Really Hope There's an Undo Button in Civ7

InsidiousMage

Emperor
I guess I was just playing kind of sloppily today but, man, just a ton of misclicks. Its such a downgrade going from Old World to Civ6 in that regard and I really, really hope there is an undo button in Civ7.

Agreed. Being able to quickly fix a misclick or glitch would be a massive quality of life improvement for the game. I'm actually at the point where it may well be a deal-breaker if there isn't one.
this is one of my most anticipated potential features for civ7 hands down. will be disappointing if its missing
I would also like to see this feature in the next game. It shouldn't be allowed in multiplayer games, of course.
Luckily, the undo button is also considered an essential addition for Civ7 by PotatoMcWhiskey so hopefully he was very insistent about its inclusion when he visited Firaxis.

Although, it kind of ruins the randomness of things like tribal villages. Maybe there should be some actions that can't be undone?
I think most people won't abuse the mechanic in that way and, even if they do, who cares? I mean, I'm not going to waste my precious time trying to get the perfect tribal village rewards and I really don't care if somebody else wants to since it doesn't effect the game I'm playing.

Also, I'm sure what you get is set for that specific turn. I've redone turns where I've gotten tribal villages and the reward is always the same, if I remember correctly. You have to wait an entire turn for a new reward so I feel like doing it that situation wouldn't be worth doing for a turn or two because of the opportunity costs.

Definitely could be ripe for abuse. I think being able to load from an autosave is enough.

Definitely could be ripe for abuse. I think being able to load from an autosave is enough.
Takes too long for it to be feasible. And abuse from what? People being willing to use it to manipulate their game? Then we better get rid of quick saves and autosaves, then. Remove the difficulty levels too.

No. It's an important quality of life feature that really drags down the enjoyment of the game - it shouldn't be stopped on account of people who are only ruining the game for themselves and already have a thousand avenues to "abuse" the game.

I think most people won't abuse the mechanic in that way and, even if they do, who cares? I mean, I'm not going to waste my precious time trying to get the perfect tribal village rewards and I really don't care if somebody else wants to since it doesn't effect the game I'm playing.

Also, I'm sure what you get is set for that specific turn. I've redone turns where I've gotten tribal villages and the reward is always the same, if I remember correctly. You have to wait an entire turn for a new reward so I feel like doing it that situation wouldn't be worth doing for a turn or two because of the opportunity costs.
It's not based on turn. It's based on the next random number coming from the random number generator. If you force the game to generate another random number by, for example, attacking a barbarian unit, then you will get a different reward from the tribal village. Likewise, if you get a low roll on an attack, you can do something else to generate a random number and try for a better attack.

You're right, though, I guess. If someone wants to abuse the undo button in a single-player game, then who cares?

Not a fan. Just play better.

If they did do it though, it should be an optional mode that can't be turned on mid game.

Just play better.
Ah, there's that paternalism that always has to company these kinds of discussions. But yeah, I'll just "play better" when the mental fatigue sets in after a couple of hours of play and I'm trying to grid out a victory because that's something you can do.:rolleyes:

Ah, there's that paternalism that always has to company these kinds of discussions. But yeah, I'll just "play better" when the mental fatigue sets in after a couple of hours of play and I'm trying to grid out a victory because that's something you can do.:rolleyes:
Can it with that crap.

It would be nice if an undo can be turned off so Game of the Month and Hall of Fame do not need to be concerned with replaying turns.

Not a fan. Just play better.
I personally think that what constitutes "good" with regards to how i play is whatever begets good outcomes. when playing a videogame, all thats really at stake is my happiness/enjoyment. measuring how im performing at the tasks the game expects me to complete is only useful insofar as it can improve how i feel. so the "best" way to play is whatever makes me happiest and what makes me happiest is winning, unless its somehow more fun/satisfying to do things in a way where i lose. therefore, an undo button will necessarily make me play "better", because it gives me more options for how to proceed and allows me to freely choose between those options to get the outcome that makes me happiest.
for others, an undo button would make them play "worse", as it would make them have less fun. for that reason i think there should not only be an undo button but also a way to have it enabled and a way to have it disabled. i neither know nor care which of the two should be the default.
as leif said, having a way to have it be verifiably, permanently off for a game would also be a good feature and therefore should be included
thats my two cents

I guess I was just playing kind of sloppily today but, man, just a ton of misclicks. Its such a downgrade going from Old World to Civ6 in that regard and I really, really hope there is an undo button in Civ7.

this is one of my most anticipated potential features for civ7 hands down. will be disappointing if its missing

Considering that Civ VI left out some, in my opinion very basic, features at launch, I am hesitant about wishing to hard for things. I hope you get your wish though, and I don't get people going for the "but people can cheat / git gud / abuse"-argument. Unless you are in MP, or Hall of Fame, or Game of the Month, there is nothing to abuse because you are not competing against anything.

I remember in Civ V playing a mod, and in the early days of Civ VI that existed too but I'm not sure if it still does, where you got all the abilities from all civs. It was an absolute cheat, but I really enjoyed it in single player.

And, call me crazy, but I think if I went to the Firaxis design team and said "My main goal is to enjoy the game, and I did it like this, and it was amazing" they would say "So nice to hear you had a good time" instead of "You need to get better because you cheated the game".

People wanting an undo button really don't understand human nature, it will be used by folks who then wonder why they aren't enjoying the game as much as they used to.

If we really must have then make it an option selected at the beginning of the game and ensure it is clearly flagged in the save file that it is active.

I personally think that what constitutes "good" with regards to how i play is whatever begets good outcomes. when playing a videogame, all thats really at stake is my happiness/enjoyment. measuring how im performing at the tasks the game expects me to complete is only useful insofar as it can improve how i feel. so the "best" way to play is whatever makes me happiest and what makes me happiest is winning, unless its somehow more fun/satisfying to do things in a way where i lose. therefore, an undo button will necessarily make me play "better", because it gives me more options for how to proceed and allows me to freely choose between those options to get the outcome that makes me happiest.
for others, an undo button would make them play "worse", as it would make them have less fun. for that reason i think there should not only be an undo button but also a way to have it enabled and a way to have it disabled. i neither know nor care which of the two should be the default.
as leif said, having a way to have it be verifiably, permanently off for a game would also be a good feature and therefore should be included
thats my two cents
I would think that an undo button would make you play worse as you could use it as a crutch.

People wanting an undo button really don't understand human nature, it will be used by folks who then wonder why they aren't enjoying the game as much as they used to.

If we really must have then make it an option selected at the beginning of the game and ensure it is clearly flagged in the save file that it is active.
Agreed. It will make the game easier and then some people will turn around and complain about the game's difficulty level. 🙃

I also think that achievements should be disabled if you start a game with the undo button.

Last edited:
Top Bottom