Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
KingOfCiv said:
PS.. On another note you know where the goody-huts are near Washington and Lisbon. Heres the problems. The one by Washington is on a tree so it can't become a city of say New York!(So always New York is built in wrong place!)

That's good where it is: I don't want to give America an early bonus city

KingOfCiv said:
The goody-hut that is near Lisbon it is usally found by Portuagual and is found as a settler and becomes a Portagese city and it should be Seville and thats a Spanish city. So either add that city name to Portugal or do something to fix the goody-hut...because Portugal should be making there 2nd city up North.

Instead I want the Iberian goody hut to be a possible bonus city. Whoever takes it. It is not only Portugal.

Rhye,

Do you see why now I think America is wrong for this game/mod. Its like we can't give them New York because of becoming more powerful...But yet if we are to have them as America shouldn't we some what make them look real??

KOC

the goody hut isn't where you say New York is.
New York is in the plains below, and AI will never build a city there, because it is too close.
It wouln't built in the goody hut spot, too, as it is too close to Iroquois.

America should be weak and slow until early medieval - then they have various boosts

Rhye said:
blasphemous, is this unit (the Paris Gun) German-only?
No, apparently other similar guns were built during WWI but this was the most prominant example. You could, of course, make Lange Max the second German UU, but I think the Zeppelin is much more appropriate...

Rhye said:
I've added the Light Tank with a WWI tank animation (lower stats, requires rubber).
I left the Tank and the Modern Armor with their tank and their animation.
The Tank is postponed to the beginning of Modern Times and doesn't require rubber.

OK?

No. (!)

In Civ terms the WWI tank was insignificant. They were operational for less than a year and were pretty much competely useless.

The Civ Tank represents a WWII Sherman, a tank which served from mid 1940's into the 1950's. Lets say 10 years.

Tanks developed in the 1950's were used by some nations (e.g. Israel/Egypt/Jordan) into the 1980's. Around 35 years. (Some still use early 1960's designs today).

Civ turns are at least 1 year in length so there is absolutely no point in a WWI style tank unless the game length goes up to 1000 turns.

Blasphemous said:
No, apparently other similar guns were built during WWI but this was the most prominant example. You could, of course, make Lange Max the second German UU, but I think the Zeppelin is much more appropriate...

If it's not a problem having 2 UU's in the same era then I would choose the U- Boat and the Panzer as the 2 UU's. If Germany had built enough submarines they could have drastically affected WWI and defeated the UK in WWII. Pretty significant I would say. The Zeppelin is a bit like the F-15 American UU - it doesn't do anything.

Blasphemous said:
From here

I think this is the kind of thing I meant... What I was thinking is to have it mobile with 1 movement point, unlike what I proposed earlier, and also unlike what I proposed earlier, give it a range of 3 or 4, low bombard rating compared to Artillery and even compared to Cannon (due to the big gun's low accuracy) but a high ROF (say 4 or even 6. If the gun gets lucky it could redline a healty unit in a single barrage.) Should be very expensive so that you don't wanna risk it getting captured by an enemy.
I'll try and do some more reasearch and see how this kind fo gun was developed in WWII.

These guns are singular units, not mass weapons. I don't see them fitting in a game that has only 5 cities representing a country. Weapons like Lange Max and The Karl series from WWII were used EXTREMELY rarely. e.g only 7 Karl's were built and each weapon only fired a couple of dozen shells in their entire life!!

Asclepius said:
If it's not a problem having 2 UU's in the same era then I would choose the U- Boat and the Panzer as the 2 UU's. If Germany had built enough submarines they could have drastically affected WWI and defeated the UK in WWII. Pretty significant I would say. The Zeppelin is a bit like the F-15 American UU - it doesn't do anything.

You've always being saying that the fighter is useless and the bomber is important.
That is an early bomber

Asclepius said:
No. (!)

In Civ terms the WWI tank was insignificant. They were operational for less than a year and were pretty much competely useless.

The Civ Tank represents a WWII Sherman, a tank which served from mid 1940's into the 1950's. Lets say 10 years.

Tanks developed in the 1950's were used by some nations (e.g. Israel/Egypt/Jordan) into the 1980's. Around 35 years. (Some still use early 1960's designs today).

Civ turns are at least 1 year in length so there is absolutely no point in a WWI style tank unless the game length goes up to 1000 turns.

Well, let's see:

the new industrial tech tree ends in pre-atomic age.
Fighers, bombers, helicopters, marines, nuclear weapons are in the modern tree.

This means that the "light tank" has to be a tank which has been used since the invention until the 20s.

Instead, the tank in the modern should represent something used since WWII.

For now I'm using the MKIV animation for the first, and the standard animation for the second.

Post me some links if you find some user-made units more appropriate.

Is it possible for anyone to test the Xpack under development or is it just open for certain people because i'd love to give it a go.

Rhye, having the MKIV in as the first tank is almost like having one of the Wright brothers' later models as the first airplane... The WWI tanks were used for a VERY short while (one game turn), they were ineffective, and had altogether little impact on the great war. Machineguns and artillery made much more of a difference.

Asclepius, are you sure about that? Was there never large-scale use of big artillery?
I think that even if the big guns aren't in, there should be WWII artillery with a range of 2 since with the invention of radio and telephone artillery batteries could accurately and quickly shoot to great distances.

Blasphemous said:
Rhye, having the MKIV in as the first tank is almost like having one of the Wright brothers' later models as the first airplane... The WWI tanks were used for a VERY short while (one game turn), they were ineffective, and had altogether little impact on the great war. Machineguns and artillery made much more of a difference.

OK, so tell me which are the most important early tanks (from the invention to 1930).

Otherwise I'll remove the early tank, add a tech that allows machineguns (very interesting unit, I think it's a worth addition) and add a scout unit (a jeep?) available with mot. transport (which otherwise would become useless)

Rhye said:
OK, so tell me which are the most important early tanks (from the invention to 1930).

Otherwise I'll remove the early tank, add a tech that allows machineguns (very interesting unit, I think it's a worth addition) and add a scout unit (a jeep?) available with mot. transport (which otherwise would become useless)
I tried to look it up a bit and didn't find any info on prominant pre-WWII tanks... I think it would be best for the first tank to be an early-WWII model, the second to be a 1950/60's model, and the last being the MBT.

I've found the Renault FT17, first used in 1918.

I could replace the sherman with the Russian T-55 (cold war).

But this will create a problem with the Panzer: an older unit would replace a newer.
And I can't make it available earlier, as armoured warfare is in the first column of modern techs.

However I remember Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade movie: there was a scene with a tank, very similar to the MKs.

Another thing: is mech.inf. supposed to fire with cannon? Shouldn't it have a gun? It looks very similar to the modern armor. ( :blush: I admit that I have never played civ3 until late modern age....)

EDIT: I've found the right animations. I'll add them in the basic mod with the next patch, as this is an inaccuracy

Rhye said:
I've found the Renault FT17, first used in 1918.

I could replace the sherman with the Russian T-55 (cold war).

But this will create a problem with the Panzer: an older unit would replace a newer.
And I can't make it available earlier, as armoured warfare is in the first column of modern techs.

However I remember Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade movie: there was a scene with a tank, very similar to the MKs.
I don't think any tank before WWII was ever used to real effect, it would be better to have the first tank be the regular current tank (with slightly lowered stats perhaps), then have it upgrade to a cold war tank, and then to MBT if you have the aluminum and the cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom