Reef

Pounder

Phaethon was here
Edit:June 30, 2012

Double Reef Download on Post #121

This is just using the sea portions of the wCSO file, no wSSS tiles used in this preview.

Using the wCSO for the LwCSO will give these results.

I think I will use this as standard terrain in my regular random game as this is a sample of a random map.

I may extend a bit into the ocean tiles as it is the same file and I would only do a bit of the ocean tiles. I will abandon the other file that I posted and continue in this vein.

Edit:Aug 29, 2008Updated xtgc file
Added some more to the Coastal Tundra, Volcanos and exotic crater pools.

This file also provides the icy portion of the reef. This is intended to be used with the wcso file in post #2, download both and place in the terrain folder (don't forget to save a copy of your originals).

You can download it from post #108 of this thread.

Edit:July 7, 2007Updated xtgc file
Added a ship wreck and changed a few more tiles.
This is intended to be used with the wcso file in post #2, download both and place in the terrain folder (don't forget to save a copy of your originals).
You can download it from post #107 of this thread.

Edit: January 9, 2004 this is a preview of a combination of CrackedCrystal's mod to the wCSO file and my reef mod.
You can download it from post #81 of this thread.

Snoopy's Terrain only.

Original Post

This is only usable by people that use the Snoopy's terrain shown in the preview (now there is a Rhye's Terrain Version).

Edit Aug 29/04: There is now a Rhye's version.
Edit Oct 17/04: Version 1.1 preview is on Post #63 and download on Post #65.
Edit Nov 06 2004: Extending the reef with the xtgc file, preview post #72 and download post #77.

I have added a reef that shows up on the southern coastal.

I like it, but I think it needs to be a bit more colorful... I mean, it looks more like a pile of rocks than a reef really. Maybe a little more dense as well?

Have you lived near a reef? They just look like piles of rock at a distance. :)

I like it, but wouldn't it be more useful if it was in the form of landmark terrain
for sea? (unfortunetly we can't have LM for coast :rolleyes: )

I dunno... even if a coral reef does look like a "pile of rocks" from a distance, it's still a bit more cluttered than this. The forms are too sparse I think. It doesn't have that "underwater jungle" look of a coral reef.

I mean, look at this picture here...

There's like areas of coral, beds I guess you could say.

@ dom pedro II - Couldn't find a bigger picture could ya? ;) :p

@ pounder - these look like they could be quite useful (espcially if they were LM sea)
Have you ever thought about making your own total graphics mod (like snoopys) with all your altered and original graphics, I think it would save lots of people time compiling everything :) :goodjob:

Well the problem is that firaxis employed a different order with the sss file, when compared to the cso one- try it in the editor: you will see that snoopy's coastal water terrain bear a little issue that will be most difficult to resolve...

Dom Pedro II said:
I like it, but I think it needs to be a bit more colorful... I mean, it looks more like a pile of rocks than a reef really. Maybe a little more dense as well?

I did have other versions with some coral (a bit more colour) and version with some kelp forests and larger rock formations. What I noticed when I used larger pieces was that it became very hard to hide patterns and the larger pieces were just to dominant.

I was trying to make something for the epic game. I think that coral reefs and kelp forests would be good in scenarios as landmark terrain.

Pounder said:
I was trying to make something for the epic game. I think that coral reefs and kelp forests would be good in scenarios as landmark terrain.

I for one would greatly appreciate something like that.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Well the problem is that firaxis employed a different order with the sss file, when compared to the cso one- try it in the editor: you will see that snoopy's coastal water terrain bear a little issue that will be most difficult to resolve...

I'm still not quite clear on this, if I look at the wCSO file and compare it to the lwCSO file they look identical. You refer to the SSS file and I don't understand what it has to do with the CSO. I'm sure your right, I just never came across this yet. :confused:

Are saying that the tiles in the two files wCSO and lwCSO are read in different order, I will have to try it in the editor.

Learn something new every day.

Top Bottom