1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Rhye, Feb 5, 2004.

?

Rate this mod!

1. I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

203 vote(s)
    66.6%
  2. A good mod, but I won't play with it

54 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. I don't like the map

13 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. I don't like the terrain

9 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. I don't like the additions

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. I don't like the rules changes

21 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

mmmm. I'll see what I can do. I must see if it is unbalancing or not.

2. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Sent the 0.34, with 2 new WWI units, a revised tech tree, the religions and the new wonders and many other fixes.
    Wonders pictures and civilopedia entries aren't included, so you'll have to look inside the editor to see the effect.
    Please test the Trading Company: the "allow water trade" ability generates the harbour symbol in each city (including the landlocked cities).

3. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Not a wrong term, It's just not an improvement already in the game so I meant to ask what this imp. is.
    About the harbor symbol, you could just replace the harbor symbol with something a bit more universal that will explain that it is for trade. I'll try and whip something up, I have a few hours to kill.
    Speaking of universal trade, don't you think Airport should generate money or something so it's not only good for trade and airflifting and those things?

4. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Looking through the biq... You gave Cathedral 2 maintainance and Mosque, Synagogue, and Monastery 0 maintainance. Is this on purpouse?
    Also I think they should have slightly different effects from one another...
    Like reducing corruption, reducing war weariness, even imiltary and financial benefits that can kinda represent the effects of the institutionalized worship in some of the religions.
    Also I see there is not yet the Sacrificial Altar imp... Why?
    Oh, and as I said a Myhtology is not a kind of religion, it's a set of stories. Rename the "Mythology" religions Polytheism (Greek Polytheism, etc.)

5. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Okay, I haven't managed to redo the harbor icon more universally, because I'm not much of an artist, but I can tell you what I was trying to draw:
    Simply two arrows , each making half the "circle" of the icon's area, each pointing to the "tail" of the other with its arrowhead. It kinda symbolizes trade. I dunno. Anyway, the file is Civilization III\Art\Cities\AirAndHarb.pcx. Anyone wanting to take a crack at it is welcome.
    Lemme warn you, the icons' outlines are not completely symmetrical, that can make it look kinda weird when you try and make things right near the outline of the icon's diamond shape.

6. Owain

Owain G Flashing Inaccessable

7. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

You do not have water required checked for harbors, so maybe that would do something. Its worth a try ;p

It might be a good idea to require water for the Trading Company itself, as it would only really be useful to a seafaring civ. I mean, lets be honest. Itd be kinda pointless if Russia built the Trading Company ;p

8. Owain

Owain G Flashing Inaccessable

hmm, not necesarily... I assume this will make it so that all the cities are linked via a trading network without roads, right...? Although I'm confused... The computer calculates trade networks over the ocean for harbors and checks to see if trade pathways are open (ie enemy vessels blocking trade lanes). Will this still function with this alteration? What will block the land-based trade-routes?

This is an interesting concept, just ocnfused about how it will actually work in game.

9. Horton

Horton Chieftain

Rome cannot upgrade any unit to legions in the latest expansion patch. This is a major problem. Now the Romans will have to build a 50 shield unit from scratch in order to mount any kind of ancient era offensive. Not only is this a huge pain for human players, but how will the AI manage to build any kind of force up when it is already preoccupied with building high cost settlers?

As it stands, Rome has become hamstrung with zero possibility of building any kind of decent ancient age empire. Please consider re-adding warriors to the legionary upgrade line. Taking away the extra hit point has fixed the issue with legions being too powerful that we saw in 0.11

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Don't worry, I know and I'll do that. I just want to put in the Roman warrior later, when I'll add the flavour units, to keep them all together.

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

No.

No sacrificial altar improvement.
    Sacrifices are allowed by the discover of Judaism, Pagan Cults and Meso techs.
    The ability of doubling sacrifice points is given to some wonders (Baal's altar and Temple of the Sun)

The tech they have from the beginning is polytheism. The tech they can discover after mysticism is the mythology. Isn't it good this way?

12. Procrastinator

Procrastinator Chieftain

FWIW:
    The "Ark of the Covenant" is pretty important in Jewish history. A small or great wonder?

The old testament tells of the constant battle for the hearts of the Jewish people between Yahweh and the Israelites' desire to incorporate aspects of the pagan religions of their neighbours. Perhaps make them pagan/judaism with a tweak to avoid them making any pagan imp./wonders (ie. basically to help the tech tree issue and possibly for historical/religious accuracy)?

The Reformation is pretty important in Christian history (the protestant ref. encouraged a less dramatic catholic ref. iirc). Worth a wonder or something?

Just my 2 cents worth :)

13. navman74

navman74 Chieftain

In several mod attempts I have made, as well as in the RAR mod, various wonders etc granting a harbor to every city, had the effect of crashing the game when harbors suddenly appeared in landlocked cities. I am unsure if you meant only the symbol or the actual harbor, but if the actual harbor, I can save you some time by telling you it WILL crash the game as soon as the computer realizes it is in cities not on the water.

14. Jaguar

Jaguar Lurker

Judaism? The first lesson in Judaism was the repudiation of human sacrifice.

15. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Ask Blasphemous. He said that there were sacrifices in Ancient Israel.

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Thanks. It's surely worth a wonder, but I'm forced not to include it because of the way religions work.

17. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I tried myself and it didn't crash. But an harbour appeared in every city.
    Then I tried to make T.C. put another improvement in every city (Trading Post) which is not coastal but only allows water trade.
    The result works, but the harbour symbol pops up everywhere anyway. It seems linked with that flag.

18. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

But maybe you're right.

http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/Human sacrifice

Here it says of Pagan, Norse, Celtic, Mesos and Chinese. No Jews.
    Not sure to what religion Chinese sacrifice is linked.

19. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

1. Fine, just thought it would be more appropriate for some religions to have altars instead of temples. And Judaism has never had human sacrifice, the ritual sacrifice in ancient times was of animals that were ritually cooked and eventually eaten by the holymen that ran the sacrifice.
    2. I think it would be better for the tech to be the different polytheisms... Think of it as branching out of Polytheism from a general vagueness to culture-specific sets of gods and beliefs.

3. The Ark of the Covenant is not exactly appropriate as a wrold wonder, seeing as it was a mobile thing that was lost forever a couple thousand years ago... And there's no need for another Jewish wonder.
    4) As a nation the Hebrews were never mostly pagan once Judaism came in... And anyway, the religions in the game come in at two slots, and Paganism and Judaism are in the same one so it won't help with the problem of the Hebrews only having one religion (which was already solved, by having Jewish Theology in the second slot.)

20. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

Pretty fricken complicated dudes. I say take out the harbor from trading company, and make it give a courthouse type corruption reducer in every city.

call it Customs House, and make it available ONLY with the wonder.

Although, with an advantage that immense, it might be a better idea to reduce trading company to small wonder status, and make it dependent on an invisible resource in/near the capital of civs that had colonial empires (russia, france, england, netherlands, portugal, germany to an extent, spain, china maybe, japan maybe, usa maybe).

That way they can build colonies without having them be megasucky.

I still think the best solution to the problem of hyper expensive settlers is making the palace produce them at 20 turn intervals, but that would create plenty of problems on its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.