Resources on isles

Mordachai

Warlord
Why not allow these to be connected if they're inside your cultural influence and have a road? Maybe some minimum level of sea trade tech - something early on.

It's always driven me nuts if you have a city with a 1 or 2 slot isle in its radius, you cannot ever "get" any resources from the isle because they're "not connected"

They should be! Or... why not?

----

Unrelated: what is required to allow sacrificing population to finish projects? I've had slavery civic forever, and no city, no project, allows it... so must be more to it now?

AFAIK you only need a road to connect a tile, even when it's a one tile island.
Sacrificing population has been disabled because it's considered cheating since AI doesn't know how to use it.
It can be reactivated with an easy XML change but I don't remember the file right now.

Putting down roads doesn't work, unfortunately. Picture a city on the coast, with an isle 1 square away, with say an Iron on that isle. Once the city has normal influence size (2r), then that isle is inside of the radius. You can see it in the city manager, you can ship workers over to develop the resource (build a mine), but you wont' get iron - even if you build a road on it (until sea tunnels).

This seems unfortunate to me, and I wonder if there is a way to change the game logic - or add a tile improvement - a "dock" - which acts as a way to connect isles to everything else (would count as if you had a city on the isle for connection purposes). Would need to stack with the mine, since you won't normally have space for an extra separate thing...

I'll check again! lol - the game I just posted under bug reports - as Carthage, playing on the map you helped mod for AND2 - huge earth - I've got wine on Sardinia that doesn't add to the national total - can't trade it, etc. Shows me with 2 - which are both from other locations and were at 2 long before I upgraded Sardinia. I've got the pre-trade-on-ocean techs, the trade on coasts. Not good 'nuff?

I'd have to check closely once this happens again, but I often recall situations like this popping up, where I can't "access" a resource because it's on a 1 or 2 tile island. Build the improvement, but it says "Requires Route" in the former, and just doesn't show up at all in the latter. Maybe building a Fort on them would work?

It might. I don't have that tech in my current game - but I did start another and I can confirm that it never adds the isle resources, even with roads. At least - not yet. Maybe "trade accross ocean" is needed? If so, that seems too late, but I'll pop back in if that's the case.

In plain BTS you need something on the isle to connect to the trade network, one of: a city, a river and a fort. I think it still works like that in ROM AND.

Usually a one plot island with a resource need a route and fort to get the resource on the island available in your empire. This means that if the island is in the work area of a city you need to either build a fort to get the resource or build the improvement to get the yield.

The only way I figured how to get an improvement on a one plot island to also provide the resource is to make special improvements that can only be built on one plot islands that "act as a city" like a fort but this then causes other problems and slows turns down since the only way to tell if a plot is a one plot island is to check that there is water in all the plots around it.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14010192 said:
AFAIK forts already work like this in AND, i.e. you get the resource if you build a fort on it.

Yes, but DH pointed to the fact, that you get either the resource with the Fort or the :food: :hammers: :commerce: bonus with Farm/Mine/Plantation/etc improvement. Sometimes it can be a very hard choice.

Indeed. Seems to me that you ought to get both - just like it was any other tile in your city radius. But if this was easily overcome, chances are somebody would have modded it in already. :p

Top Bottom