RFC Classical World

I'd like to have a port in that are but don't want to crowd Susa and Babylon. whats the best name/tile combination?

Charax Spasinou, 1N of the present Charax. It's right next to Charax's actual location (which would be 1E of the proposed location) without crowding Susa too much.

if you added DC123456789's new city map that might have been the problem. it was missing a couple of commas.

It seems I'm always missing commas. :p

A proposal for changing up expansion stability a bit about cores:

Right now if you don't control your entire core your expansion penalty is automatically set to -4. This doesn't really make sense if you only don't control a tiny 1 pop city. So, I propose that if you control over 75% but less than 100% of the population of the cities in your core, you get a -1 malus to your expansion stability on top of the normal core vs. non-core population. If you control between 30% and 75% you get -2. If you control between 0% and 30% you get a -4 malus and if you lose your entire core your expansion penalty is set to -4 or even -5. This, in my opinion makes more sense than the flat rate of -4 no matter how much you don't control.

[about Rome's 80BC start being weak]
as an opponent for the human player or vs AI as well? they seem to survive fine when I run 100ad test starts.

[...]

I think the 1st part, Rome conquering Persia, is rare. the way the system is set up now its impossible to collapse completely before your scripted "fall" date unless you lose your core completely. that could easily happen to Rome by 420ad (their fall date is 410). when I ran a bunch of Visigoth starts (420ad) Rome was hanging in there in almost every one.

vs AI, as I was testing loading 0-100 AD test starts from 80 BC. It is tied to the Balkan barbarian problem I mentioned, most probably. From 80 BC, they seemed more prone to crisis, perhaps because from 320 BC their empire grows "naturally".

Of course, it follows that against a human opponent the start is also fragile. They don't really have anything to counterattack you with if you rush into Anatolia or Greece.

Regarding Sassanid-Roman warring, while usually the Sassanids hold the line, or even conquer some Roman territory, I've seen a few instances of Romans getting lucky and taking the Sassanid capital, which often leads to terminal collapse of Sassanids. If anyone should collapse the Sassanids, it should be the East Romans rather than the West Romans. I think walls in the Sassanid core cities would be all that is necessary to prevent Romans from sneaking in a core capture.

---

Also, loaded a Japanese game from 220 AD, opened WB and found that Epidamnos is an independent city in the middle of the sea of Roman red!

Edit:
Also of note: West Roman cities in Mesopotamia and Armenia do not flip to East Rome at their spawn.

Solution: West Roman cities East of the East Roman spawn should become independent at East Roman spawn.

Done a translation to these maps, I got em from the Cambridge book I was talking about

For the time being, these are the results for Bactria region, and eastern Iran-western Pakistan. In Bold you can see the Greek names, in italic the modern names.

I am processing another map now,much of the middle east is included. I hope they will be useful

Attachments

• BactriaMap.jpg
    BactriaMap.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 126
  • easternIran.jpg
    easternIran.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 94
Most of them are era appropriate. I couldn't decide in some cases what the suffix would be,so in some cities you can see the suffix -e (eg Meletene) and in some others -i (eg Alexandria Eschati) though they sound the same in Greek.

Cities ending in -e are resembling the Greek letter eta (η) which, generally, means that this object it is referring is female (eg the muse Melpomene).

As I said, -i sounds the same as -e in Greek, so I used it like this to show that the word with the suffix -i is an Adjective (eg Eschati = Farthest in Greek)

ps. After a bit of search Meletene should be Meletine according to this -> (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:polyeuctus_of_Meletine_in_Armenia_(Menologion_of_Basil_II).jpg)

Funan: start date claims 150 AD. Actual start date is 110 AD.

Also, Rome, Parthia had completely collapsed (from 320 BC start date). The Med was quite quiet...

Edit: Another Funan start: Rome & Parthia again collapsed. Their stability situation is pretty terrible atm.

The Kingdom of Aksum or Axum, also known as the Aksumite Empire, was an important trading nation in the area which is now Eritrea and northern Ethiopia, existing from approximately 100–940 AD
So why does the Kingdom of Axum spawn in 14 AD?

Funan: start date claims 150 AD. Actual start date is 110 AD.

Also, Rome, Parthia had completely collapsed (from 320 BC start date). The Med was quite quiet...

Edit: Another Funan start: Rome & Parthia again collapsed. Their stability situation is pretty terrible atm.

something is bugged because it shouldn't be possible for civs to completely collapse unless they are past their fall date or they are driven out of their core. a save from just before a collapse would be useful.

So why does the Kingdom of Axum spawn in 14 AD?

tbh I don't remember why I did that but my guess is that I found some research that indicated an earlier existence of the kingdom.

edit: I've noticed some cities flipping back to their former owners a few turns after being captured by barbs. I assume this is culture-related but I don't know why its happening in this mod since it doesn't seem to happen in others.

Not sure if it's fixed yet, but there's Adulis spawning somewhere in southern East Africa at around the Axumite spawn. Probably a remnant from the old smaller map.

Okay, I've updated the city name map with a lot of Dacian and Armenian names, as well as a corresponding Greek and Latin renames and redoing the Balkans somewhat.

Sitalkis, I'll get around to Persia and Central Asia... eventually.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    138.1 KB · Views: 55
something is bugged because it shouldn't be possible for civs to completely collapse unless they are past their fall date or they are driven out of their core. a save from just before a collapse would be useful.

tbh I don't remember why I did that but my guess is that I found some research that indicated an earlier existence of the kingdom.

edit: I've noticed some cities flipping back to their former owners a few turns after being captured by barbs. I assume this is culture-related but I don't know why its happening in this mod since it doesn't seem to happen in others.

I've had cities flip back to former owners after capture by barbs regularly.

I'll try to get a save from just before the collapse but it might take time to play through a game until Rome collapses.

EDIT

Looking through RiseAndFall.py, it seems to me that many of the conditional checking in stabilityCheck(...) should be delegated to other functions such as terminalCrisis(...), to enforce conditions more strictly and have easier to follow logic. atm I see how stabilityCheck(...) could be bug prone because there is an impressive number of if statements in it.

I just noticed that there are a couple of mistakes in my CityNameManager, so here's the fixed version.

Also, bumping these posts.

Charax Spasinou, 1N of the present Charax. It's right next to Charax's actual location (which would be 1E of the proposed location) without crowding Susa too much.

It seems I'm always missing commas. :p

Right now if you don't control your entire core your expansion penalty is automatically set to -4. This doesn't really make sense if you only don't control a tiny 1 pop city. So, I propose that if you control over 75% but less than 100% of the population of the cities in your core, you get a -1 malus to your expansion stability on top of the normal core vs. non-core population. If you control between 30% and 75% you get -2. If you control between 0% and 30% you get a -4 malus and if you lose your entire core your expansion penalty is set to -4 or even -5. This, in my opinion makes more sense than the flat rate of -4 no matter how much you don't control.

Attachments

• CityNameManager.txt
    138.1 KB · Views: 112
Looking through RiseAndFall.py, it seems to me that many of the conditional checking in stabilityCheck(...) should be delegated to other functions such as terminalCrisis(...), to enforce conditions more strictly and have easier to follow logic. atm I see how stabilityCheck(...) could be bug prone because there is an impressive number of if statements in it.

can you elaborate or give an example?

So good Maccabean&Axum UHV:thumbsup: i like to completed it

I look forward to see your results!

I look forward to see your results!
*Axum 299AD score 25618
Completed 2/3UHV in 148AD
*Judah 95AD score 21063
8Great Saint total, 6 spread Judaism in last turn for 34%, vassals - Axum, Dacia, Soba, Pandya, Pontus. Convert 8/17 civs to Judaism.

We crossposted, so I think you missed this, srpt.

I just noticed that there are a couple of mistakes in my CityNameManager, so here's the fixed version.

Also, bumping these posts.

Also, bumping this.

Not sure if it's fixed yet, but there's Adulis spawning somewhere in southern East Africa at around the Axumite spawn. Probably a remnant from the old smaller map.

Top Bottom