Revising the lore of each civic

Last edited:
I would have called it 'Voluntary Compliance'. However since it has proven the equivalent of an insta-lose in the real world, it's probably not worth implementing.

Wow, I can't believe you're deliberately misinterpreting anarchism as you have. "Voluntary Compliance" is absolutely not how one should describe anarchism, it makes it sound as if there is a leader the people "voluntarily" comply to. Again, I said Mutual Aid, not Voluntary Compliance. I suggest you stop drawing the definition of anarchism from dictionaries or pop culture, and start to refer to actual anarchist thinkers.

This video works a good crash course on anarchism as an ideology:

Also, saying "it has proven the equivalent of an insta-lose", is another gross misinterpretation of anarchist societies, as there still exists several of them throughout the world, many of them in quite a thriving manner.

I am in favour of keeping the Anarchy Government civic as is. Apart from anything else, you draw a distinction between 'anarchy' and 'anarchism', so if you object to the game's definition of 'anarchy', you have yet to say so. We will clarify our understanding of the term as we use it (that is one important function of this 'revising the lore' process), but I hope we keep using the word 'anarchy' the way we are, which I maintain is supported by a semantic consensus, albeit a somewhat fuzzy one.

I never once drew a "distinction between 'anarchy' and 'anarchism'", you imagined that in your head. What I did, was to draw distinction between anarchy and anocracy, which I actually incorrectly described when I first used it. Anocracy basically describes the transition between two types of government where society is in a state of chaos and ineffectiveness.

In game terms it (perfect willing obedience to a ruler/master) is Despotism, even if there is no coercion. You yourself just pointed out that the presence or absence of coercion/enforcement is a Rule civic issue, irrelevant to the Government category.

Despotism does not mean obedience whether there is coercion or not, it basically just means to describe a society that is ruled by a leader exempt from its laws and constitutions. Historically, most monarchies can be classified as despotic, as the monarch was seen as either a literal deity or someone given permission to rule through a divine mandate.

So I actually suggest renaming Despotism to Despotic Monarchy, and Monarchy to Feudal Monarchy.

So I actually suggest renaming Despotism to Despotic Monarchy, and Monarchy to Feudal Monarchy.

Monarchy includes despotic monarchies and feudal monarchies. Despotism on the other hand represents the (non dynastic nor hereditary) absolute rule of an autocrat/dictator.

Historically most despotic states were military originated, where a general or warlord managed to get the state for himself through force.

Despotic monarchies were a real thing in the classical era (see Ptolemaic Dynasty) and maybe medieval era (see Byzantine Empire). But one can argue despotic and absolute monarchy are one and the same.

A case can be made for the Chinese dynasties or Tsarist Russia, as these ones maintained despotic/absolutist characteristics up until the early modern era.

Last edited:
Can there be a rationale for hereditary rule by a logic other than thinking that "God put the rightful prince into the womb of the king's wife" ? I mean, isn't there an inextinguishabl;e element of a religious ideology there?

So, if we want to have Monarchy as a civic, we must reckon with the fact that this civic is entailing some extent of a religious belief, a divine mandate. And then that is separate from the civic proposing that the vehicle of power is a unitary state, an autocrat, a king.

Can there be a rationale for hereditary rule by a logic other than thinking that "God put the rightful prince into the womb of the king's wife" ?
Sure - property rights. "The kingdom is the property of the king, and is heritable just like any other property." There ya go, a rationale for hereditary rule which does not (necessarily) depend on a religious impetus.

Note carefully: I'm not saying that this is the only possible non-religious justification for hereditary monarchy, just that this is one possible example... thus opening the the way for the possibility of other such justifications.

CGP Grey made some great videos about this subject, and why hereditary rule stabilizes a government:

The rules for rulers:

Death & Dynasties (Rules for Rulers Follow-up)

My point is that despotism and monarchy kind of overlap each other, and I wish that would be reflected in the civic options

thus opening the the way for the possibility of other such justifications.
Like the fact that a hereditary king is the prime example of a professional politician, trained from very early on. That's perhaps the most important reason why there are cases of extremely gifted monarchs (many of them being in the game as leaders). In a democracy everyone in politics is a layperson in a sense.

History sections are finished for all civics. That took a while. :crazyeye:

The updated modmod is attached in the thread starter. In the meantime I'll look for small errors that might have slipped, like wrong tags or grammar.

@Dancing Hoskuld you've expressed interest in reviewing this some time ago, if you have the time please take a look.

@HorseshoeHermit you've expressed concerns before towards certain lores. In the month or so since then I've shortened and re-revised a lot of them. I would like to read your opinion on them if you have the patience. :)

A week has (almost) passed and by the lack of criticism I suppose there aren't issues with this revision.

In that case tomorrow I will commit the changes, as always if something is found to be not right a revert can be done.

I love these revisions. Good work and thank you.

Then it should be fixed, so it shows for rest for civics, not just when building uses default civics as prereq.

Code:
bFirst = true;
if (NO_PLAYER != GC.getGameINLINE().getActivePlayer())
{
    if (!GET_PLAYER(GC.getGameINLINE().getActivePlayer()).isCivic(eCivic))
    {
        for (iI = 0; iI < GC.getNumBuildingClassInfos(); ++iI)
        {
            eLoopBuilding = (BuildingTypes)GC.getCivilizationInfo(GC.getGameINLINE().getActiveCivilizationType()).getCivilizationBuildings(iI);

if (eLoopBuilding != NO_BUILDING)
            {
                if (GC.getGameINLINE().canEverConstruct(eLoopBuilding))
                {
                    bool bObsolete = false;
                    CivicTypes eCurCivic = GET_PLAYER(GC.getGameINLINE().getActivePlayer()).getCivics((CivicOptionTypes)GC.getCivicInfo(eCivic).getCivicOptionType());
                    if (GC.getBuildingInfo(eLoopBuilding).isPrereqAndCivics(eCurCivic))
                    {
                        bObsolete = true;
                    }
                    else if (GC.getBuildingInfo(eLoopBuilding).isPrereqOrCivics(eCurCivic) && !GC.getBuildingInfo(eLoopBuilding).isPrereqOrCivics(eCivic))
                    {
                        bObsolete = true;
                        for (int iJ = 0; iJ < GC.getNumCivicInfos(); iJ++)
                        {
                            if (iJ != eCurCivic && iJ != eCivic)
                            {
                                if (GC.getBuildingInfo(eLoopBuilding).isPrereqOrCivics((CivicTypes)iJ))
                                {
                                    if (GET_PLAYER(GC.getGameINLINE().getActivePlayer()).isCivic((CivicTypes)iJ))
                                    {
                                        bObsolete = false;
                                        break;
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                    if (bObsolete)
                    {
                        CvWString szBuilding;
HERE -----------------> szFirstBuffer.Format(L"%s%s", NEWLINE, gDLL->getText("TXT_KEY_CIVIC_BLOCKS_BUILDING").c_str());
                        szBuilding.Format(L"<link=literal>%s</link>", GC.getBuildingInfo(eLoopBuilding).getDescription());
                        setListHelp(szHelpText, szFirstBuffer, szBuilding, L", ", bFirst);
                        bFirst = false;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

@Thunderbrd since now you are modding again you can fix this Disallows construction of.... text so it shows for all civics not just default ones.

@Thunderbrd since now you are modding again you can fix this Disallows construction of.... text so it shows for all civics not just default ones.
I will take a look. Pm me a link to that post pls.

Top Bottom