RFC Europe Files

*sigh*
Anything else named RFCE, RFC Europe, etc. has all been renamed or thrown away. I'm trying to keep backup files of the early stages of mod development in case we have to refer back to them, but they aren't anywhere near the civ folder, and all the pertinent ones have been renamed and checked via filesearch. The only files which come up are in the RFC Europe folder in BTS\Mods.

I'm trying to understand what you've just said. You want to keep backup files. No problem. Zip them into a new folder and save in My Documents. But then you say the "only files which come up are in the RFC Europe folder in BTS\Mods". You shouldn't even have such a folder in BTS\Mods. Delete that too. Just download the new test to BTS\Mods. That becomes the new folder. Try that.:)

I am not sure of the problem, anyone else experiencing problems?

Other than complete file purge (delete the folder) and reinstall (put the new folder in) I really don't know what else to tell you. I also keep a copy of every RFCE version that came out. You may want to try some of the previous ones to see if they crash too. If no one else is having a problem, there might be a general Civ IV problem. Keep us posted, this should be resolved so that you can keep on working on the map.

I am not sure of the problem, anyone else experiencing problems?

Other than complete file purge (delete the folder) and reinstall (put the new folder in) I really don't know what else to tell you. I also keep a copy of every RFCE version that came out. You may want to try some of the previous ones to see if they crash too. If no one else is having a problem, there might be a general Civ IV problem. Keep us posted, this should be resolved so that you can keep on working on the map.

No problem with me at all. I'm playing a good Arabia game now on the new version. As I suggested above, I think st. lucifer should delete the RFC Europe folder in BTS then install the new test version to Mods which then becomes the new RFC Europe folder. It works fine for me every time.

I will post a report in the test thread shortly. A couple of problems still need fixing.

Hey St. Lucifer,

Although I agree that the problem is most likely simply a silly error in your installation, I have a couple other suggestions:

First, download and run civchecker.pl from this thread. Missing art files can cause hard crashes. Perhaps some of the Charlemange art from your installation got accidentally deleted or corrupted. This problem will search through the mod for all art files and make sure they actually exist on your machine.

The output is hard to parse for critical vs. non-critical errors (there are many of the latter). I suggest you run it on your RFCEurope folder and then upload the resulting text file for me to take a look at. I use this program to check my modding work, so I know what to look for in the output.

Second, is your computer near the system requirements for BTS? It is possible that as we keep adding new art files to the mod it becomes a larger burden on old systems. I really don't think this should be the problem however -- especially since the latest update didn't add that much new art.

Hey St. Lucifer,

Although I agree that the problem is most likely simply a silly error in your installation, I have a couple other suggestions:

First, download and run civchecker.pl from this thread. Missing art files can cause hard crashes. Perhaps some of the Charlemange art from your installation got accidentally deleted or corrupted. This problem will search through the mod for all art files and make sure they actually exist on your machine.

The output is hard to parse for critical vs. non-critical errors (there are many of the latter). I suggest you run it on your RFCEurope folder and then upload the resulting text file for me to take a look at. I use this program to check my modding work, so I know what to look for in the output.

Second, is your computer near the system requirements for BTS? It is possible that as we keep adding new art files to the mod it becomes a larger burden on old systems. I really don't think this should be the problem however -- especially since the latest update didn't add that much new art.

Sedna, thanks for the tech support. I'm running it now, I'll PM you with the file. My computer's advanced enough, and has no trouble running BTS. Jessiecat, to clear up any confusion, I've been deleting everything before re-downloading and re-extracting the Nov. 13th file; the only way anything labeled RFCE or RFC Europe comes up is if I've just installed it. I clean, reboot, and check before retrying the installation; I'm not trying to replace existing files by overwriting them.

After running the check, I seem to have 4 missing art files. Do I need to reinstall BTS?

I'm trying to follow the instructions in civcheck for checking individual mod folders, opening the config file in notepad. I'm not sure how to edit the lines to make sure I'm checking the right mod, though. We'll see if this works after a few more iterations.

ed: seems to have worked. File attached.

Attachments

• civcheck.txt
    442.9 KB · Views: 143
Those four missing art files aren't the problem. They look pretty much like the "normal" errors I always get when I run this program.

MissingArt: Art/Units/Selection Effect/Selection_Above.nif
Used: charlemagne art/civ4artdefines_misc.xml at line 146
MissingArt: Art/Units/Selection Effect/Selection_Above.kfm
Used: charlemagne art/civ4artdefines_misc.xml at line 147
MissingArt: Art/Units/Flag/Mediallion.nif
Used: charlemagne art/civ4artdefines_misc.xml at line 153
MissingArt: Art/Interface\Buttons\WorldBuilder\Terrain_Peak.dds
Used: RFCEurope terrain/civ4terraininfos.xml at line 1105

I'm interested in this line though

Code:
UndefinedSymbol: TECH_ART
   Used: RFCEurope gameinfo/civ4processinfo.xml at line 37

This is saying that the "Build Culture" command requires the tech art and can't find where it is defined in your version of RFCEurope.

I won't have access to my Civ computer until later tonight, so I can't verify that I don't also get this error, but it seems strange and could be causing a crash. Most undefined-symbols are harmless, but this one might not be.

RFCEurope/Assets/XML/Technologies/CIV4TechInfos.xml should contain a tag for TECH_ART, so Civ should be able to find it... There should be a little section like this in that file:

Code:
<TechInfo><!--ART-->
	<Type>TECH_ART</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_ART</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_ART_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
	<Help/>

Hmmm... while you're checking out that folder to make sure that that file is there, please delete "NewList.txt". This is a temporary file I created while transplanting the techs into Python. It _should_ be completely harmless, but it might look like a badly formed xml file to some reader. I really hope that's not the problem.

One other question: XP or Vista?

I can't download Nov13, Rapidshare claims I am already downloading a file...
question 1: can't it be uploaded on civfanatics DB ?
question 2: I actually only wanted to see a list of units and techs that enable them so that I can make a list of starting units for civs. Maybe someone can just attach the units XML file ?

RFCEurope/Assets/XML/Technologies/CIV4TechInfos.xml should contain a tag for TECH_ART, so Civ should be able to find it... There should be a little section like this in that file:

Code:
<TechInfo><!--ART-->
	<Type>TECH_ART</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_ART</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_ART_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
	<Help/>

Those files do appear to be in the XML, in the order you listed.

Hmmm... while you're checking out that folder to make sure that that file is there, please delete "NewList.txt". This is a temporary file I created while transplanting the techs into Python. It _should_ be completely harmless, but it might look like a badly formed xml file to some reader. I really hope that's not the problem.

One other question: XP or Vista?

Deleted NewList.txt. Trying again...nope, still crashes on launch. I'm running XP.

I'm going to try starting over again in a few hours, when I get home and have a chance to play around with it. Thanks for the help.

St.Lucifer, you get a Windows crash or a Civ4 crash ? If it's any problem with XML or the game configurations, you should only get a Civ4 crash and it should tell you exactly what file is the problem.
If you get a Windows crash, there is something odd. Does RFC run ? If not, reinstall the the whole game.

edit: I just read your other comment in #20... I'm a bit puzzled then. If it was an error in Python or XML the game would tell you what it is...

Sorry St. Lucifer, I'm out of ideas now. I think a civ re-install should fix the problem, but I know that's kind of a hassle.

@Onedreamer: Here is the units xml file from the Nov13 file.

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.xml.zip
    15.9 KB · Views: 292
The RFCE files are too big to put in as an attachment and I don't know what privileges I need to post the files otherwise.

yeah I see. Anyways now rapidshare says that the limit for downloads was reached. Thanks Sedna.

St.Lucifer, you get a Windows crash or a Civ4 crash ? If it's any problem with XML or the game configurations, you should only get a Civ4 crash and it should tell you exactly what file is the problem.
If you get a Windows crash, there is something odd. Does RFC run ? If not, reinstall the the whole game.

edit: I just read your other comment in #20... I'm a bit puzzled then. If it was an error in Python or XML the game would tell you what it is...

Civ4 crashes to desktop upon the error. The error file in detailed form is meaningless to me - there are 71 modules and then there's a whole bunch of code that I can't follow. It won't let me save the error file to attach here, so that's out, but the game itself isn't telling me anything I can understand.

The game loads up past Init engine to Init fonts (something I can't read), moves to a black screen, and then crashes to desktop.

Standard BTS and RFC load just fine.

I'm going to try one more reload from the Nov. 13th archive, and then I'll admit defeat and reinstall BTS.

do you have the res folder in Assets ?

I'm unable to dl from rapidshare :(

Thanks 3Miro, I'm downloading from Filefront right now. Rapidshare would always claim I was already downloading a file...

Reinstalled and patched BTS....and the same thing happens. I don't want to interpret this a sign of divine displeasure, but short of removing all civ-related files and reinstalling them again, I'm not sure what I can do that's likely to improve things. As far as I know, I'm using the same files as everyone else with the same version of civ4 and BTS, and my computer's in good shape and capable of running the other versions of the game without crashing. It seems as though RFC Europe crashes to desktop as it tries to load the intro screen or possibly an intro movie; it doesn't matter whether I load it externally through a shortcut, or through the BTS engine.

Sorry to keep asking for help on this, but my usefulness is limited as long as I can't get the program open. I could put a bunch of flags on an older copy of the map, as update directions, but that would be really tedious for someone else to put in.

Top Bottom