RFC Civilizations in Abundance

Jarkov

Warlord
RFC Civilizations in Abundance is a new modmod of Rhye's and Fall of Civilization Marathon, that will feature all the civilizations playable in the original game (including Warlords and BtS).

So far, this Mod features:

- Fully playable Koreans
- Fully playable Sumerians
- Fully playable Babylonians (which now appear in 2000 BC, instead of 3000 BC, and have changed UHVs)
- Fully playable Celts
- Playable Byzantium (with a minor glitch)
- Fully playable Holy Roman Empire
- Fully playable Native Americans
- Fully playable Zulu

The CityNameManager has now been changed so that not only cities founded where there is no name for the founding civilization get the name from another civilization's city map (which is what Jedi Clemente did), but now decides which civilization's city map to use regarding the cultural relations and the time (for example, Egypt will now use Arab names rather than English ones, and before 600, latin or greece will be used rather than, for example, French).

If a non-human civilization collapses, it will collapse like a human one the first time. If it collapses a second time, it collapses like non-human civilizations did before.

Also, this Mod features a scenario made with Baldyr's PyScenario, which introduces a desertification process in the Sahara (quite like Baldyr's desertification mod, but not exactly the same), and makes Greenland more hospitable.

In addition, this Mod also incorporates JediClemente's RFC:BWS mod.

Further changes:

- The number of civilizations who get a second chance before collapsing has been reduced - most ancient civilizations only get one try.
- Once a civ has been reborn, it won't collapse again.
- It is now possible to found cities in the Jungle when it's on a coastal tile.
- The Babylonian starting units have been adjusted to make their UHV easier
- The German civ has new UHVs
- The Sumerian civ has new UHVs
- The HRE now becomes the Austrian empire/archduchy once it reaches a certain era.
- For every city originally given to the independents or barbarians now exists a corresponding minor civilization (with the exception of the cities that are only there to flip to quickly arriving new civs in Europe).
- If a HRE city is occupied by the Germans, part of the HRE culture will flip to Germany (because otherwise Vienna and other cities will ususally revolt and eventually flip to the surrounding powers)

The Mod can be downloaded here

Many thanks to Rhye, Embryodead, Baldyr, Jedi Clemente, and Leoreth for helping with many problems.

Changes from RFC:Koreans:

- The Korean UP has been changed. They now get 2 Hammers from every plantation.

The "minor glitch" for Byzantium:

Due to a weird bug that I can't seem to find, the Byzantine player get's asked about one or two turns after Byzantium spawns, if he wants his cities to flip to another nation. This is the game asking if the surrounding cities should flip to Byzantium. Just let them go, then nothing further will happen. From time to time, this results in the capital being moved from Constantinople to one of the converted cities, but I put in a code that reverts this, so Byzantium can now be played without any further inconvenience.

I like the new civs, but I have a commend:

The last Sumerian UHV has to be changed. It makes no sense. You allways try to survive, otherwise you can't play the game at all.

I don't like the UU of the Sumerians as well. It only adds + 25% vs. mounted units, but all standard bonus' of the archer are gone. I would rather have no extra features than having them gone and be replaced with +25 % vs. mounted units.

Impressive. I'm already curious how you will manage to create a believable starting situation for the Byzantines, cause that's what I'm currently struggling with :D

And it may get difficult to have Native Americans or Zulu make sense. But let's see :)

Regarding PyScenario - I see that you managed to change the default mod path. This will work dynamically with the next update (coming as soon as someone finds me a honest-to-god bug to fix) out-of-the-box, so to speak.

Just holler if you're missing something in the PyScenario API and I'll add it.

The last Sumerian UHV has to be changed. It makes no sense. You allways try to survive, otherwise you can't play the game at all.

I don't like the UU of the Sumerians as well. It only adds + 25% vs. mounted units, but all standard bonus' of the archer are gone. I would rather have no extra features than having them gone and be replaced with +25 % vs. mounted units.

Both the UHV and the UU have the same reason behind them: In 2000, there is the first of two greater spawns of independent enemies (chariots), right next to Uruk. (The second spawn is large enough to kill the city in any event, to make place for the Babylonians).

Impressive. I'm already curious how you will manage to create a believable starting situation for the Byzantines, cause that's what I'm currently struggling with

And it may get difficult to have Native Americans or Zulu make sense. But let's see

I'm also curous about the Byzantines, and not at all sure how exactly they will enter the game.

The Native Americans will be hard, the Zulus shouldn't be too difficult.

Regarding PyScenario - I see that you managed to change the default mod path. This will work dynamically with the next update (coming as soon as someone finds me a honest-to-god bug to fix) out-of-the-box, so to speak.

I have to say that I wondered for some hours why the cities that were spawned with the editor belonged to the Americans, and not the independents, but I figured it out eventually.

Both the UHV and the UU have the same reason behind them: In 2000, there is the first of two greater spawns of independent enemies (chariots), right next to Uruk. (The second spawn is large enough to kill the city in any event, to make place for the Babylonians).

Ok. But then you should change the text of the UHV into: Do not loose any city (or just Uruk) until 2000 BC. This is less confusing.

I understand what you tried with the UU. But IMO, an UU should add something, and not let the standard features away. An option is to keep the standard archer features, and reduce the 50% city defene to 25% city defence. (and keeping the 25% vs. mounted units.)

Changes from RFC:Koreans:

- The Korean UP has been changed. They now get 2 Hammers from every plantation.

What's left to do:

The following Civilizations should be incorporated into the game:

- The Celts
- Byzantium
- The Holy Roman Empire
- The Native Americans
- The Zulu

If you have any ideas, what UPs or UHVs these civilizations should have, please post them in this thread, as I am sure that there are others who know the history of these civilizations better than I do.

Considering the Holy Roman Empire, they will spawn instead of the Germans (and a little earlier). The Germans will spawn between the Turks and the Americans.

Considering the Native Americans, they will probably have to represent the Mississippi-Culture or the Pueblo cultures (or both), seeing as the post-columbian native Americans didn't live in cities. As I am by no means an expert on the pre-Columbian cultures, any help with names, leaders, etc. will be very appreciated.
You could have the Native Americans represent the Iroquois Confederation.
The Zulu will have to simply represent everything south of Ethiopia

Some Ideas for Celts.
UP - Warrior Culture, Units gain promotions quicker.
UHV - Expand into Britain and Anatolia, Lose no cities to the romans, have X amount of soldiers

Just wondering, how is a surviving Celtic culture going to cope with the Medieval civs appearing?

France doesn't flip the Bretagne, as far as I know. They could also keep a remaining city in Ireland.

The Celtic UHV could also require them to build Stonehenge, but that would probably require moving it to a later tech.

By the way, the Sumerian UHV is too easy- on EMPEROR- just put research to Writing, quarry the stone(1st) and cottage a floodplain(2nd), keep building and fortifying Vultures, and keep all citizens working the floodplain tiles, including the Stone Floodplain, and you win. It's not a challenge to get writing or survive the chariot onslaught.

Ok. But then you should change the text of the UHV into: Do not loose any city (or just Uruk) until 2000 BC. This is less confusing.

I understand what you tried with the UU. But IMO, an UU should add something, and not let the standard features away. An option is to keep the standard archer features, and reduce the 50% city defene to 25% city defence. (and keeping the 25% vs. mounted units.)

These are both good ideas, and will be implemented

By the way, the Sumerian UHV is too easy- on EMPEROR- just put research to Writing, quarry the stone(1st) and cottage a floodplain(2nd), keep building and fortifying Vultures, and keep all citizens working the floodplain tiles, including the Stone Floodplain, and you win. It's not a challenge to get writing or survive the chariot onslaught.

I was afraid this might be too easy. If you have good ideas how to make it harder, I'll use them.

Could you list important information about each civ you added in your first post? The most recent idea for UU(s), UB(s), UP(s) would be really awesome.

I'll try to download it when I get back to the US.

I would not give Uruk any culture to start with. Although it makes sense historically, by 2000 BC, Uruk has a +50% defense modifier. I'm not sure what else you would do to make it harder.

You could do what other people have done when trying to make Earth maps with Babylon and Sumeria-turn Sumeria into Israel. That's the best solution I could come up with.

BTW, Uruk is spelled Urug in the mod, which is not correct. Just thought you might want to know.

FYI, this is a really great idea for a mod, and this is really good for a first version.

UPDATE: I was playing Korea and Japan attacked me pretty early by galley and took Pusan. Can you give Korea more troops to start with? An extra archer for each city would help Korea survive without giving them the strength to take Beijing (China has three archers in that city) and easily get two silks, fulfilling one of the UHV conditions.

I would not give Uruk any culture to start with. Although it makes sense historically, by 2000 BC, Uruk has a +50% defense modifier. I'm not sure what else you would do to make it harder.

You could do what other people have done when trying to make Earth maps with Babylon and Sumeria-turn Sumeria into Israel. That's the best solution I could come up with.

BTW, Uruk is spelled Urug in the mod, which is not correct. Just thought you might want to know.

Uruk has walls at the beginning, I will take these away. I could also give them a second tech to research, but I'm not sure if there is enough time to possibly do this for them.

It should be spelled "Unug", which is, as far as I know, the transliteration of the Sumerian litogram for Uruk.

FYI, this is a really great idea for a mod, and this is really good for a first version.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I was playing Korea and Japan attacked me pretty early by galley and took Pusan. Can you give Korea more troops to start with? An extra archer for each city would help Korea survive without giving them the strength to take Beijing (China has three archers in that city) and easily get two silks, fulfilling one of the UHV conditions.

How soon in the game was this? I've had both Japan and China declare war to me when I played Korea eventually in every game, but it never happened so early that I couldn't defend myself. I could give the Koreans another archer though, I don't think it would make them overpowered.

Ideas for Civs

Byzantium
Led by: Justinian at spawn, Basil at Guilds
UP: Power of Byzantine Diplomacy: +1 Espionage per city
Spawn Date: 360AD
Spawns at: The Bosporus
Flip Area: Anatolia and the Black Sea
Historical Area: Everywhere the Byzantines controlled with a bit more.
UHV 1: Make Constantinople have the most culture in 1000AD.
UHV 2: Control Greece, the Black Sea, Anatolia and the Levant in 1200AD.
UHV 3: Be the wealthiest civ in 1500AD.

Zululand
Led by: Shaka at spawn, Mandela at Assembly Line
UP: The Power of Motivation: The Zulus are able to draft more, without needing Nationhood or getting Unhappiness
Spawn Date: 1200 AD (Not historical)
Spawns at: Zimbabwe
Flip Area: South Africa
Stable Area: Sub-Saharan Africa
UHV1: No European Cities in Subsaharan Africa in 1700 AD (includes Madagascar)
UHV2: Have an army of 75 Units in 1750 AD
UHV3: Capture 5 European cities.

Mississippi Tribes
Later

Celtic Tribes
Led by: Brennus at spawn, William Wallace at Feudalism, Micheal Collins at Assembly Line
UP: Power of Warrior Culture: Cities start with free Duns, changes to Castles at Guilds, Bomb Shelters at Rocketry
Spawn Date: Beginning
Spawns at: Marseille, respawns at Scotland(Medieval and Renaissance Ages) and Ireland(Industrial and Modern Ages)
Stable Area: France, Britain, Low Countries, Northern Italy, Atlantic Seaboard
UHV1: Have 3 cities in Gaul(France+Low Countries) and 1 in Italy
UHV2: Raze the Roman Capital
UHV3: Have 3 cities in Gaul, 2 in the British Isles, 1 in Italy and 1 in the New World.

Holy Roman Empire
Led by: Charlemagne at spawn, Charles V at Astronomy, Franz Joseph at Rifling
UP: Power of the Faith: Monasteries don't go obsolete
Spawn Date: 800AD
Spawns at: Vienna
Stable Area: Germany, the Balkans(except Greece), France, Low Countries and Italy
UHV1: Control Rome by 1100AD
UHV2: Have 1 city in Italy, 2 cities in the Balkans and 3 cities in Germany by 1300AD
UHV3: Get 4 Great People by 1800AD

Ideas for Civs

Byzantium

Zululand
Led by: Shaka(Beginning) and Mandela(Changes at Assembly Line)
UP: The Power of Motivation: The Zulus are able to draft more, without needing Nationhood or getting Unhappiness

Iroquois Confederacy
Led by:Hiawatha
UU:Tomahawk Warrior(Replaces Axeman,Starts with Woodsman and Guerrilla 1)
UB:Longhouse(Replaces Courthouse,+5% storage)
UP:power of Forest Homes(Needs better name)(Can build improvements without chopping down Forests.)
Spawn Date: 500 AD(Early,but gives them a fighting chance)
Spawns at: Ottawa
Stable Area: Atlantic Seaboard down to Carolina, around the Great Lakes
UHV1:Research Gunpowder by 1600 AD.
UHV2:Lose no cities to Europeans until 1650 AD.
UHV3:Lose no cities to America until 1820 AD.

Lakota Tribes
Led by: Sitting Bull
UP: Power of Natives: At peace with the Natives
Spawn Date: 900AD
Spawns at: Little Bighorn
Stable Area: USA between the Rockies and Mississippi, Canada between Iroquois area and Rockies
UHV1: Ensure all cities above 5 population have a Totem Pole, Granary and connection to the capital in 1800AD
UHV2: Capture a European or American city.
UHV3: Lose no cities to the Americans before 1876AD

It's better to let them build X of those buildings in 1800 AD. Otherwise you just keep the population under 5 and you will win.

Ideas for Civs

Byzantium

That sounds all very good, I'm not sure though, if +1 Espionage per City is enough.

Zululand
Led by: Shaka(Beginning) and Mandela(Changes at Assembly Line)

I've thought about letting them spawn earlier and have them represent the Kingdom of the Congo, but I'd rather try and have them represent the actual Zulus.

Iroquois Confederacy
Led by:Hiawatha
UU:Tomahawk Warrior(Replaces Axeman,Starts with Woodsman and Guerrilla 1)
UB:Longhouse(Replaces Courthouse,+5% storage)
UP:power of Forest Homes(Needs better name)(Can build improvements without chopping down Forests.)
Spawn Date: 500 AD(Early,but gives them a fighting chance)
Spawns at: Ottawa
Stable Area: Atlantic Seaboard down to Carolina, around the Great Lakes
UHV1:Research Gunpowder by 1600 AD.
UHV2:Lose no cities to Europeans until 1650 AD.
UHV3:Lose no cities to America until 1820 AD.

Lakota Tribes
Led by: Sitting Bull
UP: Power of Natives: At peace with the Natives
Spawn Date: 900AD
Spawns at: Little Bighorn
Stable Area: USA between the Rockies and Mississippi, Canada between Iroquois area and Rockies
UHV1: Ensure all cities above 5 population have a Totem Pole, Granary and connection to the capital in 1800AD
UHV2: Capture a European or American city.
UHV3: Lose no cities to the Americans before 1876AD

I don't think Iroquois and Lakota tribes are really that much of a city building civilization. I will probably have the Native Americans represent the Mississippian culture.

It was around the 20th turn after spawn, which was really weird.

With how much units did they attack? I've had them DoW on me that early too, but they always came with a force I could counter with Hwachas.

Top Bottom