RFCA - Arts thread

EDIT: look down, there is the finished version

:eek:
You are freakingly awsome!! :D

I will gladly use them :). But just one note: Don't put too much effort into the chinese ones... Bakuel will do the Chinese dynasties with historical accuracy (he already said, that Han, Tang, Song, Ming and maybe pre-Han, will get their unit sets) just like he did for the SoI civs and thr Russian empires... That's also the reason why I delayed adding units that much...
But neverteless, the Persian one will be certainly in there :).

:eek:
You are freakingly awsome!! :D

I will gladly use them :). But just one note: Don't put too much effort into the chinese ones... Bakuel will do the Chinese dynasties with historical accuracy (he already said, that Han, Tang, Song, Ming and maybe pre-Han, will get their unit sets) just like he did for the SoI civs and thr Russian empires... That's also the reason why I delayed adding units that much...
But neverteless, the Persian one will be certainly in there :).

Me + my brother's computer + way too much time = more diversity for you mod!:lol:

That sounds great! Though i like the early chinese art, but the current late chinese art can be used for Vietnam etc.

EDIT: Request deleted; Nevermind, i found a decent one.

EDIT: No, not here. Still some posts down there.

At the moment, i'm gathering some SE asian units' art; and i'm quite desperatly trying to include the Phak'ak merijn has shown. It looks pretty cool, but if i make it the pikeman, Birma will have them (to defend against Mongols), and as an infantry, Sri Vijaya will start with 'em. Both will end up being pretty strange. And giving the Khmer an extra Artstyle because of that unit isn't worth the effort.
I'm asking you to make the Phak'ak the Khmer UU. The bonus? Maybe extra city attack, or a couple of first strikes, or no ressource requirement. But that's not the point. The Ballista Elephant is pretty useless atm. There aren't any cavalry units nearby, and if the Mongols arrive, they attack with Keshiks only.
What do you think?

Great:goodjob:
While reasearching a little about an extra ability i found this:
http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/armies/dba110.html
It says that ballista elephants were actually used by Cham; Firaxis really screwed that up...:p
My idea was to make them a replacement for Pikeman (duh), with extra strength against Elephant Units, and attacking them first (like the Ballista Elephant used to do with mounted units), so people doesn't miss their former UU all too much. But i just don't know if the enemies are using elephants enough.

The SE asian artstyle is almost finished. I would have made them something like this: The early units (archer, spearman etc.) from the vietnamese, the middle era (composite archer, infantry, etc) from the khmer and the late from the siam VD artstyle. After including them in-game, i had to see that i don't like the siam units (sorry:( for the creator), and so i think they would be better with the current late chinese artstyle...
it might be ready at the weekend.

While researching for more units, i found this:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14132
It kept me thinking why Saibotlieh wanted to make vietnamese female soldiers. And the answer is quite simple: they say that the army of the Trung sisters consisted of women for a large part! I'm quite thrilled about that: We could make a more or less amazon-civ out of Vietnam, at least for the early stage (Well, because there are no late female vietnamese soldiers, but it's not that bad i guess).
So Vietnam gets an extra artstyle, the early unit are female, and the units that come later will get either the chinese artstyle or the SE asian one (which are both male).
The units from the link above are archer, light and heavy footman and horse archer.
Scout
Spy
Elephant Rider
Early Warlord
That's all the units they come to build, i guess. Giving them female soldiers would make them so damn unique:).
Not to mention, the SE asian artstyle would be used by Khmer, Birma, Nanzhao and maybe Sri Vijaya.

Hey everyone,

so i made this. First, i was annoyed by the european look of the units, so i made the chinese set. Chinese units used by Ghaznavids would look odd, so i used units from SoI for them. After i finished the south-east asian artstyle i couldn't stand the indians, so they have their own now, too. And some units from the steppe-artstyle where missing too, so guess what:mischief:
The vietnamese have their own artstyle (chinese, with early female units; i havn't heard any complaints) and so does Tocharistan (except for worker, settler and GG they got the steppe one). Was it worth the effort? i guess not. Did i do it anyway? I betcha!

The one thing left to do is optimization. Some garbage is left, due to trying out what looks best. But i don't have the time right now to do that. I'm just happy it works (and that it's even crash-free for me)
And you know: Once i give you anything big, i'm pretty sure going on a hiatus. At least for 2 and a half weeks i can't play anymore, once again exams are ahead. (How dare we have a life besides civ?) But i will look into the thread once in a while, which means checking every five minutes if someone posted something:lol:.

There aren't any issues left, apart from some units missing. No chinese Heavy Horse Archer, no bombard; but that's it. I even got the persian spy to move:D Don't worry about Birma's, Nanzhao's and Chalukya's color; it's just me trying out something. They aren't part of the files. I found some art for UUs, but you don't have to take them (it's just the first thing i found). And buttons are missing, though, almost every unit (apart from the vietnam's female soldiers) use the vanilla buttons. I like the style of the Bowman's button, maybe you can find more of those kind.
And there are two file because the attachment manager was b**ching around.

In the end, i made this for me, but i thought the other people here deserve to play with this art as well. Have fun!

EDIT: I didn't made a single unit. Thanks to edead, bakuel and The Capo for this magnificent art.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 85
  • Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0025.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 76
I know i should be learning, but I'm still tired from watching the Super Bowl, so there is no point in even trying. That's what i tried so far this afternoon. What do you think?
Spoiler :

Not exactly finished, i know.

Attachments

• screenie.png
    screenie.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 294
Looks great! By the way, there's also a started attempt at Hongwu by veBear in the database, which might be completed with less effort than an entirely new LH (though I don't know exactly what's left to do there). I'm not entirely selfless in suggesting this, because DoC might need another Ming LH too as soon as Wang Kon is needed elsewhere ;)

And we've got the same first name :D

It's meant to be Song Gaozong. I thought people would notice that:lol:
Can you give me a link to veBear's Hongwu?

Having that first name is a price you pay for being born in the late 80's, i guess:D

Now that I see what you already did here, I even feel badder than before... Amazing! I am happy to have such an industrious artist! :)
Just a quick question: What did you change in the UnitInfos.xml file? The reason I ask is that I completely restructured the file....

Thanks!:D

I wanted the chinese units as a basis, most of the units have the chinese art defines in the <UnitMeshGroups> tag. I wanted the chinese art to be shown in the civilopedia, which is way better then european ones; but actually i changed not all of them, which leaves the subject in a bit of a mess:blush:

Just a few quick questions and comments:
- You're adding Seleucos for the new Seleucid civ. Do you plan to use the Seleucos LH from the database? Because i think there are better ones around tbh. Amphianax or Phyrrus looks a lot better imo.
- Since you say that you have updated art for Dharmasetu: Do you really intend to replace the current one with the one veBear is using for his Indonesia module? The one in the current version looks just awesome, it could easily be one of Firaxis' LHs. And the other one; i don't want to be too harsh, but it's not Den's best work. Not using Indravarman would be such a waste.
- Do you have plans with Sejong? Because i'm afraid we have too much chinese LHs now:rolleyes:
- Abaoji wasn't leader of the Jurchen but the Khitan. So, someone had to say it. He should be renamed to an actual Jurchen leader, and i think that Taizu, the first emperor of the Jin dynasty would be best. Possible names could be Jin Taizu, but also his jurchen name Wanyen Akuta or just Akuta, which i prefer. The difference from Akuta to Taizu is like the difference from Kublai Khan to Shengde (his title as chinese emperor).
It's a bit awkward that veBear made him as Abaoji for us and we have to rename him:lol:
- To avoid the mystery tech, you could declare those barbarian units UUs for the barbarians.

EDIT:
- Bukhara had a bunch of names troughout history: Time for some flavoring!
Spoiler :
-initial name: Numijkat
-conquered by Tocharians: Bumiskat (those two are so-so historical. The city had those name earlier, but not particulary when they were owned by Kushana or whatever, at least i don't exactly know)
-conquered by Chinese, especially Tang: Buhe
-conquered by Seleukids: Bukhara
-Göktürks and Ghaznavids already has unique ones (Buxoro and Buhara)

and Samarkand is Sama'erhan in chinese, Markanda in greek.

Just a few quick questions and comments:
- You're adding Seleucos for the new Seleucid civ. Do you plan to use the Seleucos LH from the database? Because i think there are better ones around tbh. Amphianax or Phyrrus looks a lot better imo.
- Since you say that you have updated art for Dharmasetu: Do you really intend to replace the current one with the one veBear is using for his Indonesia module? The one in the current version looks just awesome, it could easily be one of Firaxis' LHs. And the other one; i don't want to be too harsh, but it's not Den's best work. Not using Indravarman would be such a waste.
- Do you have plans with Sejong? Because i'm afraid we have too much chinese LHs now:rolleyes:
- Abaoji wasn't leader of the Jurchen but the Khitan. So, someone had to say it. He should be renamed to an actual Jurchen leader, and i think that Taizu, the first emperor of the Jin dynasty would be best. Possible names could be Jin Taizu, but also his jurchen name Wanyen Akuta or just Akuta, which i prefer. The difference from Akuta to Taizu is like the difference from Kublai Khan to Shengde (his title as chinese emperor).
It's a bit awkward that veBear made him as Abaoji for us and we have to rename him:lol:
- To avoid the mystery tech, you could declare those barbarian units UUs for the barbarians.

1. Actually, I already use Pyrrhus for Seleucos :lol:. The only thing that bugs me is the sea behind him ;).
2. I use the old one for the Philippine leader... Do you think we should switch them?
3. Hmm... Actuallay not... maybe as a second ruler for Korea? (Although I don't know if we should use additional leaders at all...)
4. D'oh! You noticed that! Now I need to change that too. :lol: I knew about this but somehow, I forgot to change that ;).
5. I don't even need the mystery tech for it... I just give them production costs of -1. I need the mystery techs for other things... It will be removed eventually.

I added the names for Bukhara and Samarkand. Thanks!

For the background: Just tell us which one you like and we will put it in instead. But it's really not that hard to figure out how it works. All you need is nifscope and a programm to view dds files; even i managed it in a few minutes:p

I always forget about Butuan. Then we do have some kind of situation here. Honestly, i don't really like to see Gajah Mada in the mod.
The good thing about Butuan is that hardly noone knows anything about them. And all i can think of is "indianized kingdom", so we can use any LH from India to Phillipines.
Some examples:
Den's Taxilas
Giving them the old Vikramayaditya and Chalukya is using Chandragupta Maurya instead
Shaybani Khan with another BG
Fernanado Marcos with another BG and reskinned clothes
I'm sure i will end up using one of those in my version, it's up to you to decide about the offical one.

We don't need a second LH for the civs, that's true. I mean, most of them didn't last long enough to have two significant leaders;). SoI doesn't switch LH iirc and they are doing fine.
I was asking because we could use Sejong as Hongwu, they do look alike, and we could use the old Bilge as Bilge again.

Koreans can settle Kyushu, right? It's a nice city with some resources, and a naval base to attack Japan with ships. Korea deserves a name for that spot on the very west of Kyushu: Gilyagaeri. It's the Hanja reading of Yoshinogari, where they found a large Yayoi town, and Yayoi people are pretty likely immigrated from Korea. Okay, it's a little speculative, but it's better than having a city name in Japan that's supposed to be in Korea. Renamed to Yoshinogari if conquered by the Japanese, but not vice versa. The 2 tiles east of it can have that name too.
You just can't have enough of unique city names:D

And thanks to veBear for the tutorials. Already used it to make Gaozong less chubby than Kublai is.

For the background: Just tell us which one you like and we will put it in instead. But it's really not that hard to figure out how it works. All you need is nifscope and a programm to view dds files; even i managed it in a few minutes:p

I always forget about Butuan. Then we do have some kind of situation here. Honestly, i don't really like to see Gajah Mada in the mod.
The good thing about Butuan is that hardly noone knows anything about them. And all i can think of is "indianized kingdom", so we can use any LH from India to Phillipines.
Some examples:
Den's Taxilas
Giving them the old Vikramayaditya and Chalukya is using Chandragupta Maurya instead
Shaybani Khan with another BG
Fernanado Marcos with another BG and reskinned clothes
I'm sure i will end up using one of those in my version, it's up to you to decide about the offical one.

We don't need a second LH for the civs, that's true. I mean, most of them didn't last long enough to have two significant leaders;). SoI doesn't switch LH iirc and they are doing fine.
I was asking because we could use Sejong as Hongwu, they do look alike, and we could use the old Bilge as Bilge again.

Koreans can settle Kyushu, right? It's a nice city with some resources, and a naval base to attack Japan with ships. Korea deserves a name for that spot on the very west of Kyushu: Gilyagaeri. It's the Hanja reading of Yoshinogari, where they found a large Yayoi town, and Yayoi people are pretty likely immigrated from Korea. Okay, it's a little speculative, but it's better than having a city name in Japan that's supposed to be in Korea. Renamed to Yoshinogari if conquered by the Japanese, but not vice versa. The 2 tiles east of it can have that name too.
You just can't have enough of unique city names:D

And thanks to veBear for the tutorials. Already used it to make Gaozong less chubby than Kublai is.

You wouldn't believe how terrible I am at arts :lol:. But in the end, I don't think the BG is that important, I will do it later.

I don't know why you find Gajah Mada so terrible... I think he is a nice LH and fits better for Tondo (Butuan).

Hmm, and there I thought you got used to the new Bilge ;). The only think I don't like about Sejong is his similarity to Taizong....

Just keep those names coming! I find this one of the most interesting features :).

Top Bottom