Reef

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Well, you are obviously not a fan of Monty Pythons then: Laden Swallows are a Coconut's favourite means of transportation (note: still unestablished if that'd be an African or European Swallow) ;)

No but seriously, as all (?) trees Coconuts flower and issue pollen:
"The flowers of the coconut palm are polygamomonoecious, with both male and female flowers in the same infloresence. Flowering occurs continuously, with female flowers producing seeds. Coconut palms are believed to be largely cross-pollinated, although some dwarf varieties are self-pollinating." So I'd guess either birds or sea-farers might have carried either pollen or whole fruit.

---

How bout little waves and the gulls roaming for fish in the sturdied waters?

"What is your favourite colour?"

Actually, I am a member of The People's Liberation Front of Judea. :p

I'll experiment with the water, maybe something subtle would be best?

Reg: The only people we hate more than the Romans are the ****ing Judean People's Front.
Stan: Yeah, the Judean People's Front.
Reg: Yeah.
Stan: And the Popular Front of Judea.
Reg: Yeah.
Stan: And the People's Front of Judea.
Reg: Yea... what?
Stan: The People's Front of Judea.
Reg: We're the People's Front of Judea!
Stan: I thought we were the Popular Front.
Reg: People's Front!
Francis: What ever happened to the Popular Front?
Reg: He's over there. [points to a lone man]
Reg, Stan, Francis, Judith: SPLITTER!

:D sound good

... So I arrived here via a link in Pounder's airfield thread, which engendered an idea. :bump:

I've been going nuts trying to figure out how to simulate currents in C3 (Hang Seng's treasure ships following the clockwise Pacific currents; early caravels being unable to round the Horn Of Africa). So - thanks to Pounder - I'll use this for LM terrain and jiggle LM MF and "ignore MF" values to encourage North Atlantic exploration & trade for sailing craft and North Pacific trade for the same.

Thanks Pounder,

Oz

Wouldn't this be more useful perhaps as an alteration to the Sea graphics, as you can have landmark terrain for Sea, whereas Coast you can not.

Personally, I'd like to use it as an impassable +1 commerce/food/production (from tourism) Sea LM.

Just think it would be more useful this way as far as variation of terrain goes.

I've been going nuts trying to figure out how to simulate currents in C3 (Hang Seng's treasure ships following the clockwise Pacific currents; early caravels being unable to round the Horn Of Africa).

(I'm on holiday, so I cant test this out myself) could you use roads onto impassible terrain? Make sections of passable sea/ocean (as appropriate) separated by lines of impassible terrain, place roads on the terrain to allow movement onto the impassible terrain only in a clockwise direction, then create a new resource that looks like empty sea/ocean (as appropriate) and place it on the squares with road (since resources cover roads/rail).

#edit
Making the ships wheeled and the terrain impassable to wheeled, would probably be better.

(I'm on holiday, so I cant test this out myself) could you use roads onto impassible terrain? Make sections of passable sea/ocean (as appropriate) separated by lines of impassible terrain, place roads on the terrain to allow movement onto the impassible terrain only in a clockwise direction, then create a new resource that looks like empty sea/ocean (as appropriate) and place it on the squares with road (since resources cover roads/rail).

#edit
Making the ships wheeled and the terrain impassable to wheeled, would probably be better.

Interesting, although it would make for a strange-looking road-riddled map ... and I'm definitely going to give some thought to your wheeled terrain approach.

I've also long been frustrated by by the r/w immensity of the Pacific, making it really too large for a Civ map yet unrealistic in the extreme to compress. My tentative approach is going to be to have LM Ocean tiles which appear identical to regular Ocean tiles but would have a higher movement cost. The delineations would be known to the player: (1) The Straits of Magellan and (2) roughly the Straits of Malacca & southward.

So I guess this has gone from a bump to a morphed O/T. Thoughts anyone?

Best,

Oz

EDIT: Woops! I just saw god money's post and had forgotten about there being no LM Coast possible ... *sigh* ...

-O.

Added some more to the Coastal Tundra, Volcanos and exotic crater pools.

This file also provides the icy portion of the reef. This is intended to be used with the wcso file in post #2, download both and place in the terrain folder (don't forget to save a copy of your originals).

Attachments

• coastal tundra preview.png
    coastal tundra preview.png
    429.2 KB · Views: 3,848
  • xtgc.pcx
    385 KB · Views: 480
Can someone help me out?, I'm not sure which download to use, what does wCSO stand for?. I'm using "Sn00py's Terrain Graphics Modpack v4.5".

Most interesting. Too bad we can't put a bombard value of terrain. Then this'd be perfect as a reef.

you could make some kind of unit thats immobile that can do some dammage of some kind...:eek:

oh dang! thats sweet im trying to come up with some kind of pirate scenario...

Top Bottom