1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Return of the Shadow: The War of the Ring

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Lord Malbeth, Jun 12, 2009.

1. nick0515

nick0515 Dad, Librarian, Writer & GNU/Linux User

Looking forward to any tweaks. It's a nice Mod even without tweaks though.

2. Beornhard

Beornhard Chieftain

It's a shame that we have such great Tolkien based mods for Civ III, but none for Civ IV. :(

3. nick0515

That's a problem easily solved. Don't play Civ 4. Civ 3 is a superior game in many ways anyway.

4. Bowsling

Bowsling Chieftain

Don't forget to name Minas Morgul back to Minas Ilith;)

5. jlvfr

jlvfr Chieftain

Just downloaded this and so far so good. Am enjoying playing as Rohan (got a soft spot for them) and it's hard. Isengard above, Mordor on the right... and someone wiped Gondor... :(

A question: I can't seem to find settlers. Is this on purpose? No settlers in the game?

6. jlvfr

jlvfr Chieftain

Ok, just been crushed playing Rohan :( so started the Gondor map and... help!!:eek:

A few points:
    -Gondor's cities are allways rebelling! I have 2 cities (the capital +1) that I can manage to keep at lvl 6, all others are at either 2 or even 1. When they go above that, rebellion breaks out and I have to give them entertainers, which drops the population back to 2 or 1... I've managed so far (buy buying it...) to build one theatre in the capital but that's it... what's causing all these rebellions?...
    -Gondor's military is too low quality. The Guardians of the citadel should be stronger in both defence and ofence (3att -4def maybe); as they are, they are no better than goblins. Same for the Cavalry. And the number of starting units should be higher. These people have lived door-to-door with Mordor for centuries, and yet in the map they can barelly fill up guarrison positions...
    -the "dead Men" are too weak; these things turned the tide of the battle. They should have an attack of 6 or 7; to compensate, make them come out only every 15 or 20 turns.
    -is it just me, or are city improvements too slow to build?...

7. Di di Mao

Di di Mao Chieftain

Looks like a well prepared Mod. I can't seem to get it working on Mac. If anyone knows a trick or two. I have got other mods to work but this goes beyond my abilities.

Appreciate it.

8. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

Sorry for the late reply.

There have been some bugs with this on the Mac. I don't exactly know why/what it is. Are you playing the latest version?

9. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I was going to give this a shot, but I am not clear on the corrections. Was the changes put into the download on page one or is that the original?

The last thing I could find was a hard dirve issue. There was earlier talk of a patch, then a total replacement. So is there still an update coming, what is the last word? Thanks...

10. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

I believe the total replacement was executed, but, seeing as how my hard-drive died, I can't really remember. :p I'm nearly 99.99% sure though that a small patch was coming up.

11. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

The reason I was unsure is the date on the first page is June 13 for the last time edited. Then a mention was made of a patch, but not was posted. Finally a list of corrections was offered and were going to be included in a total replacement.

12. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

Ah, I see... Those small changes were nothing serious, but, luckily, I found the post and tweaked the mod. I'll post a new patch soon. :)

Attached Files:

13. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

Sorry for the double-post, but the patch has been uploaded!

14. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Great I got it, now to finish all the stuff I already have started. It should not take too long and now I have the fixes.

15. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

Awesome! Do tell if this works for you! :) I hope you enjoy it!

16. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Still plowing ahead on a few other front, while mixing in some RPG and other TBS games, but I will post, once I get there. I tend to get in about 12 hours a day of gaming, so I jump back and forth.

The one reward of getting old, is I have all day to do anything and very little I can do. At least as long as the boss lady does not retire as well.

17. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

So, has the patch been successful in making game-play better? :)

18. LSD

LSD Chieftain

I had a quick look at the biq files that come with the main download and found them to be unplayable.
    I have played using the Gondor patch and find that it works fine.
    I think the scenario is very well designed and implemented but i have a comment and an idea on how it can be improved even further:

1. The battle between Gondor and Mordor is tense and exciting stuff. But Rohan seems to overrun Saruman very quickly. This coupled with the tough Balrog in Moria ensures that the gap of Rohan becomes the only route for the ringbearer. In the book, Gandalf wanted to avoid this area because of the threat of Saruman.

2. With the scenario starting with the major protagonists at war, it seems a bit strange to have the ringbearer still in the Shire. I was thinking that it would be more accurate to start the ring near Rivendell and then the whole fellowship could be present. This advantage to Gondor could then be offset with a big increase in the power of Saruman and it would also be more faithful recreation of the choices and perils faced by the fellowship.

19. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Chieftain

Thanks! I really hope there isn't an error in the actual download, but if there is, hopefully the patch will fix it! Anyway, thanks for taking a look! :)

If you remember in the books, Rohan did indeed fall rather quickly to Saruman. Rohan was under-developed and rural, whereas Isengard was militaristic and industrial. Only with the help of the Ents did Rohan succeed; very nearly did the armies of Saruman march upon the Golden Hall. When playing as Rohan you have to focus on defense, build Rohirrim for hit-and-run attacks, move pikemen to strategic points. The AI probably aren't very good and working with this, so I might weaken Saruman when Gondor is Player One. I also think I will weaken the Balrog to fix the probably you are pointing out.

Good idea. I think I will move the ring to or near Rivendell, but I want to keep the Fellowship separate. As Quasidemo, the LOTR scenario God, once pointed out, it doesn't make much sense to have the Fellowship belong to one person, as Legolas, representing an army of bowmen, and Gimli, representing an army of Dwarfs, etc, turns the Fellowship into an army, and this is counter-intuitive. Thus, the fellowship is divided as to give each faction a military boost in face of the vastly superior Alliance of the Two Towers. :)

Thanks for the ideas! I hope you enjoy the rest of the scenario! :)

20. nick0515

Um Lord Malbeth I think you'll find he said that Rohan overruns Isengard not the other way around. Wasn't the experience I had though when I played Rohan and got womped by Isengard. Haven't had a chance to test out the patch yet but will soonish and let you know what I think.

Cheers

Nick