RevolutionDCM for BTS

Eh Phungus and Afforess
Wish you and Afforess all the best. Could be a cock up on my end if it is, sorry. I don't think the issue with AUA could be serious. There is one issue with RevDCM that isn't in LoR or AND. Revolutions autoplay is apparently broken. I've got just under four weeks before uni starts again, so I'll try to reverse engineer the latest RevDCM to the same standard that LoR/AND is at.
If you could look and just make sure you included all the source files, that would be nice. AUA works fine in the RevDCM available for download, but if you try to build a core with the source code provided, the above error occurs - also the gamecore built is a few kilobytes smaller then the one that comes downloaded. I think we're just missing an altered source file.

These are pretty dark times for the Civlization series I'd have to say. More than 18 months of trying to explain to people that the Civ5 concept does not work as it is and desperately needs modders to get in there and fix it, we now wait on broken promises from Firaxis time and time again and totally rely on the matured Civ4 mods to keep the Civilization dream alive.

Cheers

If Firaxis would just release the source code, I'd look at Civ5 and start working on something. But I'll be damned if I start working on hacky LUA mods. I want access to the damned objects themselves!

Hmmm the odd thing is that Mamba took my source files and built Diversica out of it and don't remember him complaining. I'll take a look. Anyway, enjoy life, you and the other modders have done a big service to Civfanatics by leaving them LoR!

Civ5 will be a great platform to mod with the multiprocessor support. Civ5 in single player is totally broken because of the impossible AI under 1UPT, and so I've been dabbling in Europa Universalis III and so has Jdog5000 I heard. The dream is to take the Civ5 platform, strip it down and start again using some of the best concepts from EUIII. Magna Mundi is coming out in the next couple of weeks and could well put Civ5 to shame in terms of depth of game play.

Enjoy it, buddy.

Just upload whatever you used to compile the last gamecore for RevDCM. Just zip it, and attach it here to a post. I'm sure there is just a missing file.

Eh Mamba happy new year.

OK Phungus my old RevDCM laptop still works after sitting in the garage for a year! The battery is dead and so is the plugpack and the screen is loose. Fixed that up and bingo. The old girl even logged me automatically back onto the SVN and recompiled the DLL without a complaint! Man, that is one loyal laptop. Attached are the 206 C++ and header files as per one year ago when RevDCM 290 was released. According to what I am seeing, the SVN is completely up to date if you need to use it.

Cheers

Eh Mamba happy new year.

OK Phungus my old RevDCM laptop still works after sitting in the garage for a year! The battery is dead and so is the plugpack and the screen is loose. Fixed that up and bingo. The old girl even logged me automatically back onto the SVN and recompiled the DLL without a complaint! Man, that is one loyal laptop. Attached are the 206 C++ and header files as per one year ago when RevDCM 290 was released. According to what I am seeing, the SVN is completely up to date if you need to use it.

Cheers
I already tried to build a gamecore from the SVN files, no dice, same issue. Like I said, you can build a gamecore fine, it just causes a python exception, and if you turn python exceptions off, the game loads but no unit actions are possible. And again, if you build a gamecore with these files it is a few KB smaller then the gamecore that comes in the RevDCM download. There has to be a file missing, no other explenation.

If you or afforess can't find the working files to build the current RevDCM 2.9 gamecore, I'll have to try to merge back in AUA line by line from afforess's stand alone AUA modcomp. That'll take hours or days, so I'd rather not do that since I know one of you succesfully built a working gamecore, since the download version works, so one of you must have all the working files. Anyway, thanks for going into the garage and looking. I'll hold off on trying a line by line merge for now and hold out hope either you or afforess find what's missing to save myself extra work, but if neither of you can find anything by tomorrow I just roll up my sleeves and do this the hard way.

And yeah, just tried it again. Copied the RevDCM mod and renamed it to RevDCMTest (changed the ModName.py file and created a valid UserSettings folder in My Documents path in a new RevDCMTest folder as needed). Rebuilt a new gamecore using these files, and also one from the SVN just for shts and giggles. Game loads up fine with no problems using the gamecore that comes with the download, but same problem if I use the freshly built gamecore using the SVN files, or those in the attachment - no unit actions possible or critical python exceptions (if Py exceptions are left on). So again, there has to be something missing in the source files.

Hmmm i can't remember getting that problems during my RevDCM merge with Unique Civics and some other civic modcomps. I'll load it up and check in afew mins as i know several of my test plays i just him enter as it was mainly to make sure the AI would use their UC.
When i get tme i should really finish my merge too :/

Thanks Habitus. Eh Kel happy new year. Sorry Phungus I was off air yesterday, only catching up the news now. Nothing has happened on RevDCM for so long I'm kinda a bit shocked for the activity. In about six hours time from this post, I'll see if I can fire up the old laptop and take a look in greater detail what is going on. I really don't want to hold you up for the sake of you being able to get into modding again.
Cheers

Phungi I tried to attach the makefile I used for the final build of RevDCM290 here but Civfanatics upload rejected it for some crazy reason even after zipping it. So I've uploaded it to the SVN and so you can grab it from there. I think the problem could be the makefile because I have memories that I used my old makefile format for RevDCM290. Not sure it's only a guess. At worst it will cost you 15 minutes to recompile. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Cheers

Hi guys,

Almost a year ago I "pestered" Glider allready with this.
For who want to read our little conversation it starts on page 173 of this thread.

I think it is the makefile as I also stated in the conversation then with Glider.

Not sure anymore but I pretty sure I used a makefile from this forum with that fastdepp stuff and then it worked, Still a kb difference (But less then the first not working builds) but the buttons were back.

Hope it helps you guys.

Now that I think about it, I think I used a different makefile as well (probably the UC one if it was included)

Well done Habitus for being able to compile RevDCM on your own! I totally realize that some people don't have the same skills as you and so we try to help them, but.....

Pestering does not work when you are dealing with volunteers like myself. It might work if the volunteer is fresh and enthusiastic, but after enough pestering the volunteer gets burnt out. The problem with Civfanatics is that there is no recognition system for volunteers. What happens is that a volunteer like myself will work for nothing for years at Civfanatics without recognition. My upload limit is still only 10MB and the other day the uploader complained about me wanting to upload the makefile!

But new users keep on coming into the system such as Civfanatics. They don't see the 1000's of hours of work that the volunteer have put into Civfanatics because the system doesn't show it. So the volunteer get's all these ungratefuls making request after request which is ok for the first year or two, but then starts to cause burn out. There are very few people on the internet that have enough insight and perceptiveness to see what the person is doing behind the scenes in the online community and how they may be feeling. At Civfanatics it is total anarchy. A long term responsible contributor like myself, has no officially recognised status on the system, and so new users come in and say what they like at the exact same status as a long term modder, developer or moderator. Now that is fine and "democratic", but it just causes burn out.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't pester. It's just that it comes down to a simple equation in an anarchical system like Civfanatics that appears to be an online democracy when it isn't. It's a simple equation. When does the pain exceed the gain when you are working for free? At the time of releasing RevDCM290, I was absolutely burnt out after years of modding and the equation went negative. The issue is even worse when the modder is not in the same time zone as the rest of the community (like myself).

Enjoy it, and sincerely best wishes to all the Civ community out there.

Anything which could be done motivation-wise?

You sometimes have to look around and check how well you're doing.
RevDCM has more than 18 000 downloads.
It's #22 in the total Civ4 modpack download statistics. It would be higher if there were not other mods before it, which are also using it.
"Revolution DCM" has mor than 1000 hits on CFC, there are more than 20 000 hits in the net, "RevDCM" more than 38 000 on CFC and another 2000 in the net.
You now have to say to yourself "I'm awesome". Your work has left a considerable mark in the Civ4 community. This work here is just great. That's it.

I am playing this mod for quite some time now, and, yes, I love it!
It's definitely the best mod out here, for me at least.
I also have one question:
I know that cities don't culture flip anymore, but that nationality heavily affects the stability in a city. That city either rebels or does not rebel against his leader, or the leader accepts the rebels terms to join 'your' empire: the leader allows the culture flip to your country. Then you get the message that they have been allowed to join your empire, and you can either take it or leave it (and another civilization will emerge). I believe it's okay when you say 'no' - the rebels form their own city state - but when I say 'yes' nothing happens, the city stays foreign property.
I've been looking around and somebody said you had to walk into that city with a military unit once you accept, I tried it, but it didn't work. Any idea what could be wrong, or is there something simple I am missing that I have to do after accepting the city to my empire?

I love this mod and would be thrilled to see development on it continue. That being said, I'd be almost as equally thrilled if someone could fix the AI Autoplay bug where it stops for Revolution events.
If you mean a national revolution, during which you are asked again about another national revolution within the curren national revolution: I have the same problem.
It's strange but doesn't really bother me though;)

Am I going crazy or has the Limited Religion option been removed from the latest RevDCM, v. 2.90? I cannot find the options for this anywhere. If it has been intentionally removed, any plans to add it back in?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. It is a standard game option now.

Top Bottom