Remind me about atrocities?

magic9mushroom

Chieftain
Okay, so I remember from way back that minor atrocities get you sanctions, major atrocities (i.e. Planet Busters) make Planet hate you and all the AIs declare war on you, and there's a secret third, in-between category of atrocities that the game doesn't tell you about that permanently escalate the length of the sanctions per atrocity and once you've performed 20 of them any further "moderate" atrocities count as major.

However, all the sources I can find on this point to a thread on CivGaming which appears to have vanished into the aether.

So:

1) Which acts are minor atrocities, and which are moderate? I recall that using Nerve Gas when attacking a city is moderate; what else?

2) Which atrocities (minor, moderate or major) are negated by repealing the UN charter? I ask because I once used a Planet Buster after repealing the UN charter and all the AIs still declared war on me.

3) I know that minor atrocities committed against aliens or by aliens are irrelevant (except aliens nerve stapling, which causes energy grid shutdown); what about the other two categories?

If you have the name of the thread on CivGaming, I might be able to find it. Also, I think that @Buster's Uncle archived CivGaming before it disappeared. He might be able to help.

Civgaming.net (CGN, for short) is parked, which means that someone (probably buster) still owns the domain name. I couldn't find it on the Wayback Machine (see here) even shortly after it disappeared. What may have happened is that buster applied a robots.txt to CGN. Doing so would have caused 403 Forbidden errors on all archived pages, and that's what we now see when trying to access CGN on the Wayback Machine. See here for more information.

Anyway, it now seems fruitless to try to recover CGN. I think that atrocities were discussed in detail on Apolyton.net. I'll look there and let you know what (if anything) I find.

I found this, which appears to be a log of someone's edits to the help file (who, I dunno).

It says that nerve stapling and nerve gas (not on a city) are minor, gene warfare, gassing a base and obliterating a base are moderate (it uses the term "simple"), and Planet Busters and the 20th moderate are major.

I've heard that nerve-stapling a captured base is also moderate, though - I've seen posts where people tested it and eventually started getting Major Atrocity penalties.

That file is part of GooglyBoogly's Comprehensive Datalinks Update, which can be found stickied at the top of this forum.

I couldn't find more recent information, but I seem to recall discussions at CGN about Nerve Gas that superseded the above.

Top Bottom