[RFC RAND] The peoples of the Persian plain

Sorry about the wait. Have not been able to play civ for a few weeks until today. I am playing now, and hope I can update in a day or two.

Edit: Will be a few more days, I'm afraid, due to real life obligations. This thread has been stalled for a while, but I will resume it.

XIX. The First World War - Part II "Futility" (1896-1918)

The state of the Great World War at the beginning of Mozaffar Shah Qajar’s reign (1896-1925)

The Persian republic passed through a deep crisis of confidence in the first two gloomy decades of the 20th century. Its military forces were spread too thinly across three (later four) fronts: the Mongolian war in the north, the French front in the far west, and the sea war against the rapidly advancing Japan. The people yearned for the boisterous and happy times of the mid-19th-century that now only their grandparents remembered.

The deep funk of present times was captured best by an English poet/correspondent who was travelling with the Persian regiments on the French front in 1916.

From "Futility", by Willfred Owen

Move him into the sun ---
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds---
Woke once the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear achieved, are sides
Full-nerved, still warm, too hard to stir?
---O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?

The Mongolian/Japanese front

While steady progress had been made in the past decade, with the minor Mongol cities of Ulaan-Ude and Ulaan Baatar coming under Persian military rule, the pace of the northward advance suffered from a lack of reinforcements arriving in the south. As medical facilities in the newly-conquered cities were close to non-existent, and only one regiment with minimal field medic capabilities, years passed with the front barely moving, despite the fact that the Mongolians were no longer able to project any military force and were pinned within their remaining cities. Persian strategists were also wary of Japanese spy activity in the sparsely populated and porous Mongolian borderland, and Japan was made a top priority of the intelligence agencies.

The Mongolian campaign in 1896

Espionage report from 1898

In 1902, the fears of Japanese interference were realised when Khalkh Gol revolted and a city government loyal to Japan was established. However, many argue that Persian agents had some part to play in the timing of this event, as the Japanese spies seemed to play directly into the hands of advancing Persian forces. In the months after Khalk Gol revolted to Japan, before the city had been completely pacified and an effective garrison set in place, the city was charged and easily taken by Persian cavalry and infantry regiments.

The Khalkh Gol revolt and annexation to Japan

The conquest of Khalkh Gol

After this conquest, Japan was ready to make peace, and the Persian high command was relieved at the chance to reduce the number of their enemies by one. Thus, once again, in 1904, peace was made with Japan at a conference in the military camp outside Khalkh Gol.

The 1904 peace treaty with Japan

The covert war was far from over, however. Plans to launch a revolt in the Japanese capital had been formulating over the last five years, and the intelligence community was certainly not willing to let their preparations go to waste. The high command, also, was still extremely concerned by the rapid advances that were presumably being made by the Japanese, and so the green light was given for Operation Uji, wherein Persian spies had infiltrated a militant Taoist temple, then in 1906 instigated a religious revolt against the secular Kyouto government, and incited roving bands of peasants to lay waste to great swaths of the surrounding countryside. The revolt was put down quickly by Japanese republican troops, but not without significantly setting back the regions economy and infrastructure.

Persian spies instigate the short-lived 1906 Uji Revolt in Kyouto

The state of the republic away from the front lines

There were, of course, some bright spots of progress in the heartlands of the republic, far from the sounds of battle. An efficent and well motivated workforce was rapidly bringing electrical power even to the rural regions, technological exchanges with the Scandinavians brought the technology of radio communications, which were immediately applied to civilian and military uses, a secondary seat of government was set up in the south, based in the Summer Palace of Kermanshah, and finally, a major stock exchange was set up in the ancient trading centre of Armuza.

The Samarkand Electric Company

Technological exchanges with Scandinavia

The Summer Palace in Kermanshah, now a major city and secondary capital of the republic

The Armuza Stock Exchange (ASE)

The French front

The French front was where the Persian forces were the most ill-equiped and supplied, and thus the main source of discontent in the army, even moreso than the frozen frontlines of Mongolia. Troops had to make an arduous journey across thousand of kilometres of Turkish territory, only to find that their advance into France was delayed by insufficient numbers. Accommodations were sparse, and the Turkish citizenry regarded them suspiciously, further decreasing morale.

At the same time, German and Russian forces had made great gains against the French, taking the cities of Neapolis and Arretium, respectively. These reports, however, did nothing to improve the mood of the Persian troops quartered in squalid Milan.

The advances of the German, Russian, Turk, and Persian forces in France

At last, in 1916, the West Persian army began its march on Capua and pillaged the horse-rearing lands to the city's southeast. But, to add insult to their futile condition, the French government in Paris collapsed just as the siege was being set up, and the city governors in Capua capitulated to the much larger Turkish force, being annexed to the Fourth Satrapy. At the same time, Paris was annexed by the Islamic Kingdom of Spain. The meagre efforts of the Persians on the western front had come to nothing except gains for their CATO partners - Turkey, Germany, and Russia.

The collapse of the Islamic Kingdom of France and the annexation of Capua and Paris

The Second Chinese Revolt

Then, just as all Persian armed forces were deployed in the far west and north, the Chinese resistance centred in Beijing took advantage of this chance, in 1918, to stage the second major Chinese revolt, mirrorring the events of six decades earlier. First the city of Beijing was declared the capital of the resurgent Republic of Mainland and Overseas China, then, in the months and years that followed, the towns and villages of surrounding countryside pledged their loyalty to the Beijing regime. This time, there was no army stationed in Parsa to quickly put down the revolt, so the Persian High Command had no choice but to accept the will of the Chinese population, at least until a central army could be reconstituted from the forces returning from the French front and from, eventually, the northern Mongolian front.

The second Chinese revolt

The mainland territories loyal to the Republic of China

The ever-elusive accomplishment of the Mongolian campaign

The conquest of Khovsgol

In the same year, 1918, the second-to-last city of the Mongolian mainland was taken. Yet still, the Mongols refused to capitulate and become a protectorate the CATO military alliance. As such capitulation remained the goal of the stubborn Foreign Affairs Department (and High Command), military commanders braced themselves for the final (it was hoped) push on the Mongolian capital of Kharakhorum.

Looks like the Persian Empire is struggling with this new era, an era of revolutions and ideals, if Persia will try to defeat these ideals it might find itself in an even greater problem, while if it will accept these revolutionary ideas it might have to concede and give up a lot of it's power.
Above all the Persian leaders must strive to keep their long-lasting empire stable.

Looks like the Persian Empire is struggling with this new era, an era of revolutions and ideals, if Persia will try to defeat these ideals it might find itself in an even greater problem, while if it will accept these revolutionary ideas it might have to concede and give up a lot of it's power.
Above all the Persian leaders must strive to keep their long-lasting empire stable.

BurnEmDown, your warning has proved very prescient. Dark days are ahead. The update will follow soon.

XX. The First World War - Part III "Victory attended by Catastrophe" (1918-1936)

Faith and nationalism

The long wars of the past six decades had not only produced feelings of gloom and anxiety; they had also fostered the rise of a fervent nationalism among the Persian people. Minorities (Indians, Arabs, and others) now did not feel that they were quite as warmly welcomed within the republic, as the main Persian ethnicity began to blame them for the ongoing troubles. In addition, although the republic had been secular for almost two centuries (since Nader Shah), Persian citizens began to rediscover a nationalist pride in their native religion, Christianity. The completion of the Cristo Redentor monument of Samarkand, the cradle of Christianity, in 1924, solidified this sentiment. Jingoistic leaders began to look for ways to harness this religious fervour in order to increase the centralisation of power in Parsa.

The Cristo Redentor monument in Samarkand, birthplace of Christianity

In 1926, the newly elected Prime Minister Mostowfi ol-Mamalek, a high-ranking bureaucrat from a well-connected family, began reforms which removed the last vestiges of monarchial power. The system of viceroys in the Satrapies (who reported to the Shah) was replaced with a system which gave greater (but not complete) autonomy to the nations of Russia, Germany, Turkey, and Scandinavia, wherein their ambassadors reported (through the quarterly meetings of CATO) to the Prime Minister, who was now the chief executive of the republic. At the same time, a military doctrine of direct occupation of conquered cities was adopted. Historians, with hindsight, generally agree that these changes would have been far more beneficial at the beginning of the war, but it is doubtful that the public would have accepted them at an earlier time. Now, however, with the threat of a hostile China on their doorstep, and renewed Christian nationalism, there was little opposition. Nevertheless, in 1928, courthouses were quickly established in the Mongol cities of Ulaan-Ude and Ulaan Baatar, and in the colony of Gogana, as there were indications that the stability of the republic was shaky.

Mostowfi ol-Mamelek's reforms

Modernisation

Meanwhile the nation slowly modernised, with the invention of a workable combustion engine in 1922, the adoption of the assembly line (from Scandinavia) in 1926, and the first oil wells, near Gogana in Africa, becoming operational in 1930.

Technological exchanges with Scandinavia

The oilfields near Gogana

Military campaigns

In 1928, the navy reported that, from their vantage point at sea, the Chinese city of Dalian on Borneo was undefended, and that the oilfields outside the city could be easily controlled. A cavalry regiment that was scouting the area was ordered by radio to immediately capture the city, extending Persian control over the whole of northern Borneo.

The annexation of Dalian

In 1932, a new Prime Minister was elected, Mehdi Qoli Hedayat, an Azerbaijani, on a platform of increased increased military efficeincy. In 1934 he ordered the generals on the northern front to bring the Mongolian war to a close by the end of the year. The conquest of Kharakhorum was achieved as demanded, but at the cost of the complete defeat of the storied Lotf (10th) Infantry, due to a reckless assault on a heavily fortified city. As a result, mainland Mongolia was now controlled, but was refusing to capitulate, even though it had been reduced to the overseas province of Astrakhan. Peace was made on very generous terms, and the Mongolian government barely lasted the year before collapsing into anarchy in 1935.

The Battle of Kharakhorum

The peace treaty with Mongolia

The plan to liberate Mongolian cities back to a subjugated Mongolian protectorate was no longer viable. Thus, at the next meeting of the Central Asian Treaty Organisation, the two most northerly Mongolian cities (Kharakhorum and Khovsgol) were assigned to Russia.

The CATO agreement to assign Mongolian cities to Russia

The First World War was now declared over, and the military could focus on the 'internal' problem of the Chinese revolt, now approaching the end of its second decade. In 1935, seventeen years after the revolt began in 1918, enough regiments had gathered in Hangzhou to begin the offensive against Beijing. The military leadership hoped for a campaign that would last no longer than one winter, as artillery and airships were in place to pound the Chinese defenses, and Persian infantry was far superior to the 19th-century riflemen who made up the Chinese garrison.

The approach to Bejing from the north

Catastrophe

Disaster then struck the strained republic from a completely unexpected source.

On the first day of the year 1936, in a move that is as unexplained now as it was unanticipated then, Indian militias rose in coordinated attacks on the government offices in Dilli, Chittagong, Lahore. They were joined, on the very same day, by Buddhist and Taoist militias in Armuza and Ectabana, who in their communique said that they were, unbelievably, joining forces with the Indian revolution.

The Indian revolution, and the uprisings in Armuza and Ectabana

Intelligence agencies scrambled to understand the networks that were behind the Nowruz Coup, as it became known, realising that they had completely underestimated the discontent that was sweeping the non-Persian, non-Christian segments of the population. Still, the alliance between the non-Christian Persians (in Armuza and Ectabana) with the Indians was beyond the most bizarre scenarios they had imagined. The most likely (though still unsatisfying) explanation that they could come up with was that the militias in the Persian cities were using the cover of the Indian revolution to achieve what they knew they could not achieve alone, and that the alliance would soon wither, with the military juntas in the cities of Armuza and Ectabana planning on subsequently declaring independence.

Whatever the motives, the Persian Parliament and military High Command declared a state of emergency across the republic. Regiments returning from Mongolia were sent directly to deployment zones to the north of Armuza, with the hope of reestablishing control in the all-important trade centre before the rebels had a chance to organise.

However, even the best scenarios for the next decade were bleak. Even if control could be reasserted over Chinese and Indian lands quickly, the damage to infrastructure in the affected cities would set the republic back by at least two decades, throwing into jeopardy its globally leading role.

Indeed, in capitals around the world, diplomats were whispering that their nations would need to prepare for the unstable world that would follow the fall of the Persian empire.

Get your own cities back (Ecbatana/Armuza) and then capitulate the Indians. This way, you will not lose much core territory, as well as you will not spend much army and time in the war.

It really sucks in RAND that you can actually lose your core cities to a respawn. If you don't mind me saying, IMO you should get Fascism next and adopt Police Sate, Nationhood and State Property. That should prevent you from collapsing.

Anyways great update yet again!

Get your own cities back (Ecbatana/Armuza) and then capitulate the Indians. This way, you will not lose much core territory, as well as you will not spend much army and time in the war.

Good advice. The core Indian cities have never really contributed much, I feel. On the other hand, Armuza (in commerce) and Ectabana (in production) are, erm, were my 2nd and 3rd most important.

As for capitulating India, does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of vassals one can have? I seem to remember reading about it somewhere, and I wonder if the reason Mongolia never capitualted is because I reached the limit. I have 4 presently.

It really sucks in RAND that you can actually lose your core cities to a respawn. If you don't mind me saying, IMO you should get Fascism next and adopt Police Sate, Nationhood and State Property. That should prevent you from collapsing.

Yes, I almost gave up the game when I saw that happen. I mean, I founded Armuza on my 2nd turn. The area was never Indian, ever. I guess the mod added my core cities to the respawn because of something in the original stability/settler maps. But still, they were settled by Persians. :mad:

But so it goes. The story must go on. So I tried to invent some barely plausible explanation, just as I did a few updates ago with that other ridiculous feature of RFC, the congresses.

And thanks for the advice on civics. Right now I'm at -24 stability, after the Indian respawn. Yes, now that I have Cristo Redentor I think need to become a totalitarian communist state. In fact, the story at the moment seems to be leading somewhat in that direction (minus the bit about the religious nationalism).

I think a totalitarian state will help you get your stability back, after you take all cities from India (and raze cities which will be a drain on your economy) you shouldn't take too long to re-establish.
4 is the maximum number of vassal states in RFC, so you won't be able to capitulate the Indians.

I think a totalitarian state will help you get your stability back, after you take all cities from India (and raze cities which will be a drain on your economy) you shouldn't take too long to re-establish.
4 is the maximum number of vassal states in RFC, so you won't be able to capitulate the Indians.

4? not 5 - that is, the maximum number of vassals+defensive pacts together is five.

too bad about the indian respawn, take them back and go for a stable, totalitarian state..

XXI. Reconquest and Revolution (1936-38)

In a 1936 paper delivered at the Council of Central Asia, Dr. Reza Makhmalbaf described his measure of national stability based on 5 key groupings, and reported that when he applied it to the present Persian Republic, the resulting score was an alarming -24, or 'unstable'.

Spoiler :
Interior Ministry report on stability

Worries of a republic spinning apart from centrifugal momentum had already prompted the Majlis (Parliament) to approve a plan to transfer the cities of East Mongolia to the government of Japan. The loyalties of many in the recently conquered region appeared to side with the Japanese, and the Japanese government in Kyouto was eager to add to its prestige by taking on the territory. The Majlis, on the other hand, felt it was merely a drain on the coffers, and also had no interest in dealing with resurgent Mongol nationalism, so they were happy to continue the policy of transfer that had begun with handing West Mongolia to the Russians.

Transfer of East Mongilia to Japan

Meanwhile, on the military front, the goal of retaking Beijing within the year was almost realised, but a standoff continued in the winter of 36-37, with a severely weakened and desperate garrison in Beijing.

The weakened garrison in Beijing

Beijing was recaptured in the spring of 1937, and the military now focussed its entire attention on the Indian revolution. A young general who had risen to prominence in the Beijing campaign, Taqi-Khan Pessian, was immediately assigned to lead the 15th and 29th Infantries, which were being redeployed from the northern to the southern front.

The reconquest of Beijing

Taqi-Khan Pessian takes charge of the 15th Infantry

The year 1937 also brought progress and indications of indications of a brave new future ahead. The practical success of Persian flying machines brought international prestige, and immediately these machines were pressed into military service, replacing the aging airships. Also, in that year, the largest ironworks in the land, eclipsing all previous smelters, was built in Kermanshah.

The Ironworks of Kermanshah

While these advances were universally acclaimed, many in the republic greeted another development with more caution. Scandinavian writings on a new political philosophy, fascism, were circling among the intelligentsia. More worryingly, these ideas were gaining ground at both ends of the political spectrum - the conservative members of the Majlis (who desired greater state control in preserving the nationalist/free-market status quo), and also the socialists who made up the Tudeh (Workers) Party (who beleived that tighter state control would be necessary in the first steps of a socialist revolution).

Technological exchange with Scandinavia

In early 1938, the first fully-modern ship, a gleaming steel destroyer, christened the Naser Qajar, was launched from Hangzhou. This, however, was the last prestigious accomplishment that could be claimed by the centuries-old Republic of Persia. For in Parsa and in smaller assemblies in Kermanshah and Pathragada, the Tudeh Party began its systematic, long-planned takeover. The revolution was mainly bloodless, as the workers had secured the sympathy of the garrisons of the most important cities, and the main regiments of the army were engaged in the battle against Indian revolutionaries, and did not have the heart to abandon that battle to fight against their own regiments in the cities, in spite of the frantic cries of 'Treason!' that rang from the deposed aristocratic members of the Majlis. After only 3 weeks of confusion, the new Prime Minister Mohsen Eskandari announced his cabinet and the birth of the Persian Socialist Republic.

To the Tudehs comfort, the public seemed to be largely acquiescent towards the tumultuous changes. The latest calculations showed stability improving duringt the year to -16 on the Makhmalbaf Scale.

The Tudeh Revolution of 1938

Great update! :goodjob: Nice to see that you didn't lose all hope due to the respawn and adopted the totalitarian civics. Your civic stability will probably rise above zero and with a little economic growth you'll be able to go on the warpath again; like a fascist nation should.

XXII. 'International Friendship' and Domestic Strife: Post-Revolutionary Persia(1938-1945)

The years from 1938 to 1945 were a fearful time for many in the Persian Socialist Republic, especially for former capitalists and those purged from the bureacracy for undue sentiment towards the 'despotic dynasties', as all former Persian governments were now called.

A treaty of friendship had been signed with the compliant monarchial regime in Turkey: although the rulers of that confused nation still insisted on naming themselves the Fourth Satrapy, they agreed to reduce the monarchy to a figurehead role and to adopt most of the socialist reforms of the Persians, and to continue their status as a tributary protectorate. Government projects (such as the new Wembley football stadium in 1942) aimed at bolstering the pride of the common person. Thus, in diploamcy as in sport as in many other ways, the new government ensured that the labourers, farm workers, and craftsmen felt pride at their place in the momentous history that was unfolding around them. Due to the alliance between the 'Workers' Government' and the military, no one dared rise up in open rebellion, and yet the precipitous instability throughout the land was clearly felt. Scholars in exile, using Dr. Makhmalbaf's scale, estimated a value that had fallen to -35 during the years of '44 and '45, though no official media channels paid much attention to these figures.

The Treaty of Friendship with Turkey

The Wembley Stadium in Parsa

The Indian Revolution of the previous decades had been put down decisively, and there were triumphant reports from the military radio stations at the reconquest of each city - Armuza in 1939, Ectabana (renamed Hangmatana) in 1941, Lahore in 1943, and Dilli in 1945.

The reconquest of Armuza

Towards the end of the campaign, however, advisors to Prime Minister Eskandari dissuaded him from pressing the offensive against the last Indian holdout of Chittagong, stating their firm believe that the Indians would never caplitulate. Recognising then that the Socialist Republic was already straining from internal pressures, the Prime Minister directed diplomats to make peace with the Chittagong regime, as had been done with Overseas China six years before.

The peace treaty with the Chittgong regime

A 1945 map of territory retaken from the Indian revolutionary regime

Spain once had 7 vassals in RFC rand (however this was over a year ago, so its possible that it was just because it was an older version of Rand) so unless that number only applies to players and not computers then this is incorrect.

Also as Germany
England
Russia
Turkey
Khmer
Mali
China
were my vassals, but this was in RFC marathon so it could be different
Turkey collapsed at around the same time as Khmer capitulating (within 1 turn of each other) so I cant remember which happened first so its possible that the max is 5

I'm pretty sure 4 is the right number (for maximum vassals in RFC RAND). I have pushed the Mongols to one overseas city and they didn't capitulate, then the Indians to only Chittagong and they refused.

So I have to win with me, the Russians, Germans, Turks, and Vikings. Shouldn't be so hard, should it? The biggest challenge now is trying to stay over -20 in stability. :crazyeye:

IIRC, it was said somewhere that the limit is 5 for vassals and defensive pacts combined. So do you have a defensive pact with anyone?

Danger Bird, I have greatly enjoyed reading and watching your alternate history for a few days now, and I expect that your future posts will not disappoint me either, and will, rather, be very entertaining, like what I have seen so far. Good luck be to you for all ages of your rule over great Persia (and hopefully over other empires in the future, with the same style seen here so far), and do not give up. If you ended this when you lost your Indian cites, Armuza, & Ecbatana, I think that I would not have been the only one saddened.

N.B. Also that this is my first post on the Civilization Fanatics' Forums.

Your loyal onlooker,
- Pryphthygm.

XXIII. The World in 1955

After re-establishing control of the southern cities from the Indian rebels in 1945, the Socialist Republic was once again whole, but the central authority was tenuous. The threats of new independence movements and open rebellions were ever-present, and a new Central Command was set up to plan for all imaginable military scenarios. The new Prime Minister of the Tudeh Party, Farzan Mosaddegh, dearly wished that the central control of the party could be loosened and that the people could begin to live the free and prosperous lives that the Tudeh Revolution had promised, but he was forced by the exigencies of the situation to issue strict commands: he ordered that the bulk of the army was stationed in the city of Parsa and in bases on surrounding towns, martial law was continued indefinitely, and the construction of railroads to outlying regions was quickened.

A stability report from 1946

A division of the army under Central Command

The fears of breakup were heightened when Roman Taoists overthrew Turkish and German magistrates in Roma and other formerly Roman cities, establishing a monarchy that claimed a link to the nobles of the ancient Chinese outpost of Daqin. The rebels denounced the 'modern evils' of representative government, and set up 'Roman Empire' based on heriditary rule and a caste system. There were calls for Persian assistance to put down this backward regime and restore it to the Central Asian Treaty Organisation, either under Turkish or direct Persian control. These voices were overwhelmed, however, by conservatives who claimed that the precarious stability in Persian and in both the Turkish and German states precluded such an action. The Roman Empire would have to be tolerated for the time being, but a motion was passed in CATO that no trade links were to be established.

The breakaway Roman Empire in 1951

Yet, the dispute about what to do about Rome showed no signs of abating, and by 1952, discussion had expanded in the People's Congress on the future international involvements of the Socialist Republic. For some time concern had been concentrated on simply holding the republic together, but strong voices were now being raised in support of a more assertive role for Persia in world affairs. No longer was Persia, with its internal problems, the unquestioned leading nation of the world, and in recent decades the a new balance between several major powers had emerged. The Congress thus appointed a Commission to develop a strategy for reasserting Persia's claim to be the sole superpower, giving it a timeframe of 1952-55 to complete its analysis and present its report.

In Europe, Portugal and Spain were the unquestioned powers, each of them involved in a war to lengthen their international influence. Portugal, with its strong navy, was contesting with Japan for dominance of the seas, and the security of its colonies. Spain, with its junior ally the Netherlands, was engaged in a long land war with its inland neighbour Egypt.

Spoiler :
Portugal and Spain

The British Empire, with colonies in the Americas and a war with Mexico, was still considered a minor power. Scandinavia, a Persian protectorate and CATO member, was also a minor coloniser, on the west coast of North America. However, Scandinavia was the undisputed technological leader of the world, and there was strong intelligence suggesting that they were working on a terrifying new weapon based on nuclear fission, and close to completion.

Spoiler :
Britain and Scandinavia

Germany, another CATO member, still maintained the best fighting force in the world, in quality if not quantity, and were also rapidly expanding their colonial holdings, primarily on the southern continent of Australia. It was noted, however, that the resources on this continent were not substantial enough to present any grave concern.

Spoiler :
German colonies in Australia

Mali, the dominant African power, was also at war with Egypt, and in spite of its relatively undeveloped technology, now claimed a territory that was a rival of the major powers in its vastness. Of note, many of the most sought after resources of the modern world, oil, uranium, and aluminium, were plentiful within Mali's borders.

Kampuchea, the other African power, was the leader of a bloc that included the Inca nation in South America and the rump state of India to Persia's south, and was in a defensive pact with the resilient nation of Mexico.

Farthest from Persia's sphere of influence, the United States of America had been quietly establishing its dominance, from its power base on the east coast, over most of the inland areas of North America. Complete up-to-date maps of the interior were still unavailable to Persian diplomats and spies.

Spoiler :
The United States of America

Finally, close to home, the Japanese were still a force to be treated with respect, with their flourishing sea-based economy and a technological prowess that kept pace with Persia's own.

Spoiler :
Japan

The analysis above was the greatest part of the Commissions report to the People's Congress in 1955. However, a select group within the Commission was also asked to give a private session to the highest-ranking members of the Central Command. Their recommendation is still classified to this day, but leaks have suggested that they argued forcefully for Persia to concentrate its efforts on expanding its influence close to home, away from the attention of the most technologically advanced nations. In addition, it is rumoured that they specifically mentioned southern Africa, rich in resources, as a promising area for the projection of Persia's military strength.

In late 1955, according to a suspicious leak whose authenticity is yet to be confirmed, maps were being circulated within the Central Command that suggested that planning for operations in Africa were well-advanced. Many, however, denounced these maps as an elaborate hoax.

The maps allegedly leaked from Central Command
Spoiler :
Northern Campaign

Southern Campaign

Progress on the Ethiopian Road

IIRC, it was said somewhere that the limit is 5 for vassals and defensive pacts combined. So do you have a defensive pact with anyone?

Actually, just remembered now that I had 2 defensive pacts and 4 vassals at the time. So the maximum (maybe) is 6.

Top Bottom