[RFC RAND] The peoples of the Persian plain

IX. The Timurids and the Eastern War

Court record of proceedings at the Supreme Military Tribunal, 20 Farvardin 1212 (1397 AD)

Spoiler :
Supreme Military Tribunal
Presiding: His Excellency Miran Shah, Commander of the Parsa Division and Deputy of Supreme Commander Timur Gurkani
Accused: Nasir Tughluq, former commander of the Indus Horsemen regiment
Charges: Insubordination of the Chain of Command, Espionage, Offering Material Aid to the Enemy, Treason
Verdict: Guilty
Commentary: While commander of the Indus Horsemen at the completion of the Arabian campaign at al-Basrah, Nasir Tughluq defied clear orders to return with his regiment to Dilli, remaining in the borderlands of the Chittagong. There he supplied misinformation to the commander of the 2nd Infantry, to the effect that the Arabs were planning an assault of the city of Chittagong, and that the Kartid ruler Ghiyas had instructed them to capture the city themselves. He was in possession of a letter from a Chinese spy that proves his collusion and deceit: the letter confirms that it was the Chinese army that was planning an attack on the city, and promises Chinese assistance in Nasir Tughluq's plans to stage a revolt in Dilli and Lahore and set up an Indian state. Thus, Nasir Tughluq's task was to weaken the defenses of Chittagong to further Chinese and his own treasonous ends.
Sentence: Execution by horse-quartering. In addition, the Indus Horsemen and 2nd Infantry regiments will be redeployed to Pathragada.

1396-1409 Timur Gurkani

The death of the ruler immediately following the treaty with Arabia caused much confusion in the ranks of the military, still making its way back from the borderlands in the south. The exact events are unclear, but records suggest that some regiments continued their attacks southwards into the territory of the independent principality of Chittagong. Whether the intention was merely looting or, as the new regime claimed, collusion with the Chinese and an Indian revolt, remains unknown. (It is known that the new Timurid regime, as their ancestral lands in Oxiana were under increasing Chinese influence, were looking for a casus belli on China, and that the Chinese did capture Chittagong in the following decades.) The commander Nasir Tughluq was executed in Parsa, the Indian regiments were moved to the north where they could be better observed.

The Chittagong Incident

Timur Gurkani consolidated his control in 1396, when his son, Miran Shah, invited the remaining princes of the Kartid dynasty to a banquet, ostensibly to seek a power-sharing agreement, and slew them when they had gathered in the room. No other clans or regional rulers questioned the Timurids rule therafter.

By 1400, the plague had spread to Parsa, but it was eradicated there and in Ectabana only five years later and did not spread further save for an outbreak in Armuza from 1405 to 1415, thanks to the Persian civilisation's advances in medicine, carried out by apothecaries across the land.

Trade continued to expand with the Satrapy of Russia, in spite of the Russians unease about the recent coup in Parsa. Horses were driven northwards in return for silver, deer, fur, and a regular tribute of 2 toman (20,000 dinar). The trade was expanded further in 1425: pig for greater imports of fur and deer. Persia was now monopolising the trade with Russia, partly due to the fact that Russia's other neighbours, the Germans and Mongols, were deeply hostile to the Persian empire.

Russian trade expansion
Spoiler :

1409-1449 Mirza Taregh (also known as Ulugh Beg)

Mirza Taregh, although a steely warrior, was also a scientifically curious and an advocate of public learning. Taking advantage of recent advances in education, he directed that a university be opened in Armuza, and also that the empire's scientists work towards advances in optics so that an observatory might eventually be built. He also encouraged the sharing of learning with Japan, where presses had been developed that could reproduce the written word in large volume. The word of these advances travelled throughout the world, and in 1435, an Arabian diplomat demanded, unsuccessfully, that a Persian delegation travel back to Arabia to help establish schools of higher learning there, in return for the moneys they were already paying yearly to the Persian treasury.

Academic exchanges with Japan
Spoiler :

In 1425, scouts reported that a Chinese army had landed to the south, and was laying siege to Chittagong. The Military Council argued strongly that this was the time to strike the Chinese empire, as the ravages of plague had reduced their garrisons. Taregh took their advice and fulfilled his father's ambition to go to war with the the empire to the east. The ever-threatening Mongols declared war soon after they heard of the war to their south, sensing that Persia would be at its most vulnerable.

The declaration of war on China

As the declaration of war was made without having prepared adequate siege engines, the first regiments of horsemen pillaged the countryside and enslaved its workers. However, as it appeared the plague had left the city of Luoyang, the generals made a bold decision to attack the city directly with horsemen, by circling the city, confusing the defenders, and then battering their way through a temporarily undefended gate with an improvised ram. This resulted in the almost total loss of two famed regiments, the 1st Khwarezmians and the Lorestanis. The Shiraz Horsemen, however, on a third attempt, entered the city and subdued the defenders. Meanwhile, the Fakhru Mirza Horsemen defeated the Mongolian Keshiks on the plains to the north.

The Battle of Luoyang

Skirmishes with the Mongolian Keshiks

The rush to take Luoyang had been successful, but its defense was anything but certain. In 1430, the Persian armies were in a precarious situation, with a garrison in Luoyang only starting to dig in, and single regiments rushing through the surrounding Chinese country to their aid. It was hoped that the Chinese forces had not yet rebounded from the plague.

The China Campaign - 1430 (a precarious situation)

By 1430, Christianity had spread in Dilli, and it was hoped that this, and the once-again solid stability of the Persian empire, would help to quell any aspirations to Indian independence. Missionaries were still being frustrated in the north, however, unable to bring Christianty to the last Russian holdout, Taoist Kiev.

Of course, with no navy but a single fleet of galleys sheltering in Armuza harbour, Persia was at the mercy of whatever China might try to do by sea. The Chinese Navy terrorised the Dilli fishing fleet, forcing them to give up their plentiful fishing banks. (This did not lead the Indian and Arabian residents of the city to look favourably on the Timurid regime.)

Chinese navy off Dilli

The Mongol declaration of war had sent fear through the populace, but sightings of Keshik raiders had been thankfully few, and they were easily dispatched with the troops stationed in the northern cities.

Victory in skirmishes north of Samarkand

With the completion of a grand Christian cathedral in Pathragada, and the university in Armuza, in 1435, the sophistication of the empire could be seen in wartime; it was hoped that the people of the border regions outside the Great Wall would eventually transfer their loyalty back to Persia. Other nations were also enjoying prestigious accomplishments, however. The Arabians reported in 1440 that they had drawn maps of the entire circumference of the earth, and on the Arabian diplomat's next visit to the royal court in Parsa, he brought an emissary from a far-off kingdom (now vassals of Arabia) named Azteca.

As the Chinese war entered its second decade, the defenses at Luoyang were more secure, but its people still in revolt. Meanwhile, a siege was being prepared at Xi'an.

The China Campaign - 1440 (preparing siege of Xi'an)

1449-1469 Abu Said

The third Timurid ruler was, remarkably, of Arabian parentage. Abu Said was a native of Dilli who had proved himself to Taregh in his service in the Shiraz Horsemen. He had been one of the key planners in the masterful entry into the gates of Luoyang 20 years before, displayed great bravery, and further, great scientific curiousity, and had thus been adopted by Taregh as a son.

Abu Said realised that the war in China could not be allowed to drag, as the Chinese would only get stronger, and their cannons and horsemen with guns would be unstoppable for even the most valorous warrior. His first step had been to pillage the pastures south of Xi'an, but soon he would have to ask his commanders their honest opinion of whether the conquest of Xi'an was possible, as he suspected it was not. He also had the worry of the Chinese cannons from the south that were already sieging his native Dilli.

The China Campaign - 1450 (destroying horse pastures)

The defense of Dilli

When in the next few months word came of an Apostolic Palace resolution to end the war, Abu Said immediately publicly sent a messenger to Beijing with a vote of 'no', but also secretly sent an assassin after the messenger and then sent a secret envoy to Beijing agreeing to the resolution, but telling him to travel slowly. Then he sent a third envoy to the Chinese emperor to demand a peace, knowing that this was his last chance to force the Chinese to pay to end the war. The plan succeeded, as the Chinese paid 155 toman (1,550,000 dinars), making the Taoists' resolution obsolete.

The Apostolic Palace vote and peace treaty with China

There was one unforeseen flaw in Abu Said's plan. The Chinese, agreeing to the peace, forced the Persian army outside Xi'an to retreat to the city of Luoyang, rather than to Persia proper. The bulk of the army was thus trapped, while a state of war still existd with Mongolia.

The army trapped in Luoyang

Luoyang had been transferred into Persian hands, Persia had won a war against the greatest empire in the world, but all knew that the history between these two empires was not written yet.

this is placed as one of my favorite stories, most stories the writers try 2 hard 2 add humor into it, and make it more of first person game, but this story is almost perfect written, also without dout, best screenshot ever, how did u make it?

Cool! This is going very well! I keep getting the nod to play RFC from the stories on here. Keep it up!

Great job, esp. with the analytic description (which seems like academically-written chronicles) and the screenies/maps

Thanks, ilduce and micbic. I don't do humour well, so this is probably the best style for me. Also, by not being the same first person all throughout, I can play differently as different rulers - builder, missionary, warmonger, etc. - at different times in the progression of the empire.

The map a few posts back is just a ctrl-b flying camera shot modified by paint.NET (ink sketch effect).

DrumStudent, you really should try RFC (and a new modmod, RFCC), and RFC RAND. They add so much to the game of Civ. I especially like RAND, as you get a world that you don't altready know, and it's no longer so simple as building and conquering, you have stability and plague to worry about, and new civs spawning, and its overall just more plausible (e.g. you don't have hindu Spanish in the arctic and jewish Mongols living on an archipelago with no horses and building the Great Wall).

The next update is a bit short, as I haven't played that many more turns, but I will resume playing today.

X. The end of the Timurid Dynasty

For the rest of the 15th century, an uneasy peace was kept between the two empires of Persia and China. In the cities' manufactories, gunpowder weapons were being developed for the military in anticipation of renewed hostilities, but for the time all that kept the military occupied was the near-constant revolts in Luoyang.

1469-1506 Bayqarah Mirza, the last of the Timurids

The great nephew of Mirza Taregh, Bayqarah was keen to realise his elders' dream of building an observatory, and directed the university in Armuza to prioritise the study of astronomy. Caravels were now making progress in navigating a route around Africa to Europe, and also exploring east in search of the land from which the Aztecs came. In the course of these explorations, two other Christian nations were encountered, the Netherlands, and later, Portugal.

Contact with the Netherlands
Spoiler :

Bayqarah also enacted reforms to modernise society and make the government of distant and diverse regions more efficient, through a central bureaucracy and by appointing a viceroy in Russia. Although the period of adjustment was relatively short, these reforms eventually brought about the decline of the Timurid dynasty, as qualified and ambitious civil servants from other clans strove for power. By 1501, a highly devout Sufi Christian sect, called the Twelvers after a succession of twelve revered prophets, had solidified power in Parsa, and by 1506, upon Bayqarah's death, the bureaucracy supported one of these men, named Khata'i, over the appointed heir. Khata'i's reign was recognised in all corners of the empire by 1515, and so did the Safavid dynasty begin.

Interlude: Armuza University (1515)

Pages from the World Almanac published by Armuza University in 1515

An earlier document from 1485

Early naval exploration (c. 1490)

Yay! Update (albeit a short one). Good to see the histographs and other things in the older looking view.

Extremely impressive. I appreciate the effort put into making it a story rather than an account of a game someone played. You make me want to blow the dust off my Civ4 and finally install it (birthday present from 2008, but I'll have to get off this Vista nightmare and upgrade my memory & processor, so nothing happens till this summer).

Still, because of you, I've checked out and am right now downloading Paint.NET.

Gamewise, it's a good thing you didn't go after China when you first thought about it--you jolly well near could've had a two front war with them and Arabia. Definitely not good for your health.

I'm curious about why you didn't get around to colonizing the continent to your southeast sooner. It sure seems like an earlier expansion would've afforded you a larger military in your wars.

Thanks, BuckyRea.

Well, speaking of two-front wars, I'm in one now (or, three fronts actually). It was the Turks who started it off, just as micbic called it several posts ago. They declared war on me within 5 years of when the real-life Ottomans attacked the Safavids. I don't think these war declarations are scripted into RFC RAND, so it must be just a coincidence.

That continent to the southeast: i have had my eye on it for a while, but just got a navy recently, and it hasn't been a priority I guess. Perhaps after the war we can settle there.

Update as soon as I see how this long war turns out.

XI. The Twelvers and the Qizilbash

The Safavid Dynasty in the 16th century
Shah Khata'i 1506- 1524
Shah Tahmasp 1525-1576
Shah Heydar 1576
Shah Khodabanda 1576-1587

Exploration and Development

The strength of the Safavid Dynasty was rooted in the secret military society of the the Qizilbash, and the religious bureaucracy of the Twelvers. These two factions provided the Shahs with a far more orderly empire than Persia had ever experienced, but they also expected to have great influence in the Shah's court: the Qizilbash pushed for resuming the war with China, the Twelvers encouraged the further Christianisation of the west, but also strove to develop the infrastructure of the empire and to import the advanced learning of the Chinese empire (they were especially impressed by the University of Sankore in Xi'an, which had been founded by an African disciple on a Chinese explorer, who had returned to China with his master).

In 1520 an opportunity for peace with Mongolia presented itself, but Shah Khata'i decided rather to let remain the present hostile relations. All knew that he would jhave to give the Qizilbash their way and allow them to finish what they had begun and complete the conquest of the Amu Darya valley (also known as Oxiana), which still lay half in Chinese hands. As soon as hostilities with China resumed, so would they resume with their allies the Mongols. At present, only occasional and unimpressive Mongol forces were entering Persian territory from the north; dispatching these would be good training for newly recruited regiments.

Relations in the south, with Arabia, were slowing warming. Traders in Dilli began exporting rice in exchange for incense.

Already, caravels equiped only with sextants (for latitude, longitude had to be guessed) had been finding their way south the large continent of Australia, east to the land of the Aztecs, west around the southern lobe of Africa to the nations that lay there - Khmer in western Africa, and Portugal, Netherlands, Spain, and the northern Europeans (the fabled kingdom of England was now no more than a small principality).

Landing in Australia

The Duchy of London

In the early 16th century, however, Persian mariners developed a more precise means of navigation using the science of astronomy. In 1520, the first of the new galleons, the Bayqarah II, was built in Dilli, and in 1530 it charted a course across the Indian Sea to the continent of Borneo, where caravels had previously seen signs of inhabitation, carrying two regiments of horsemen with cannons.

The crossing to Borneo

As expected, or perhaps intended, the reception was hostile, and the Persian forces razed the settlement in retaliation, then set out on their assigned mission, to explore the inland of the continent. A few other native communities of significant size were found, and these all offered small tribute. Also, some perplexing ruins were discovered in the northwest; further to the northwest, it was known that the Chinese had several colonies, but the natives gave no sign that the any Chinese explorers had passed this way, and the ruins remained a mystery.

The continent of Borneo appeared to have some deposits of metals and quarriable stone, but not in overwhelming quantities. Wild horses were also sighted on the far coast.

A map of the continent of Borneo

In the 1560s, the Twelver bureaucractic faction marked two great successes. First, they had succeeded in planting a Christian church in Roma (a.k.a. Chinese Daqin, now in Turkish hands). Second, they had realised the long dream, since the annexation of Lahore, of irrigating the Parsi plain all the way north to the wheat fields near Parsa, demonstrating how far they had come from their nomadic roots, when they had grazed animals on the same plains.

The mission to Roma

The Parsi Plains irrigation project

The dawn of the Encircling War

However, in 1575, the militant Qizilbash, long frustrated in their plans, finally found their opportunity to rise in influence in the Shah's court. Germany and its vassal Turkey declared war. No formal declaration was received at the court in Parsa; rather, a messenger from Russia, the target of the enemy's aggression, desperately delivered the news and pleaded for the Persians' aid. The elderly Shah Tahmasp argued that a small detachment should be sent to assist the Russians, but that no grand militarisation was necessary. The Qizilbash, however, had other plans, and as soon as Tahmasp died in his sleep later that month, they put one of their own on the throne, the short-lived Shah Heydar, in place of Tahmasp's only surviving son, still a youth of 15.

Then they began mobilising for a grand war on both western and eastern fronts. On the west the war would be to defend the Russians and punish the Germans and Turks. But on the east was a war that incited much greater passion. The Qizilbash had derived much of its strength from the territorial grievances with the empire of China. Further, the descendants of the warriors that had been trapped in Luoyang four generations earlier made up a large segment of the Qizilbash membership. for over a hundred years they had communicated with the order by secret messages across Chinese territory, and they had maintained their fighting prowess, being called on regularly by the city governors to suppress uprisings from the Chinese population of the city. To join the enclave of Luoyang to the rest of the empire, and thus to unite the Qizilbash brotherhood, and to exact revenge upon the Chinese, were the main motivations behind their war. To help pay for this mobilisation they made peace with Mongolia, receiving 40 tomans plus a regular tribute, fully expecting to be fighting them soon again.

Peace with Mongolia
Spoiler :

Immediately after the payment from the Mongols was secure in the treasury, Shah Heydar sent a war declaration to Beijing. All did not go precisely according to plan, however, as the Shah was assassinated two months later, and the Qizilbash had no choice but to accept the legitimate heir, Khodabanda, who now, at 16 years of age, could rightfully claim the throne. Shah Khodabanda proved in his first months to be weak-willed and easily swayed by the now-powerful military, and presented no resistance to the ongoing war preparations, Indeed, no course of peace was immediately possible, as the Chinese, Mongols, and Japanese had all answered in kind Heydar's declaration of war to Beijing.

The war plans of the Qizilbash-controlled miltary council

Couldn't get as far as the actual war in today's update, but here is a small spoiler of what is to come, in a couple of days.

Warning: it is a spoiler.
Spoiler :

Very nice!!
Hope you finish the story

XII. The Encircling War, Part I - The Second China Campaign

The Safavid Dynasty in the 17th century
Shah Abbas I 1578-1629
Shah Safi I 1629-1642
Shah Abbas II 1642-1666
Shah Safi II 1666-1694
Shah Soltan 1694-1722

The drive to Xi'an

With the Qizilbash firmly in control of the military, and no sightings of large German/Turk forces in the west, Persian forces could focus on the crusade against China. Even when a stronger Shah, Abbas I, took the throne, popular sentiment was now overwhelmingly in favour of miltary action, to show the world that Persia would not allow threats against its security to go unpunished, and to rise to its rightful place as the unchallenged leading empire of the world.

In the first few years there were several slight setbacks, as the training of the required regiments was still not complete. The Shiraz Horsemen fought valiantly against a Mongol incursion, but were defeated, and there were reports that two caravels had been sunk by the Chinese navy - the Ulugh Beg in the far southern ocean, and the 2nd coastal patrol closer to home. Also worrying, a German army was approaching Moskva, but for the time being it appeared that the Russians would be able to mount an adequate defense.

Defeat of the Shiraz Horsemen

German Army outside Moskva

By 1600, Persia's coasts and fishing fleets were well protected by galleons, which were, as far as was known, the most advanced warships in the world.

Persia's solid naval defense

Finally, in 1605, a fully equipped and trained army of musket infantry, cannons, and cuirassier horsemen moved into Chinese territory, joined by regiments in Luoyang, advancing on Xi'an. They were victorious in several smaller skirmishes with Chinese horsemen, and soon were laying siege to the city. At the same time, Persian rulers welcomed an Apostolic Palace resolution for peace with Japan, in hopes of lessening the naval threat.

The peace with Japan

For 25 years, a spy ring had been operating in Xi'an, with full support from the espionage establishment, infiltrating the garrison and sowing discontent among the lower classes, but otherwise biding its time with no major operations that would risk uncovering its presence. This patience was rewarded when, in 1615, with the Persian army camped outside the gates, the Persian agents incited a revolt that threw the city into turmoil and left the walls undefended. Immediately, on seeing the smoke and hearing the commotion in the city, the army struck. The Fakhru Mirza Regiment and the famed regiments from Khwarezmia, Lorestan, and Zagros led the charge after the initial bombardment, and the newly formed and untested regiments (Shah Abbas' own guard, and those from Khuzestan, Indus, and Hindostan) also performed admirably, and casualties were light. As the 4th Infantry marched in and raised the Safavid banner over the castle, Chinese messengers raced to Beijing to face the wrath of their emperor. Xi'an was Persian.

The revolt in Xi'an

The Battle of Xi'an

The captured city of Xi'an was a place of great fascination for the occupying troops and the civil servants who moved in to establish order. The Confucian shrine, the Kong Miao, was inhabited by cooperative scribes and scholars who, although they refused to allow entry to Persians, agreed to transfer their tribute to the Persian treasury. Beside, a gleaming golden tower of most unusual shape, the Shwedagon Paya, loomed over the central square. The devotees to this monument claimed that it could be a place of worship for all faiths, but were mainly scoffed at by the new governors. Further from the centre was the immense University of Sankore: here, the Persian authorities found dedicated educators who were loyal only to the pursuit of knowledge, eager to set up adjunct schools at Christian churches and monasteries throughout their new empire. Finally, Xi'an housed the training centre of the garrisons that patrolled the Great Wall; without doubt, this expertise in military defensive strategy would be of use to the Persian army.

Spoiler :

The conquest of Xi'an was also greatly cheered in Luoyang, not only among the numerous Qizilbash members in the city, but also among the merchants and farmers who now had access to the surrounding towns, fields, and plantations.

Spoiler :

The great question in Shah Abbas' court was whether, after this great conquest, to continue the campaign against China or to seek peace. This time, the Qizilbash were not alone in arguing for war. The bureaucracy also argued that the conquest of Xi'an had made even more clear the immense gap between China's technological prowess and the that of the rest of the world. If China were allowed to develop at its present pace, as it surely would even with the loss of one major city, it would again be a formidable threat. At present, somewhat surprisingly given their overall technological advancement, they were still fighting with the same weapons as the Persians. Now was the time to strike, while Persia had the advantage of numbers and battle-hardened troops. The decision was made to press on to Beijing.

The technology advances of various civilisations relative to the Persian civilisation
Spoiler :

The target of the the Second China Campaign

(continued)

The defense of Moskva

Meanwhile, the western front of the war was requiring attention. A delegation visting the Russian capital met with the new Russian Satrapess, Catherine I, and were told that German and Turkish threat was growing. They agreed to increase cooperation in military technology, the Russians learning astronomical navigation and the Persians learning new advances in miltary science that would allow them to develop stronger ships.

Relations and exchange with the new Russian Empress
Spoiler :

Persian forces were having no trouble with the occasional incursions of German troops (and of Mongols in the north), but in the late 1640s came dire reports of a battle at Moskva that was reducing Russian troops to dangerously low levels.

Skirmishes against the Germans (northwest) and Mongols (northeast)

The Battle of Moskva (1645-50), between Russian and German forces

Three of the premier horse regiments were redeployed to the Russian front, and arrived in Moskva just in time. The Fakhru Mirza Horsemen, defending against successive charges of German knights through the broken walls, fought bravely to the last man, and, according to a letter from the Satrapess herself, their defense was the pivotal episode in the rescue of the Russian capital, which was later secured by additional Persian regiments who mopped up the remaining, scattered German and Turkish units.

The defeat of the Fakhru Mirza Horsemen, and the salvation of Moskva

A monument to the Fakhru Mirza Horsemen Regiment, erected by the Satrapess Catherine of Russia in Moskva.
Spoiler :

Beijing, the Wondrous

By 1665, in the east, bombardment of Beijing by Persian cannons had commenced. Ten years before, China had used its weight on the Taoist Apostolic Palace to call a vote for ending the war on their empire, but this had been casually defied by the Persians and Russians, and though the Japanese and Arabians had sided with the Chinese on the vote, they had not backed up their vote with military declarations.

The Persian navy had been strengthened with the additions of two frigates, and for the first time in history the Persian navy went on the offensive, bomabrding the port cities of Macau and Hangzhou, so as to confuse the enemy as to the real target of the campaign.

Naval operations in Chinese waters

The siege was met by very little resistance, save for another desperate attempt by the Chinese to end the war by a vote at the Apostolic Palace, and on the eve of the Battle of Beijing, represented the largest Persian army ever assembled. The battle was quick and decisively victorious, as had become the pattern for the experienced Persian army. It was led by the sturdy 2nd Khwarezmians, the Abbas Horsemen, then the regiments from Zagros and Khorasan, through the less experienced regiments, with the Hindostan Horsemen finally galloping into the huge central square unmolested.

The Persian army at the siege of Beijing

The Battle of Beijing

Beijing was a staggering prize - its wonder far outstripped that of the previous conquest, Xi'an - that left the entering armies almost paralysed in astonishment. The surveyors that arrived in the city after its occupation spent two years simply listing the names of the ancient monuments and active institutions that had made this city for millennia the centre of the world:
Stonehenge, The Colosseum, The Great Library, The Hanging Gardens, Hagia Sophia, Wat Preah Pisnulok, The Temple of Kukulkan, The Sistine Chapel, The Taj Mahal, The Leaning tower, The Kremlin, Interpol, and The Apostolic Palace.

The conquered city of Beijing
Spoiler :

In time, Shah Safi II, great-grandson of Abbas I who had begun the 2nd Chinese Campaign, hoped that the Persians would be able to remake this city into thriving regional centre, subservient to the major cities of Parsa and Armuza, but a respected contributor to the glory of Persian ascendance. All agreed that this would require the war to continue to the east, to Macau and Hangzhou from which the Chinese still controlled the lands around Beijing, before focussing fully on the west.

The Chinese countryside surrounding Beijing

Mopping up from the Second China Campaign

After the fall of Beijing into Persian hands, the military worked to finish the China campaign as quickly as possible, so that military units could be sent to the western front. Thus Macau fell easily in 1695, followed by Hangzhou in 1706, after the Persian navy had inflicted a heavy bombardment from the blockaded harbour.

The Timur II defeats the Chinese frigate near Hangzhou

The Battle of Hangzhou (1706)

Finally, in 1709, a Chinese delegation from the new overseas capital of Tianjin was invited to sail into Hangzhou underthe white flag, and sign a peace. The Chinese were still stubbornly refusing to concede all the the Persian negotiators asked for, but such was the desire to end the eastern war that the Persians allowed the Chinese some dignity in their defeat. It was rumoured that the present Chinese regime would not be able to hold on to their power much longer.

Peace treaty with China

Summary of the Second Chinese Campaign

Already Persian regiments were being reassigned to the next military objective, the conquest of German Köln. On the way, however, they were re-routed when word came that the Germans were again threatening to capture Moskva. The Persians again came to the rescue, guaranteeing that the Russian Satrapy would remain loyal and gracious for many generations to come.

At home, meanwhile, the transformation of the empire into a developed agrarian/urban state was almost complete. With the completion of the second stage of the Parsi Plains Irrigation Project, now the wheatfields near Armuza were also watered by the faraway headwaters of the Indus river. Only in the most inaccessible parts of the Parsi plain did nomads still live in the traditional lifestyule of the ancient Persians.

The completion of the second stage of the Parsi Plains Irrigation Project

While the war had been raging against the Chinese, Japan had begun settling the continent of Borneo. The gains against the Chinese had given great prestige to the empire, now recognised as the most powerful in the world, but some voices in Parsa and especially in Armuza were demanding that Persia begin the long-delayed settlement of overseas regions, as would fit a Great Power. Others argued that all resources should be directed at the Germans, and that settlements by rivals could be later conquered by force.

The Japanese colony of Naha, in northwest Borneo

ilduce, sorry I couldn't take your advice to take Hangzhou first, because I had already played to 1709. It would have been wiser, as I could have moved around more quickly if China didn't have cultural influence over all of the land.

Anyway, here is a save to where I am now, in 1709.

Attachments

• Soltan AD-1709 Turn 324.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 77
Top Bottom