Votes: 6 13.6%
  • War Elephant

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Three-Man Chariot

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Knight

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
I'm puzzled by this thread, though. When I hit the "vote now" button, I was sent to a different thread and when I click "view results," I get this:
Spoiler :

Am I the only one with this issue?

Same thing happened to me - and to the same thread.

Of those I'd have to say Cavalry and Cossacks. Their 3 movement makes it much more difficult to defend against them, and you almost always have to face at least Cavalry. And as Chieftess mentioned, your defenders aren't that great in that time period, so you'll take some losses. Even in the early Industrial Age they can be a pain as they can really make an effective blitz once railroads are in place - they're much better at getting across border regions than tanks, and can still take out Riflemen.

Now if I'm going on the offensive, the defensive unit that always makes me reconsider is the Spearman! :spear:

It depends on the timeline.

Later on in the game when infantry are available, legionary aren't that tough.

But early on in the game when they get them (which is pretty early) legionary are almost impossible to deal with, as are hoplite.

I agree with this one. Those legionaries stall any advance early on.

What about hoplites and numidian mercs? Especially the latter, they all have a great defense, better than any unit available at that time, and equal to most iron age units, except for immortals. And even worse, if the attack fail, the mercs will likely be promoted and they can attempt a counterattack at your injuried units just like an archer. Of the availabe units, I picked infantry, but in fact, I fear rifles even more. Against infantries I can send arties, and still they will be hard for my cavs. But against rifles, I can only send cavalries and kiss my girls goodbye. Yeah, they're female cavalries :D

What about hoplites and numidian mercs? Especially the latter, they all have a great defense, better than any unit available at that time, and equal to most iron age units, except for immortals. And even worse, if the attack fail, the mercs will likely be promoted and they can attempt a counterattack at your injuried units just like an archer. Of the availabe units, I picked infantry, but in fact, I fear rifles even more. Against infantries I can send arties, and still they will be hard for my cavs. But against rifles, I can only send cavalries and kiss my girls goodbye. Yeah, they're female cavalries :D

Ok, ok, I made this thread in a hurry, next time I will remember to do more.

Against infantries I can send arties, and still they will be hard for my cavs. But against rifles, I can only send cavalries and kiss my girls goodbye. Yeah, they're female cavalries :D

In armies (and along with arty) Cavs are usefull up to Mech Infantry. No units has an equally long time of being usefull.

In armies (and along with arty) Cavs are usefull up to Mech Infantry. No units has an equally long time of being usefull.

Legionaries. You get 'em early & can use them as long as you use cavs, for defenders.

I don't fear any units per se. But I get a nasty taste in my mouth when I see riflemensch; they cause trouble out of proportion to their size. And that taste is doubled when I see infantry & haven't gotten tanks & tank armies yet. I go to great lengths not to help the AI down the replaceable parts branch of the tech tree for just that reason.

If the game lasts long enough, TOW inf & mech inf can cause the same problem, but I usually can get modern armor pretty quickly when seeing these & in any case generally have a bomber fleet on call. It's definitely the riflemensch & ordinary infantry that cause the most pain.

kk

Cavalry, Cossacks, and Berserkers.

None of the above... I fear...

Bombers, berserks, marines (on archipelago maps... say on Sid), and *conquistadores* (for a pangea map really) most.

Marines, they aren't usually a threat to me. They might though now. I have modded my game to add a stronger, Modern Marine. Same time as the Modern Patrooper. Oh, the patroopers are now offensive units.

Cavalry. They usually come when I only have Musketmen. Lack of Artillery makes it very difficult to slow them down.

I do not fear Modern Armor, because by that time I have rails for easy response and can destroy roads/rails that would allow them full movement into my territory. Bombers and Artillery take care of the rest.

Marines, they aren't usually a threat to me. They might though now. I have modded my game to add a stronger, Modern Marine. Same time as the Modern Patrooper. Oh, the patroopers are now offensive units.

Patroopers are very underrated in the unmodded game:cry:

Patroopers are very underrated in the unmodded game:cry:

What are you talking about, what idiot would send a bunch of paratroopers to enemy territory if they use their weapons for defense.

Well I see where he is going. But once you get synthetic fibers they are kind of useless. That is why i have modded my game.

Argentyx said:
Patroopers are very underrated in the unmodded game

You seem serious here, are you? I haven't a clue when a paratropper would actually come out as useful. Dead honest on this one really. I can't seem to remember anyone getting Advanced Flight even ever in one of my games... even space race games... save the histographic game I played. If you're serious, what do you use them for? Dropping in and pillaging territory?

You seem serious here, are you? I haven't a clue when a paratropper would actually come out as useful. Dead honest on this one really. I can't seem to remember anyone getting Advanced Flight even ever in one of my games... even space race games... save the histographic game I played. If you're serious, what do you use them for? Dropping in and pillaging territory?

Bombing a city, dropping them, bombing it more, then finish off the redlined infantry.
Or pillaging, yes.

Imeant that they were not very useful in the actual game.

Paratroopers are something even the AI knows better than to use. The fact that they have only 1 movement point, and they use it in the paradrop is flat out stupid. They also can't capture an empty city via paradrop. They are expensive and require an optional tech. Probably the worst designed unit in the game. If modded to have 2 movement, they could be useful to me.

I don't think they can still move after a paradrop. Civ3 is based off of real life, so the turn is taken up by transportation to the drop area, the actual drop, and regrouping after landing.

Maybe realistic, maybe not, but then the unit is functionally of limited use, which means I'll not waste the shields on building it. Infantry has better defense, marines have better attack, and to research Advanced Flight, you can build helicopters to deliver them. Even then, bombers and Cavalry do a better job and are more flexible.

Top Bottom