RFC Classical World

@Leoreth: can you be more specific? are the "Cy.xxx" files the DLL-python interface? I looked through them and couldn't find anything that made sense to me. some of the stuff in C++ I kind of get but a lot I don't.
Yeah, I meant these. It's just a wild guess and usually there shouldn't happen anything else but handing the arguments down to the proper class, but if there's nothing wrong in the actual C++ code and in Python than I thought it would be worth it to take a look at the connection between both.

religion bugs are all fixed I think. we added tradeable resources representing the collected wisdom of each of the religions. these resources are produced by religious buildings. when python constants were set for them they were given the names iJudaism, iZoroastrianism etc.

tbh I don't even remember adding those constants.

I'm so happy this is fixed. print statements are awesome.

Good to hear. I had something similar to this too when I added "iMusic" as a constant for the Graceland bonus and couldn't figure out why suddenly everyone started with the wrong techs :crazyeye:

had a fun game as Armenia. I reduced the conquest goal to just Syria and Caucasus since Syria has 4 cities and 3 other civs competing. I also made the Armenians UU a cavalry counter. if I want to make it harder I will include maybe 1 city in Anatolia and 1 in Mesopotamia

Christianity founds in Jerusalem after 33AD, chance increases each year. Armenia starts with Priesthood but still I couldn't get Theology before then.

Attachments

• Armenian Antioch.JPG
    Armenian Antioch.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 114
  • Armenian territory.JPG
    Armenian territory.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Armenian victory.JPG
    Armenian victory.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 104
I think I should add the Au Lac kingdom and respawn the Qin as a non-playable Nan Yue/Min Yue civ. that would make south China a lot more interesting.

Au Lac is a very nice idea. In my Han game, that area feels very empty. A civ to fill it up would be nice.

I had problems with Faith Points as the Mauryans. But I think that's because Buddhism wasn't recognized to be my state religion. (Even though I started with Buddhism as state religion and never changed it.) Maybe if I switch to an other religion and back again it would have worked. I will check if this is true.

I tested the Mauryans last night and I definitely got piety for building Buddhist buildings.

thats great. it will be cool to have some unique flags in this mod.

we need a leaderhead to use for this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thục_Phán

edit: just remembered our Armenian flag is unique to this mod. it looks great.

also, the inside of Trajan's mouth is pink. do you know how to fix that? there were a couple of other roman leaderheads I liked as well so if you wan to use something else thats ok too.

have you ever looked at PIEs Ancient Europe mod? they have some good looking units. I'm currently not crazy about the greek heavy spearman we're using. it looked good in nifscope, but less so in the game. also I never meant to make the indy heavy spearmen persian. something more generic would be cool.

After playing several campaigns as the Romans, I've noticed a few things:

Spoiler :
1. Dacia appears to be a required territory for the second UHV, as it should be, but is not listed on the victory conditions list

2. The second UHV is a bit nightmarish to pull off. While I managed to stay (barely) in the black completing the first UHV through carefully planned expansion, the much shorter time frame to progress to Trajan's territory puts too much stress on the empire, leading to troop strikes and almost immediate barbarian takeovers. Could the date be moved back to A.D. 117? This gives a berth comparable to that for the first UHV, and is more historically accurate, as that is the date the real life Trajan died.

3. The barbarians seem a little over powered, particularly along the franco-german border and at sea. Infrastructure development is almost impossible without a large number of troops, which makes the second UHV even harder.

4. These two are more of suggestions: are conditional spawns possible? I think this would be great for the Byzantines, as the whole purpose of the Tetrarchy was to counter the instability of the empire. Shouldn't this only happen if the human player is facing collapse?

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_the_Third_Century Could this be done? perhaps as a respawn of the Celts and Egyptians? It was an epoch defining event and lead directly to the East-West split

6. You probably know this, but the Hagia Sophia was an Orthodox cathedral built in Constantinople. Instead, could I recommend moving the Hellenic holy city to Athens and using the oracle (delphi was pretty close to Athens) or the Parthenon?

I also have some ideas for unique powers for the civs missing theirs if you're interested

Regarding point 5, don't you think the large number of barbarians along the franco-german border, particularly if the units were to be named after the then-powerful barbarian tribes, is an accurate representation of the crisis of the third century? Having respawns in Celtic and Egyptian lands would, I think, be frustrating for the player.

Regarding point 5, don't you think the large number of barbarians along the franco-german border, particularly if the units were to be named after the then-powerful barbarian tribes, is an accurate representation of the crisis of the third century?
If you want to be historically accurate, definitely not!

I don't know the situation of Rome in this century (in game I mean) so I won't say too much about that, but the Crisis of the Third Century had almost as much to do with Rome itself than with barbarian invasions. The emergence of the Gallic and Palmyrene Empires would represent the internal instability of the Empire very well (it could be tied to Roman stability so you don't have to deal with them if you're doing good). If you want to be really mean, you can even throw in some extra inflation to model Rome's economic problems.

I think the line of causation goes armies that were supposed to stay on the borders fight and die in civil wars -> barbarians becomes more of a threat -> local organized defense becomes a necessity -> the Roman state is forced to reorganise and mount a more effective defense against barbarians with the five good soldier-emperors. So barbarians would represent a major part of that chain of events. I don't think civil wars as a general phenomenon is a fun part for the player and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

If there's anything to know about the Crisis of the Third Century, it's that there's not a clear line of causation :) Of course increased barbarian pressure was a catalyst of the events, but that existed in other centuries as well.

I agree that the inclusion of such things should ultimately decided by what is fun, though. However, I don't think that the usurper Empires would be necessarily unfun. It depends on how you do it: as long as the player can do something against it (keeping his stability >0, for example), it's not so bad imo. After all, respawns already can happen in the game, and this would just be a way to reflavour a Gallic or Egyptian respawn for the respective era.

@Saturninus: thanks for the interest and ideas.

moved the 2nd Roman goal to 125AD and properly included Dacia in the victory screen.

perhaps I will reduce the European barbs a bit in the early stages.

yes conditional spawns are possible. this is my idea for the Byzantines:

the Byzantines, if not human, may spawn any time after 293 (tetrachy). as human I think they need a regular spawn like everyone else

if the Romans are stable the Byzantines don't spawn

in the 220AD scenario the non-playable Romans cannot collapse until 305

if the Romans collapse for any reason and the Byzantines have not yet spawned, whether the Romans are the human player or not, the Romans don't collapse but they lose some cities and the Byzantines spawn, flipping only Roman units and cities and with a capital at the largest eastern city if Byzantium is not Roman.

if the Romans collapse and the Byzantines are already spawned, the Romans collapse.

and I guess if the Romans collapse early or if they have no eastern cities, no Byzantines

I'm working on the Byzantines start right now. I'm having trouble getting them to do what I want, which is flip only Roman cities and units but do so in their Normal Areas rather than Core Areas.

I think I am going to have to find ways of keeping AI Rome more stable for longer to play the role they are supposed to play, but hitting them with negative events later will help the Byzantines spawn. probably will have to give them a UP related to that. for the player, I think the 3rd century crisis is having your stability slide and losing some cities. also Rome doesn't have a survival goal, once you get your 2 techs you win, and I'd like to make that possible by 250AD at the latest. maybe Rome should have a survival goal? as for the Palmyrene Empire, 13 years = 8 turns so I don't think they warrant a full civ respawn, cool though it would be.

the Celts, Dacians and Carthage will respawn as the Visigoths, Ostrogoths and Vandals in 420, 490 and 430 respectively. I think I can also make the Dacians respawn again as the Lombards if the Ostrogoths are destroyed.

I'm not sure how the Hagia Sophia relates to the Hellenic holy city but I chose Alexandria because it was the intellectual centre of the Hellenistic world and Athens was a much less important city. I am thinking of Hellenic learning rather than Hellenic religious observance here. from a gameplay perspective, having the Hellenic holy city in Alexandria helps counter Judaism. I'm going to lower the spread rate of Judaism anyway though.

@Leoreth: for the Byzantine spawn I am passing the NormalRegions plotlist to the birth call rather than the CoreRegions plotlist, but still only flipping the core. any ideas?

thats great. it will be cool to have some unique flags in this mod.

we need a leaderhead to use for this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thục_Phán

edit: just remembered our Armenian flag is unique to this mod. it looks great.

also, the inside of Trajan's mouth is pink. do you know how to fix that? there were a couple of other roman leaderheads I liked as well so if you wan to use something else thats ok too.

have you ever looked at PIEs Ancient Europe mod? they have some good looking units. I'm currently not crazy about the greek heavy spearman we're using. it looked good in nifscope, but less so in the game. also I never meant to make the indy heavy spearmen persian. something more generic would be cool.

The Armenian flag isn't unique to this mod. I hired it from Realism Invictus. I didn't update the button back then, but now I have a proper button on my PC. (I will upload it when I have create some more FlagDecals. I have Funan and Dacia done by now)

I also saw that Trajan's mouth is pink. I have no idea however how to fix it.

Yes, I have PAE. I will look for some units.

]
I'm not sure how the Hagia Sophia relates to the Hellenic holy city but I chose Alexandria because it was the intellectual centre of the Hellenistic world and Athens was a much less important city. I am thinking of Hellenic learning rather than Hellenic religious observance here. from a gameplay perspective, having the Hellenic holy city in Alexandria helps counter Judaism. I'm going to lower the spread rate of Judaism anyway though.

I was going to reply that for a religious wonder the Statue of Zeus would be a simple and fitting solution, but since you say it's more tied to Hellenic Learning I'm not so sure. I think it is the right way to represent the religion though, as a way of thinking.

The whole set of ideas for the Byzantine spawn is really great, it captures the situation rather perfectly, and the cities declaring independence is a better way of handling so short an event. (This event being the Crisis of the Third Century. Sorry that that wasnt clear)

As for the whole roman survival, maybe several of their buildings could be given stability bonuses? Like barracks, walls, or aqueducts, i.e. the prototypical roman town requirements

An A.D. 476 survival goal would be cool, but what about unification? UHVs are mostly two historical, one ahistorical, so why not reunification in 476 or 1453?

Lastly, I like the Alexandria site better now that you've explained it. And since its based on Hellenic learning, why not make their shrine the Library? I'll admit, it annoys me to no end when I see it somewhere else anyway.

@Leoreth: for the Byzantine spawn I am passing the NormalRegions plotlist to the birth call rather than the CoreRegions plotlist, but still only flipping the core. any ideas?
Where exactly? When calling birthInForeignBorders or birthInFreeRegion in initBirth?

I was going to reply that for a religious wonder the Statue of Zeus would be a simple and fitting solution, but since you say it's more tied to Hellenic Learning I'm not so sure. I think it is the right way to represent the religion though, as a way of thinking.
I agree that the Statue of Zeus is the most appropriate wonder for a Hellenic holy city. Although it depends on what you consider to be the center of Hellenic culture after Alexander and in Roman times, because that was arguably rather Alexandria than Greece proper. So the Great Library idea has its merits as well.

Top Bottom