1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RFCEurope 1.5

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, May 5, 2017.

1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I dunno. Something that isn't used in that region. Green?

No idea. I just used the Dutch spawn. Every time I've done so I see Castile irrelevant, Kiev huge and powerful, and (forgot to mention) France totally gone.

One more thing: England's name becomes "Great Britain" once it vassalizes Scotland, but shouldn't Scotland have a better name than "Earldom of Lothian?" It is part of the union after all.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I thought Prussian Blue will be the first suggestion.
    At least that's every other one in EU4 :lol:

3. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

I agree about Lithuania/Prussia and Burgundy/Aragon. Would like to add one thing though- apparently Genoa and Prussia have the exact same shade of light gray. I was playing as Genoa recently and had Norway and Sweden as vassals. Dying Novgorod jumped on the "they-did-their-second-UHV" dogpile, so I sent my army in Sweden over to deal with them. Their now-Genoan cities were snug up against Prussia... and I couldn't tell where my culture ended and Prussia's began. :lol:
    I'd also like to see something like this. I look at the stability guide fairly often, so I have a pretty good idea what will affect it positively or negatively, but it'd be nice to have an idea where the numbers are coming from. For instance, under Expansion I might have +17/-26 (numbers pulled from posterior). The 17 is probably from my initial settling and building castles, but how much of that -26 is for having too many cities, or from cities in red provinces, or colonies, or what?

4. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Novgorod Green or Cordoban Green? ;)

QManNL likes this.
  5. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Yes, green Aragon would be nice like Lombardy in ++.
    Lithuania could be dark grey to make it a major distinction.

6. FakeShady

FakeShady Chieftain

anyone running civ 4 on steam? I dont think my 10 years old CD works anymore. Are we allowed to freely mod Steam's Civ 4? I recall Steam updates messing with mods on some of my other games...

Also, do Civs still spawn unconditionally, as long as the year is reached?

7. Chep

Chep Chieftain

get it on GOG.com instead of steam ;)

no idea how the mods work with steam, but yeah civs spawn when their time has come.

8. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

The game works fine with Steam. I've experienced absolutely no problems with Civ4 mods.

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Civs usually use colors that can be associated with their historic flag or coat of arms.
    There are some mistakes, and it can't be solved everywhere perfectly, but we should aim for that nevertheless.
    I don't think green fits either Prussia or Aragon.
    One more reason for changing the Prussian color. If that's changed then Lithuania can stay the way it is now.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yep, Civ IV is free to mod on Steam too. I don't think there could be any restrictions if it was true for the original version.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Conditional spawns did came up a couple times, and actually it's not hard at all to implement it from a technical point of view.
    On the other hand it would be very strange gameplay wise, if say the Ottomans didn't spawn at all.

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Balance for these civs fairly often change in the mod. Cordoba and Kiev were both significantly buffed recently.
    So yeah, AI Castile could probably use a couple more starting units. Also I definitely plan to make some of their core cities better with the map updates.
    Btw, the goal is to have Cordoba as the more powerful player in the Iberian peninsula, so Castile alone can't really match it, and the tides turn later with the Portuguese & Aragonese spawns, with a decisive advantage to the Christian civs when the Chivalric Orders spread.
    It's hard to balance it, especially since in most games we don't want Cordoba to collapse/conquer Castile in the meantime.
    What would be better in your opinion?
    You can find all the implemented DCN names in the corresponding help file in the Reference folder of the mod.
    It's rather uniformized for most of the already updated civs.

13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

How would you distinct them from the independents then?

14. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

I would still love it if Rûm was added; it would force the Byzantines out of central Anatolia, it would be comparable in size to civs like Genoa and Burgundy, and its relationship to the Ottomans could be taken from other RFC mods--Ottomans could be a playable respawn of Rûm à la DoC, and Rûm would be crushed 9 times out of 10 by Anatolian Mongols like in SoI. Their UHVs could probably be to never lose a city, to control all of Anatolia and Greece by 1450, and....Islamic Faith Points, maybe? But then it's basically Bulgaria from the other side :lol:

The Turk likes this.
  15. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

I'm pretty sure the Ottomans aren't a respawn of the Seljuks in DoC, but yeah I'd agree that a Rum civ would be a good addition.

cmakk1012 likes this.
  16. 2phunkey4u

2phunkey4u West-Eastern Divan

Personally, I don't have any trouble discerning Prussia/Lithuania and Aragon/Burgundy. Primary colors are similar, yes, but still different if you pay attention. And secondary colors are fine. But if you think it's absolutely necessary...

You could give Lithuania a bright red-and-blue as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Lithuania#/media/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Lithuania.svg It would be hard on the eyes, but still discernible from Poland and Muscovy.

But you could also make Leon purple(or red)-and-white (or gold) (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._Arms.svg/2000px-Kingdom_of_Leon_Arms.svg.png) and then swap the primary/secondary of Aragon.

17. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

True, I just meant like Rome/Italy and Persia/Iran, just to not have to add a new civ

18. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

I don't think that would be much if an issue given how many civs RFCE has currently. Also, hasn't AbsintheRed already expressed how he really doesn't like respawns of civs as other polities?

19. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I have absolutely no idea. Something that reflects its status as a junior partner in the union?

20. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Yeah, but in this case wouldn't the respawn make sense as one is the direct descendant of the other? If Rûm didn't collapse there would never be an Ottoman state