1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[vanilla] Research Agreements (vanilla)

Research Agreements

1. vexing

vexing knows

vexing submitted a new resource:

Research Agreements - Research Agreements

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  2. tommynt

tommynt Chieftain

its a good post but still demonstrates how brokken and dumb civ sp is.

goal is not to beat ai but to shift medians best for you.
    Its just dumb, as long as AI is horrible and is NOT playing to win (see Dilpo win f.e.) every human with a brain and love to civ should play multiplayer - where he got opponents to beat not get freewin shifted

3. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Chieftain

Not all of us have the free time or the proper time zone to play MP. I'd add that some MP players are subject to "cookbook" strategies that are as predictable as the AI.

4. ense7en

ense7en n7

Thank you very much for explaining this in depth!
    It's one of the things i didn't understand the math behind, but hopefully will after reading through the OP :D

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: Nice to know your opinion, but not relevant to the Civ5 War Academy forum. Please limit comments to asking questions about the article or discussing Research Agreement strategy.

6. Thresian

Thresian Chieftain

Is there a bug or something with the time RAs complete? I'm currently playing a game on epic duration (Earth map, immortal difficulty, if it matters), and the RAs state that they last for 45 turns. But for a while they were completing in 40 turns, which somewhat messed with my medians. Then after a certain point (industrial era?) they completed after 45 turns.

7. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

It shouldn't be. Always been 25 turns for quick, 30 for standard, 45 for epic and 90 for marathon for me(well i never played marathon duh).

8. JDR

JDR Chieftain

In your example, if I had researched Compass for a couple of turns, would that lessen the value received?

Oh, and nice article.

9. vexing

vexing knows

no. you receive the full value of the tech in beakers, not how much you have remaining.

10. Mesix

Mesix Sweet Alex

Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise at abusing the RA mechanic to its maximum benefit.

11. JDR

JDR Chieftain

Thanks

12. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Chieftain

Thanks for explaining the additional costs of signing an RA with a civ that is technologically behind. Is the AI constrained to prioritize Gold and then, if necessary, to make up any remaining balance with strategic resources? Does a resource-starved AI have the option of requesting some Gold and needed resources?

13. vexing

vexing knows

it follows the standard AI trading algorithm. my memory may be incorrect on this, but i think they will initially request open borders if available, and then gold for any excess (eg open borders + 50 gold). that might only apply to friendly civs. they'll request strategics to make up the difference if you don't have enough gold available. they are never smart about requesting things they need, eg they'll happily take aluminum even if they're still in the medieval era.

regardless of what they request you can put stuff in the window, and say what will make this work, and if it's at or above to the value they desire and close they'll say "that'll work," or if it's slightly below the value they'll add however much gold needed to meet their min value expectation. eg if you put in two strategics they'll request 10 more gold. if it's not close the algorithm will find whatever combination of things will work that it can.

as a bonus, you can get full value for gpt or strategics for any partner above hostile specifically for this excess gold. this means while they may only be willing to give you 40 gold for two strategics outright, they'll still accept two stategics + 10 gold instead of 100 gold. this is an effective way to "trade" with guarded civs. the value of open borders doesn't fall under this rule

14. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Chieftain

Thanks for the clarification, vexing.

15. tommynt

tommynt Chieftain

Dont think your early teching plan is optimal.

teched both CS and Theo to 1 turn to go before rushing for education.

this is from GOTM24 (OCC turn 216 win)

and I m very sure that this is the way to go - your posted plan let some of the early agreements end before both PT and rationalism is up.

what you should do is tech CS and theo to 1 turn before finish and start RAs with like 20-25 turn to tech for education. while teching education build hagia and prebuilt oracle (oracle to make sure to get rationalism right when u bulb astro).

edit well reread your posts - maybe you try do something same - but u act like u d RA education what u definatle should not

16. Raven-sb

Raven-sb Chieftain

Thank you for posting this. I'm not very good at strategy games but I love the Civ series. This article helps me understand the Research Agreement game mechanic. The time you spent putting this together is appreciated.

17. Gimasag3

Gimasag3 Chieftain

ugh. This made my head hurt ;)

18. avdale

avdale Chieftain

A question about this. Lets say I had 4 RA's all resolve themselves on the same turn. Is the median value for the beaker counted calculated at the start of the turn and all 4 RA's receive that amount or is the median calculated for the first RA, beakers are applied to your tech progress, median for the next RA is calculated, beakers are applied, etc.

Also is the two techs per turn outdated? I recently had a situation where 4 RA's resolved themselves on 1 turn and I popped Banking, Acoustics, Engineering and Physics all on the same turn iirc.

19. vexing

vexing knows

i double checked on the two techs per turn, and it is incorrect: you can get techs equal to the number of RAs signed + 1. i will adjust the article accordingly

20. James T

James T Chieftain

This article is great! I would love to see a video with commentary that takes you through the concepts and shows the planning, timing, etc. Not a full-on "LP", but more like a brief video tutorial. My brain gets fuzzy as I try to mentally map the commentary to the screen shots.