Researchable PM-based history quiz

There is something on the man's sleeve. Could it be the third person's portrait?

Hope it's OK I that I join. I'm not a regular poster, though I have lurked for some time. Since I've discovered this part of the forum I was hooked. I instantly recognised a few pictures so I gathered it was time to join. I just pmed my answers....

Roi de Cinq said:
Hope it's OK I that I join. I'm not a regular poster, though I have lurked for some time. Since I've discovered this part of the forum I was hooked I just pmed my answers....
Coooooool!!!! :cool: Welcome :hatsoff:

Alright, we have a very interesting game here...
Several submissions later, bed_head7 is still in the lead. But can he keep it?

bed_head7 10
Roi de Cinq 7
Oryctolagus 6
Rambuchan 5

Doc's right about #7 - the third portrait is very hard to see in my picture. It can be seen much more clearly in the two he submitted though.
It's clearly a great question Adso and I'm clearly never going to get anything to do with right at all.
I disagree. It's rather unfair to anyone who's not acquainted with the painting, really. Hopefully it's a bit easier now that the third portait is visible...
I shall give a hint. Yes, that'll do it.
The clothes the man is wearing in the picture are nothing like the clothes he actually wore.

And I like your new signature, Rambuchan!

Hmmm.. I still puzzled by the pictures. I'll have to take another look at it later...

I was wondering if perhaps one of the people in the picture represented two people at once - eg the bust is of (say) Plato but the artist painted it to resemble himself. Or something. Presumably this is wrong if there is in fact a third portrait in the picture, though I must admit I still don't see it! I hope to get a chance to enter later today... Don't know how well I will do, though!

Wooh, I think I have it. Though not because I found a third portrait. It is possible to find the solution with all the other info. (at least if my answer is right)

Yeah, the easiest way is to identify the painter. Several people have gotten it, by now. Though nobody's gotten #2 or #8 yet.
With some more submissions by the same people, the scores are as follows:
Roi de Cinq 11
bed_head7 10
Oryctolagus 10
Rambuchan 5

I'm confused. I got everything but #2 and #8, you said no one had gotten those right, but I am now in second place?

bed_head7 said:
I'm confused. I got everything but #2 and #8, you said no one had gotten those right, but I am now in second place?

Well,
me said:
Twelve points possible, though, like Plotinus, I'll award extra points for answers of ingenious originality.
Plotinus said:
I'll award extra to answers that give extra information (no more than a couple of extra per answer, before everyone starts submitting essays!).

Roi de Cinq managed to tell me some things I hadn't known about my own questions.
That being said, the game is still very close.

Oops, forgot about that. Well, I guess this means I'll need to figure out exactly what that duck thing is.

Well, it's been a rather underwhelming finish, with no more submissions. The final score was as follows:
Roi de Cinq 11
bed_head7 10
Oryctolagus 10
Rambuchan 5

Newcomer Roi de Cinq wins it by a nose.

Here are your answers:

1. Name a Kushan monk who was instrumental in the transmission of Buddhism to China.
I accepted Lokaksema, Dharmaraksa, Zhi Yao, Zhi Qian, Zhi Yueh. Check them out on Wikipedia if you're that curious.

2. Who is this person? And who painted this person?
It is Christina of Denmark, as painted by one of my favorite artists, Hans Holbein the Younger. Henry VIII sent Holbein around Europe to paint portraits of candidates for his fourth wife, and Christina of Denmark was one of the finalists. (Anne of Kleve won, of course.) Her comment was "I wouldn't marry him if I had two necks."

3. Which Turkish sultan drowned his entire harem in the Bosporus?
Ibrahim I “the Mad”. Waste of a harem, if you ask me.

4. For what purpose did Haydn’s wife use his music manuscripts?
Not a big fan of her husband's work, Anna Maria Haydn used it as hair curlers.

5. Which famous singer used to sing Philip V of Spain to sleep every night?
Farinelli (Carlo Broschi), one of the most famous castrati. The king liked it better than a bedtime story.

6. Where was the birthplace of the first bishop of Axum?
St Frumentius, of Tyre, began the tradition of having foreigners for bishops in Ethiopia.

7. Who painted this? What three great men are depicted in it?
Rembrandt van Rijn received a commission to paint a philosopher. Being the clever fellow that he was, he included both Aristotle and Homer. He also included Aristotle's most famous pupil, Alexander the Great, on the medallion Aristotle's wearing.

8. What culture produced this artifact?
Unfortunately nobody was acquainted with Pre-Colombian Peruvian pottery. This stirrup-handled vessel was made by the Moche people. The ingenious handle was designed to eliminate water waste through evaporation.

9. These three images are all related to a famous person. Who is he?
Sigmund Freud. James Joyce (pic. 1) had a daughter who was a patient of Freud's. Freud, famously, was addicted to cocaine for a while. And the third is a famous picture of Oedipus (of complex fame).

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Oh crap, I though we extented the deadline?
I was about to submit tonight...
Ah...
Sorry about that. I hadn't received any answers for two days, so I assumed I'd gotten all the submissions I would get. There's always the next quiz, I suppose.

I won? Oops, I didn't count on that. It means I'll have to create a quiz. I'll try to free some time tomorrow to do that.. It's too late to do it now..

Here it finally is. I didn't think it was so hard to create a quiz that is not easily googled. I'm not sure about the difficulty, so I might adjust some things. If it is too easy, the first with all answers wins. If it is too hard, I might give some clues. I'll have to add an apology for the fact it might be a bit eurocentric, but I'm not really comfortable with other things. I just don't know enough of them to come up with a decent question.

No more small-talk.. here it goes...

1: What have the following people in common?

2: What does (Jeremiah 52:28-30) have to do with Pope Benedict XII?

3: We all know Helen as the wife of Menelaus. You could call her the reason Troy was destroyed. The story was(and is) an inspiration for many writers. In the early 20th century a man wrote a poem about her, though he had his own Helen. Who was his 'Helen'?

4: Who wanted a seventeen sided 'rectangle' inscribed on his grave?

5: Who wrote a book stating that the right thing to do is to follow the standard that would make the most people happy? (not the exact words, but otherwise it would be too easy)

6: Who painted this? What part of the painting is special and why?

7: What is the piece of paper on the picture? This is a hard one, so I'll add another picture later on.

8: What have Freddy Mercury(of the band Queen), Homi J. Bhabha(physicist) and Dadabhai Naoroji(politician in the UK and India) in common?

9: Which culture has produced this artifact?

10: Which George was king of an island smaller than Madagascar?

/edit: some typo's snuck in while copy-pasting. And I had some trouble with the attachments. It should be fixed now.

Top Bottom