RFC Classical World

It's really not as hard as it sounds. Get Tortoise SVN. After you've installed it, new options will appear in the right-click context menu. After you've opened your Beyond the Sword\Mods\ folder, right-click and choose "SVN Checkout". There you have to enter the link given in this thread. The SVN client will then download the mod folder. You only have to rename it to the usual name "RFC Classical World".

Afterwards you can treat it as a normal mod folder, the only difference is that you can always right-click it and choose "SVN Update" to get the latest changes.

as a bonus you can play totally up to date versions of DoC and RFCA as well. (and DC123456789 you should get svn too, and Leoreth, thanks for help as always)

@merijn_v1: you don't have python exceptions enabled do you? if you did they would have told you that they have no idea who Mehmed is and that they were therefore refusing to place anything on the map. now that I've sent Mehmed home and replaced him with Abd Ar Rahman the python exceptions have also gone home and the world is restored! (and btw how do you do changes on 2 maps at once? I mark the changes I'm going to make in WB with "landmark mode" signs, then do the actual changes to the 2 real maps in Notepad++ so I can the 2 of them plus the copy with signs all open at once)

what map changes did you make? and did you commit after you made them?

I moved the spawn of Funan 1 tile east. And I placed some cities in SE Asia. (Indonesia and Khmer Area) Ofcourse I committed the changes. (rev 237 or something)

as a bonus you can play totally up to date versions of DoC and RFCA as well. (and DC123456789 you should get svn too, and Leoreth, thanks for help as always)

@merijn_v1: you don't have python exceptions enabled do you? if you did they would have told you that they have no idea who Mehmed is and that they were therefore refusing to place anything on the map. now that I've sent Mehmed home and replaced him with Abd Ar Rahman the python exceptions have also gone home and the world is restored! (and btw how do you do changes on 2 maps at once? I mark the changes I'm going to make in WB with "landmark mode" signs, then do the actual changes to the 2 real maps in Notepad++ so I can the 2 of them plus the copy with signs all open at once)

No, I don't have python exceptions enabled. How do you do that?

Didn't you already change Mehmed to Abd Ar Rahman in an earlier revision? I made my changes after that. (Or was this bug still in the 220AD scenario?)

What I did is starting a game as the Seleucids and make all changes I wanted to make. Then I added all changes manually with a text editor. I did it for both scenarios. (It might not be the most efficient way, but it's the only way I know and I'm sure it works.)

python exceptions is in the _Civ4Config file.

thanks for doing the SE asian resources.

2 new playable civs on the way. one is Vietnam, the other I'll surprise you with. should be finished tonight.

finally finished.

Attachments

• Vietnam.JPG
    Vietnam.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Judah 1.JPG
    Judah 1.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Judah 2.JPG
    Judah 2.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 108
had some XML in the wrong order, causing UHVs and UPs to display incorrectly. fixed now.

Spotted a bug in the Sassanid 2nd UHV. I got the message "not yet" after 400 AD. (I didn't have the provinces I should have) But when I got the required provinces, I still got the message "not yet".

Maybe the "No resistance in conquered cities is a nice UP for the Sassanids. Or do you have something else in mind?

I will post a more detail overview when I'm finished that game.

Couple of Python exceptions (see attachments). The second one came up nearly every turn after this time.

Also, it's kind of annoying that the Hebrews take away Egypt's only source of metal on spawn. It's nearly impossible to defend against them because all production needs to go into harbors, libraries and science initially, and afterwards you have even less of a chance to build up a decent army.

the Sassanid UHV should be fixed now. I hadn't thought about their UP yet. Unless there's something really obvious I sometimes wait to see if they need anything extra for their goals, but no resistance could be good.

I thought this might be good as a Maccabean UHV: have open borders with all civs that have Judaism in their empires. this could represent an attempt to bring the diaspora home, or least give them the opportunity.

@Leoreth: hmmmm... now that the Egyptians have more challenges I could take away some of the harbor and library requirements for the wonders. were you not able to make peace after they took Jerusalem? did you know they were coming or did they surprise you? any good mercs available? also, how was the Alexandria population goal? too easy?

I'm not sure if I got a bad spawn, but I lasted about 10 turns as the Kingdom of Judah, probably less. I begged for peace from the Ptolemaics and the Seleucids (?) but Carthage DoWed me and refused to talk and quickly buried me. I'll give them another shot, but they might need a bit of help.

well there's no reason for Carthage to hate you. I'll look into that. any ideas for a UP that might help? I was thinking of city defense for all units. I could also give them some more starting gold so they can buy people off.

edit: just tried them and they would have killed me but I managed to make peace, so its possible.

also those python things are fixed.

actually Red Boxer I think I misread your post. did you mean that you did make peace with Egypt and the Seleucids? there is no attitude modifier between Carthage and Judah. if I'm a small civ I usually give gold to the big civs as soon as I meet them.

I think Carthage's DoW was just opportunistic.

I noticed a couple of other things, the Maccabees don't get defensive bonuses according to the pedia (does that negate their listed city and hill bonuses?) nor do they get their bonus vs Melee. Their tech level also seems behind those of their neighbors, I am getting bronze age guys and they are attacking with iron age guys. A siege weapon or three might help level the odds for taking that first city.

In terms of UP, something combat oriented seems fitting, given their battle scared history. Their armies are being described very talented guerilla fighters, so perhaps withdrawing and defensive bonuses would make sense.

I think they are a good state to be reborn at various points as they were quite prone to rebelling.

I'm going to give it yet another go and see what I can manage.

sorry total oversight on the unit. they get defensive bonuses now, +25% vs melee, +25% city defense, 15% withdrawal.

they will definitely respawn, both in 70AD and randomly if the owners stability is bad.

some spawns are definitely better than others...

Attachments

• lucky Judah.JPG
    lucky Judah.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 104
actually Red Boxer I think I misread your post. did you mean that you did make peace with Egypt and the Seleucids? there is no attitude modifier between Carthage and Judah. if I'm a small civ I usually give gold to the big civs as soon as I meet them.

In the first game, yes, but the Seleucids haven't been as accommodating in the other games I've played and stomp on me with a healthy stack of powerful (read: more advanced) units after a few turns (of refuse to talk). I am giving it a fifth attempt.

Perhaps their UP could have something to do with their monotheism. Something in the form of bonuses to make up for not welcoming other state's gods into their lands.

If you are looking for a Jewish Wonder I'd recommend the House of Hillel. It could be a bit of a catch all wonder that'd give a little happy and a little science and a little maintenance bonus. Also the Third Temple could be cool! :D

I think something is off with Ghana, they appeared in India in my most recent game ... appear to control Byzantium and possess a huge assortment of technologies (founding Christianity and Islam before 250 BC).

PS - I finally got a game (as Judah) where I managed a peace treaty with the Seleucids for about 50 years before they decided to attack me again with even tougher units and ended me a couple of turn later.

Top Bottom