Replay #4 Slow and steady wins the race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like to chime in here as well to say that I'm following your fascinating game with keen interest, but I don't post because I don't really have anything of value to add to the conversation -- other than the occassional "Wow!" or "Cool!" or "Holy Mother, that's some seriously crazy s--t!" etc.

By the way, as a counter to cbucks above, I think you write great english. Even when you express yourself incorrectly your point comes through and your style is both eminently readable and grammatically intriguing -- so don't stop!

I wasnt trying to hate on the guy at all. I think his English is very good, better than most native speakers (especially writing). The lose vs. Loose thing is just a pet peeve of mine and just wanted to point it out for him going forward. I enjoy his write-ups as well, even if it is huge marathon :p

I'm sorry, i know English is probably not your first language, but this is killing me.

Lose= not winning. "the horse archer is going to lose that fight".

Loose = the opposite of tight. "your mother is very loose".

You don't have to be sry, as I'm always interessted in learning to articulate myself right, in my mother language german aswell as in foreign languages like english, so I'm thankful for this :)

Somehow reminds me of Replay #3, where someone told me that I often make mistakes with "its" and "it's" , which have two totally different meanings. I still struggle with those two too, just noticed the error in my last post, guess it'll take some time to re-learn what I already had learned in the english advanced course I had in school, although I always had a terrible orthography... But I'm older now, and have no interest on killing you further ;)

I'd just like to chime in here as well to say that I'm following your fascinating game with keen interest, but I don't post because I don't really have anything of value to add to the conversation -- other than the occassional "Wow!" or "Cool!" or "Holy Mother, that's some seriously crazy s--t!" etc.

By the way, as a counter to cbucks above, I think you write great english. Even when you express yourself incorrectly your point comes through and your style is both eminently readable and grammatically intriguing -- so don't stop!

TY :) "Gramatically intriguing" sounds interesting, I guess the English one learns in school or during vacations must sound quite funny to native speakers :>

Still writing on the next part of the Writeup. As expected, this takes almost the same time than having played that insane round, but it's good and makes fun though it often is a lot of work, but like that, I can re-think the decisions I made, train my memory, and execute my decisions faster in the next round, if they're somehow similar to the ones I've made in this round.

A friend of mine said about having lost a Deity game yesterday ", on this lvl of difficulty, you cannot play anymore, you just have to function" , and I think he's right with that. Anyhow, I cannot let it be since the last time I beat that lvl, Civ 4 Deity diffuclty is without dought the greatest challenge I've have had in my life, besides the 1st major exam in my studies maybe. I write this for the people trying to beat a higher difficulty than that one, which they normally play, everything is possible with slow play, enough thought and good guides.

I just played a turnset on a succession game I'm in on another forum. I played it so much slower than usual and analyzed every decision I made. It's in the REX phase, and a food poor map, so I agonized over city placement. It's too early for diplomacy to be a factor, but I felt like I did better with the workers, the builds, and the city placement than I would have done without reading this and Replay 3. :) It's Monarch, standard size, normal speed, so very different than yours, but there are still lessons that transfer over. :)

590 BC: Viccy has researched Nationalism. Luckily enough though, she doesn't have Marble, so it's not going to be likely that she'll construct the TM with lightspeed (I've seen AIs sometimes producing the TM in 10-15 turns) . I'm going to have a close look on her and everyone getting Nationalism from her by checking the "sabotage production" values of the cities (a great trick I learned on this website. 1 Hammer takes about 10 Espionage Points to be sabotaged, so if someone reaches values of some thousand EPs and has Nationalism, I'll know that that Civ is trying to construct the TM and I'll also know how far the Civ is away from it) .

1 :hammers: for 10 :espionage can be off.

The real formula to know exactly the quantity of :hammers: invested in the build (and production as well by substracting the last turn total hammers to the present turn's total hammers) :

<:Hammers: in present build> = <sabotage the build> * ( (<Their espionage> +100) / ( <Investigation of the city> * 3).

Credit: DanF5771 and T-Hawk.

580 BC: Pericles liberates his overseas colonies, Justinian is chosen as a leader for those:

If you are curious on how a colony leader is chosen, then you must know this is not as random you may think.
Real historical links and same geographical settlements are main factors.

For example, SB would probably spawn an american leader.

Still dubious but someone anonymous said he saw this pattern in XML files. And a certain Victoria game from AZ popped Gilg...so I'm dubious.

This bonus is not set back once one changes civics to something else, one always get's it back on the same value at which one has left it, once one switches civics again (difficult for me to spell this out as english isn't my mother language, but as an example, this bonus will grow to +2 during this phase,

True. And fyi it takes 10 turns for each added additional modifiers on whatever gamespeed.

Same turn, I get to know the value of a GM, and it's 4000 Gold atm.

Which city did you estimate it? ToA belonging to Hatshe. Kaitzilla said there was a trick to know the value on each city in the world (given known and seen on map) wihout moving the GMerchant. Wished I could remember how.

Ok, I saw this:
ToA city is not always the best, neither are overseas cities, one really has to test the largest coastal cities. ) I can easily create another GM using Caste, this one will help upgrade my elite WCs to Cuirrassiers, giving me 4000 Gold!

----

I gift Viccy some Gold to get her to pleased again, she's still in WHEOOHRN mode. I beg her for her World map, she agrees and drops out of WHOOHRN!!!

Nice. That's the kind of gold luck I like to see. Because an AI dropped war prep is completely out of target control, AI or human unless we bribe someone onto her. She can drop warprep even without peace treaty, but once we see her approaching, then we beg and the SoD goes back...all sad. Anyways, it lengthen the possibility of dropping a war.
The factors that turns the decision making for a WHEEON is internal factor of empire development vs attacking unit rate. So, maximizing her city growth with happy resources or health resources is a way to maximize war prep dropping.

Credit: DanF5771. More detail info, ask him or me.

-------------------

Try to cut off ivory sources, war elephants are the only danger along pikes against cuirassiers.

-----------------

For those who whines (if there were some) about big sized images that forces people to scroll rightwise, hold CTRL+mouse wheel and resize. Otherwise, Seraiel, just put images in spoiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 :hammers: for 10 :espionage can be off.

The real formula to know exactly the quantity of :hammers: invested in the build (and production as well by substracting the last turn total hammers to the present turn's total hammers) :

<:Hammers: in present build> = <sabotage the build> * ( (<Their espionage> +100) / ( <Investigation of the city> * 3).

Credit: DanF5771 and T-Hawk.

That is hugely interesting. I ask myself though, how you get the "Their espionage" value, is this what's shown in % so if they're at 110% i. e. , it's 1.1?

If you are curious on how a colony leader is chosen, then you must know this is not as random you may think.
Real historical links and same geographical settlements are main factors.

For example, SB would probably spawn an american leader.

Still dubious but someone anonymous said he saw this pattern in XML files. And a certain Victoria game from AZ popped Gilg...so I'm dubious.

I remember having read a thread about the leaders not being chosen randomly. Someone was asking himself why he always get's certain leaders with certain Civs or something like that. Was of little interest to me though, as one has no influence on it, and I rarely liberate my overseas colonies because those could all be cities getting Sushi. I don't care about anonymous posts, some people just want to stay in the dark, don't want to register, whatever, reasons for anything can be versatile, and regarding AZ, I think I watched only 2 of his videos, one was the one where he played Incans and in the other one he was playing Tokugawa. Learned the begging trick from him, but it was you, who lead me to "the beggars guide" and especially "DanF's XML-Files, which gave me 100 times more info and improved my game a lot more. Maybe I should watch some more of his videos, but I'm just not such a video oriented type, reading in Forums is just a lot more fun.

True. And fyi it takes 10 turns for each added additional modifiers on whatever gamespeed.

I suspected something like this already, but it's always good to get confirmation. Do you know if the turns are saved? Like if you run Caste for 15 turns, then for 5 turns, do you get +2?

Which city did you estimate it? ToA belonging to Hatshe. Kaitzilla said there was a trick to know the value on each city in the world (given known and seen on map) wihout moving the GMerchant. Wished I could remember how.

Don't understand that question. ToA was constructed by Hatty, that's true, but the city wasn't big enough or too near or no coastal city, therefor, bad. City giving the most benefit is the one having the best TRs, maybe just look up the capitals TRs? Top TR was Washington, the city I also estimated by trying out all of them, maybe this is the Trick Kaitzilla had been talking about.

How do you make the red circles and rectangles on your screenshots?

1) Printscreen
2) Paste into Paint
3) make red fat rectangles with paint.
4) save as jpg not bmp extension to for file size.

100 points for Tachy :) :D

Cya, Sera

Nice. That's the kind of gold luck I like to see. Because an AI dropped war prep is completely out of target control, AI or human unless we bribe someone onto her. She can drop warprep even without peace treaty, but once we see her approaching, then we beg and the SoD goes back...all sad. Anyways, it lengthen the possibility of dropping a war.
The factors that turns the decision making for a WHEEON is internal factor of empire development vs attacking unit rate. So, maximizing her city growth with happy resources or health resources is a way to maximize war prep dropping.

Credit: DanF5771. More detail info, ask him or me.

Wait. Are you saying that "gifting :health: and :) ressources can make an AI drop out of WHOOHRN? This (again) is a very interesting thing I did not know, plz confirm.

Try to cut off ivory sources, war elephants are the only danger along pikes against cuirassiers.

About whom do you say that, Viccy or Hatty? Imo neither Pikes nor WEs are a problem for Cuirrassiers, that one unit is simply totally OP for it's era.

For those who whines (if there were some) about big sized images that forces people to scroll rightwise, hold CTRL+mouse wheel and resize. Otherwise, Seraiel, just put images in spoiler.

Omg, the pictures again? :D Those have already been resized to fit small 17' screens, how much would people complain if I took them in 1920x1200? :D (Dirk already whined about it in Replay #1 or 2, so I changed it already, can't believe that users might still have a 15' screen. )

That is hugely interesting. I ask myself though, how you get the "Their espionage" value, is this what's shown in % so if they're at 110% i. e. , it's 1.1?

Take the raw espionage value, not percentage or 1.1. Hover your cursor a leader name and you will see how much espionage points they invested towards you.

I remember having read a thread about the leaders not being chosen randomly. Someone was asking himself why he always get's certain leaders with certain Civs or something like that. Was of little interest to me though, as one has no influence on it, and I rarely liberate my overseas colonies because those could all be cities getting Sushi. I don't care about anonymous posts, some people just want to stay in the dark, don't want to register, whatever, reasons for anything can be versatile, and regarding AZ, I think I watched only 2 of his videos, one was the one where he played Incans and in the other one he was playing Tokugawa. Learned the begging trick from him, but it was you, who lead me to "the beggars guide" and especially "DanF's XML-Files, which gave me 100 times more info and improved my game a lot more. Maybe I should watch some more of his videos, but I'm just not such a video oriented type, reading in Forums is just a lot more fun.

Anonymous meant to me someone who is not known to liberate lots on info.
Coanda, Ahcos, UncleJJ, PieceOfMind, DanF5771, VoiceOfUnreason, Lymond, TMIT, Rolo_r1, Lord_Parking, etc (because my mind blows) are prime examples. There are many more.

But sometimes, a random registered guy gets juicy info and proved ones.

Yes, it is not important for your game, but knowing who will appears as a colony is huge for combined diplo stances. Yes, in some cases, having a colony helps as you abuses their difficulty level bonuses. AZ did that to get someone to help him to tech while abusing deity bonuses. He was isolated, so having a partner helps.

And AZ refuses to listen to me at all. Since he likes worker stealing even on deity, I let him a trick that should help him to reduce randomness to get in return rushed, but in the next vids, he nevaa used it and sometimes, it was really risky.
Worker stealing on deity is mighty dangerous.

I suspected something like this already, but it's always good to get confirmation. Do you know if the turns are saved? Like if you run Caste for 15 turns, then for 5 turns, do you get +2?

Turns are saved. No decay as far as I know. But resource sharing diplo bonuses decay once stopping to provide resources. Yes, if you are 15 turns on Caste System, you'll need another 5 turns for +2 plusmod.
BTW, I supposed +10 per additional modifier because the scaling effect is so botched, normal speed or marathon, in diplo, it takes the same time.
For instance, 60 turns for peace additional modifier, normal speed or not.

Don't understand that question. ToA was constructed by Hatty, that's true, but the city wasn't big enough or too near or no coastal city, therefor, bad. City giving the most benefit is the one having the best TRs, maybe just look up the capitals TRs? Top TR was Washington, the city I also estimated by trying out all of them, maybe this is the Trick Kaitzilla had been talking about.

No question. Was adding stuff to post while reading and I realized you knew your stuff. Yes, top trade routes is the main factor, but without city screen, hard to judge. Kaitzilla's trick was to use "Go to" to each city and then he was able to see the gold value exactly. But I was never able to do it as I can't choose "Go To" and "Trade mission" at the same time. Unless perhaps he does it with a GMerchant with aleady used moves and target a city. I dunno anyways.

Darn. I was hoping there was an in-game shortcut like with dot maps. :lol:

There is an IG feature, zoom out and use the "show strategy layer" button to draw lines. You have to have a very calm hand for that one though and you need nice drawing skills, and it's definately more complicated / not as fancy as using paint ^^ .

Wait. Are you saying that "gifting :health: and :) ressources can make an AI drop out of WHOOHRN? This (again) is a very interesting thing I did not know, plz confirm.
Yes, because it eases them to raise the population. Unfortunately, I just can't find the original post (as always).
But here's a consolation prize: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=286180&page=8.
His best article about war.

About whom do you say that, Viccy or Hatty? Imo neither Pikes nor WEs are a problem for Cuirrassiers, that one unit is simply totally OP for it's era.

Hatshy.
I know that but reducing further those units reduces casualties.

Omg, the pictures again? :D Those have already been resized to fit small 17' screens, how much would people complain if I took them in 1920x1200? :D (Dirk already whined about it in Replay #1 or 2, so I changed it already, can't believe that users might still have a 15' screen. )

You have to believe then. I downgraded mine when my first big screen died for no reason. But I see no problem as CTRL+mouse wheel is an easy solution. But I know there are whiners comme toujours.

Don't change. In fact, putting them in spoiler just ease the task.
Open spoiler, look at the image, then close the spoiler and easy read.

Don't change, I don't mind how it is presented. I never mind that kind of stuff.

Take the raw espionage value, not percentage or 1.1. Hover your cursor a leader name and you will see how much espionage points they invested towards you.

Wow, I finally know what "Ratio with Player" means... Why couldn't they just write "Espionage" in front of it, Ratio could be anything. More interesting question, I think either BUG or BULL shows this in the espionage Screen (the EP AI has invested into the player aswell as the EP AI invests into the player per turn) , why can't BUFFY show that... Guess it's somehow stupidity again, that's why i'm not interessted in the answer, it's the same question why hidden diplo modifiers don't get shown in BUFFY, would make absolutely no difference, because dedicated HoF players know them by heart anyway, it's not like any valuable info would be given away making a bad player a good one.

Anonymous meant to me someone who is not known to liberate lots on info.
Coanda, Ahcos, UncleJJ, PieceOfMind, DanF5771, VoiceOfUnreason, Lymond, TMIT, Rolo_r1, Lord_Parking, etc (because my mind blows) are prime examples. There are many more.

But sometimes, a random registered guy gets juicy info and proved ones.

I'm really having a hard time to understand your english. The people you mention, liberate lots of info imho, still no idea what you mean with anonymous. And what does this have to do with someone else getting juicy info and proved ones, I absolutely don't get what you're talking about, maybe write me a PN to not derail the thread too much?

Yes, it is not important for your game, but knowing who will appears as a colony is huge for combined diplo stances. Yes, in some cases, having a colony helps as you abuses their difficulty level bonuses. AZ did that to get someone to help him to tech while abusing deity bonuses. He was isolated, so having a partner helps.

And AZ refuses to listen to me at all. Since he likes worker stealing even on deity, I let him a trick that should help him to reduce randomness to get in return rushed, but in the next vids, he nevaa used it and sometimes, it was really risky.
Worker stealing on deity is mighty dangerous.

Noticed that about worker-stealing already, I've screwed up at least 10 or 20 beautiful starts before playing this round, and in it, I didn't steal any workers (as you know), because the start was to beautiful to go any risk at all. Only way I know to successfully worker-steal on Deity is be lucky and get the great Mediator event. Yesterday I noticed something funny, I stole a Worker and after that instantly lost my Warrior, 1 turn later, I got the "xxx have shown mercy for" event, one which one should only be getting when winning the war, does your trick lie somewhere there? :)

No question. Was adding stuff to post while reading and I realized you knew your stuff. Yes, top trade routes is the main factor, but without city screen, hard to judge. Kaitzilla's trick was to use "Go to" to each city and then he was able to see the gold value exactly. But I was never able to do it as I can't choose "Go To" and "Trade mission" at the same time. Unless perhaps he does it with a GMerchant with aleady used moves and target a city. I dunno anyways.

Have you tried to press "Shift" to not let the unit command the "Go-To" command? You know, just consecutive orders, hold Shift, send to city, TradeMission pops up, look at value, cancel orders, try on next city.

Regards, Sera

I'm really having a hard time to understand your english. The people you mention, liberate lots of info imho, still no idea what you mean with anonymous. And what does this have to do with someone else getting juicy info and proved ones, I absolutely don't get what you're talking about, maybe write me a PN to not derail the thread too much?

Je suis français, ne l'oublie pas! :p

Hey, it was you who wanted more posts. Then, here I give more posts or spam, whatever.
In my random mind, anonymous = random guy I will never see again.

Have you tried to press "Shift" to not let the unit command the "Go-To" command? You know, just consecutive orders, hold Shift, send to city, TradeMission pops up, look at value, cancel orders, try on next city.

Regards, Sera

Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow.

Je suis français, ne l'oublie pas! :p

Hey, it was you who wanted more posts. Then, here I give more posts or spam, whatever.
In my random mind, anonymous = random guy I will never see again.

Without using the dictionary, I think you're saying to me, that I should not forget that you're french :)

And "random" I understand, that's a term that's used in MMORPGs for everyone not belonging to an SG (solid group) . There are exceptions to the rule, i. e. one eldritch wasn't random because he simply played better than all others, so people remembered his name / said "he's no random" . Random was always a very negative term for people not playing well, i. e. one could say, all French are randoms :p

Don't worry, think of the exceptions to the rule Tachywaxon

Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow.

Np :)

360 BC, Asoka vassalizes to Viccy, not that she wasn't strong enough already. Her having a vassal greatly increases her chances to DoW someone (and she can also DoW at pleased) . I think about signing a Defensive Pact with Hammurabi, the perfect Candidate because Viccy is too far away from him to see any need for a war and WK being scared from his power, but I don't, because Peter is still on the map and she hates him a lot more than me and WK cannot DoW at pleased.

You probably already know this, but just for clarifications and for the sake of some viewers -- any leader can DoW (declare war) at any diplomatic stance.

2 things for you:

You can see where his iron is and pillage the road to it, unless he founded a city on it. Click "display yields" and there will be a field giving an unusual amount of yields, i. e. a plains-hill giving 6 :hammers: . Then you know where the iron is. If he get's it through trade, you can see that in the diplomacy tab, try to negotiate an embargo. If the game is already advanced, you can also pillage the ressource he gets with spies, or you can pillage what he trades for it, both cancels the deal :)

And concerning your rush with War Chariots on Deity: Taking 4 cities with 15 War Chariots isn't too bad, you say you even had some left and lost them to spears later, so I assume you had about 3 losses at each city, that's ok. The important lesson for you to learn is, to conquer someone still having Forrests, so you can chop / whip reinforcements from the newly conquered cities. I don't know if that became clear in my Writeup, but from the 12 War Chariots I had against Ghandi in the beginning (or 20 against Tokugawa) there also weren't any left after conquering 4-5 cities, it's really important to keep building troops, losses are inevitable in a war.

Sera

Wow nice trick! Thanks, will bear that in mind :)
Yeah, I had around 6 left when taking the cities and my two main cities were popping out 3 chariots every 4/5 turns without chopping. (Normal by the way, not Marathon). Yes, thanks, I'll bear the chopping in new cities for next time. :) Really enjoying your write up by the way, it's helping me quite a bit for my struggling monarch games :goodjob:

Excellent reading. I pick up all kinds of data reading. Somewhere you mentioned grammar concerning "its" versus "it's." I always remember this as: unless your cousin It on the Addams Family it's "its."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom