Rhye's of Europe Civ Discussion Thread

This one guy made a mod that made sure you'd only get great peeps from your civilization, can we do that for RFC Europe? If some civs are lacking in people I could work on that.

Do you know where the mod is, if I can just copy the code it would be easier, otherwise I would rather do the dynamic civ names first (after come cleaning on the Faith)

Do you know where the mod is, if I can just copy the code it would be easier, otherwise I would rather do the dynamic civ names first (after come cleaning on the Faith)

Right here, it was on the wiki. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=199344

It's kind of old though, and I think the download link isn't even working. If you can obtain the code necessary to get civ specific great people, I can do the names myself.

Right here, it was on the wiki. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=199344

It's kind of old though, and I think the download link isn't even working. If you can obtain the code necessary to get civ specific great people, I can do the names myself.

What they have done works, but is very bad in terms of the code. If we follow what they are doing, we need to add about 150 more units to the mod ... nope.

I will see if I can figure out another way.

What they have done works, but is very bad in terms of the code. If we follow what they are doing, we need to add about 150 more units to the mod ... nope.

I will see if I can figure out another way.

I'm not sure what the problem is. We've already got at least 2 or 3 Great People in every category of every civ in the mod. At least 5 per category per civ in some cases. I know, because I spent weeks researching them and a few more have been added since. Do we really need to code each to arise only for a specific civ? I don't think you'll have an easy time coding that or will even have the time to do it.. Nor do I see any real necessity for it.

I'm not sure what the problem is. We've already got at least 2 or 3 Great People in every category of every civ in the mod. At least 5 per category per civ in some cases. I know, because I spent weeks researching them and a few more have been added since. Do we really need to code each to arise only for a specific civ? I don't think you'll have an easy time coding that or will even have the time to do it.. Nor do I see any real necessity for it.

We have enough Great People, coding them nation per nation is the issue. The way the mod has it, it basically has distinct units French Great General, French Great Prophet, German Great Genera, German Great Prophet ... All those are separate units in the game. If nothing else, they will make civilopdedia look really ugly.

I want to make it: A Great Engineer is born in Germany -> pick a name from the German list. That way we would have only one Great Engineer Unit.

We have enough Great People, coding them nation per nation is the issue. The way the mod has it, it basically has distinct units French Great General, French Great Prophet, German Great Genera, German Great Prophet ... All those are separate units in the game. If nothing else, they will make civilopdedia look really ugly.

I want to make it: A Great Engineer is born in Germany -> pick a name from the German list. That way we would have only one Great Engineer Unit.

OK. That's pretty easy to do if we confine ourselves to a max. of 3 GPs of each category for each nation. I can take the present list and relist them as per 1,2,3 for each civ. Would that do? There is a full list if michael wants to look at it.

OK. That's pretty easy to do if we confine ourselves to a max. of 3 GPs of each category for each nation. I can take the present list and relist them as per 1,2,3 for each civ. Would that do? There is a full list if michael wants to look at it.

The list yes, now I have to force the game engine to pick depending on the nation.

Jessiecat and Michael Vick, the file posted by Jessiecat is important, but a more important file is: RFCEurope\Assets\XML\Units\Civ4UnitInfos.xml

Towards the en of the file, you have things that look like:
Code:
<UnitInfo>

<Class>UNITCLASS_SCIENTIST</Class>

<Type>UNIT_SCIENTIST</Type>

<UniqueNames>

<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_MERIT_PTAH</UniqueName>

<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_XI_LING_SHI</UniqueName>

<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NABU_RIMANNI</UniqueName>

<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_SOCRATES</UniqueName>

<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_PLATO</UniqueName>
<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ARISTOTLE</UniqueName>
<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_EUCLID</UniqueName>
<UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_PTOLEMY</UniqueName>

You have one such block for engineers, scientist, prophets, spies ....

If you can take those names and order them by nations, i.e. put the three Burgundian engineers first, then the three Byzantine ones then the three French ones and so on (and if you can even do that in chronological order, it would be even better). Then I can code it so that only specific names are taken for the specific nation.

You can add tags that look like:
Code:
<!-- Burgundy starts here -->
<!-- Byzantium starts here -->

I this makes some sense.

You mean this one?

Yes, that's the one.

OK. I'll start working on some on some lists in the morning. It's gone midnight and my pumpkin awaits.
Don't tell her I said that.;)

Oh BTW. Were the olive files any use to you? I can upload any bit of Warlords code you need.

OK. I'll start working on some on some lists in the morning. It's gone midnight and my pumpkin awaits.
Don't tell her I said that.;)

Oh BTW. Were the olive files any use to you? I can upload any bit of Warlords code you need.

The Olive Graphics is somewhat lousy, but other than that everything works. When I get out the new version, you and everyone else, should look at the graphics and say what you think.

Olives look great, although they seem to vary in appearance from place to place. In my game the Arabian olive plantation in the Levant looked very healthy and prosperous with big green olives, whereas the Andalusian one near Qurtubah looked rather unappealing, with brown olives and wilted trees.. Also I got some locations wrong in the map, right now there is an olive resource on the Tunis spawn, which actually makes the city look really nice from an artistic point of view, but would probably be better off in plantation form. Also, I seriously think that Spain and Sardinia should each get one more olive resource, this way Genoa can get them and Spain can actually trade the olives to more than one civ. I'll make some changes in the next map I make, which will include that Verily's changes to the Austrian and German maps.

Any more thoughts on the Navy discussions that we had in the art thread? This issue should be resolved soon so players can start getting used to the new system. Also because I can't stand to see triremes and cogges so popular in the mediterranean.

Olive trees, like most other resources and farms in fact, look different when they are being used by a city. So, Cordoba doesn't use it's olive resource, and Arabia does. It's a nice touch and also useful to see which tiles the city works without go to the city screen.

I just had another idea. Currently, the diplomatic modifier "you have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion" and "we care for brothers and sisters of the faith" is dependent on era and leader. With the new faith point system, we may also include the number of faith points. So, a civ with lots of faith points will be loved more by civs with the same religion, but hated more by civs with a different religion. Thoughts?

I just had another idea. Currently, the diplomatic modifier "you have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion" and "we care for brothers and sisters of the faith" is dependent on era and leader. With the new faith point system, we may also include the number of faith points. So, a civ with lots of faith points will be loved more by civs with the same religion, but hated more by civs with a different religion. Thoughts?

It does depend on the leader and it does depend on the Faith Points.

Olives look great, although they seem to vary in appearance from place to place. In my game the Arabian olive plantation in the Levant looked very healthy and prosperous with big green olives, whereas the Andalusian one near Qurtubah looked rather unappealing, with brown olives and wilted trees.. Also I got some locations wrong in the map, right now there is an olive resource on the Tunis spawn, which actually makes the city look really nice from an artistic point of view, but would probably be better off in plantation form. Also, I seriously think that Spain and Sardinia should each get one more olive resource, this way Genoa can get them and Spain can actually trade the olives to more than one civ. I'll make some changes in the next map I make, which will include that Verily's changes to the Austrian and German maps.

Any more thoughts on the Navy discussions that we had in the art thread? This issue should be resolved soon so players can start getting used to the new system. Also because I can't stand to see triremes and cogges so popular in the mediterranean.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. You had all the olives right next to Cordoba, that leaves all the hills without mines and drastically lowers the production. I will add olives to Sardinia, but I think 2 is enough for Spain.

Hi, I just have a couple questions about the philosophy used to choose the civs in this mod. I've noticed that, for the most part, there are two civs for each region or language group, i.e. France vs. Burgundy, Kiev vs. Moscow, which is a great way to add conflict to the game. However, some of the choices seem a bit odd. For example, France has Burgundy to compete with to unite Gaul, but Germany is just Germany, from start to finish. This is a little bit odd, as France has been united for a very long time, while Germany was more of a concept than a nation for many years. The replacement of a German nation with Prussia and Saxony would reflect the historical situation better. Italy is properly represented by city states in this mod, however, the choice of civs strikes me as strange. Why have two North Italian city states playable, and have the rest of the peninsula as independents? I think replacing Genoa with a more historically and geographically appropriate Civ, such as the Kingdom of Naples, Sicily, or Sardinia, would be much more appropriate. I understand there have been dozens of pages of discussion, and I've come late to the game, but if someone could explain these choices to me, I'd a bit more satisfied playing this already excellent mod!

Welcome to the mod and thanks for your comments. As someone who was involved in the early discussions about choosing the playable civs, I'll try to answer your questions. It may seem that there's an intention to have regional pairs of rivals but I think that's coincidental. I think the main criteria was to choose civs that were most prominent in the early Middle Ages (1000AD to 1300AD) but to keep them to a bare minimum per area and representative of regional rivalries rather than purely historical.
For example, of the main Italian city states that were developing at that time we decided to stick to two of the most important rivals that were some way apart geographically. After long discussion we decided on Venice and Genoa over Florence, Lucca, Pisa or Milan. We decided against Naples, Sicily and Sardinia as they weren't nearly as important as the northern city states at that time. The Papal Sates are represented by an independent and unplayable Rome. The Papacy plays an important and unique role in the mod, as you will soon see.
By the same logic, the power of Muslim Andalusia in the 900's is countered by the developing Spanish Christian states which are represented by the Kingdom of Leon. We could have included others like Navarre, Castille and Aragon but decided on Leon as it was the earliest. And the space available in Iberia didn't seem enough to accomodate 3 or more civs plus Portugal when it spawns. In the end 2 rival civs seemed appropriate.
The problem of Germany was argued over for months but we couldn't come to a consensus about which 2 or 3 civs to include in such a confined space hemmed on all sides by Burgudy, France and later Poland, Austria and the Netherlands. The favourites were Saxony based at Frankfurt or Koln and Bavaria based at Augsbug, which flips to them when they spawn. Prussia was ruled out because it seems a late starter for what we wanted. The temporary solution was to represent Germany as one civ spawning around Frankfurt and Augsburg as an independent city but it's a poor compromise, I admit. I think we'll have to reconsider the German start again very soon. My choice would be Saxony and Bavaria, as I described above.
I hope that answers some of your points and we do welcome as much imput and suggestions as you can give. This mod is still very much in development and also needs play-testers at every stage. Again, welcome to the project. Cheers.:)

Top Bottom