1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Epic/Marathon

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by embryodead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

A lot have changed, I have to re-merge the sdk and python etc. so definitely not this week.

2. Brew

Brew Chieftain

not the news I was hoping for, but thanks for the quick response

3. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Version 0.4 download link added. Changes are as follows:

- Updated the modmod to RFC 1.187
    - Increased unit training and research cost by 5% on Epic and 10% on Marathon
    - Increased Settler and Worker training cost on Marathon by 1/3
    - Fixed Roman UHV descriptions in Victory Screen

This version wasn't tested much in terms of balance but can be updated further if needed.

4. Brew

Brew Chieftain

Yesssssssssssssss!!!:D

5. smile286

smile286 Chieftain

Good mod.

However, on epic speed playing as Russia I got computer wins an UHV victory! Mali did it. Never seen this before; however, this happened only once, so lets not make final decisions about it.

But what disturbs me - unbalanced science. In my game rifles were available in the late 1600s!
    And so on...

I think, tech rate needs to be slowed down.

Update: Win an UHV victory as France. Well, just like I said, civs get techs very fast. All Europe entered the Industrial era in the mid of 17th century. :)

6. KaiserBenjamin

KaiserBenjamin Chieftain

Thanks for updating this. I've had a lot of fun playing through the classical age at a slow pace. The Persian UHV is a lot more fun when you don't feel quite so rushed.

I agree that the tech rate still needs to be slowed down.

7. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I keep slowing it down with every patch, but it should be more drastic I guess.

I'm mostly doing other stuff atm, so for anyone who wants to experiment with this, you only need to change ResearchPercent here:
    Assets/XML/GameInfo/CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

Current percentages are:
    Normal - 105 (RFC default)
    Epic - 165
    Marathon - 330

Normally Epic should be 157 and Marathon 315 but it became apparent earlier than RFC needs to be slowed down more than other mods, and 165/330 is not enough still. Matter of playing a few games with different value set each and finding the sweet spot.

8. Brew

Brew Chieftain

I found the xml file, but am not sure how to edit it. The microsoft "xml editor" doesn't actually allow me to edit it, and I tried doing it in notepad as I've seen modders talk about that program, but then I am unable to save the file after changing the research value. I get "Cannot create the ___________ file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct". I'm clearly modding illiterate, but I was planning on testing as many values as necessary to find the elusive "sweet spot". Please help me to help out. Much obliged.

9. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

The above looks like some Vista/7 file permissions problems, which I cannot help with. Windows Notepad should work fine, but you can try using Notepad++ which I also use, for syntax highlighting among other things.

EDIT: Also remember it's the Assets folder in Mods/RFCMarathon and not main BTS folder.

10. Brew

Brew Chieftain

Thanks - I think it was something with vista. I tried it on my pc which has xp and it worked fine. I did a test start as the Americans on marathon at 345. I thought it'd be overkill but it seemed fairly even; all euro civs were in the industrial era (most had physics) while England had steam and steel and the neth. had electricity. I'll have to play through once though to see how it progresses to that point. Thanks - I feel empowered!

11. smile286

smile286 Chieftain

<iResearchPercent>195</iResearchPercent> for Epic speed looks okay.

Maybe its still needs raising...

12. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Could you edit the permanent anarchy stability penalty down to a lower level. Because of the three turn minimal anarchy length in Marathon every anarchy results in 6 or more permanent stability point losses, discouraging me form ever changing governments because one change could lead to cities being lost later because of a major handicap form earlier in the game.

13. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Good call, I'll divide the penalty by 1.5 and 3 respectively.

14. Dalgaard

Dalgaard Chieftain

Mediolanum does not spawn on any speed.
    Judaism is not possible to get as indian, making it impossible to win UHV. This is the case on any speed.

15. Brew

Brew Chieftain

anyone know how I can go in and change the anarchy stability penalty myself? Thanks

16. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I don't have the Marathon files myself, but open Stability.py with Notepad or something and search for Anarchy. There is a value associated with one of those lines - try changing it.

17. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

It's the line with "edead: penalty scaling" comment, but it was fixed in the last patch. The value is divided by getTurns(1), which returns 1, 1.5 and 3 respectively.

18. Brew

Brew Chieftain

thanks - I'm working with an outdated version of Leoreth's mod which has version 0.3 of "Marathon". I'd also like to make the adjustments for the settler/worker build rate, but I'm having trouble finding this stuff; guess I just need to look harder.

19. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Try comparing the old and the new version of the file in question. Like with WinMerge (available for free).

20. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Only 2 minor things changed in 0.4, but comparison with winmerge etc. will be difficult considering 0.4 was updated to latest RFC and I believe DOC wasn't. Just copy the 2 lines from 0.4 to DOC, commented as "penalty scaling" in Stability.py (line 951/954), and then adjust the ResearchPercent values in CIV4GameSpeedInfo.XML.

@Dalgaard
    I haven't found the exact reason for this yet but I'll try again later, been mostly finishing a new mod I hope to post this weekend.