RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Not sure if this the best thread for this, but a question: Now that the AIs don't go for their UHVs any more, is it still necessary to have that column of "0/3"s in the scoreboard?

I think they used to, in the long long ago. I remember when I first started playing RFCE some of the AI would have 1/3 or maybe 2/3 done, but I'm not sure if they were actually striving for the UHV itself- or if it just happened because the way their warmaps were coded meant they kinda stumbled into it.

Sometime after I got into the mod, it was changed so the AI don't go for UHVs any more, and now their counters are always 0/3 for the whole game. It's not exactly a huge deal, it just seems like a bit of wasted space.

Actually noone ever coded any AI civs to directly go for UHVs, for any of the RFC-type mods.
It happens sometimes that they manage to get a couple of them though, if the UHVs themselves are AI-friendly.
Even saw some games where an AI civ won an UHV victory, it was quite cool :)

What you are thinking of is that in RFCE we have a setting for the AI civs UHV checks.
If it's turned off, the game will only check for the human players UHV triggers, which can somewhat improve performance of the mod, mostly AI turn times.
Btw, currently it's on by default, so it's possible for the AI civs too to have 1/3 or 2/3 on the scoreboard.

EDIT: If anyone wants to switch it off: it's simply a 0 to 1 change in the GlobalDefines_Alt.xml file:
Code:
    <Define>
        <!-- set to 1 if you want to disable UHV goals for AI civilizations (increases speed if they are only checked for the human player) -->
        <!-- note that this only works when starting new games, won't affect savegames neither on enabling nor on disabling the checks -->
        <DefineName>NO_AI_UHV_CHECKS</DefineName>
        <iDefineIntVal>0</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

Last edited:
Maybe just show it when an AI achieves a goal or more. For example, it is imaginable that Hungary achieves all of its UHV goals by chance and the player loses that way. This should be a possibility imo because in this mod the player is able to prevent that from happening.

Maybe just show it when an AI achieves a goal or more. For example, it is imaginable that Hungary achieves all of its UHV goals by chance and the player loses that way. This should be a possibility imo because in this mod the player is able to prevent that from happening.
The scoreboard could use some improvements. But I'm not sure about removing the UHV counter.. is it too disturbing, or does it take up too much space?
What I definitely want to include is to show tech icons instead of their name, when you have enough espionage points against a civ to be able to see it's research.

@ Absinthe

What do you think of including Platybuilder? I greatly improves the utility of the worldbuilder. I know RFCE has some custom WB features, but those can be brought over. I made some custom RFC WB tools for DoC which would also be useful for RFCE. But those are based on Platybuilder.

thát would solve my ráze problem :D
If I remember correctly, ÁIs uhv checks were turned off, by defáult, like 1-2 yeárs ágo. ánd it never were turned on. regárdless, i never experienced ány ÁI uhv in the lást few yeárs. (i did before)

Is it possible to get rid of the -1 "You declared war on our friend!" from fellow Catholics because I was chosen as crusade leader? I know as far as the game is concerned, I DoW'd Arabia, but it seems unrealistic for Scotland to be upset with me about that.

@ Absinthe

What do you think of including Platybuilder? I greatly improves the utility of the worldbuilder. I know RFCE has some custom WB features, but those can be brought over. I made some custom RFC WB tools for DoC which would also be useful for RFCE. But those are based on Platybuilder.
I was also playing around with the idea of including it in RFCE for a couple times.
Platybuilder has many advantages, but all the mod-specific features we have in RFCE are way more important.
Didn't look into it in detail, not yet sure how much extra work would be to include each of those in Platybuilder perfectly.

From my experience with including custom DoC features in platybuilder, it isn't very hard to include custom features. Especially because the features I included in Doc are similar to the unique RFCE WB features.

All RFCE features are in the "Reveal Tile Mode", right? Or are there more RFCE features in the WB elsewhere?

From my experience with including custom DoC features in platybuilder, it isn't very hard to include custom features. Especially because the features I included in Doc are similar to the unique RFCE WB features.

All RFCE features are in the "Reveal Tile Mode", right? Or are there more RFCE features in the WB elsewhere?
The City Name Maps are under Signs

I see. Shouldn't be a problem either to include that as well.

I'll start a branch soon so I can work on it without interfering with your work. This allows me to work on it and split the progress into multiple commits. Merging the branch when it is finished will make sure there is no main mod version which does not have all features available. Merging will not be a huge problem because I will mainly work in new files, so I don't expect conflicting files.

I'll start a branch soon so I can work on it without interfering with your work. This allows me to work on it and split the progress into multiple commits. Merging the branch when it is finished will make sure there is no main mod version which does not have all features available. Merging will not be a huge problem because I will mainly work in new files, so I don't expect conflicting files.
Sounds great!

I did very few plays recently, but still found some strange things, minors though.

1-2, france arrived with crusade and took jerusalem. then next turn rebel was gone and they had lost of culture there.... how?
3, as kiev, aibar was empty, then a horse archer appeared from nothing and took it. can barbs spawn on crimea?
4, for fun: as france, irish barbs were shipped to newly found Bayonne i guess from ireland. This never happened before, I was so much amused, that did not reloaded it :)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 214
Well, for the first one, Arabs respawned, and they presumably had a lot of culture built up in Jerusalem beforehand. That's still a lot though...

1-2, france arrived with crusade and took jerusalem. then next turn rebel was gone and they had lost of culture there.... how?
Well, for the first one, Arabs respawned, and they presumably had a lot of culture built up in Jerusalem beforehand. That's still a lot though...
Yeah, that's the same problem with culture mechanics as before: when the city flipped to indies, all the French culture in the city was converted to the new indy civ. They got some minor culture on (re)conquest, that's why they have 1% instead of 0. The Arabs don't have 65.000 culture there for sure.
That's a vanilla RFC mechanics btw. At least it was implemented this way in RFCE from the very beginning.
I agree that it's way too annoying in some cases, especially when there are cities seceding from a long-held territory, which you intend to conquer back ASAP.
Maybe I should move up the culture updates on my todo list...
3, as kiev, aibar was empty, then a horse archer appeared from nothing and took it. can barbs spawn on crimea?
Sure they can. The strait near Kercs is not that wide, so I guess it was quite historic.
You shouldn't feel safe there without any defences.
4, for fun: as france, irish barbs were shipped to newly found Bayonne i guess from ireland.
Nice! :)
This never happened before, I was so much amused, that did not reloaded it :)
Wait, you need a bad event that happens to your civ to be this unique in order to continue your game with it?
If they were simply Vikings, than bleh, reload?

Wait, you need a bad event that happens to your civ to be this unique in order to continue your game with it?
If they were simply Vikings, than bleh, reload?

Sometimes if something very unlikely event happened, i used to reload it from autosave, to get rid of it. But this events was so funny, that i allowed myself to lose a settler. anyway with france its not that big deal.

Top Bottom