1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Both savegames don't cause a crash for me on Windows 7.

2. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Well, I have Windows 8, which is notorious for causing games to crash. My old computer rarely crashed while playing Civ4, but runs games quite a bit slower than my current computer.
    EDIT: I fixed it by adding Civ4 to the programs that are granted full access to my computer. :D

3. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

4. PinkPallin

PinkPallin Chieftain Supporter

I tried the Ferdinand game in Windows 10, running BtS in Windows 7 compatibility mode, and it didn't crash.
    Maybe the solution to CTDs is simply asking the player to set BtS this way - it shouldn't affect the other mods, I think.

5. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I found the problem. I will upload the fix when Absinthe has committed his upcoming changes.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Cool, than I dont have to look into it :)
    Still got some WIP stuff, but I will upload the changes I already somewhat tested to the SVN tonight
    No need to tease the players anymore after all the waiting :)

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I also had experienced less CTDs recently, and I think I even managed to fix some issues in the past few days.
    Furthermore as I already stated last summer, the main problem with the most common CTD was that it tried to access memory cells it wasn't supposed to, which easily has something to do with the OS itself, memory handling, and various drivers.

I'm fairly certain that all the new stuff (civs, leaders, and whatnot) had nothing to do with the increased number of CTDs. Apart from the fact that additional art and data made it more apparent, but it wasn't because some coding mistakes.

Anyway, it's awesome news if the mods seems more stable on some more recent windows versions :king:
    Do you mind doing some more tests? I have some various CTD savegames lying around, and I'm really curious if there is a difference for you when you try to run them differently.

8. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

What exactly did you do?

9. PinkPallin

PinkPallin Chieftain Supporter

My pc has an AMD A10-7700K apu with integrated Radeon R7 graphics, no other graphic card, 16 GB ram, clean Windows 10 Pro fully updated.
    I run a VMWare Player 12 virtual machine with 2 processors and 6 GB ram, clean Windows 10 Pro fully updated, dedicated only to games.
    In this virtual machine I installed (run as administrator) Civ 4 Vanilla, Warlords and Beyond the Sword. Patched BtS to 3.19. Then right clicking on Civ4BeyondSword.exe I went to Properties and in the Compatibility tab I chose Run in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

Sorry for being so didactic, I never know if I'm clear enough.

10. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Thanks - I was really looking for the last statement. Let's see if it works.
    But one can never be too clear or exact. ;)

11. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

It did work, my save isn't crashing anymore. Thanks!

12. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Getting a CTD on this save (yes, it's a continuation of the last one I posted).

Attached Files:

13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

It doesn't crash for me. Here is a save 1 turn later. (Copenhagen and Eisvoll finished production. You should change their production)

14. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

I noticed the start times were still based on fives, so I ran a couple of load times and averaged the beginning civilization starts. I'm just picky that way. On my computer there was a range of ten to twenty seconds or so as the start times grew longer. Rounded up or down if within twenty seconds of a single minute.

Arabs 1 minute
    Bulgaria 1 minute
    Cordoba 2 minutes - consistently 1:28
    Venice 3 minutes
    Burgundy 3 minutes
    Germans 3 minutes
    Novgorod 4 minutes (rounded up)
    Norway 4 minutes (rounded up)
    Kiev 4 minutes
    Hungary 4 minutes
    Spanish 4 minutes
    Denmark 5 minutes
    Scotland 6 minutes
    Poland 6 minutes
    Genoa 8 minutes
    Moroccans 9 minutes
    English 11 minutes

Also, Bulgaria starts with orthodoxy as its state religion and the civic paganism.

15. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Hmm, so it seems that switching out of Windows 7 compatibility mode and back into Windows 10 resolved the crash...

16. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

ill do that start up test on my laptop, to represent the players with a "weak" machine too. will post results soon.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

You have a good machine I guess, they are signifcantly slower for me on my modding laptop :)
    We can set those values to whatever you guys tell us to, but it would be good to see how fast is it for some other players, and find the mean value for them

Maybe the Bulgarian setup would be best if they started without missionaries or state religion, and with the pagaism civic.
    More historical that way, also leaves more freedom to the player which path to follow.
    Even though orthodoxy is required for an UHVictory, there is plenty of time to switch if you want to go for it. You won't really start to accumulate faith points until you establish the basic infrastructure.

EDIt:
    Cool, thanks

18. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

ok here is my result, tho i was a bit lazy to do all:

arabia 1.25
    bulgaria 2.10
    cordoba 2.50
    venetians 4.45 and -1 turn appeared
    hungary 7.10 they should've start with farries and militarism imo
    genoans 14.20
    english 18.40

but the point is clear how those times goes up.

19. Sergey Rafirudov

Sergey Rafirudov Chieftain

Sometimes the game won't ask me if I wanted to switch to a rising civilization or not. I played as the Poles waiting for the Lithuanians to surface and then I saw Vilnius being founded without receiving any notifications. Other times it is a nuisance trying not to press Yes and lose everything I've done. I wish there were a button to switch on/off about this.

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yeah, that functionality has some issues.
    There are hardcoded rules to not be able to switch to any other civ within the first x turns (30?) of your play.
    Not sure why you weren't able to do it with Poland -> Lithuania, that's almost 100 turns, that should be possible.

Not a bad idea to add a setting for the whole thing.
    Will look into it how could that be solved.