1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC:Antiquity

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by kravixon, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kbk

kbk Prince

That would work too. After all, one of Alexander the Great's legacies was to usher in the Hellenistic era in basically the entire map you are considering. Well, that and amassing one of the largest empires ever known. Also, you could do the religion spread thing, and then require a certain number of cultural buildings (like amphitheaters) for a second or third UHV, you know after the obvious 1st UHV: Control 50% of land area by 323 BC.

2. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

I agree the spread of Hellenism with Macedon is a good idea, better if all religions don't give the same bonuses.

3. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Macedon's UP should also be something to do with mercenaries. Alexander did hire many mercenaries in his conquest, without them he couldn't have conquered so much.

4. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

A Mercenaries-related UP is probably much more fit for Carthage, or even Persia.

5. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Just think about Alexander rapidly expanding his borders with 100% home-city troops, it wouldn't be the same! In RL he had no less than 40% mercenaries!

6. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I don't know much about Carthage or Macedonia, but I'm sure a lot of you do. So those enthusiastic about either of their history, and of the mercenary UHV, so come up with a realistic proposal for a UHV goal or a UP that will make the game more historical and more fun. If a couple of you post ideas, we can merge them if we find fit.
    But Carthage's UP is "Mercenaries – Mercenaries hire and maintenance costs halved". I don't know if we do or don't want the same UP for Carthage in both games, so keep that in mind.

7. kbk

kbk Prince

I still think I like the spreading culture or spreading religion better than mercenaries. That's more fun, and you never know when mercenaries will be available anyways.

On a side note: I think we should set up another thread to discuss UPs and UUs.

8. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

At this point, we could even have MORE than 1 power for certain civs. I mean, that's unbalanced, but RFC is unbalanced in its very core after all...

Mercenaries are more historically related to Carthage. It's true Alexander commanded a lot of "foreign" (non-greek) troops, but the proportion was growing fast as he penetrated the Achaemenid Empire. In the beginning, yes, they were almost all greek.

So a power could be to get free, non-greek troops (that is, no phalanxes, but strong archers or horse archers, which weren't often in Greece) as you conquer Persian cities (or cities in the historical area of the Empire, for that matter). It could even be limited by a time frame.

9. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Maybe Macedon could have something like the Mongol UP? Not all of Persia fought against Alexander, after all. Many just gave up because they were a) afraid, or b) he was considered a liberator. Egypt and Lebanon especially (Tyre being the notable exception). This would also include a lot of his campaigns in Afghanistan and parts of India. Alexander was known for razing whole towns and killing or enslaving the population, if need be. Thebes (Greece) was his first.

10. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

I guess the only solution to this is let each civ have 2 UPs, but make each weaker than a general UP like in RFC and RFCE.
    So Macedon could have the spreading of Hellenism but only the religion without temples and the like as in Arabia's UP, and another UP regarding cities giving up, that could be true either only for some area's or only have 50% chance of happening or so. With two UPs that aren't always around the same concept (like Macedon's conquer cities - receive bonus).
    Then again, these two UP's can't go hand in hand. Even at full power each you still have to choose between them when conquering a city - raze and make nearby cities surrender or keep and get bonus religion (ofc cities who surrender shouldn't get the religion bonus, or maybe only a weaker bonus).
    I can go on and on... I say lets give Macedon these two UP's together and solve the whole thing during alpha testing.

11. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Idk, two UPs kind of makes them less 'unique.' We also can't have them a default superpower.
    It seems like it is one or the other on those two, so if it sounds like enough people are enthusiastic about which side they want, one of you should create a poll thread. (But not yet, because I think <10 votes is a waste of a thread.

12. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

They're exactly as "unique" as before. That refers to the fact that no other civ has them.

I don't understand why a civ can't have more than one UP, UB or UU.

Them not a superpower? Why not? They're supposed to be...

13. ZachScape

ZachScape King

This is all just 1 person's opinion:
    I just don't think that the UP will be as exciting as it was before. For some civs, 2 unique powers would be very difficult find, and in some cases, very hard to decide 2 among the many. It would be further impossible when UPs overlap, like if both Carthage and Macedonia get the same UP, for example (which it is not). But say we do all the major civilizations, then look at the more minor ones, like Armenia. The only thing we may think of may have better suited and been chosen for a different civilization. And then we would make up something, making it non historical.
    I also think that two would be taking advantage of it, but that does not matter as I know that I may be the only one that thinks that way. But, in other words, I think more than one is a buzzkill, sort of like mods that release hundreds of new civilizations, leaderheads, buildings, units, and techs, even though it just unbalances everything.

I'm in no means saying stop brainstorming UPs after we already have one, but I think the best one should win, or be a combination of some if possible.

14. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Maybe Frankia's UP could be Macedon's? In many ways Alexander was like Napoleon, think about it.

15. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

Problem for that is Alexander's Empire fell inmediately after his death (as did Napoleon's, true, but I don't think that's the basis for Frankia's UP in RFCE).

It's much more appropiate for Rome.

16. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

Good point Jedi. Wow, Rome with a cultural UP that would be something huh?

17. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Rome has many UPs to choose from. Here's a (good IMO) different example.
    -Power of Concrete: Lower production requirements with city improvements (or anything)

But I have a feeling RFCA is going to be merged with the Greek World map. I'm not upset by this at all, as I practiced map making, learned a lot about history, and met a couple of new well... fellow fanatics. If it merged with GW, we would lose the map and a lot of the eastern civs, but it's not like we got any far on the game. With Rhye's help, the game could go smoother, and I (and possibly we) could learn a lot from Rhye's guidance. It will help me by finding out what does what, one step at a time.

18. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

I'd just like to see this project continue in one sense or another. Replies have dropped off, but it's too young to die. :)

19. General Toad

General Toad Chieftain

I'm certainly not a modder myself, but I've been following this project since I started lurking here, and I would love to see it complete. I'd be glad to give ideas for anything that you guys... need ideas for. =P

20. Samsa

Samsa Chieftain

I'm sorry if this was asked or discussed before.
    Wich timespan this mod should cover? And which religions do you think about? Imho Egyptian polytheism, Zarathroaism, Judaism rly should be part of this.