Resource icon

[BNW] Rhye's Catapult 2020-06-02

Thank you for your input.
I added the correction in the north but for Hungary, sorry Soma, that like doesn't fit the scale of the map. Eastern Europe is also a little bit sacrificed by the need of a larger Western Europe
View attachment 553919

There is no words in Russian (or in English) - which describe my feelings amout this Map:cool:

On the same time I found geografical issue:
Currently we have no crimean mountains!
Perhaps the most simple way how to solve it - transform south tile of crimean plains to hill and delete (or remove 1tile east) cubanian hill - then we will have both (Crimean and Adugea's Rocks)
Also south-ukrainian "desert" is so TINY in reality - may be regular plain will be much better!

Attachments

• Map suggestions CIV5.jpg
    Map suggestions CIV5.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 269
Like you never played TETЯIS as a child?

Seriously, I would associate something like this with Russia (see attached pictures), or stylized berdish picture. Definitely not Я, and not sure about abstract patterns. After all, Russian ideology was orthodox christianity for the most part of it's existence.

Attachments

• Russia1.jpg
    Russia1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Russia2.jpg
    Russia2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 161
Y
Like you never played TETЯIS as a child?

Seriously, I would associate something like this with Russia (see attached pictures), or stylized berdish picture. Definitely not Я, and not sure about abstract patterns. After all, Russian ideology was orthodox christianity for the most part of it's existence.
You mean ТЕТРИС? Да, между выгулами медведя и питиём водки.

I updated the screenshots in the first page.
There you can see also some new graphics. City names are still a work in progress.

The mod has been going through deep changes (also bc1 is helping me); the number of playable and appearing civs has been extended beyond 22, as you can also see from the screenshots.
I hope to make it by the 10th, but it's possible that I'll need a few more days to make sure that the build is stable and more or less playable.

I think that not many people outside Russia immediately associate the two headed eagle, but let's keepit if no consent is found on an easier alternative (most of them are lame ;) I do like the ушанка though)
Let's keep the double-headed eagle. It has been the Russian coat of arms for centuries, and still is.

I updated the screenshots in the first page.
There you can see also some new graphics. City names are still a work in progress.

The mod has been going through deep changes (also bc1 is helping me); the number of playable and appearing civs has been extended beyond 22, as you can also see from the screenshots.
I hope to make it by the 10th, but it's possible that I'll need a few more days to make sure that the build is stable and more or less playable.
We are all waiting for your great comeback, Rhye. Can you give us some more info about mechanics or special abilitis of countries?
P.S. Please, Russia is not red-white!((( Maybe yellow-white-black like flag of russian empire?

Attachments

• загружено (1).jpg
    загружено (1).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
We are all waiting for your great comeback, Rhye. Can you give us some more info about mechanics or special abilitis of countries?
P.S. Please, Russia is not red-white!((( Maybe yellow-white-black like flag of russian empire?

Civ-5 already has unique-powers for ALL civs:egypt:
But I agree with your idea in different aspect: few civs will have some problems with their "original" Unique Powers
There is my short-list of them!

Chinese:
Powerful military-bonus is great in random maps but I have no ideas about Rhyes and Fall version (perhaps more peace-oriented Power represent Chinese Civ better;
P.S. On the same time: if Player/AI need UNITE chinese sity-states it will be actual;

Germans/Ottomans:
So currently they have bonuses against barbarians and ships? Perhaps both are very actual in the regular maps but I think they are not for Earth-Map;

Spanish:
Well... discover-focus' Power it's cool and effective in regular maps but I even can't imagine how Spain will habe benefits from it now;

Americans: as I understand civ's perspective - "cheap" land is long-term oriented Power, is it (but it's not so unique as Rhye' and Fall for Civ-4)

Very useful remark. Indeed some powers will need to be changed, as some power would become almost useless, such as the German.
I would like to leave that for after you start playing it and report what needs to be adjusted.

For sure at least a couple of civs will change completely: that's the Huns and the Mongols, which will be forced to make a nomad playstyle: no settlers, but new units spawning each city conquest. Huns will disband cities so they are helpful to clean up the map.

I don't think it's good to use some sort of balalaika or vodka as a symbol of Russia. If we would have hamburger as the US symbol that would be bad.
After all, I see this mod as a serious project, not funny or parodying.
The only good alternative to double-headed eagle is Spasskaya tower of Moscow Kremlin, I think.
It would a) reflect in-game significance of Moscow as a center of the Russian civilization and b) reflect both Tsardom/Empire legacy and a Soviet one.

Maybe BETA? Just for acquaintance\familiarization. :egypt:

Beta? I'm trying to make an ALPHA out of it XD
It needs to be playable, i.e. it should not crash, or have unreasonably long loading times; should work properly in terms of AI city founding and game speed balance. That's the minimum for a release, whatever it takes. Further things will be added following your and other users' feedback.
I wanted to finish by this week but also I have work to do and can't do more than this.
By the end of this week I will post more info (also at your request) and more screenshots.

Last edited:
a question to you all. How much do you actually play the late game?

in RFC / Catapult the timeline will be very different. A very pronounced focus on classical/medieval/renaissance, giving the time to actually develop the Old World and see it fall, whereas the standard game seems to jump quickly to 1400 and then technology tree booms, with so much stuff packed in the industrial/modern/atomic/information ages.
These late ages will become irrelevant in this mod if I leave it like that, so I'll make a few cuts to the late game technology tree.
No content will be deleted except for X-COM and death robots (which would be deleted in any case, regardless of timeline considerations)

When I play Civ5, Brave New World at least, the late-game is the coolest part.

In a mod like this where the other thing will be more played you could balance the late game with the early/mid game. In other words, do the Classical-Renaissance thing but keep the late game relevant.

There are a lot of RFCDOC players in here demanding changes to powers and icons...

Keep it for a lot later folks. Remember DOC has gone through over 5 years of dev time and so we already have the base to argue about these things. For now the most important things are making sure this mod works and that the map is both balanced and accurate. So yes I agree vodka is a stupid symbol but it doesn't matter for now.

Top Bottom