review 16:00 CET

RohirrimElf

Emperor
When the NDA lifts on 16:00 CET. Will this also mean that there will be a bunch of reviews? As some people might have had more then a week of playtime to write a review about civ 6?

When the NDA lifts on 16:00 CET. Will this also mean that there will be a bunch of reviews? As some people might have had more then a week of playtime to write a review about civ 6?

I don't think this is the press relesse, it's too early.

It bothers me actually. Normally you don't want to put efforts to make limited build a month before release. Revealing the details and just giving full prerelease build to reviewers would be better. I have some suspicions developers may be behind the schedule in some areas. Hope it's just leader animations for not revealed ones.

It bothers me actually. Normally you don't want to put efforts to make limited build a month before release. Revealing the details and just giving full prerelease build to reviewers would be better. I have some suspicions developers may be behind the schedule in some areas. Hope it's just leader animations for not revealed ones.

Why, I mean if they were really lagging behind it would make no sense to give youtubers this beta (or whatever), but rather cover the delay up and hope that the reviewers aren't able to uncover the flaws in the press release, much like CiV. I think it's a good sign of confidence that they do this.

Why, I mean if they were really lagging behind it would make no sense to give youtubers this beta (or whatever), but rather cover the delay up and hope that the reviewers aren't able to uncover the flaws in the press release, much like CiV. I think it's a good sign of confidence that they do this.

They have to. If they don't get press in prerelease month a lot of sales will be lost.

As Haggbart said, it's pretty much the opposite in my experience.

Usually devs only release prebuilds when they are REALLY confident that they have a good product, otherwise they only release the final build to the press with an NDA that last until the release day to prevent the press from scaring the people who preorder.

So far my feeling is that Firaxis are really confident on the game, as they have been allowing the press a lot of access.

Usually devs only release prebuilds when they are REALLY confident that they have a good product, otherwise they only release the final build to the press with an NDA that last until the release day to prevent the press from scaring the people who preorder.

For Firaxis it wasn't a question whether to show pre-release build or not. It's AAA game, not some indie. The question was - what's inside, And that makes me worried.

For Firaxis it wasn't a question whether to show pre-release build or not. It's AAA game, not some indie. The question was - what's inside, And that makes me worried.

Having in mind that games of the series Battlefield or Assassin's Creed had suffered review embargoes...

Point being if you are a studio and know that your game is trash you don't allow the press to talk about it until it's released.

Having in mind that games of the series Battlefield or Assassin's Creed had suffered review embargoes...

Point being if you are a studio and know that your game is trash you don't allow the press to talk about it until it's released.

I don't think it's trash. I just worry some things are behind the schedule.

I remember how it made me confident when pre-release letsplays showed up for Beyond Earth. The game looked amazing back then.
Sadly, it turned out to be a huge disappointment :(

I'll be more critical this time, and I'm surely not buying the game earlier than 1 day before release.

Considering the limited build Youtubers were playing before was to a good and stable quality, and all the youtubers i payed attention to loved it, i don't see why you guys are only now worrying that an embargo could RUIN THE GAME for you in some way.

Its been a while the game felt behind schedule to me. It will release as a beta as expected.

Optimistic as always Acken.

I would assume that is the normal state of affairs in game development. Why do you think "crunch time" is a thing?

I mean more than usual or more than developers expected :)

Why do you think? It looks quite well-thought out and polished to me?

Well thought out yes. But I didnt find it polished. What I have seen is a lot of incomplete previews pretty close to release. That doesnt leave a lot of time for polishing, ai coding and balancing.
Optimistic as always Acken.
Happy to remain consistant. In the end it doesnt really matter because ill play it regardless but Im expecting a messy game. Especially end game.

If it reassures you I wont be one of the dozens to make a whiny thread once the game os released. Im at peace with it if it comes to it.
I remember how it made me confident when pre-release letsplays showed up for Beyond Earth. The game looked amazing back then.
Sadly, it turned out to be a huge disappointment :(

I'll be more critical this time, and I'm surely not buying the game earlier than 1 day before release.
Beyond earth looked poorly made as soon as I saw the maddjinn livestream and lp.
A lot of that games problem were visible from the start.

Civ6 at least looks good. I just think it will release in a rough state.

I don't think it's trash. I just worry some things are behind the schedule.

I don't understand what there is to worry about. It's 3 weeks from release time, way to late to delay the release. Civ 6 will probably go gold in about a week or so.

I think Firaxis disabled Sumeria, Arabia and Russia to the Youtube testers because these civs hadn't been revealed yet. They probably wanted to avoid a situation like the one at Gamescom where the leader names were revealed ahead of time.

It's probably quite easy to disable a civ in the code.

Since the Youtube testers got their beta version Firaxis have revealed Sumeria and Arabia. So only one more civ to go and that is Russia. I'm 99.9% certain Russia is also finished. We've seen Peter shown in preview games made by Firaxis. Maybe Russia will be revealed today. If not he will be revealed next week.

We've got a sneak peek into most areas of Civ 6. The main area we know very little about is espionage. So maybe that is what they are working on right now.

I think a lot of questions will be answered in the stream of Youtube videos we will receive soon. The testers have been able to freely play the games to the very end. So if something is lacking we will hear about it.

I have a feeling the testing was timed well so Firaxis can get some feedback from the beta testers and have a week or so to fix minor issues reported by the testers. The testers will probably play the game a bit differently from the developers and maybe find exploits, weird bugs etc.

Regardless of that I don't think civ 6 will be 100% flawless at release date. So we will get patches. However, I believe the game to be very playable and fun with no show stopping bugs.

Top Bottom