RFCE OMG! Look what happened!

If you're asking me, then yes, i'm pretty sure i am (it's been a long time though, but i remember actively keeping updated with the mod until development stopped).

I remember the major changes being a few new provinces added in (i.e. Holstein), the addition of waterways for ships to pass through land (Denmark, Gallipoli) and some general map redesigns (seriously, looking at the old map in RFCE++ makes me realize how different things were back then).

But yeah, my pictures have evidence of the dynamic names i added in. I think they look quite nice compared to the static names from before. To my knowledge, the only civs who have actively changing names (not counting vassals, civics, or religion) in the base mod are Arabia, Bulgaria, and Vikings.

Yeah, those were along my latest changes for the current svn version
I consider that to be RFCE 1.2

Most civs have some dynamic names, but you are right, most are set up poorly. and the rest are simply outdated, especially compared to the DCN thread
To be honest, DCN always seemed somewhat low priority to me, was on the bottom of my list
So implemeting those plans in the thread was kinda left out in the end, unintentionally of course

NATO intervention in Libya 700 years early...never thought the AI could do that.

Attachments

• RFCE_unexpectednavalinvasion.jpg
    RFCE_unexpectednavalinvasion.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 851
Speaking of which - are the French dynamic names going to be fixed so that at least we don't see "Frankish Empire" the entire game?

I lost the screenie, but I witnessed Scotland build a city in Galicia after I (as Portgual) had razed La Coruna. Not kidding.

I'm not really sure what do you mean here.
The increasing number of units?

I'm not really sure what do you mean here.
The increasing number of units?

I think I'm getting waaaaay to many crusader units, especially on the last. Didn't historical crusades scale down in each attempt? Even when the troops go home, the last crusade had 30~40? units left, obviously enough to obliterate Arabia.
Note that they aren't cumulative, all units from previous crusades in each of the pics were either dead, flipped or goofing around elsewhere.

I think I'm getting waaaaay to many crusader units, especially on the last. Didn't historical crusades scale down in each attempt? Even when the troops go home, the last crusade had 30~40? units left, obviously enough to obliterate Arabia.
Note that they aren't cumulative, all units from previous crusades in each of the pics were either dead, flipped or goofing around elsewhere.

Yeah, I agree, but that's an indirect increase, not something directly set this way.
ATM rules of units are the same for all Crusades.
The increase is because for later Crusades civs contribute more units, as they have more excess units in most games. There are usually more Catholic civs too.
This is not always the case though, in some games where there were lot's of wars, most later Crusades were indeed weaker, as it historically happened.

Not exactly - some of the later crusades (particularly the 5th and 6th) were comparable in size to the earliest ones. But they were less successful, largely because they faced the more powerful Ayyubids and Zengids rather than the disintegrating Fatamids, and also because the Crusaders had effectively severed their own supply links through the 4th Crusade.

But I do agree that the scaling up of units is a bit much - 73 units is ridiculous in that game! Is it possible to cap the total size of a crusading army at 25 units? That seems a reasonable number, particularly in light of the weakness of the Arab civ in the absence of much of Egypt, Arabia and Mesopotamia from the map.

Will try to set that later Crusades are roughly the same size, or only somewhat smaller than the first one.
Also, I reduced even the first one to some degree.
These are only if the target is an AI civ, for the human player Crusades should remain a huge threat.
Also found some mistakes in the setup which resulted in some unintentional units in some cases.

Civ4ScreenShot0087.JPG
That's what could happen to real life Europe when Austria becomes Ottoman vassal. Ottomans had 239 Pistolliers.

View attachment 460448 That's what could happen to real life Europe when Austria becomes Ottoman vassal. Ottomans had 239 Pistolliers.

Dude this France is soooo small, idk what kind of game this was, but obviously not a regular uhv march. Really strange though... :D

Well, I was trying to keep France more or less historical. Morocco vassalized to Turkey -- you can see how big Morocco is, so that's imidiately triggered Ottoman victory!

Top Bottom