RFC Sagas: Egypt

So this is going to be as standard RFC story (with hopefully above-average writing), with one exception. Namely, that you will make the UHVs. There will be a day's period of brainstorming(this can be flexible), and if none of them are to my liking, I'll simply start with the regular UHV. These stories will continue till the end of the game or my Civilization, so if I complete one UHV, a new one, will pop up.

Sound good? Let me know if there are any questions!

ooo, how intriguing

UHV: Pan-African Union
be the dominate power in Sub-Saharan Africa and North Africa by 1900

Subbing

Oooh, nice idea.
UHV: The Dream of Cleopatra
Conquer Rome, Greece, and Persia by 470 AD.

It might be too difficult though.

UHV: The Old Gods

Alright, it looks like these are the UHV's I'm going for. Please not that if I don't achieve one of them, the game will still go on. Hell, even if I achieve them, it will go on until the game ends by either the Egyptian Empire falling or the time simply running out. Until then, new UHV's will be added when the conditions on one of them are either met or failed.

Hold onto your seats. It's gonna be fun for both of us, I think.

This ought to be an interesting read. Subbing

Alright, this is gonna be a bit more history-book-esque than my first attempt at a story on this sight. Hopefully, it will still be good.

The Old Kingdom era

The Old Kingdom, the first example of a fully unified Egypt, was founded by the Pharaoh Neb-Er-Tcher approximately 5,000 years ago. Little is known about Neb-Er-Tcher for sure besides his foundation of the Old Kingdom and its capital, Niwt-Rst, but legend has it that he slew 1,000 men during his conquest of Upper Egypt. Of course, legends are often lies, and the astronomical number of men slain in this legend makes it no exception. Still, this legend is useful for historians, as it gives us knowledge of the high accord martial prowess and nobility was given in those days.

Spoiler :

The founding of mining in Egypt has an interesting beginning. Around 7 generations after the foundation of the Old Kingdom, give or take some, there was a poor harvest all across farms in Egypt. However, few people died, as one smart commoner found out that the Nubians in the south would be willing to trade food for some of Egypt's mineral wealth. According to myth, the Pharaoh Si-Muntu ordered his people to find out a way to extract the ore, and lo and behold, mining was invented in Egypt.

Spoiler :

As the population of Egypt grew, so did it's diversity of occupation. Laborers were commissioned to build better palaces for the Pharaoh, and it is from this order that the Egyptian practice of Masonry was created. It would serve the Egyptians well in the future, as the Nile was rich in mineral wealth.

Spoiler :

One of the few non-Pharaohs remembered from the old kingdom, Usirtasen, invented the Egyptian shield, a very well-designed and easy-to-carry shield. His story is quite tragic, unfortunately. After he invented the shield, he of course told the noblemen of his invention to help them equip the soldiers with the shields. But since he was a commoner, the noblemen did not give him any reward. Despite his useful invention, Usirtasen did not reap any benefits. A few years after his death, everyone who knew how to design the shields died under mysterious circumstances.

Spoiler :

Usirtasen's story ignited the imagination of the Egyptian commoners. For the first time in Egypt's history they created their own religious rituals to honor the Gods for their justice. Simple at first, these rituals grew more complex over time. The Pharaoh at the time, Nasch-Ti-Nebef allowed these rituals to continue, thinking that giving the people of Egypt a chance to worship on their own terms would allow the Pharaohs to place more orders upon the people without increasing their anger.

Spoiler :

Life went on though and Pharaoh Pa-Be-Khen-Nu, hungering for conquest, constructed the first Egyptian barracks, for his army to sleep. Pa-Be-Khen-Nu died before he could raise an army however, and although the barracks were kept, in addition to walls being added for the defense of Niwt-Rst should an enemy ever choose to attack them, plans of conquest were abandoned for the time being.

Spoiler :

The meeting with the Greek city-states however, changed everything. As was mentioned before, the commoners were polytheistic. However, Egypt's only real rival before Greece was the nation of Yerushalyim, whose people mainly worshipped a God called Yahweh. Meeting the Greeks, a powerful force who worshiped the Gods equally as did Egypt, caused a spiritual revolution among the commoner populace of Egypt. The Egyptians were no longer special. Worshiping many Gods? So did the Greeks. In their spiritual confusion, many Egyptians came to the conclusion that the Jews were not false at all. In fact, their God, as well as the Greek Gods, were just as real as the Egyptian ones. This religion stated the incredible belief that the reason the cultures of the world are so different is because they are actively made up of different Gods. The religion had a name: Pankemetism.

Spoiler :

That's right, it's already time for you guys to pick a new UHV. Again, this will keep going until the game ends.

Oh yes, by the way, to clarify, I've decided not to progress with the game until you guys give me the UHVs. It also helps to have comments that let me know people are reading my stories. Please keep this in mind

UHV: Ptolemaic Greatness

build The Great Library and the Pharos of Alexandria by 300 a.d.

UHV: Otto-who's-the-man Empire?

Sorry Moai_Spammer, but I don't think my version has the Pharaohs of Alexandria.

Anyway, don't expect an update tommorow, or sunday morning, as I have a trip with dad and work, respectively.

Pharos of Alexandria is actually the Great Lighthouse.

In portuguese we call it Farol de Alexandria, so it was easy to guess that Pharos of Alexandria was indeed the Great Lighthouse because of the sound of it and the way it's written. Is Pharos a synonym of Lighthouse in english? Or is it a word in Latin? I had never seen the word 'Pharos' before.

It means nothing to me in English :p I looked it up, it's actually the place where the lighthouse was built.

Yeah, in italian lighthouse is Faro too. See, you barbarians non-latin influenced countries? You know nothing! :hammer:

UHV: Otto-who's-the-man Empire?

Sorry Moai_Spammer, but I don't think my version has the Pharaohs of Alexandria.

Anyway, don't expect an update tommorow, or sunday morning, as I have a trip with dad and work, respectively.

the Pharos of Alexandria is just another name for the great lighthouse. It just felt weird to put the great library and the great lighthouse together so i used the other name

The Middle Kingdom Era

One of the final achievements of the Old Kingdom of Egypt was the construction of Abdju, a city southwest of the capital. The existence of Pankemetism had recently become known to the conservative priests of Orthodox Kemetism, which asserted that only the Egyptian Gods were true. The priests put pressure on the kind but ineffective Pharaoh Dsjot-Men to get rid of the Pankemitists. Dsjot-Men felt that the best solution was to force the known Pankemetists to settle in the newly created city, thus taking their influence away from the capital. However, his plan backfired, as many Pankemetists practiced their rituals in secret. All Dsjot-Men had done was spread Pankemetism all over the kingdom.

Spoiler :

The Old Kingdom staggered along for a few more decades, increasingly cracking down on Pankemetists until finally, they had enough. Despite the religion's persecution, it was popular with most lower and middle-class citizens, who were the ones actively trading with foreigners (who worshiped foreign Gods) and who saw Orthodox Kemetism as an elitist religion. On the day a law was announced that made any suspected Kemetist's whole family executed, violence against the status quo erupted. Eventually the ruling order was overthrown, and Mer-Het, a rare Pankemetist noble, was made Pharaoh.

Spoiler :

The first major event to happen after the foundation of the Middle Kingdom of Egypt was first contact with the Pheonecian city-states. Word had already spread throughout the Middle East of the incredible story of the Pankemetic Revolution (as it came to be known to generations far in the future), and the Egyptians were all to happy to provide, as long as they were able to read the writing to ensure its accuracy. As it turned out, Egypt was looking for a way to distance itself from Orthodox Kemetism, and borrowing the writing from the Phoenecians was the perfect opportunity for them.

Spoiler :

There were also many advances in arts of warfare during the early days of the Middle Kingdom. Bronze working and chariot warfare was introduced into the Egyptian psyche during this period.

Spoiler :

Soon after the invention of chariot warfare, exciting news reached the Egyptians. In a land far to the east called Persia, word of Pankemetism and its resulting revolution reached the ears of the ruler of that land, Shah Failak, who decided to adopt the Cosmopolitan theology of the Egyptians in order to further unify his empire. While this did not mean much politically, it was a point of pride for the Egyptian commoners to know that they had produced such an enlightened religion.

Spoiler :

Sadly, Pankemetism would not stop the Egyptians from viewing the Nubians (who were frequently enslaved), as inferiors. The constant abuse suffered at the hands of the Egyptians, as well as the recently established fact that the ruling order of a nation could be destroyed, encouraged the Nubians to rise up. Unlike most slave rebellions of the ancient world, this one was well-organized. The Nubian slaves were able to gather up horses in the area, and would attempt to use them for their own attempts at war. As horses were vital to the Egyptian military at the time, it was imperative that rebellion was quickly suppressed. Although the Egyptians were not able to suppress the rebellion immediately, they were able to scramble the leadership enough so that the Nubians were unable to use the captured horses to their full advantage. Soon after, the Egyptians were able to put down the rebellion.

Spoiler :

The failed slave rebellion served as a wake-up-call to the upper echelons of Egyptian society, who understood how dangerously close Egypt had come to being destroyed. Although many plans on how to avoid such a catastrophe in the future were discussed, the one ultimately chosen came from the mind of Hon-t-to-kheb, an Egyptian noblewoman. Her idea was simple. The only way to prevent such a thing from happening again was to destroy all potential enemies of the kingdom within and without. While the idea may seem too simple and closed-minded to possibly work today, there were no previous examples of the ultimate fate of world conquerors back then. The War of Egyptian Aggression, or The Security War as it was called in Egypt, had begun with the surprise attack on the Persian city of Yerushalayim.

Spoiler :

During the war, the Egyptians discovered the Babylonian empire, and although it was a possible threat, the Pharaoh at the time, Neb-Amen, wisely decided to avoid declaring war on them, and instead chose to teach them the ways of Pankemetism, so as to hopefully get on the Babylonians' good side. Although Pankemetism had not caught on in Babylon, the Babylonian functions of priests caught on in Egyptian society.

Spoiler :

The Phoenician city-state of Sur was not as well-defended against attacks as the Babylonians were, and thus they were the second major city to fall victim to the Egyptians. The other Phoenician city-states would predictably not stand for seeing one of their own get captured due to blind foreign aggression, so they decided to form a coalition against the Middle Kingdom.

Spoiler :

At this point Egypt was forced to fight on two fronts: That of the Levant, and Egypt proper. While Carthaginian Elephants were dispatched against Egypt proper. Realizing that their chariots could never compete with the Elephants alone, the Egyptians went to the one civilization that was willing to help them build weapons to fight against the Elephants: The Greeks, who were frankly flattered that they were the main reason that the current government existed.

Although the Egyptians won, it was a hard fought battle. The Egyptians themselves took more casualties than the Carthaginians, even though they had forced the many of the commoners into battle in order to gain a numerical advantage.

Spoiler :

If technology saved the Egyptian front, then fine generalship saved the Levant. Egypt was clearly victorious in these battles, although in the chaos, the Babylonians grabbed some territory from Egypt. Egypt was already facing a war with the Persians and the Phoenicians, and Ra-mei, the Pharaoh at the time, had no desire to yet add the Babylonians to the mix. Only time would tell if the Egyptians would keep their victories going after the beginning of the war...

Spoiler :

As always, comments on my playing style and writing style are much appreciated. Comments of anything relating to the story really. Sorry if I'm pushy about this, but it does help to know that people are reading and (hopefully) liking my epic.

As always, comments on my playing style and writing style are much appreciated. Comments of anything relating to the story really. Sorry if I'm pushy about this, but it does help to know that people are reading and (hopefully) liking my epic.

don't let lack of comments get to ya, people are reading even if they don't make it known, especially the lurkers

The lurkers are the heart of this community. It isn't rare to have like 1 user logged in and 20 lurkers at the same time. Even us sometime read and don't post, but the lurkers can't even post because they don't have an account in CFC.

A good measure is counting the number of views. See a Tryst with Destiny for example. Everytime an update is out, the number of views increase a lot, but normally only 1 or 2 people besides the writer give a comment.

Top Bottom