Researchable PM-based history quiz

I haven't had a single response to this quiz. What should I do if I don't get one by tomorrow night?

sydhe said:
I haven't had a single response to this quiz. What should I do if I don't get one by tomorrow night?

It's summer - people are busy (drinking and making love). Extend the deadline, maybe Monday or Tuesday?

sydhe said:
I apologize, but quite simply I have had completely different things on my mind recently, I just barely managed to keep my promise to my friend Ciceronian to submit on his quiz as well (5 minutes before the time limit :lol: ).
Give me time until tomorrow afternoon, and I will send a non-research set of answers - I know how annoying it is to have put down a lot of work and not getting any rewards.
And of course my excellent friend, old dog and compatriot trooper is right, this is not the prime season for history quizes...

Okay. Let's extend the deadline to Wednesday. I'll post the answers around 11:59 p.m.

Corection: the dates in question #3 should be December 14, 1962, July 14, 1965, and March 29, 1974,

Nobody submitted an answer and the quiz is now void.

Very annoying! I'm sorry - I was actually in the middle of putting together some answers today, but unfortunately real life overtook me (I'm starting at a new university right now, so horribly busy - I wouldn't be able to post a quiz of my own right now, but I wanted to have a go at this one anyway). I had great fun finding out about the Pig Wars though!

Send me what you have. I haven't posted the answers yet.

Plotinus has 11 points. Anyone want to try to let him off the hook before I post the answers?

Okay, I'm having an attack of insomnia, so let's put the quiz to rest.
1) Between 1815 and 1914 there were three conflicts called “Pig Wars”, none of which actually involved a death, except for the pigs. They took place in 1841, 1859 and 1906. Name the countries involved in each. (1 point per country, six total)

Plotinus got all six, so I'll give his answer:

(1) 1841 – the Pig War between Texas and France (what a potential punch-up!). This was all to do with the Comte de Saligny, the French Charge d’Affaires in Austin. Because Austin was still being built, he had to live in quarters owned by Richard Bullock. Bullock was a bluff frontiersman from Tennessee, and Saligny was an effete Frenchman. They hated each other. It came to a head when Bullock’s pigs started destroying Saligny’s garden: Saligny ordered his men to kill the pigs. Bullock was not happy and whipped Saligny’s servant. The French complained, and Saligny left Texas, which meant that Texas and France had no diplomatic relations. This lasted for a year. No fighting ever occurred, of course, and the pigs remained local celebrities for the rest of their unnaturally long lives.

1859 – the War of Griffin’s Pig. This was really about Britain and the United States disputing ownership of the San Juan Islands near Vancouver. Lyman Cutler, an American settler, shot a pig that he claimed was trespassing on his land: it belonged to Charles Griffin, a British Hudson’s Bay Company agent. He offered Griffin $10 for the pig, but Griffin said it was a prize breeder and demanded $100. The British and Americans both sent large forces to the area, but no fighting actually took place (apart from the shooting of the unfortunate pig in the first place, of course).

1906 – the Pig War between Serbia and Austria. This is the least interesting of the pig wars, because it was just about trade, and also it wasn’t a war at all. Serbia exported vast amounts of livestock to Austria at this point, but in 1906 Austria clamped down on Serbian imports. Serbia therefore started trading with everyone else, including Germany, which was happy to buy cut-price Serbian pigs. Austria was highly annoyed: its attempt to curb Serbian power had made Austria look like an ineffectual bully.
2) What is “an artist of stealing in”? (1 points)

Nijutsu is literally “the art of stealing in”, and a practitioner thereof is a ninja.

3) Recent history: what do the dates December 14, 1962, July 14, 1965, and March 29, 1974 have in common? (2 points)

They are dates at which a space probe visited a planet for the first time. Respectively, they are the dates Mariner 2 visited Venus, Mariner 4 visited Mars and Mariner 10 visited Mercury.

4) Where would you find Erdil, Eflak, Bugdan, Bucak and Silistre? (2 points)

They are former Ottoman Turkish names for various regions in Romania. Specifically, Erdil = Transylvania, Eflak=Wallachia, Bugdan and Bucak = Moldavia, and Silestre is part of Dobruja. Bugdan and Bucak overlap into Moldova and Ukraine, so I would have given partial credit for those answers.

5) It’s rather obvious what is happening in this picture. One of the people is pretty well known. Who was he, what is best known for, and what city did this take place in.? (3 points)

This picture shows the lynching of Deacon Jim Miller’s gang in Ada, Oklahoma on April 19, 1909. Deacon Jim Miller is best known as the probable killer of Pat Garrett. Jim Miller was a hired killer who was notorious for getting off with help from the cattle barons, so 40 citizens of Ada decided to perform a public service. Note the little boy in the opening to the lower left. He was still alive a few years ago and may still be as far as I know.

6) Who is the author of the following passage, and what place is he describing:
“Beasts and birds there are none, because they find nothing to eat. But I assure you, that one thing is found here, and that a very strange one, which I will relate to you.
“The truth is this: When a man is riding by night through this desert and something happens that to make him loiter and lose touch with his companions, by dropping asleep or for some other reason, and afterwards he wants to rejoin them, then he hears spirits talking in such a way that they seem to be his companions. Sometimes, indeed, they even hail him by name. Often these voices make him stray from the path, so that he never finds them again. And in this way, many travelers have been lost and have perished.” (2 points)

Marco Polo, describing the Lop Nor Desert. (Daniel Boorstin says Gobi Desert, so I would have accepted that as well; Lop Nor is more accurate.)

7) What war was allegedly started by a complaint about snoring hippopotamuses? (2 points)

The war of liberation of Egypt from the Hyksos. The insult was delivered from the Hyksos Pharaoh Apopi to Pharaoh Tao II of Thebes. Apopi supposedly claimed that the snoring of the sacred hippopotamuses was keeping him awake at night. The resulting war cost the lives of Pharaohs Tao II and Kamose before Ahmose I conquered Avaris and reunited Egypt.

8) This country had to wait twice within a twelve year period to see if its new ruler would be born. Which county was it, and what years did it happen? (2 points)

France. In 1316, Louis X died, leaving behind a pregnant wife. The wife eventually gave birth to John I, who died five days later. In 1328, Louis’s brother, Charles IV died, again leaving behind a pregnant wife. This time, the child was a girl, and under the Salic Law, Philip of Valois became king Philip VI.

9) Which ruler is referred to as the second of his name, when the first ruled 15 centuries earlier over another country in the same area of the world? (1 points)

Sargon II of Assyria. Sargon I was Sargon of Akkad.

10) Here are four rather famous gentlemen. Who are they, what do they all have in common, and who was most recent person I could have included and kept the same theme? (1/2 pt. per photo, and 1 each for other questions.)

Prince Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent (Queen Victoria’s father)

Edward VIII
(Named when he was Prince of Wales)

Lord Kitchener, and this gentleman:

also seen here:

were all Knights of St. Patrick, the Irish equivalent of the Knights of the Garter and the Knights of the Thistle. The last Knight of St. Patrick was Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, the brother of Edward VIII and George VI, and Governor-General of Australia from 1944 to 1947. He died in 1974, and although Queen Elizabeth is still nominally the head of the order, no Knight of St. Patrick has been named since 1934.

Here's a more famous picture of Lord Kitchener:

Plotinus is up.

hey what's happened to this thread? if no one else will go (i think Plotinus is up) i'd be willing to post a quiz.

alright here's my quiz. you can use any form of research to find the answers. so here goes and Good Luck!!:

#1: Match the American war hero to their place of glory or death. 1 point each.

War Heroes
Davy Crocket
Andrew Jackson
Benedict Arnold (before he turned traitor)

Battles
The Alamo
Battle of New Orleans
Battle of Quebec

#2: Why is Colorado called the "Centennial State?

#3: Who was the first Christian King of Hungary?

#4: What ship sunk at Pearl Harbor was never raised and still lies below water?

#5: What year did the 6-day war take place in?

#6: Name 5 countires on a European World War 2 map that remained netural throughout the war. 1 point each.

#7: Where did Alexander the Great die?

#8: Which Crusader King of Jerusalem had leprsy?

#9: In Upstate New York, USA there is a ruined British fort called Crown Point. The British built the fort after taking the area over from the French. What was the name of the fort the French had in the area before the British took over?

#10: What were slaves called in the Ancient Greek city-state of Sparta?

There they are. 16 points in all. Deadline is Wednesday the 24th at noon my time.

Top Bottom