RFC:Antiquity

We have a thread on just religions. And time would be from 3000 BC to 50 BC/ 50 AD.
But before we do any more work, let's just see how Greek World goes if we research it next.

is this project completely dead?:(

I thought it had a fantastic potential.

RFC:Antiquity is suffering from the same problem that RFC:Europe had about a year ago. No body is willing/capable of writing the code. In RFC:Europe we a least had the map to begin with, RFC:A doesn't even have that (and no special skills are required to make the map).

No, the problem is RFC: Greek World (well, it's not really a problem, but it is the delaying factor). I'm thinking while that is going on, we will see a game built from the ground up (didn't find RFCE until after it finished the foundation of the mod.
I wouldn't say RFCA is dead, but is more like... Rip Van Winkle.

To put it a bit more clearly: around the time this project was losing some steam, Rhye posted a poll where he asked what the RFC community believed his next project should be. One of the options was improvements to his Greek World mod, which would cover much of the same era as this mod would have. Since that option is winning/has won the poll (if only barely), people are willing to wait for Rhye (who is finishing a RAND patch first) rather than duplicate effort.

On the other hand, if you all were willing to continue working on this particular project, that wouldn't do a whole lot other than provide a significant variation on a similar theme - in particular that Rhye wants to continue using the incorrect map that the Greeks believed.

Huh... I thought my answer was pretty straight forward. I didn't think anybody who goes on Rhye's forum didn't see that thread, considering it has gotten kinda popular, so excuse me for not being clear enough.
And I'm sure this project will be delayed until RFC:GW is moving into its later stages (like how RFCE was a couple months ago).

How 'bout this:
One Celtic Team, non playable in the release. But there could be a ModModMod that could be released by you, and others who feel the same about the Celts on this map, that makes them playable, give them a UU and UB (may have to be something other than a dun, we may use that for a generic building) as well as UHVs.

I would love to make that mod. They'd start in NW Iberia (Galicia in Spain) or Gaul (Lutetia...same location as Paris) about 600BC (actually, I think it might be ideal to start them just before or concurrent with the Romans), and I'd keep the dun, but make the Celts' goals 1) control all of the territory of Gaul, Iberia and the British Isles by 50BC, 2) conquer the Romans by AD410, 3) be the first to found cities on both Britain and Ireland.

I just don't know where to insert those lines and into which files...

I would love to make that mod. They'd start in NW Iberia (Galicia in Spain) or Gaul (Lutetia...same location as Paris) about 600BC (actually, I think it might be ideal to start them just before or concurrent with the Romans), and I'd keep the dun, but make the Celts' goals 1) control all of the territory of Gaul, Iberia and the British Isles by 50BC, 2) conquer the Romans by AD410, 3) be the first to found cities on both Britain and Ireland.

I just don't know where to insert those lines and into which files...

Whis mod is already started. Go to the main RFC-forum. Then to the RFC-Greekworld. Their you find the MOD.

Whis mod is already started. Go to the main RFC-forum. Then to the RFC-Greekworld. Their you find the MOD.

hm...well, it is and it isn't...the issue I'm having is trying to activate the Celts in the 3000bc version of the worldwide scenario.

I can see nothing in the threads that will help me open the Celts as a playable option in RFC 3000 bc unocked. I'll continue to look, but if you happen to know of a particular thread that contains information about making a minor civ a major civ in a way the game accepts (rather than "you have been defeated" on turn 0), I would greatly appreciate a link as it will save me hours of combing through information that doesn't address my question.

TDK created a modmod where it was possible to play as the Byzantines. It is in the main section of the forum.

Indeed, and I've downloaded it. The thread doesn't really talk about how to make the modifications, however, just which modifications he's making.

In trying to change the Celts I must be missing something. He seems to have moved the byzantines into the unplayable greek slot...unfortunately, no such slot exists in the 3000bc map (the Greeks are tremendously important). Even if I were to swap the Celts further up the ladder in the WBSave file and move everyone else down in team number (would that even work?) I still don't know what else I need to change in the py files.

I've written to TDK a few days ago, but he's yet to get back to me.

You are right, however, that what TDK did is the closest thing I've seen to what I'm trying to do. I'll try juggling the team numbers next and see if that gets me a functioning Celts civ, or if I still start in year XXX and lose on turn 0.

alright, in moving the Celts up and making them a major, playable civ. So far, so good, but they still show up as "celtic peoples" in the menu (none others do), it gives me XXX as my starting year. I'm not defeated on turn 0, however, so that's fantastic. I didn't imagine that it could really have been that simple.

The only problem is that they spawn in Persia with immortals and all. It seems there are no persians, and the Americans are one of the barbarians or independents (Jerusalem and Afrosaib). There must be a command somewhere that tells "team 5" to spawn there. This sounds like s stupid question, but do you know what file governs that so I can change all the teams there?

The game crashes on turn 85, one turn after I spawn.

Still, I feel like I'm getting somewhere for the first time. Any thoughts on what to address next?

alright, I've altered the order in consts.py and citynamemanager.py

now I get the "you have been defeated" error on turn 0. What else is it that I need to be doing?

I'm also assuming I should eventually eliminate the Celts from barbs.py

I still can't find the file that contains the information giving that initial spawn location and units.

alright, I've altered the order in consts.py and citynamemanager.py

now I get the "you have been defeated" error on turn 0. What else is it that I need to be doing?

I'm also assuming I should eventually eliminate the Celts from barbs.py

I still can't find the file that contains the information giving that initial spawn location and units.

From My Games\Beyond the Sword, edit the file Civilization.ini to enable debugging. Then, when you play the game, in My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs there will be PythonErr.log and PythonErr2.log files that contain information about Python errors and crashes. "You have been defeated" is usually due to a Python error, the above will help you identify the error.

Top Bottom