RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Do we want to revisit the idea of having more than one independent civ, to prevent the massive accumulations of power that Cornelio's documented in that screenshot? RFC uses more than one independent in part to get around this issue, as independents build stuff, gain techs, etc, like any other civ.

We had initially talked about splitting the map into different types of independent - Celtic, Germanic, Slavic, etc - but decided against it due to loading times, right? Do the optimizations of the code that have been suggested make up for that difference? Is it viable or advisable to return to the idea of having multiple independents?

Played as Norse until 1200's on Nov 10 version. Leaving aside the previously mentioned stabilty issues, here are some observations.

1. At present I think the 1st UHV condition for the Norse is impossible due to the severe lack of production available. 3 cities in GB is too much without slavery IMO

2. I think there needs to be more Iron on the map- too few civs get access at the moment

3. Burgundy and Frankia have been at war constantly in every game ive played

4. V. powerful independent states need to be dealt with. I would agree with St. Lucifer in post 41

5. English map needs the changes Cornelio had made in the map thread

6. Some settler maps need work- Genoa found Cumae, Bulgaria founds Pathragarda

7. Too many civs are vassalizing straight after spawning- I guess this will change when starting techs and units are added to the game

8. Not tried Al-Andalus yet, but I cant see Cordoba ever becoming the biggest city for that UHV- esp. not with the city sites available to Kiev

9. Why is the forbidden palace in the Mod? Is that not in Beijing?

10. Norse have ended up Islamic in every game ive had. It spread to Aarhus in around 1000AD in my latest game

Playing my own Norse test game, i added some food and metals in the area, making the civ more productive.

My question is with the third condition. What constitutes a water tile? All the little lakes in Russia for instance?

Playing as the Norse, accomplished first 2 UHV conditions, yet didn't get a golden age.

I think I can some work in the Italian civs settler maps, just tell me how it is done, and that it does not need any sort of programming

Do we want to revisit the idea of having more than one independent civ, to prevent the massive accumulations of power that Cornelio's documented in that screenshot? RFC uses more than one independent in part to get around this issue, as independents build stuff, gain techs, etc, like any other civ.

We had initially talked about splitting the map into different types of independent - Celtic, Germanic, Slavic, etc - but decided against it due to loading times, right? Do the optimizations of the code that have been suggested make up for that difference? Is it viable or advisable to return to the idea of having multiple independents?

Nope, we decided against Slavic/Germanic independents because of concentration of power. Slavic Indeps can only be one nation, hence if an Eastern European nation collapses, it would simply become a single powerful independent nation. If two collapse they would both become one nation, it makes no sense.

We have simply independent1 and independents2 (two independent players), there is part of the code that shuffles cities around trying to ensure that one indy doesn't have many more cities than the other indy, but I guess with too many cities on the map, this may not work properly. We may add a third independent player (if it gets too much), but that would be for later since adding an independent player is actually harder than adding a playable nation.

I will think about it.

Playing as the Norse, accomplished first 2 UHV conditions, yet didn't get a golden age.

Currently you do not get GA from 2 UHVs, that would be fixed.

Also, to be honest, I don't know what constitutes water. It should be all of North Sea, Atlantic, Mediterranean, Aegean, Dalmatia, Black Sea and I am pretty sure the small part of Red Sea. That last one would probably have to be excluded.

I think I can some work in the Italian civs settler maps, just tell me how it is done, and that it does not need any sort of programming

Do you mean settlers map or city name map, can you code it you don't know how to code it. I think we are set on the maps for now, sedna17 has done a pretty good job on the maps.

Do you mean settlers map or city name map, can you code it you don't know how to code it. I think we are set on the maps for now, sedna17 has done a pretty good job on the maps.

City name maps:rolleyes:

Getting access to the Red Sea would require getting open borders with the Arabs, or being at war with them and landing troops.

I wanted my GA, so I opened WB gave myself 2 GP and the Arch :)

Related to the superpowerful independents, I played again last night as Genoa, and after avoiding an initial onslaught, later in the game I was quite literally surrounded by them, making trade and expansion of religion difficult. It leaves you with the only option to be to raze all the independent cities you can. Not quite sure what the solution is, perhaps just beefing up the stability of all the civs would help, in particular tuning down stability penalties for expansion.

New version is out: I just disabled stability for now. I will figure how to fix it and then I will post again. BtW on the old version (Nov 10) you can play reasonably well by using serfdom (lots of food) and trying to keep the cities from overgrowing (that really kills stability).

Have just been playing as Burgundy in the new version and I've noticed a fault. The first UHV condition is to control the Rhine valley in 1200AD. As you can see its 1203 and I clearly control all the river squares on both banks but it's telling me I have failed the first UHV. So what's up?

Control UHVs are based upon squares. I picked a rectangle that somewhat covered all of Rhine, but I guess I have covered something outside.

Either the city on the top left corner ( can't quite make out the name ) is part of the rectangle and messes things up or there is a more serious bug. Send me a savegame (around the turn you posted) and I will fix it.

Control UHVs are based upon squares. I picked a rectangle that somewhat covered all of Rhine, but I guess I have covered something outside.

Either the city on the top left corner ( can't quite make out the name ) is part of the rectangle and messes things up or there is a more serious bug. Send me a savegame (around the turn you posted) and I will fix it.

OK. Here is the auto-save, 1 turn before that. ie 1200AD. I think the problem lies with Brussels. Maybe the rectangle takes in the 2 tiles south of it. I've only just captured it and its cultural boundaries haven't expanded enough yet.

What may I ask is the purpose of the Religious Prosecutor? I built one, but he doesnt seem to do anything (even when in foreign cities)

The prosecutor removes non-state religion from your own cities. Move him to a city and add a religion different from your own, then you should get an Icon that says "do prosecution" or something.

Ah, that makes sense. Of course I have no non-state religion, so nothing for the poor guy to do!

How do we trade techs? I also notice there is no currency or trade of gold.

I played Burgundy in the latest test version and I had a problem.

Germany spawned and claimed my city Mayence, I refused and attacked them and destroyed them in 1 turn. But after that Germany kept claiming my units. It had no cities or units left, I know for sure. So I ened up with no army and a germany with a strong army but no cities...

Another thing is, I think Germany should start with lets say: 4 axe or swordsmen. Because just 4 warriors are eaten like cake by Burgundy and France.

Top Bottom