Really Advanced Setup

Did you have Disable Other Natural Wonders checked?

If Disable Other Natural Wonders isn't checked then any natural wonders created outside of my mod by either the standard game code or other mods will still show up. If it wasn't checked then King Solomon's Mines was probably created by the standard game code.

There are basically three types of Natural Wonders.
1. Those created outside of my mod.
2. Those created in the Civ Bonus Panel. These can be placed relative to any player's starting location. There is one list for each player.
3. Those created in the Map Bonus Panel. These are randomly placed across the whole map. There is only one map list.
It is possible to have no wonders at all or any combination of the 3 types listed above.

With the Min/Max sliders. What kind of problems are you having?
I should mention that the Min value can never be more than the Max value and the Max value can never be less than the Min value. When one of the sliders is moved past one of these limits the other slider moves with it. For example moving Min value to a value that's greater than Max value causes the Max value slider to move along with it.

I'll add some extra lines to the help text to try and make some of this clearer.

I didn't mess with the wonders i thought that the normal ones would still show up in there normal place even if i didn't change them since i was only using your advance mod nothing else.

I can confirm that version 11 doesn't work on Linux.

For those who want to get this mod working on Linux...

After looking at the Lua.log I found that Civ couldn't find UI\Overrides\advancedsetup.lua. It turns out as I suspected this is due to Linux having a case sensitive file system. It wouldn't be too difficult to fix this although it may be a bit tedious - I haven't tried yet (it could be just a few files with case inconsistency as most of them seem fine). Although I have found that quite a few mods don't work (or don't work well) and this may be the reason so another solution is mount a case insensitive file system. I used a FAT file system and mounted it to ~\.local\share\Aspyr\ after moving the config files onto the new partition.

After that Really Advanced Setup seemed to work perfectly (although I haven't tested everything). If anyone wants more information on this just say - I didn't go into details here as this probably only effects the few people using Linux.

@Resurrection: Click on the Civ Bonus button at the top of the screen. Then click on the Wonders button if necessary. As mentioned above there are three different ways to place natural wonders. 1. Outside of the mod, 2. Using the Civ Bonus Panel, and 3. Using the Map Bonus panel. The Map Bonus panel doesn't have min and max distance because they don't apply when placing things randomly across the whole map.

Only the Civ Bonus panel has the distance sliders (for Terrain, Features, Resources, and Wonders).

@bladewing: As long as "Disable Other Natural Wonders" in the Map Panel is NOT checked the normal Natural Wonders are NOT touched by this mod. So they will exist as usual.

@flamesfault: Thank you for the information. I wonder why AdvanceSetup.lua is named advancedsetup.lua when using Linux? The file name in my mod uses capitals and the the PC version is capitalized when it is installed.

I have managed to get Really Advanced Setup (v11) work on Linux now with a case sensitive file system. The problem was not quite what I first suspected but it is actually caused by Aspyr renaming all the asset files with lower case. This broke the overrides and is why I found the error that civ couldn't find advancedsetup.lua - because it was looking for the lower case version (as on Linux) compared to the upper case version on Windows. So the solution was simple I renamed all the overrides files (the 7 of them i saw) with lower case and also updated the .modinfo file to reflect these changes.

So Really Advanced Setup seemed to work after that. However my version probably won't work with Widows and I can't think of a simple solution for both operating systems. Not that I know anything about Civ5 mods or overrides. So... sorry for wasting your time :).

Thanks anyway and for the mod I really appreciate it.

Does anyone kknow if this will conflict with "More Luxuries" by Barathor as that has map scripts???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

@flamesfault: Thanks for the details. I'm sure that they will help anybody who is using Linux.

@Chrisbburn: I did some tests using various map scripts awhile back and most but not all of them worked OK. Since then I improved the code in my mod that handles map scripts but unfortunately I haven't had time to do further testing with 3rd party scripts. So "More Luxuries" most definitely might probably work. ;)
If you get a chance to try it I would be greatly interested in hearing how things works out.

GenTso,

Once you are through with a stable v11 release (I enjoy the previous *v9* stuff very much -- there are just two essential MODs that i actually use often; InfoAddict and yours!!)... would you mind contacting me (via PM or right here) about a new "small" project that could involve some tricky LUA+XML files.

Hint; I've always been baffled by the current Ideologies screen. Simply feels incomplete... a bunch of Black boxes for Tenets, with only lame hovering text, etc. To me, it lacks a series of custom "Images" that would enhance the actual meaning of those Tenets. Not exactly symbolic Icons like Firaxis used for Social-Policies... but descriptive assets which add some direct reference to each occurances.

That would probably need a somehow complex LUA caller code and a re-design of the XML structure.

Contact me, if you're interested! ;)

@Zyxpsilon: You appear to have PM's disabled - the forum wouldn't let me send one. To answer your question. I'm not able to take on any new projects at this time and still have the time to do it right. If you or somebody else is willing to start things I'd be willing to help if possible but I won't be able to spend a large amount of time with it. Perhaps I could write some of the Lua code if other people are interested in putting everything together and handling the troubleshooting etc...

By the way I always use InfoAddict also (along with the Wonder Race mod) when playing.

Alright then... i'll take that as a "Maybe", somehow.
I'm not that fluent with LUA stuff, although i'm slowly getting the hang of XML functions and most of its features. Which is why i was scouting the membership for possibly help once i have a much clearer grasp on this project main idea and specific goals.

Eventually, i might contact you again if & when.

Wonder Race Mod? Sounds like fun. I'll look for it and take a stab -- besides, i'm almost done with the BNW Z-UI set of DDS files. (So far - a whopping 368+!!) Man, this is-was huge work.

Thanks and good luck with your version #11+ plans.

@Zyxpsilon: What you're asking for is fairly simple. Since, as General Tso mentioned, you've disabled PMs, start a new thread in the main C&C subforum if the following doesn't get you started:
Spoiler :
Note I haven't tested it, but this should be pretty close:
  1. Add a new column to the Policies table called, e.g., Icon, with the SQL statement:
    Code:
    ALTER TABLE Policies ADD Icon text;
  2. Populate your new column with your dds filenames using XML or SQL, e.g.:
    Code:
    UPDATE Policies SET Icon = 'tenet_open_society.dds' WHERE Type = 'POLICY_OPEN_SOCIETY';
  3. Add an icon image to the Box in ChooseIdeologyPopup.xml* above the TenetDescription (I'm not sure what size is possible; it depends on resolution, but I would suggest making your icons partially transparent and desaturated (watermark-style) to allow the largest possible size, if you're not going for symbolic icons. Alternatively, you could make it a smaller opaque and fully saturated icon and place it in a corner, e.g., right-top would be Anchor="R,T"; in which case you'd probably need a small offset, e.g., Offset="-2,2"; and you'd need to move TenetDescription similarly to accommodate it.):
    Code:
    <Image ID="Icon" Anchor="C,C" Offset="0,0" Size="32,32" Hidden="1"/>
  4. Change the PopulateInstance function in ChooseIdeologyPopup.lua* to accept an icon parameter:
    Code:
    function PopulateInstance(instance, text, icon)
  5. Add the following to the PopulateInstance function:
    Code:
    if (icon) then
        instance.Icon:SetTexture(icon);
        instance.Icon:SetHide(false);
    end
  6. Change the 3 calls to PopulateInstance below to:
    Code:
    PopulateInstance(instance, row.Help, row.Icon);
Note that whoward69's UI tutorial is extremely extensive.

* = EDIT: I got the files wrong. It's SocialPolicyPopup.lua and .xml, so the above must be changed quite a bit; but it's a similar process.

So, first of all, I love this mod. I haven't had the time to do a really in-depth setup for a game, but I'm itching to do a big game with each civ starting with the terrain and resources around their start position tailored to them.

I have discovered what may be a bug, using the Test 11 version in the OP of this thread.

I started a game as Venice, with 3 Luxury and 3 Bonus resources set to spawn within 3 tiles of my starting position. This worked and the items spawned. However, as I got further into the game, I realized that despite having plantations on some tiles, I wasn't getting the luxury resource bonus to happiness and when I tried to trade, it would show me as not having that resource. I'm not certain, but as a guess I would say that the game isn't counting the bonus luxury goods as being owned. Working the tiles still produced the tile's food/gold/production, but I don't gain the benefit on the strategic level. Likewise, while I can get the 6 food from Lake Victoria that I had set to spawn nearby, I did not receive happiness for discovering it as far as I can tell.

I am slightly embarrassed to admit I have been using the increased city radius mod here as well, in case that might be the issue: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...363911&searchtext=increase+city+radius+3+to+4

If you need, I can send you the save file of the game.

@flamesfault: Thanks for the details. I'm sure that they will help anybody who is using Linux.

I have managed to get Really Advanced Setup (v11) work on Linux now with a case sensitive file system. The problem was not quite what I first suspected but it is actually caused by Aspyr renaming all the asset files with lower case. This broke the overrides and is why I found the error that civ couldn't find advancedsetup.lua - because it was looking for the lower case version (as on Linux) compared to the upper case version on Windows. So the solution was simple I renamed all the overrides files (the 7 of them i saw) with lower case and also updated the .modinfo file to reflect these changes.

So Really Advanced Setup seemed to work after that. However my version probably won't work with Widows and I can't think of a simple solution for both operating systems. Not that I know anything about Civ5 mods or overrides. So... sorry for wasting your time :).

Thanks anyway and for the mod I really appreciate it.

Hey there.
First time I tried the mod unaltered, the game simply wouldn't load any setup screen.
Changing the all the file to lowercase and every reference to them inside the civ5mod file, get the game to actually load. However, All I can see is the regular "advanced setup screen".
Apparently the mods were loaded successfully but there isn't any change happening to the UI.
There were also the Cultural Diffusion and Revolution mods, I couldn't find reference to the mods inside the game however there surely was lot more city-states than expected, maybe caused by the revolutions. Any ideas?

@Warpeace: Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what's causing your problem with the luxuries. This mod places the luxuries on the map just like the standard game does so it's pretty much impossible for this mod to cause that kind of problem. I'd recommend disabling all other mods and clearing the Civ 5 cache. If that cures the problem then try enabling the other mods until the problem shows up. If it shows up again then there's a mod conflict. Otherwise the problem was caused by a corrupted cache. (After writing the stuff above it occurred to me that the "Relaxed Rules" option can cause the mod to place resources in slightly different locations than the normal game. As far as I know that option shouldn't cause any problems but I guess it could be possible. Did you have Relaxed Rules set? If so what where the actual resource types that where placed?)

As far as Natural Wonders appearing near your starting point. I checked it out after you mentioned it and noticed in my testing that the game doesn't count a natural wonder as being discovered if it is within your starting units sight range at the start of the game. As far as I know this is a bug that's located within the game code. It normally doesn't show up because natural wonders usually don't appear near starting locations. I could probably correct it by adding code that searches all of the visible plots around each player's starting location but that would add time to the game start up. After some thought it occurred to me. Is the player really discovering the natural wonder if it's already in view when they start the game? I might correct the situation but for now I'll just add some help text that mentions the situation. Thanks again for the heads up.

@gfurst: Please make sure that are not "backing out" of the mod. Are you doing the following steps?
Enable the Really Advance Setup mod in your game and click "Next". Then click "Single Player" then "Set Up Game" then "Advanced Setup".

I just wanted to give a heads up. Some of the help text located in the Civ Bonus and Map Bonus lists is incorrect in version 11 and may cause confusion. (The text says the same thing for both lists when it should be different.) It will be corrected in version 12.

@Warpeace: Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what's causing your problem with the luxuries. This mod places the luxuries on the map just like the standard game does so it's pretty much impossible for this mod to cause that kind of problem. I'd recommend disabling all other mods and clearing the Civ 5 cache. If that cures the problem then try enabling the other mods until the problem shows up. If it shows up again then there's a mod conflict. Otherwise the problem was caused by a corrupted cache. (After writing the stuff above it occurred to me that the "Relaxed Rules" option can cause the mod to place resources in slightly different locations than the normal game. As far as I know that option shouldn't cause any problems but I guess it could be possible. Did you have Relaxed Rules set? If so what where the actual resource types that where placed?)

As far as Natural Wonders appearing near your starting point. I checked it out after you mentioned it and noticed in my testing that the game doesn't count a natural wonder as being discovered if it is within your starting units sight range at the start of the game. As far as I know this is a bug that's located within the game code. It normally doesn't show up because natural wonders usually don't appear near starting locations. I could probably correct it by adding code that searches all of the visible plots around each player's starting location but that would add time to the game start up. After some thought it occurred to me. Is the player really discovering the natural wonder if it's already in view when they start the game? I might correct the situation but for now I'll just add some help text that mentions the situation. Thanks again for the heads up.

You're welcome. I actually cleared the cache as outlined in the OP after I wrote my post and tried another game, and so far it's worked fine. Even with the other mods, which have grown to include InfoAddict and Wonder Race. So it appears 'twas a corrupted cache.

Also, I did not have Relaxed Placement enabled. And for Natural Wonders, you make a good point. If the player has them right near their start point, then they're getting the benefit of a really nice tile. Losing out on a single point of happiness isn't a huge deal, and getting access to something like Lake Victoria from the get go is a much, much bigger deal.

I just uploaded Version 12 of the mod. This is not a beta version so I removed the stuff in the first post related to beta testing. Feel free to let me know how things go. Good or bad.

I'll update the pictures and description text in the first post sometime in the near future.

Version 12 has frustrated me badly compared to version 9: First, I can't see or use the Science bonus slider even when the game is in full-screen mode. Second, it's almost impossible to choose a convenient bonus value with the new sliders. Even at my slowest and most careful, I ended up with values like 29, 177, and 1003. :crazyeye:

Could you please try to fit all four sliders onto a 1024x768 screen in the next release? And could you please change the slider increments to go up by 5 or 10? (Most players don't memorize the formulas for starting values, so giving "friendlier" bonuses would be very helpful.) Thank you!

Top Bottom