RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

yo yo yo!!! :D guess who finally had time to try the (in)famous RFC Europe?? :lol::lol:

1.5 was the version I tried out. Having moved on to more "modern" games such as CK2 and EU4, I must say I really, REALLY miss some features in RFC!! Unique culture features, defensive unit combat bonuses, open borders, actual consequences for being a warmonger, etc etc. The game has changed so much since 6-7 years ago!

Now of course, time for some actual feedback :lol:

1) Situational spawns!!! Unfortunately the main reason I stopped RFC:E in the first place all those years ago, and its still in the game. Nothing quite like controlling all of Netherlands, with everyone there of your culture... AND THEN DUTCH PEOPLE SPAWN IN YOUR BACKYARD. WTF. LOL. Immersion breaking 10/10

I believe Absinthe mentioned few months ago that it's not hard to code (but he doesn't want to for some reason). Well, hopefully someone kind enough point me to a mod that does this, or better still tell me what to do to fix this, cos otherwise no matter what you do the world will still always turn out the way it did IRL. Your impact changes nothing really!

2) Shia and Sunni denominations. Quite surprised to see this not in the game, since RFC:E covers a long stretch of time, I'm sure both denominations are present in the time period of the game. This would give the Muslim side of the map a bit more... politics, hopefully!

There you have it! My humble feedback, 6-7 years after my last one LAWLL would love to have more to say, but then I'll have to play more first hurhur :D

1) Situational spawns!!! Unfortunately the main reason I stopped RFC:E in the first place all those years ago, and its still in the game. Nothing quite like controlling all of Netherlands, with everyone there of your culture... AND THEN DUTCH PEOPLE SPAWN IN YOUR BACKYARD. WTF. LOL. Immersion breaking 10/10

I believe Absinthe mentioned few months ago that it's not hard to code (but he doesn't want to for some reason). Well, hopefully someone kind enough point me to a mod that does this, or better still tell me what to do to fix this, cos otherwise no matter what you do the world will still always turn out the way it did IRL. Your impact changes nothing really!
Yeah, technically it's not that hard to improve/change the current spawn system if you know your way around the code.
On the other hand, gameplay-wise it's far from being obvious what would the best solution.
Conditional spawns would be preferred by most people here?

Yeah, technically it's not that hard to improve/change the current spawn system if you know your way around the code.
On the other hand, gameplay-wise it's far from being obvious what would the best solution.
Conditional spawns would be preferred by most people here?

100% prefer it, yes :lol::lol:

Technically an option to toggle on/off situational spawn is the best option here. Is Civ 4 engine advanced enough to allow the player this choice?

Personally, I don't really like conditional spawns, unless you have one civ clearly being a continuation (of sorts) of the other (like Greece/Byzantium in DoC, or Fatimids/Ayyubids in SoI) where it really wouldn't make any sense at all. Even the Italian conditional spawn always bothered me in DoC - I like seeing all the civs rise up.

A good compromise for a civ like the Dutch might be the "invasion" spawn as was mentioned for Sicily in this mod and is used for the Seljuks in DoC. Have Dutch "freedom fighters" spawn in 1580 if you reject their independence but don't have the cities automatically flip or have your armies flip to them. That way there's a challenge but it's a surmountable one.

Recently started a Russia game and wanted to share a few notes:

For the new city founding where cities are founded closer together with more frequency (fewer tiles apart aspect) Is it possible to only apply that to certain civs? Not sure if that is possible though. I don't think morocco or Novgorod need to place so many cities at the fringes of the map which slows down gameplay. There's also some city placements that aren't so good because of this.

Also their start time is listed as 20 minutes... Not sure who has a fast computer(not me) but it took a solid 35-40 minutes to load I think. Not a big issue though.

Would there be any benefit to a ceding city or a collapsing civ to have their cities turn barbarian instead on independent? (That would make an interesting Golden Horde UP...) It wouldn't be good for every civ. Mainly those along the edge of the map (Morocco, Russia, Kiev, etc).

Pretty sure most other things have already been discussed before.

It wasn't that super important link, about Europe's borders throughout time. I thought it is nice to see it. But i could not find the video on the web only on fb. :(
Conditional spawn could fit mostly as it is, as respawn. But handling the Dutch spawn is super easy with any possible nation (france, germany, spain, england ect) they might get the flip + 10 turns of ultimate peace, or more...idk
I agree with Baron about the city density in east europe. also morocco build cities on crazy spots, about 4-7 plus useless towns.

Playing a Scotland game on latest SVN:

Auld Alliance UHV was fine, I made it by 1450 IIRC.

UHV 3 just feels like it takes a long time coming. Around the time you make UHV 2 you’re ready to crush England (if not sooner) so then you can just wait on Britain until 1680, send over a huge army in 1690 and hold Bretagne for one or two turns. This is a very gamey solution, though, so maybe the date for UHV 3 could be made earlier so it’s more of a race against time?

Overall Scotland is still a fun game though!

EDIT: Also want to point out that the Scottish UP essentially works as a free army draft. Get involved in a European war, take one city, peace out and return it and BAM! Free units in every city!

Last edited:
Played the 1200 scenario as Spain. Is Islam in Cordoba supposed to be difficult to be removed? Because I had to WB like 40 inquisitors to remove it. Most cities took three inquisitors at most.

Played the 1200 scenario as Spain. Is Islam in Cordoba supposed to be difficult to be removed? Because I had to WB like 40 inquisitors to remove it. Most cities took three inquisitors at most.

Sound about right historically :p

I mean, it *literally* took that many inquisitors to remove it although you can only have three of them at once, even when I had done that in other parts of the Iberian peninsula.

Screenshot_1.jpg
The screenshot is taken before the turn when rebels conquer Jerusalem. I receive a message about a new crusade and I agree to participate in it but right that turn it appears that I am able to retake the city with the selected armor lancer due to heavy casualties from their side. Jerusalem is mine again but units leave for a crusade anyway (I was chosen as a leader again), and after that nothing happens: neither arrival of an army nor returning of relics.
Attached savegame is in on same turn as the screenshot.

Attachments

• Charlemagne AD-1104 Turn 168.CivBeyondSwordSave
    584.2 KB · Views: 93
If you own Jerusalem long enough and then lose it, the pope calls a crusade. If you capture the city BEFORE the crusade arrives, that instantly cancels the arriving armies. Since you fullfilled the goal of that crusade.
I suggest to reload and wait. But you dont need to keep the city, just make sure you controll the last one and keep the city by deadline.

Is there a guide for France?

I can found cities on my core provinces but I can't get to conquer or build all the cities I need on time.

With axemen, mercenaries and my starting army it's a piece of cake to conquer Normandy, Brittany and Provence, but I can't get to southern Germany and Italy on time.

I'd also like to know what technologies to research.

If you own Jerusalem long enough and then lose it, the pope calls a crusade. If you capture the city BEFORE the crusade arrives, that instantly cancels the arriving armies. Since you fullfilled the goal of that crusade.
I suggest to reload and wait. But you dont need to keep the city, just make sure you controll the last one and keep the city by deadline.
I had no problem after that, I just thought that it is a bug.

Is there a guide for France?

I can found cities on my core provinces but I can't get to conquer or build all the cities I need on time.

With axemen, mercenaries and my starting army it's a piece of cake to conquer Normandy, Brittany and Provence, but I can't get to southern Germany and Italy on time.

I'd also like to know what technologies to research.
You should mostly rely on mounted sergeants which are available almost from the beginning: research stirrup right after manorialism.and calendar. Chain mail is needed as early as possible to build enough swordsmen to conquer Augsburg (last game I captured it with two swordsmen and two heavily promoted mounted sergeants after several turns of pillaging).
You need to found only 3 cities in Picardy, Lorraine and Saxony (last game I have found them in 660, 804, and 836). Build settlers in a most productive city. It is better to start from Picardy as early as possible because you need to build walls there by that time when vikings will attack you.
I use axemen from the starting army only to defend core lands from pillaging.

Last edited:
You get 3 settlers. 2 builds axe/sword and the 3. Builds settlers.
Theoretically you need only 2 settlers, all the rest can be conquered. Picardy indy city spawns at 800 AD with 2 crossbows and you have to wait a few turn to grow size 2. Initial army takes caen asap and short after bretange.
The two military city must be next to iron and build the mines asap. As tech you only need mano, calendar and chain. After those you will run on pretty low sience.
I advise to go for italy early on. And emphasis on roads with workers. Sometimes you can hire a good merc too.
I find swords more reliable then MS. And less healing downtime.

Ismail ibn Sharif is bugged.

Sometimes my game crashes to desktop just by him appearing to tell me to join a war or cancel deals with someone.

Top Bottom