Reform of CFC Public Discussion of Moderator Action Rules

Do you support a thread in Site Feedback to discuss or appeal CFC moderator actions?

• Total voters
...some of the behavior we have seen leads me to think that there is something to the belief that allowing PDMA is just a waste of time.
Keep in mind that there are different kinds and degrees of PDMA. Some of it is extremely emotional, based on a variety of factors that people not involved may not have any hope of understanding without a detailed explanation - because they weren't there.

I get the impression that PDMA in the NES/IOT forums isn't like PDMA in OT. They have members in common, but the subforum cultures are quite different and people may react differently in each place.

Relaxing PDMA rules in usergroups could be a decent idea as well, although I have not discussed this with any other staff members and they may well have reasonable objections.
If you mean social groups, I couldn't agree more. It's unreasonable, in my opinion, to zap people for PDMA in social groups that are completely private or private/invitation-only. Most of the forum members will never see that content and the person who runs the group is responsible for keeping things civil anyway.

And consider the mechanics of infracting someone in a social group. It doesn't work the same way as in a regular forum. Infracting via a person's profile means there is no link for the infractee to follow to see the actual post that was infracted. This makes it much harder, sometimes impossible, to compose an appeal if the member decides to do so - since the "evidence" against that person is either hard to find or even inaccessible. That's not justice, in my opinion.

Keep in mind that there are different kinds and degrees of PDMA. Some of it is extremely emotional, based on a variety of factors that people not involved may not have any hope of understanding without a detailed explanation - because they weren't there.

I get the impression that PDMA in the NES/IOT forums isn't like PDMA in OT. They have members in common, but the subforum cultures are quite different and people may react differently in each place.
That's my impression too. If anything the high level of cohesiveness in NES was a major factor behind the level of discord that resulted. OT posters would never have felt the same level of solidarity toward each other. The result is that NES generally has a lower need for moderation but is much more prone to collective outrage than the comparatively more atomized OT.

If you mean social groups, I couldn't agree more. It's unreasonable, in my opinion, to zap people for PDMA in social groups that are completely private or private/invitation-only. Most of the forum members will never see that content and the person who runs the group is responsible for keeping things civil anyway.

And consider the mechanics of infracting someone in a social group. It doesn't work the same way as in a regular forum. Infracting via a person's profile means there is no link for the infractee to follow to see the actual post that was infracted. This makes it much harder, sometimes impossible, to compose an appeal if the member decides to do so - since the "evidence" against that person is either hard to find or even inaccessible. That's not justice, in my opinion.
Yep, I meant social groups. Edited my post to reflect that.

One of the advantages of allowing PDMA in social groups is that we wouldn't be obliged to respond but could still see the comments. I personally would look in social groups to see what people were saying about moderation in general and my moderation in particular so that I could see what people thought was working and what wasn't.

Infractions related to social groups are rare, but of course you're right that there isn't a button we can press to mark a post as having been infracted. I'd like to think we'd at least quote deleted post(s) to the poster if requested and take them into consideration if there were an appeal, but at the moment I can't remember one happening since I was made a mod last May.

This is probably the most accurate analysis of the crisis that I've seen from anyone up until this point, Bootstoots. I'm impressed.

There were, of course, other triggers that I'm restricted from mentioning due to PDMA, but you got the broad ideological strokes absolutely correct.

Also you're very thoughtful with considering our arguments, which I have to say I really appreciate even if you don't agree with them 100%. Honestly, it's extremely nice to have a moderator, any moderator, listen to what we have to say and say that our arguments have some legitimacy to them, rather than just pushing back.

That's my impression too. If anything the high level of cohesiveness in NES was a major factor behind the level of discord that resulted. OT posters would never have felt the same level of solidarity toward each other. The result is that NES generally has a lower need for moderation but is much more prone to collective outrage than the comparatively more atomized OT.

This is more or less what it boils down to. What you have with #nes is an IRC channel where effectively 80-85% of all of the people who post and participate regularly in NESes are online at some point or another every week. Many are on everyday. For something comparable to happen in OT you'd have to have a good 30-40 people being regularly logged into #fiftychat rather than what you do have which is 10-15, with about half of those being former OTers who long since quit posting. The results are stark. In OT I may see a poster say something everyday, and I may form an opinion about them based on what I see. There are people I like, whose opinions I tend to agree with, and people I dislike whose opinions tend to irritate me. But at the end of the day I don't know these people. They are faces in the crowd to me. With #nes are people whom I talk to everyday. We share stories, we talk about our days, we open up, talk about our personal lives. We revel in each other's ups and we commiserate in each other's downs. I've known some of these people for 5 years now, and I would consider them to be among my closest friends, in real life or online. So yeah, I would say that it's something different than what you get in OT.

The other side of it is the profile of a typical NESer. I know the joke is to describe OTers as intellectuals, and it's a joke precisely because it's inaccurate. OT is a wide assortment of characters ranging wildly in age and level of education. From 13 year olds who are just starting high school, to high school smartasses, to collegiate freedom fighters to hardworking professionals to parents to cynical retirees. The NESer profile is much more focused. Male, mostly aged 20-27. Highly educated with many in or seeking postgraduate education, most with a strong background in humanities disciplines. They like to think of themselves as emotionally matured and with a strong sense of morality and ethics. They've worked hard to get where they are, whether that be in terms of their profession, their education, or their hobby. They want to be approached and treated by staff as adults, not as petulant children who need their toys taken away, as OT is treated. This is the reason BJ was considered a popular and well-liked mod. He was a member of the community who understood the thought process and internal dynamics of the NESing community. His reaction to bad behavior was not to burn everything to the ground immediately, but to approach the wrongdoer person-to-person and come to an understanding. NESers largely see themselves as being above infraction. Not in a haughty, anti-establishment sense, but rather in the same way as a parent wouldn't ground their 25-year old child. They've matured beyond that stage. This is a community; close friends who have known and worked with each other for years, a decade in some cases, not a loose collective of mostly-strangers. They know where the line is drawn and are loathe to cross it unless they feel it necessary to do so, and so honestly the best way for a mod to behave in NES is to understand this. Attacks or infractible offenses largely aren't the random line-pushing "for the lulz" that you get in OT, but rather a measured action with a logic performed to achieve a specific end. A NESing mod should recognize this and try to come to a more complete understanding of what is going on, rather than barging in and throwing down infractions left right and center, as might happen in OT.

But what if the thread was in a separate subforum that was not visible to non members and only accessible if a member signed in? Such a structure would make the discussions more private with the dirty laundry less visible.

The dirtly laundry is only interesting for a few people. And these can just create a DL and not post. Nobody will know. -> doesn't change anything.

This is entirely unfair though, for multiple reasons. First, there was no explicit mention from the moderators that the PDMA rules were being relaxed, and that our performance in the thread would be used as some kind of metric to determine future policy. This relaxation was done in secret, with absolutely no coordination with the members whatsoever.

First you complain that the rules are too strict.
Then the rules get loosened, without you knowing. You still complain that the rules are too strict.
When you get to know that the rules were actually not that strict, you begin to complain that nobody told you.
As a result of the relaxed rules, the thread, which is meant to advocate honest, open and civilized discussions about a major forum issue, gets drowned in the opposite, you again complain that it's unfair to judge you on that behaviour. Although the opposite is true. While you still thought you'd get punished for what you say, you didn't hesitate to do so. This is for sure a measurement for the behaviour which could appear when you'd think you't not get punished for it.

This doesn't give an overall impression that you'd really be honest about your intentions.

Secondly, you're only relaxing PDMA in an ad hoc fashion when dissent rises to such an incredibly high level that there's no other outlet than to have a full and honest discussion.

...er...it'd be way easier just to ban everyone. Having the discussion here is actually the more complicated way.

I don't think the mods understand this - PDMA happens constantly. In our IRC networks, and on associated forums offsite, we can and will discuss moderator behavior as much as we want. So it can either happen in a setting over which you have no control, or ability to defend yourself, or in one where you can. You cannot stop PDMA. You can stop it on CFC, but you can't stop it 100%. All the mods do by banning it here is plug their ears and pretend people aren't talking about them. :p

The rules are there to have civility in the forum. Not elsewhere. Nobody should think that these rules can control the world o_O.

This is more or less what it boils down to. What you have with #nes is an IRC channel where effectively 80-85% of all of the people who post and participate regularly in NESes are online at some point or another every week. Many are on everyday. For something comparable to happen in OT you'd have to have a good 30-40 people being regularly logged into #fiftychat rather than what you do have which is 10-15, with about half of those being former OTers who long since quit posting. The results are stark. In OT I may see a poster say something everyday, and I may form an opinion about them based on what I see. There are people I like, whose opinions I tend to agree with, and people I dislike whose opinions tend to irritate me. But at the end of the day I don't know these people. They are faces in the crowd to me. With #nes are people whom I talk to everyday. We share stories, we talk about our days, we open up, talk about our personal lives. We revel in each other's ups and we commiserate in each other's downs. I've known some of these people for 5 years now, and I would consider them to be among my closest friends, in real life or online. So yeah, I would say that it's something different than what you get in OT.

The other side of it is the profile of a typical NESer. I know the joke is to describe OTers as intellectuals, and it's a joke precisely because it's inaccurate. OT is a wide assortment of characters ranging wildly in age and level of education. From 13 year olds who are just starting high school, to high school smartasses, to collegiate freedom fighters to hardworking professionals to parents to cynical retirees. The NESer profile is much more focused. Male, mostly aged 20-27. Highly educated with many in or seeking postgraduate education, most with a strong background in humanities disciplines. They like to think of themselves as emotionally matured and with a strong sense of morality and ethics. They've worked hard to get where they are, whether that be in terms of their profession, their education, or their hobby. They want to be approached and treated by staff as adults, not as petulant children who need their toys taken away, as OT is treated. This is the reason BJ was considered a popular and well-liked mod. He was a member of the community who understood the thought process and internal dynamics of the NESing community. His reaction to bad behavior was not to burn everything to the ground immediately, but to approach the wrongdoer person-to-person and come to an understanding. NESers largely see themselves as being above infraction. Not in a haughty, anti-establishment sense, but rather in the same way as a parent wouldn't ground their 25-year old child. They've matured beyond that stage. This is a community; close friends who have known and worked with each other for years, a decade in some cases, not a loose collective of mostly-strangers. They know where the line is drawn and are loathe to cross it unless they feel it necessary to do so, and so honestly the best way for a mod to behave in NES is to understand this. Attacks or infractible offenses largely aren't the random line-pushing "for the lulz" that you get in OT, but rather a measured action with a logic performed to achieve a specific end. A NESing mod should recognize this and try to come to a more complete understanding of what is going on, rather than barging in and throwing down infractions left right and center, as might happen in OT.

Owen, I think this may be the best analysis/interpretation of both the problem with the way that Mods see #nes and the logic of Neser's (and presumably IOTer's) actions. This breaks down the issues perfectly.

Then the rules get loosened, without you knowing. You still complain that the rules are too strict.
When you get to know that the rules were actually not that strict, you begin to complain that nobody told you.
As a result of the relaxed rules, the thread, which is meant to advocate honest, open and civilized discussions about a major forum issue, gets drowned in the opposite, you again complain that it's unfair to judge you on that behaviour. Although the opposite is true. While you still thought you'd get punished for what you say, you didn't hesitate to do so. This is for sure a measurement for the behaviour which could appear when you'd think you't not get punished for it.

This doesn't give an overall impression that you'd really be honest about your intentions.

I'm not going to cut too hard into your logic here, since it seems a little...rambling. It also presupposes that I'm some kind of malevolent agent of chaos who gets his kicks from taking moderators down a peg. (I'm not.) But the real problem you fail to address is that if the rules can't be fairly applied at all times, they shouldn't be rules.

Bootstoots has been extremely forthcoming in giving us data about his actions and history as a moderator, and that is extremely mature and respectful of him. But technically speaking, he should infract himself, because he just carried out PDMA in talking about his own actions. Isn't that patently ridiculous? I'd like to know if you think Bootstoots should infract himself or not. If you don't think he should, then you, too, are opposed to the PDMA rule!

Secondly, I don't think the discussion has been anything but civilized from the vast majority of individuals. We haven't had to have any posts deleted, there hasn't been any spam, and I haven't seen any serious trolling either. There have been no bans assessed. If this is your standard for anarchy and chaos, you must be a relatively buttoned up individual. :p

Attacks or infractible offenses largely aren't the random line-pushing "for the lulz" that you get in OT, but rather a measured action with a logic performed to achieve a specific end. A NESing mod should recognize this and try to come to a more complete understanding of what is going on, rather than barging in and throwing down infractions left right and center, as might happen in OT.
Some infractions in OT occur because the member hits "submit" before thinking things through. Sometimes they occur because the member feels there is no other way to express whatever outrage that person may feel toward something that he/she perceives as offensive. I've never done it "for the lulz" (I assume that means "for fun").

Any mod should try to understand what is going on, instead of reaching automatically for the infraction menu and deciding how many points to dish out. Sure, some infractions are obvious. But many others aren't, and the situation can be resolved more amicably and with longer-ranging beneficial consequences if the moderator were to use some patience and work with the poster(s) instead of at them.

This leads me to think of mediation. Has there been any more discussion about that in staff? I know it was briefly discussed by some of us in Site Feedback last year and I'm curious to see how much progress has been made in that.

The dirtly laundry is only interesting for a few people. And these can just create a DL and not post. Nobody will know. -> doesn't change anything.

Well, that sums it up, doesn't it? Some people on this forum think other people on this forum are inherently dishonest. Charged, tried, and judged even before they've said a word. :rolleyes:

...er...it'd be way easier just to ban everyone. Having the discussion here is actually the more complicated way.
Yep, the easiest way is always the best way. That's what fosters positive attitudes. NOT! :huh:

If something is worth doing at all, it's worth doing well. That sometimes means complicated. But I have to ask this: What is so complicated about treating people with respect?

Moderators help Thunderfall, true. But ultimately they serve the forum members. That means treating Thunderfall's guests with respect and not coming to "work" with a bad attitude held over from one's offline life. At least that's how I see it.

The rules are there to have civility in the forum. Not elsewhere. Nobody should think that these rules can control the world o_O.
Exactly. One site's rules don't control the world, but they can sure get around the world via electronic word-of-mouth. When I have problems with how a site is run or managed, do you think I'm inclined to recommend that site to other people with similar interests? Of course not.

Between Owen and Boots we have a pretty good assessment of where all this came from. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that reply - it certainly helps me to understand the mindset of the NES community and how it differs from OT. It more or less confirms my broader impressions about how they differ but adds a lot of detail I wouldn’t have known about.

I can easily understand some of the problems that I’ve seen voiced about the rules. Leaving aside PDMA for now, they are geared to deal with immature “lulz” behavior like trolling and spam, and I see how enforcing them against the NES community in the same way as they are on the rest of the site comes across as condescending. I’ll take a bit of a detour and talk about rules I’ve seen complained about in both OT and NES.

Probably the most obvious example is the site-wide prohibition of profanity. Although I’m all in favor of forcing people to behave civilly and avoid insults towards each other, banning people from using certain common words seems over the top to me. I don’t know of many people of any age demographic who are offended by swear words, although some parents dislike the idea of their kids hearing them. In an attempt to keep the site “family friendly”, we have a rule against swearing that would seem childish to most teenagers, let alone anyone older.

At the same time it’s a very “objective” rule to enforce: if someone says a word on the autocensor list, it’s a minor infraction or warning and the word is snipped as if to protect sensitive eyes. On the other hand, it’s a lot harder to get infracted for a racist post if the poster puts in a minimum amount of effort to avoid actually naming the target race through dog-whistle terms. I infract racism and other bigotry whenever it’s obvious enough to make the infraction stick, but it’s frustrating as a moderator to have to let thinly-disguised bigotry go while infracting impolite and/or profane replies.

Regarding NES, I see very little evidence for moderator interference in any of the game threads other than to enforce inclusivity. Obviously I am an outsider and there could be quite a bit I don’t know about, but as it is I can’t see much basis for complaint about moderation in any of the threads having to do with the games themselves. As for the old WWW thread, it was functioning like a mini-OT with the same sorts of flamewars. The demographics may have been somewhat different, but the behavior was the same, and it’s hard to see that it should have been moderated any differently than OT when it got out of hand in August. BSmith did try to stay away from moderating that thread as much as he could, but was eventually forced to intervene.

This is around the time a PDMA thread would have been most helpful. People could have asked questions and lodged complaints during the initial disturbance in August and the staff could have replied before the pressure built to the point that people were resigning and leaving the site, and constructive dialogue may have been possible. It also might not have been - for instance, Amon’s opinions would still have been allowed because, in the opinion of most of the staff members, he was not advocating terrorist violence but rather saying that defensive violence against government actions can be legitimate. This is allowable - otherwise, we’d have to disallow a range of other opinions (e.g. revolutionary communism) for also containing theoretical support for violence under some circumstances, and OT would be a less interesting place. If this was an issue worth leaving the site over, people may still have left. Still, any explosion would likely have been less severe.

I do need to say that although I personally support some sort of relatively strictly-moderated PDMA thread, a staff consensus has not been reached yet and might not be. Changing the rules is very difficult around here, as I’m sure you’re all aware. People who find the CFC ruleset completely intolerable and have somewhere they would rather go (be it The Frontier or anywhere else) might prefer to leave, and I for one would certainly respect that even though we would obviously all prefer that everyone stay.

I have been informed that Thlayli has been banned. On what grounds was the ban for?

It's hard not to read this action as deliberate silencing of criticism on spurious grounds, and that certain mods have been looking to reprimand Thlayli for his outspokenness...

I have been informed that Thlayli has been banned. On what grounds was the ban for?

It's hard not to read this action as deliberate silencing of criticism on spurious grounds, and that certain mods have been looking to reprimand Thlayli for his outspokenness...
Moderator Action: This is probably not a good post to make, even in a thread discussing PDMA.

To refresh everyone's memory, bans generally occur in two ways. The first way is when a moderator thinks that a poster has flagrantly crossed a line and posted material that sufficiently outside what is allowed; the moderator might ban the poster for 1 or more days. The second way is when a posters accumulates 8 or more points, a ban automatically kicks in for a week. Such bans are for an ongoing series of infractions that might be very different, but that all happened within a relatively short time period.

I am prepared to make a deal with the mods . . . I will abstain from the PD half of PDMA if they will abstain from the MA half.

You are generous to a fault JR.
EDIT: Hmmm...Does that mean you are going to stop posting in discussion threads? What would you do here then? PM everyone?

It also helps that, without naming any specific names, there are certain posters that caused issues in the past that aren't around any more.

I've long since abandoned Civ Fanatics because I found the attitude of some staff members very insulting, but I am going to drop my two-cents here due to requests from others.

Personally, I am very much supportive of public display of dirty laundry if necessity demands it. While it's not any of my business, it does help curtail abuses. Cop cameras are around for a reason and many American cops cried a river over it. In many ways, that's not very different to all that whining from some volunteer moderators here.

If you ask me, I think all that crap about incivility from enabling PDMA is just an excuse. Control is what's at stake, even if this is just a tiny slice of the cyberspace.

I don't exactly know what went on between the OP and the moderating team, but there have been many reports of bad behaviour or judgment calls by moderators where private diplomatic channels proved useless.

Of course, you'll be happy to say we are all wrong and that everything's perfectly deserved, which is why we are now calling for PDMA to be allowed so that we can see who's bsing.

One thing I notice about moderators here is that some are very negative and vindictive (i.e. uncivil) when it comes to critiques against their policies and decision but then they say PDMA is banned because of "civility issues".

I think the deeper problem we have is that some of the moderators are simply unable to handle disagreement without souring the experience or forcefully silencing the dissenting parties with gag orders or sanctions.

In addition, I strongly suspect authority comes into play because every mistake a moderator makes will reflect poorly on him and affect his credibility when dealing with others. And given the level of competence I observed from some, I will not be surprised if there are legit complaints filed against them on a regular basis if PDMA is allowed.

After all, nobody likes to be criticized even if the criticism is deserved.

Yes, thanks for doing such a big favour. It's also an extraordinary effort for our cops not to arrest everyone. our bank tellers to enter the right numbers, and our caterers not to spit on our food too (presumably). That's very nice of them as well.

@ywhtptgtfo: Thanks for your comments. Do me a favor and please stick around for the next few days.

Top Bottom