more troubleshooting on the black graphics.
I previously used "Dragon UnPacker 5" when trying to unpack "RealisticTerrain.FPK". PakBuild was able to unpack it without issue. Unpacking and removing "RealisticTerrain.FPK" solved the issue.
Running in windowed mode also solved the issue. However, that also decreased the resolution severely depending on the zoom. It also disabled the ability to use the mouse to move the field of view around. So, not acceptable to me.
Clearing the cache had no effect.
Running on integrated graphics also had no effect.

Thanks for being so thorough. The windowed part sounds interesting - basically it means that it has something to do with video drivers / shaders. What irks me the most is that I can't reproduce it on my side to troubleshoot.

I actually feel there are two separate issues at work here. The one with all-black terrain that is addressed by clearing cache, and another with black water, that isn't. Myself, I only ran into all-black terrain, so I have no idea how the black water issue can be solved.

My understanding is that deleting the profiles folder will reset the graphics settings, along with all other settings on the Options screen. I'd at least make a backup so that the old settings can be restored if it turns out that the reset doesn't help.

Aren't all settings simply kept in the ini file in My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword folder?

Just started up a game to check, and the land is black again (I didn't clear the cache prior this time). I also noticed the cultural boarders are now a jagged, concave pattern instead of straight lines around the square/BFC.

Top Bottom